Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Because of this thread I started playing Fallout 2 with 1 Luck and the perk that makes everyone else critically fumble too.

This is going to be one interesting first playthrough of the game. Any other interesting things I should try, going into it blind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FreshFeesh posted:

Because of this thread I started playing Fallout 2 with 1 Luck and the perk that makes everyone else critically fumble too.

This is going to be one interesting first playthrough of the game. Any other interesting things I should try, going into it blind?

Set your Int as low as possible too.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Anatharon posted:

Iji is basically the Deus Ex of indie games.

If you get hit by a special attack of the final boss, he notices it and will try to use it more. On the other hand, if he uses an attack a few times and it never hits, he'll discard it from his rotation except occasionally to throw it in as a curveball. It makes the fight somewhat harder as it goes on but without resorting to a cheap "Aha! I was holding my REAL POWER FOR THE END!" gimmick.

Also if an explosion knocks you over and you lie still for a bit, enemies will assume you're dead unless one walks up to you, in which case they'll check and realize you're alive.

Nearly every sector of the game has a terminal that will revive you (once) if you die, if you've activated it. The last sector is exceptionally long so it has two. It's the only sector to have a full boss inside of it, as opposed to after. If you die to him, revive, and come back, he'll gloat about how happy he is that he gets to kill you twice.

But if you fight him, die, fight him, die, and fight him again he's both absolutely flabbergasted and pissed off. :allears:

Also. In order to do a pacifist run, you are required to have both weapons skills maxed out.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Also. In order to do a pacifist run, you are required to have both weapons skills maxed out.

Wait, what? What's the logic behind this?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

FredMSloniker posted:

You need to use certain weapons in certain areas to bypass boss encounters.

In fact, if you have one of these weapons earlier than you're "meant" to, using it against an assassin early on will cause him to literally poo poo himself in fear and run off rather than his usual cackle and teleport escape.

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Mar 15, 2015

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

It's been years since I played Iji last but for example there is a weapon that if you fire it, launches you in the sky and allows you to reach areas you couldn't by jumping.

Edit: 6 years to be exact. Maybe I should give it a replay. I had a blast.

Medieval Medic has a new favorite as of 14:27 on Mar 15, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Iji is pretty much Little Things In Games, The Video Game. If you can do something in that game, playstyle-wise or otherwise, it'll have something to say about it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

Iji is pretty much Little Things In Games, The Video Game. If you can do something in that game, playstyle-wise or otherwise, it'll have something to say about it.

If you smack your head into a bunch of light bulbs on the first map, Iji's portrait will have shards of glass in her hair during the end of level conversation. :downs:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Set your Int as low as possible too.

I wouldn't do it your first run because it's harder to appreciate the changes if you havent seen the "normal" dialouge.

If you absolutely have to though, set it to 3. That'll give you the same "stupid dialouge" as an INT of 1 or 2 but you'll at least have some skill points.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Sadly, you can't side with one faction or the other. I tried.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well yeah but that's because the plot demands that in the end both of them are against Iji. There is a moment early on where you can form a temporary truce with one or the other though, although because of the game's limitations they tell you the truce is broken when you screw with one of their guys (i.e. touch them, because 2D video game).

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

FreshFeesh posted:

Well you did it wrong, with 1 Luck and Jinxed you're going to be loving yourself up. You need 10 Luck so you don't gently caress up too much, but enemies explode themselves constantly.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Medieval Medic posted:

It's been years since I played Iji last but for example there is a weapon that if you fire it, launches you in the sky and allows you to reach areas you couldn't by jumping.

Edit: 6 years to be exact. Maybe I should give it a replay. I had a blast.

I don't remember that weapon, but that may be why I could never find the item that turned all the dialogue into nonsense. I think that the specific thing for the no kills ending is that there's a thing you have to destroy behind an impenetrable wall, so you need all the points in weapons to use the gun that shoots through walls. The game lets you use an in-universe skill reset to shuffle around your points before and after you need to do this, too.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Red Minjo posted:

I don't remember that weapon, but that may be why I could never find the item that turned all the dialogue into nonsense. I think that the specific thing for the no kills ending is that there's a thing you have to destroy behind an impenetrable wall, so you need all the points in weapons to use the gun that shoots through walls. The game lets you use an in-universe skill reset to shuffle around your points before and after you need to do this, too.

Well. There's two. Firing the big blue plasma ball gun at a wall can be used to rocket jump. The nuke also causes you to do a small, shallow jump backward, which is needed to reach at least one secret as all other methods aren't shallow enough to make it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The best way to get Nano (EXP/Money) originally on a pacifist run was to facetank rockets or other explosives. The splash damage would damage/kill the person firing it or their buddies so you could collect the Nano left. :downs:

CJacobs posted:

If you're at max ammo but playing as a pacifist, there's a Komato log was flabbergasted as to what you're doing with all of it. First he assumes it might be a misguided attempt at trying to stave their army of supplies before concluding you're just trying to make a black hole in the most impractical way possible.

Red Minjo posted:

Yeah, combining the strongest Komato and Tasen weapon makes a lightning cannon that penetrates the barrier.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

FreshFeesh posted:

This is a terrible idea.

Edit for content: wasteland 2 has the best list system ever. When you loot a corpse it loots all the corpses around it. Saves a lot of clicking.

Zig-Zag has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Mar 16, 2015

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I figure by playing a punch-robot I wouldn't have to deal with the critical fumbles in any disastrous way. Maybe I'll restart with Int 1 as well just for a lark.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Here's the thing, those gimmick play throughs are viable and fun when you've already beaten the game and generally know what you're doing/know the quests and areas, but if you're doing it your first time it's not fun (especially the 1 Luck run) and the other route (low Int) cuts you off from a huge amount of content.

EDIT: Combat is already slow and painful and unfun. That's the only thing FO3 really has in common.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

And it ain't that bad, because you can hack yourself and respec skills. Sometimes you need strength to kick down doors or hitpoints to survive rocket jumps, sometimes you need those high-grade weapons to bypass boss fights.

One of the more obvious little touches in Iji is that the battle shouts, dialogue and enemy logs change based on your body count. Iji will apologize for the first kills, but will become more and more bloodthirsty towards the end. Especially if Dan dies, at which point she becomes a delusional berserker.

One of my favourites

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Playing Zeus/Poseidon again because there's just nothing like old-school citybuilders, and it's a paragon of the genre. I wasn't aware of the theory of classical statues being painted bright colors ~15 years ago when the game was mainstream, but the big main statues on each Sanctuary are painted up appropriately bright and gaudy, which is a pretty neat touch. Aphrodite has a purple and blue gown, Artemis has a bright blue toga, the statues are fantastic. :3:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Everything about act 5-4 in Hotline Miami 2. Saw the scenario coming though I thought it'd be mission for Jacket.
Hell of thing prying sympathy for a character I happily thumbed the eyes out of in HM1

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The Library level in Metro Redux is absolutely terrifying, in no small part due to its inhabitants. I woke the last one and it took about 30 shotgun shells to the face before it went down.

The lighting in this game is mindblowing too.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

TheKennedys posted:

Playing Zeus/Poseidon again because there's just nothing like old-school citybuilders, and it's a paragon of the genre. I wasn't aware of the theory of classical statues being painted bright colors ~15 years ago when the game was mainstream, but the big main statues on each Sanctuary are painted up appropriately bright and gaudy, which is a pretty neat touch. Aphrodite has a purple and blue gown, Artemis has a bright blue toga, the statues are fantastic. :3:

I love you. I'm not the only person still in love with this game! I still play it ever 2 years or so. I managed to find d the Chinese one at a flea market last year!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NonzeroCircle posted:

The Library level in Metro Redux is absolutely terrifying, in no small part due to its inhabitants. I woke the last one and it took about 30 shotgun shells to the face before it went down.

The lighting in this game is mindblowing too.

In the novel the Librarians are even creepier because they could talk.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Awesome, I'm waiting til I've finished the game before reading it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In Hotline Miami 2, some of the characters discuss getting from one building to another with one of them being unsure he could make it. The game takes away the option to choose who you play as, and the level progresses without any mention of unsure character. After beating the level, you find out he couldn't jump the gap, based on a large corpse outline.

The very last mission makes it pretty clear that it was The Son, who exterminated the Fans all across the building during his turbo-LSD spirit journey, finishing with Alex and Ash on the roof before stepping on the rainbow bridge to Valhalla. He was so hosed up that he never even saw the pavement coming.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

scamtank posted:

The very last mission makes it pretty clear that it was The Son, who exterminated the Fans all across the building during his turbo-LSD spirit journey, finishing with Alex and Ash on the roof before stepping on the rainbow bridge to Valhalla. He was so hosed up that he never even saw the pavement coming.

He hadn't finished the game yet when he posted that :ssh:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

scamtank posted:

Really, whatever misgivings I may have had with HLM2 the final level was loving incredible. The fact that developers previously said that they had listened to the complaints about the first game and there wouldn't be any bosses just made it that much more surprising whenyou wind up fighting the crazy hallucinated monster forms of The Fans, especially since I didn't piece together what all the weird monsters were supposed to be until I realized exactly why the giant swan monster had two heads :aaa:

And from a story perspective it's also like a giant Rosetta stone that makes all the jumping around in time and between characters come together in a satisfying conclusion despite half the cast having died off beforehand and the rest dying when the nukes go off at the end. Even the weird psychedelic artwork they used to promote the game and on the cover of of the 3 LP collection became that much better because the final level gives it significance:

Also the pills that The Son takes are the same ones that the one goon takes before heading out to his final mission when he decides that he wants out, which makes him being beaten to death by The Fans while tripping balls that much more sad because you realize how horrifying it must have looked to him :stonk:

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Mar 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

He hadn't finished the game yet when he posted that :ssh:

Stop stalking me. :(

Gotta admit though, I'm not feeling the replayability of HLM2.

On the upside though, I grabbed Binary Domain recently thanks to an LP thread and steam sale and holy poo poo how have I missed such an awesome game? The character dialogue between main characters is stellar and I wish more games were like it.

Nekodoshi
Aug 4, 2007

I'm only as smart as the content of my posts.
So I just recently got heavily involved in playing Final Fantasy XIV, their newish MMO, and this game is just gorgeous. There are semi-random weather changes in areas, and I just got caught in a rainstorm in the desert region of Thanalan, and ducked into a building to hand in a quest.. and I can hear the rain hitting the rooftop and droplets leaking somewhere.

Another subtle touch is how different clothes will make different sounds when walked in, like leather vs cloth. Also, the constant namedrops, music and plot elements from all the other final fantasies is making this game very nostalgic too. In fact, I think the directly lifted some of the enemy models from XII, especially the elementals.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I didn't have to, you posting that means you hadn't finished the game yet because at the end you find out what really happened. v:v:v

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nekodoshi posted:

enemy models from XII, especially the elementals.

XII elementals are just glowing orbs duder.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NonzeroCircle posted:

Awesome, I'm waiting til I've finished the game before reading it.

That's probably a good idea as one of the endings of the game is exactly the same as the end of the book. Although the middle parts are completely different.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rigged Death Trap posted:

XII elementals are just glowing orbs duder.

Well the Entites are big orbs.

The Elementals are clouds of whatever.

The elementals are also ironically harder to find than entites and aren't as memorable as those big glowy orbs o' doom that wreck you for having the audacity to cast Cure.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Hotline Miami 2

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

On the upside though, I grabbed Binary Domain recently thanks to an LP thread and steam sale and holy poo poo how have I missed such an awesome game? The character dialogue between main characters is stellar and I wish more games were like it.
"Ni hao!" *dainty wave*

I love Binary Domain. I like the way the robot enemies react to being shot apart, and the way you can make them attack their own side.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Gotta admit though, I'm not feeling the replayability of HLM2.

If you're anything like me, be prepared to be really annoyed near the end when the best character in the game just leaves and never comes back.

And even more annoyed when you learn there is a way to get him to stay, which you did, but the game bugged out apparently.

It has been years and I am still salty about this. I loved that guy, but there was no way I was replaying the whole game.

I'm terms of little things in the game, I loved the in-game advertisements for real-life-brand Tully's coffee. The ones that would swing down on articulated arms and engulf your entire field of view if the game realized you weren't looking at them long enough. It was such a ballsy move that I couldn't hate it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just notice a fantastic bit of foreshadowing in Alan Wake. The game is jam-packed full of little references to things that will happen later because it's incorporated into the plot, but outside of the manuscript pages you can find and even the cutscenes sometimes they manage to sneak little gems in. In the little Super Obvious Twin Peaks Reference scene near the beginning of the game, a character makes a remark about the good coffee at the diner and Alan's self-professed biggest fan says this to Alan in response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aUCWj-MbSs&t=280s

It's a completely innocent remark unless you remember that a few hours of gameplay later, this poor sap is taken away by the darkness and turned into a new special type of enemy. I've played the game like five times and every time I catch a new hint of what's to come that I didn't notice before :allears:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
You went back and played through all of Alan Wake 5 different times? To each their own but uhhh.... are you poor and can't aford any other games or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

You went back and played through all of Alan Wake 5 different times? To each their own but uhhh.... are you poor and can't aford any other games or something?

I would much rather play Alan Wake five times than play FFX once