Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

The current rules are that you don't have to remind opponents of their own beneficial missed triggers, right? I had an opponent get my Courser of Kruphix off an Ashiok and they missed a life gain trigger from it. Am I a scumbag cheater for noticing it and not reminding them?

This was at a GPT under competitive REL.

Not at all, at comp it's their problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chill la Chill posted:

I never believed there could be a good online magic comic but here we are. Thank you. Maybe there was a good goatkcd one
I always like Pro MTG Online, but it helps if you're more familiar with how earnest the guy behind it is.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

The current rules are that you don't have to remind opponents of their own beneficial missed triggers, right? I had an opponent get my Courser of Kruphix off an Ashiok and they missed a life gain trigger from it. Am I a scumbag cheater for noticing it and not reminding them?

This was at a GPT under competitive REL.

You're good. If you need to check the rules for yourself, it's covered by MTR 4.4, and IPG 2.1

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

suicidesteve posted:

Not using the old rules! You kids and your new rules. Back in my day we had mana burn and damage on the stack and Morphling was the strongest creature and it was excellent. :colbert:

Pretty sure I actually played magic before that particular opponent was born. :corsair:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

A year or so back Huey Jensen was playing a teenager that hadn't been born yet while he was on the pro tour, possibly wasn't born before his first pro tour win.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

So Rise of the Eldrazi flashbacks are coming in this week and I'm gonna hit a few up, although I've never done it.

Anyone have a good guide on how I should go about it (other than "play Drana")? Not familiar with that format at all.

The main thing is being aware of all the viable (and even fringe) archetypes, as they fall less along simplistic color-pair lines and more along synergistic ones. It'll help you evaluate cards that appear on the border of playability which are in fact solid staples of one archetype (ie: Distortion Strike or Goblin Tunneler in a Kiln Fiend deck, or Vent Sentinel in the surprisingly-sometimes-good Walls.dec) but filler or useless in another archetype that shares a color.

When in doubt for your first attempt, just drafting good UW levelers or a green ramp strategy into Ulamog's Crusher (or a better uncommon/rare eldrazi if you open one) are straightforward enough for anyone to draft just fine.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
guys that play modo, is pauper a good way to get more tix? I have a desire to start playing cards in my underwear without spending hundreds of dollars

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Random question re: templating for my draft cube.

I have a card that behaves like the Conspiracy artifact creatures. When you draft it, you choose a player, then each of you gives the other one of their own picks of their own choice. I have no clue how to give this a clean templating. Any suggestions?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pauper used to be really good value for the dailies. I'm not so sure now, given they lowered the prize support on both those and Momir Basic; the best format for loving around.

Kasonic posted:

I have a card that behaves like the Conspiracy artifact creatures. When you draft it, you choose a player, then each of you gives the other one of their own picks of their own choice. I have no clue how to give this a clean templating. Any suggestions?

You may draft ~ face up, if you do, select a player. Exchange one card of your choice from your draft selections with another card of their choice from their draft selections.

Would that work?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 16, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kasonic posted:

Reveal ~ as you draft it, then choose another player. That player gives you a card from his or her card pool, and you give that player a card from your card pool.

(However, I'm not sure how to deal with a problem this card has: Players tend to draft at different speeds. You might have to make it so it's at the end of a booster pack, but that would make the card less good.)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Do you want an "another" somewhere in there? Because technically the card that you just drafted is in your card pool, so you could just give them that card (probably poo poo except for the draft trigger) for something that's probably less poo poo, especially in a cube.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Also make it a "may" trigger so there's no cheating

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

A big flaming stink posted:

guys that play modo, is pauper a good way to get more tix? I have a desire to start playing cards in my underwear without spending hundreds of dollars

Pauper has a ridiculously cheap buy in depending on the deck you want. Block constructed is also cheap. Grinding those two you can be infinite I suppose. Basically never play limited.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dr. Stab posted:

You're good. If you need to check the rules for yourself, it's covered by MTR 4.4, and IPG 2.1

At FNM, I had an opponent who kept missing the triggers on his Scroll of the Masters and then remembering them later in the turn where he corrected it. Once he remembered one on the following turn when we had gone to combat and I was considering attacks. I said it was a missed trigger at that point, and some other people jumped up my rear end about a new rule saying triggers that aren't "may" can't be missed, and you have to rewind the game to correct them.

What was the deal with that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Devor posted:

The deal was the other people were wrong, baby

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The deal was the other people were wrong, baby

gently caress 'em, then. Not like I was attacking into the +5/+5 buff instead of a +6/+6 though :cripes:

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Yes, especially now that there are more dailies. You might want to wait for the next banning announcement though, the format is currently a teeny bit broken, currently 61% Cruise and 44% Delver. Turns out Treasure Cruise and Delver are pretty good magic cards in formats with good cantrips, who knew?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Pauper used to be really good value for the dailies. I'm not so sure now, given they lowered the prize support on both those and Momir Basic; the best format for loving around.

You may draft ~ face up, if you do, select a player. Exchange one card of your choice from your draft selections with another card of their choice from their draft selections.

Would that work?

Pauper is the same prize payout as any other daily isn't it?
Is the format fun since they gave storm and post the axe? Just looking at some recent results it seems like there are even less viable decks than before.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Okay now that we've seen all of the cards in Dragons of Tarkir, what are you guys thinking will be the updates to existing decks, and what (if any) new decks do you think are poised to be really good once the cards are out there?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Numot the Devastator, because it has :911: colors and it flies in for a direct hit that destroys two structures from the air.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Okay now that we've seen all of the cards in Dragons of Tarkir, what are you guys thinking will be the updates to existing decks, and what (if any) new decks do you think are poised to be really good once the cards are out there?

I'm not sure, but I'm going Gruul and rakdos at the prerelease Saturday.

Although I think the atarka command will be going in my modern burn deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think there could be a Dragons deck, but I have serious doubts it can really be a top tier deck.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I think there could be a Dragons deck, but I have serious doubts it can really be a top tier deck.

since they didn't print any low mana whelps, dragon tribal is going to be a pretty lovely deck

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

since they didn't print any low mana whelps, dragon tribal is going to be a pretty lovely deck

I think you play it as a ramp deck with Thunderbreak, Stormbreath, Sarkhan 4 (maybe?) and perhaps baby Atarka?

I doubt it would be great, but I think if you wanted to get all Johnny you could win a few matches with it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think Bant control will become a playable t2 archetype but with no extremely good reason to play it over U/B or Abzan.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

whateverfor posted:

Yes, especially now that there are more dailies. You might want to wait for the next banning announcement though, the format is currently a teeny bit broken, currently 61% Cruise and 44% Delver. Turns out Treasure Cruise and Delver are pretty good magic cards in formats with good cantrips, who knew?

Don't those decks use daze, which is something crazy like 25 tix online?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yes. There are moxen that literally cost the same as a Daze.
e: okay, apparently Emeralds and Pearls have gone up a couple dollars. Still almost as much.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I wanna try something ridiculous with a bunch of Dash creatures and Impact Tremors.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Some of them do. MUC doesn't, but Serrated Arrows is still pretty expensive. Hydroblast too but isn't strictly necessary.

There are still playable decks that can 4-0 and honestly you only need to 4-0 sometimes to stay infinite. Affinity, Stompy, some Familiar decks are all pretty cheap and fine as well. Most of the Pauper decks you can be competitive with don't run over 30-40 tix, and some Stompy lists can be had for around 10.

Daze is singularly more expensive than many entire decks.

edit: Since the dude asked about Cloudpost while it is gone Tron is sort of a thing now and something you can win with.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Shampulse is going to do a lot for control and Jeskai decks by helping them with card selection, and Dragon Fodder will almost certainly replace Raise the Alarm to help with Stoke. I think Monastery Mentor might finally be able to break out post DTK, but it's also reasonable to suggest that the cards that have been released benefit Rabblemaster as much if not more.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That's a horse not a dragon. Don't care if anyone beat me to this.

Any results from eternal extravaganza 2?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

rabidsquid posted:

Some of them do. MUC doesn't, but Serrated Arrows is still pretty expensive. Hydroblast too but isn't strictly necessary.

There are still playable decks that can 4-0 and honestly you only need to 4-0 sometimes to stay infinite. Affinity, Stompy, some Familiar decks are all pretty cheap and fine as well. Most of the Pauper decks you can be competitive with don't run over 30-40 tix, and some Stompy lists can be had for around 10.

Daze is singularly more expensive than many entire decks.

edit: Since the dude asked about Cloudpost while it is gone Tron is sort of a thing now and something you can win with.

Are there any decent substitutes for hydroblast/pyroblast in the sideboard? Some of these decks I could make for just a couple tix except for those in the board. Didn't know they were so expensive online.

The tron lists I'm seeing look fun, and I could make white tokens for like 2 tix except for the flagbearers.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Devor posted:

At FNM, I had an opponent who kept missing the triggers on his Scroll of the Masters and then remembering them later in the turn where he corrected it. Once he remembered one on the following turn when we had gone to combat and I was considering attacks. I said it was a missed trigger at that point, and some other people jumped up my rear end about a new rule saying triggers that aren't "may" can't be missed, and you have to rewind the game to correct them.

That's not at a rule. However, since it's regular REL, my opinion on the matter would be "c'mon man, let the guy have his trigger."

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You can play Blue Elemental Blast, I think? I forget if there's an effective difference or not.

Grinding pauper was one of those things where I know I've done it and I know I made some amount of tix and yet have no recollection of the experience. Yikes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The closest thing to a dragon deck I can see emerging is some kind of RBx build with Thunderbreak, Stormbreath and a couple of OG Kolaghan as its finishers. Kolaghan is actually pretty good and I think having a few more dragons to help pump his burst damage to insane levels might be enough to put him over the top.

Angry Grimace posted:

Myth Realized and Dragon Fodder seem like good potential additions to Jeskai Token builds. I thought Narset sounded sweet earlier, but on second thoughts she's probably too slow here. Some of the rebound spells could be good here too.
Anticipate seems like a shoo-in for all blue control builds and maybe tokens.
Ultimate Price is going to see play but it's not clear whether its Siege Rhino problems will see it relegated to the sideboard.
Silumgar's Command seems like a good sideboard for UB in slower matchups.
Shaman of Forgotten Ways seems like a decent mana dork and a powerful GW hoser for Gx decks.
Commune with Lava seems good for GR decks.
Collected Company seems like it could be good in Abzan Aggro if the deck is adjusted a bit.
New Zurgo is going straight in RDW. Dragon Fodder and Ire Shaman could also be good. Roast, Twin bolt and Magmatic Chasm all seem like interesting options for it depending on the metagame (they're good against midrange, tokens/aggro and Gx respectively).

In terms of new/revived archetypes:
UW control: Narset and Ojutai's Command are both pretty cool, but white's removal pool is still just obviously worse than black's. I don't think a couple of sweet top-end cards are enough to change that, but I could be wrong.
Mono Blue Devotion: Shorecrasher Elemental is really good and I think blue got some other cool creatures this time around (like Stratus Dancer and Silumgar Sorceror), but we're still missing that crucial non-Mindreaver UU drop.
BWx Warriors: Blood-Chin Rager is pretty excellent. It's likely to remain a gimmick deck but I can imagine it snatching a lot of games between this and Arashin Foremost.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Shampulse is going to do a lot for control and Jeskai decks by helping them with card selection, and Dragon Fodder will almost certainly replace Raise the Alarm to help with Stoke. I think Monastery Mentor might finally be able to break out post DTK, but it's also reasonable to suggest that the cards that have been released benefit Rabblemaster as much if not more.

I think mardu king will switch out raise the alarm for dragon fodder, and I might cut murderous cut for two Kolaghan commands, and maybe cut a plains for a third, since I would only have 2 main deck spells needing white: Crackling Doom and Soulfire Grand Master.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Red and Blue Elemental Blast are uncommons on MTGO.

You can't really replace either Hydro or Pyroblast, but realistically all you're doing is costing yourself some percentage points out of board. You would have to play a LOT of Pauper for those to add up to the cost of the actual cards.

Also you are going to want like a 50-100 ticket buffer when attempting to be infinite because unless you're extremely skilled while you basically only need a 50% win rate to be infinite variance is going to happen.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Spiderdrake posted:

You can play Blue Elemental Blast, I think? I forget if there's an effective difference or not.

Grinding pauper was one of those things where I know I've done it and I know I made some amount of tix and yet have no recollection of the experience. Yikes.

The difference is that beb is an uncommon on modo.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Spiderdrake posted:

You can target nonblue spells & permanents with pyroblast, but I don't think that's super applicable in pauper.
So no, not really
E: oh, they are? Aww.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Oh also new Silumar is going to be a dope card in control. Sower for all permanents? I can get behind that.

• Locked thread