Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm going to vote for the party whose leader has never written stuff for the Sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

marktheando posted:

I'm going to vote for the party whose leader has never written stuff for the Sun.

Who the gently caress votes Lib Dem?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Who the gently caress votes Lib Dem?

Clegg has written things for the Sun before.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

marktheando posted:

Clegg has written things for the Sun before.

Of course he has.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

marktheando posted:

So the Scottish Greens?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Extreme0 posted:

So the Scottish Greens?

Well yeah, except I'm not actually going to vote Green.

Actually Sturgeon hasn't written for the Sun as far as I can tell from a quick google.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
No but she did do a bit of modelling for them.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

If he didnt want it serialised in a paper he can stop it. loving hell honestly this is what you're going with?

I'm no fan Salmond or the Sun, but you're getting het up over nothing here. Once a newspaper has bought serialization rights the author won't be able to spike it. Serialization rights are generally handled by publishers. Serialization rights are generally organized well in advance of publication.
Yes, if salmond had said many months ago "don't sell serialization rights to the Sun" then I'm sure his publisher would have agreed, but that would be an extremely unusual request, and would probably have leaked, causing an entirely different set of problems.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Other countries with mythological creatures as national animals include:

Bhutan, Greece, Lebanon and North Korea... which is weird because those aren't countries that instantly spring to mind when you're thinking of places that've got their poo poo together but, hey, there you have it I guess.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
in Somebody Said A Thing news, UKIP MEP and voice of the people David Coburn is getting persecuted by the politically correct brigade for his hilarious banter: https://twitter.com/HumzaYousaf/status/576674927622881280

see it's funny because Yousaf is muslim, and so is terrorism. jeez guys learn to take a joke

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Coburn is everything absolutely appalling that I feared he'd be when I saw Scotland had elected a UKIP MEP. Jesus that man is a grade A twat.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

It gets better

quote:

Thackeray [UKIP's Scottish Chariman] said: “This is a non-story. David Coburn did not compare Humza Yousaf to convicted terrorist Abu Hamza.

“He simply got a name wrong, which many people do on a daily basis. For example, I very often get referred to as Minty, which I believe is a character from EastEnders, but I don’t take offence at that and run to the papers about Mistyphobia.

“I just accept that sometimes people get a name wrong. It simply was a slip of the tongue.”

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
Mistyphobia is a very serious issue and I won't see it sidelined on these forums :mad:

e: Also remember everyone's favourite water-type gym leader is the person responsible for this lovely remark!

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

keep punching joe posted:

Jim Murphy sniffs glue, and probably also buzzes gas.

I've only just seen the news report on this. I thought you had completely lost it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

jre posted:

I've only just seen the news report on this. I thought you had completely lost it.

It was just the working class thing to do at the time.

Anyway, who suspected that David Coburn MEP was a bigoted oaf?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Yeah, none of your fancy middle class drugs for our Jim.

quote:

Lol, :owned:

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Nicola, Ruth & Willie have taken Marijuana once while Murphy sniffed glue.

Can't help but notice Jim is trying to be part of the cool club.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Extreme0 posted:

Nicola, Ruth & Willie have taken Marijuana once while Murphy sniffed glue.

Can't help but notice Jim is trying to be part of the cool club.

quote:

Will Rennie, leader of the Liberal Democrats, said he had taken cannabis “in my youthful days”.

I bet Willie hit it from a bong.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sure I tried weed like a normal person, but only once and I didn't like it because I am wholesome and not one of those nasty druggies. Such a calculated politician's answer. But still, :lol: at Murphy's answer.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

marktheando posted:

Sure I tried weed like a normal person, but only once and I didn't like it because I am wholesome and not one of those nasty druggies. Such a calculated politician's answer. But still, :lol: at Murphy's answer.

I was thinking that too, as if not liking it meant that it was magically okay that they had knowingly broken the law. I hope they all get cautioned and made to pay fines.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Same pattern as the Tories in Scotland. They know they're basically there to cause trouble.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

That bulge at the back of its neck is its former, human head. It was capable of compassion and rational thought.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

:drat:

lmao

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Anyone catch the Orange Order doing a St Paddy's march in Glasgow today then?

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

Naw. Were you parading?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

A nice counterbalance to Salmond starting the signing tour for his memoir, "No, The Scottish People Really Do Still Want Independence".

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Did Salmond kill your puppy?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Did Salmond kill your puppy?

Did David Cameron kill yours?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Coohoolin posted:

I gave the city centre a bodyswerve this weekend, but apparently it was 'The Regimental Blues' parading rather than the Orange Order.

http://athousandflowers.net/2015/03/15/scotlands-shame-loyalist-bigots-hijack-st-patricks-day-in-glasgow/

quote:

It may be a surprise to Jim to hear that there was a St Patrick’s Day parade through Glasgow city centre today, yet there wasn’t a tricolour or oversized Guinness hat in sight. Rather, the parade was being held by extremist loyalist faction the Regimental Blues – and what’s more, it had been fully sanctioned by Labour-run Glasgow City Council. Incredibly, the march had been allowed to go ahead on the same afternoon as the Scottish League Cup final, with Celtic taking on Dundee United at Hampden, and passed several packed Celtic pubs on its route near the city’s Gallowgate.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Did David Cameron kill yours?

I work with people with leaning difficulties and cut backs all across Britain have directly affected my client's happiness.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

I work with people with leaning difficulties and cut backs all across Britain have directly affected my client's happiness.

Have they tried finding a nice sturdy wall to do it against

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Although I suppose it must be even more difficult with a cut back

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jedit posted:

A nice counterbalance to Salmond starting the signing tour for his memoir, "No, The Scottish People Really Do Still Want Independence".

Funny you should say that.

The vast majority of Scots believe the country will become independent, according to a major study carried about by researchers at the University of Edinburgh.

A UK-wide survey of more than 7,000 voters found that 69 per cent of Scots believed Scotland would at some point become independent. This view was shared by 59 per cent of those who took part in England and Northern Ireland and 54 per cent of those in Wales.

The poll is set to frighten those who campaigned for the union last year. Prime Minister David Cameron famously described the constitutional issue as “settled” following last year’s referendum.

Last September, in a historic vote, Scots rejected independence by 55 per cent to 45 per cent.

However, the referendum sparked a renewal of political engagement across the country and the survey suggests that this has maintained.

It found that 76 per cent of Scots say they will vote in May’s General Election compared to 63 per cent in England, 64 per cent in Wales and 55 per cent in Northern Ireland.

Meanwhile, the contrast among young people is even more stark, with almost double the amount set to vote in Scotland than in England.

Nearly two thirds (65 per cent) of 18 and 19 year olds in Scotland say they will take part in the vote, compared to just a third (34 per cent) in England.

https://commonspace.scot/articles/698/vast-majority-of-people-believe-scotland-will-become-an-independent-country

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Funny you should say that.

Note that your survey does not include when Scotland will become independent as a metric. That percentage includes people who believe Westminster will cut Scotland loose once the oil is gone. It also isn't asking the same question as the referendum, and so includes people who don't think Scotland should be an independent country but believe that it will due to the efforts of the nationalists.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 16, 2015

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's funny because it sweeps up both the pessimists and the optimists.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

The same survey found that 53% of Scots think another referendum should be held within 10 years and only 25% say there should never be another.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Don't do anything reckless like linking to it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

baronvonsabre posted:

The same survey found that 53% of Scots think another referendum should be held within 10 years and only 25% say there should never be another.

And? I don't think there should never be another referendum. I think ten years is too soon to not be a waste of money, even though some of that money would probably be coming to me, but still.

I also think it's fairly safe to assume that the great majority of people who do want a second referendum within a decade are Yes voters, and likewise for the ones who think there should not be a second referendum voting No.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

For anyone interested, here's the Leader's Debate from the QMU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfxVKWaDLpQ

Seemed like a decent debate. I feel like Murphy isn't really confident up there though, he doesn't sell himself or deal with the audience particularly well compared to the other leaders.

Was interesting seeing Sturgeon being grilled on another referendum being put into their 2016 manifesto. I think the SNP are seeing how everything plays out this election before they move one way or another, though I have a suspicion they don't really want one anytime soon unless there's both a Tory Government and an EU referendum that's very close, both of which aren't that likely.

There's also a good joke from Davidson on Murphy which was pretty hilarious.

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Just putting this out there: people that are in the orange order are garbage people hope that helps

• Locked thread