Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

is there a mod that unlocks all the statistics at the start? finally got the material statistic menu and it turns out i built my residential super block over a huge ore placement. pretty frustrating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

is there a mod that unlocks all the statistics at the start? finally got the material statistic menu and it turns out i built my residential super block over a huge ore placement. pretty frustrating!

Look at the ground, resource deposits are visible on the ground. Ore and oil turn the ground dark and rocky, fertile earth tend to be a lighter shade than the nearby terrain. Forests, obviously, are visible easily.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SynthOrange posted:

There's no way to get rid of garbage without a hugely polluting facility is there? Is there any point in building an incinerator over a dump besides space?

Is it possible to build a huge Mr. Fusion Plant power generating incinerator as a mod?

Also, garbage trains and incinerators with rail access :getin:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Zeno-25 posted:

Also, corpse transport trains and incinerators with rail access :getin:

Horrible-ized' that up for ya

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Watched a little girl WALK like 10 blocks across busy crosswalks and through crowds of strangers to get to her elementary school, by herself. Where's the child services building option

Well, a single square is 2km long, which is only 20 min walk. I thought it was weird how everyone in my city walks to work, and then I realized that in real world scale it's a tiny distance.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Has anyone noticed building range being screwed up on one-way roads?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Zeno-25 posted:

Is it possible to build a huge Mr. Fusion Plant power generating incinerator as a mod?

Also, garbage trains and incinerators with rail access :getin:

Add multiplayer in an expansion and let players use trebuchets to dispose of garbage, criminals, or corpses in other player's cities?

First-ish city so far:

It'd be really nice to have the grid overlay available in the asset editor be enabled/disabled on the fly in the game itself, or at least when laying highway infrastructure.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
So I made a district only accessible by train, subway, or plane which is now up to 5000 residents. I have noticed cars coming out of the subway. I should probably get video of this but :effort:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Brightman posted:

So I made a district only accessible by train, subway, or plane which is now up to 5000 residents. I have noticed cars coming out of the subway. I should probably get video of this but :effort:

It's a valid form of travel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bkNfQBLCJw

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I downloaded a bunch of great interchanges! Cool!

poo poo, they're all right hand drive. Colossal really needs to put in a flip function.

EDIT: hang on. Strange. Some have flipped. But the ones from earlier didn't...

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 16, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I downloaded a bunch of great interchanges! Cool!

poo poo, they're all right hand drive. Colossal really needs to put in a flip function.

EDIT: hang on. Strange. Some have flipped. But the ones from earlier didn't...

Download the mod that lets you change one-way direction

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Someone needs to make a mod that changes commercial demand into MORE INDUSTRIAL DEMAND. I need my communist utopia :ussr:

E: also make industry produce happiness

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 16, 2015

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
About 20 hours in and my first city is just about reaching 90k pop and it's barely on the edge of sustainability. It's been quite a learning experience having to solve all the stupid problems like traffic, half your population dying at once, poo water, and traffic. Here are some glamour shots just because

bus stops working as intended

intersections working as intended

bonus traffic shot

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WHY IS MY WATER POLLUTED, I STUCK THE SEWAGE OUTLETS FAR AWAY FROM THE INTAKES

Oh... I put the incinerators next to my water pumps. :v:

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Glamour shot of my first city:

I like this game. It scratches an long unscratched itch.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

quote:

System Time Clock - I don't know about you, but I lose gigantic blocks of time playing games like this. I need a real-life clock to keep me aware what time it is. But! It conflicts with the Traffic Report Tool, that mod's button sits on top of this clock, making it unreadable. I just posted a comment asking for this mode to have the clock location changeable.

Use mine! It sits in the bottom right. I haven't seen any mods that would interfere with it yet. Also it's prettier (and doesn't display properly on 16:10 resolutions for now): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407100916

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Weston Bay is becoming a (beautiful) trainwreck. Everything is going swell and I'm making loads of money (maybe more per capita than the Mars Colony at this point!) but traffic between the first area and the rest of the map is loving horrendous and it's causing backups all the way to the shore. and worst of all THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT. The slopes are so steep that there's really only a few configurations I can place roads, especially high-load ones that could help things. Buh. Anyway:

A new neighborhood appears! The citizens are pleased with the selection of shopping malls and megacenters, and outsiders are happy to move into the crowded tenements.

From the small island and its little inlet, wealthy residents can look across the pond at Boorman Terrace. According to the engineer's report, running metro tunnels here was alarmingly difficult and kludgy.

The sun may set on Weston Bay, but the day doesn't end for everyone—late night shoppers, gamblers, and workers supplying labor for our heavy manufacturing sector still hustle across town.

The new harbour provides an easier route for farmers and a new manufacturing center to ship Weston Bay's sought-after tropical fruits and exceptionally-engineered appliances all over the world.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

My city sofar with no mods or anything and I want to see how many archivements I can get from 1 city.

Can't fit all on the map so here:

One of the biggest problems I have had is I over educated pretty much everyone for the industrial zone which I ended up replacing with offices, but dropped from making +30k down to like +500, so trying to expand out in the bottom left for my industral things. Not the prettiest city. Mainly because after working on it for hours and getting the "no more trees can be placed" pop up I kind of gave up on pretty, then discovered you can just deforest and get some back to put in your city. :doh:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
gently caress all water.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
gently caress, I built a dam that wasnt working properly, kept fluctuating from 0 to 100 mW or so, some of my building were losing power because of it, I built a new, bigger drat. Then I spent the last hour working out why all the garbage trucks were getting stuck at the same intersection far away from their home incinerators, finally figured out a traffic solution (after building a $100,000 highway add on that did nothing.

Purple are all garbage trucks, coming from my new massive high density residential area thats a 6 lane one way street. The trucks were all heading back over the bridge through the old part of town to get to the incinerators down there instead of the highway or the localized incinerator which is just off that main road on the big right fork, that two lane was my first attempt at getting them to move around that awkward intersection that was stopping everyone.

While I was busy with the traffic problem on the other side of the map, the new dam had completely cut off the water supply, and stopped flow so my clean water pumps started sucking up backlogged sewage, and I was on 3x mode, got no proper notifications, I realized my self that everyone was sick, and it finally dawned on me, but it was too late and I lost over half my population.

You'd think that would be something that would set off some sort of alarm. Its too easy to get buried in one part of this game and lose track of the rest of it, especially since the rest of it had been running smoothly with nice steady growth for the last few days.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Iterated on last night's designs and I have created a light free, grid hell, city that is flowing much more smoothly

Basically the 6 lane split design from before, except turned into a traffic trident to allow for traffic to get back onto the main trunk rather than be forced to the left or right and the only way back being via a storm drain exit highway. Far fewer services needed for coverage now. It works nearly perfectly, the only upgrade I could think to it so far has been to kill the pathways along the trunk and use it for services rather than putting them at either end of the trunk.

Currently running them in a 13x10 block pattern, with two alternating trunks with highway surrounding each district.

I've been running the trunks of each district opposite each other, either both are inputs, or both are outputs. Highways are exit from the right, enter from the left. The offramp I was worried about, I have a 6 lane bidirectional road in between the offramp splitters, but haven't had any issue at all with all the cross traffic.

The onramp though has been a real pain at merge point. North is Res, South is Commerce. The cars from the Commerce want to go to Residential, and vice versa. If I break the traffic coming from the West, all works well, or if I create . I think the redesign idea here is that no entrance should be done into the main highway line from two directions at once, if any.

I'm pretty happy with the grid design layout, just some small tweaks to make to it. But I'm still not happy with the highways. Either frontage roads, or treating the main highway more like the grid trunks and have everything offramps and traffic has to loop all the way back around once it exits a district. Or both, perhaps.

Edit; Hah, I fixed it simply by breaking the connector roads between the two halfs of the commercial and residential districts.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 16, 2015

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Can someone explain to me why you would ever want to use a highway ramp instead of a 2 lane one way road or something even bigger? The ramp is a single lane road I can't see any upsides to it. Or even just use straight highway to connect with the street?

Vire fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 16, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It throttles the amount of traffic going into your highway. Whether this is desireable or not depends on your layout.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Highway ramps also don't (usually?) create traffic lights when they hit the "destination" road.

Basically, it's as close as we have to a merge lane.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
What are some pro-strats for making rad workable industry connections or road hierarchies because besides the Mars Colony and Rokayapnagar I actually have some massive traffic issues and I'm sure those two are flukes.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Brightman posted:

I've noticed the same thing sometimes. I had some people walking across a footpath, and then pulling their car out of their pocket and driving off. I wish I could do that.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

So in order to unlock some buildings, I built a burner town up to about 5,000 people. I then destroyed all connections to the outside world, destroyed all clinics, and forced them all to drink vile chemical poo poo. Furthermore, I spent all of the taxpayer's money on useless parks and drained the treasury. After that, I saved to keep the buildings, loaded up my previous save, and simply de-zoned all of the industry and commercial zoning, literally destroying all the jobs, in order to force everyone into unemployment.

I guess what I'm saying is that this is a great Obama simulator.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Meis posted:

I CREATED AN ABOMINATION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rswYl7RLRNE

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Noyemi K posted:

What are some pro-strats for making rad workable industry connections or road hierarchies because besides the Mars Colony and Rokayapnagar I actually have some massive traffic issues and I'm sure those two are flukes.

I've been working with an idea of a pair of roundabouts with a pair of bridges (one in each direction) connecting them. All on ramps are in standard highway segments and all off ramps are actual ramps. I set up a big grid for the industry with one way spokes that flow into the grid from different points. If you do this spaced out enough, and have enough off ramps to control the flow, trucks won't sit on far edge lanes since that will ways point to an off ramp they probably don't want. This forces everyone going around the loops to set themselves up for their off ramps just before they get there and thus don't have time to back up traffic for days. I'll post a picture when I get home. The only thing is that the loops must be big enough so that two off ramps aren't close enough to cause trucks to fight over lane changes.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
I know it's bad form to read the Paradox forums but wow there are a (small) bunch of people who are really mad about ... something

quote:

Finally i have been waiting for someone to take the bashing from all the fake pseudo-city building fans which Maxis pissed off with SC2013 but never touched SC 3000 and 4.
Let me tell you something, all you so called C:SL defenders are not real city builders, you are either millenias who have less expectations from life and do not care about quality of a game, or you are so shallow that do not care about a game and just play it for the casual aspect of it.
You are the type of people who sponsor quill18 and other youtubers and get nerdgasms when he makes a city and you copy his playstyle and come here or post "funny" screenshots on reddit and praise CO on how great this game is.
This game is just a casual city builder, it has so many bugs and awkward quirks that makes me cringe and wished that the team from Maxis would storm into CO's offices and say: WTF IS THIS poo poo?
This is a bigger joke than Sim City 2013, and i know why the reviewers gave it such a big score, it was to get revenge on EA and Maxis for fudging up Sim City. This is not a real city builder, it is a revenge game. That is it.
The fact that people teleport to work, that the traffic takes one lane out of 6 lane road to make a turn, the fact that boats go on land because they cannot change their route dynamically, neither can the cars change lanes, the fact that a huge apartment building has 12 people living in it, and a 600K population city is the size of New York, no tunnels at launch, no day or night cycle, no disasters, makes me think that this game was aimed at children, console gamers and frustrated city building fans with no more expectations of a good game in this genre, because EA sucked all the expectations from the real Sim City fans, and now Paradox and CO are just taking advantage from this situation and is rolling in cash, because the fans sayd, "meh... better than that POS Sim City 2013 at least"....
I hope for the sake of the city builders, the real ones, who spent hours in SC4 and modding that Paradox will not pull a Maxis and leave this game in this unfinished state.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Man, I hope that pilot has good aim...

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Zohar posted:

I know it's bad form to read the Paradox forums but wow there are a (small) bunch of people who are really mad about ... something
I knew that these people had to exist, but I love that post so much for bringing that to light. I sure hope for entertainment's sake there are more.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

eggyolk posted:

This "no-commercial demand" bug is killing me. Evidently lots of other people are getting it the same bad mod, but no one seems to know which.

It's because Parks satisfy Tourists and you need a city that isn't fulfilling it's Tourist needs to get Commercial past a certain point. This mod will let you build parks with no Tourists to fix it, but unfortunately mean no one visits your parks.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=408060029

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I am cynical, bitter, and distraught!!! Where is my FREAKING road superelevation Colossal Order? How about some shallower merges Colossal Order?? Why can't I manually adjust lane count COLOSSAL ORDER???

Just look at these poo poo freeway aesthetics :gonk:

Don't worry I'm 99% channeling the Pdox forums

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Zohar posted:

I'm completely talking out my rear end, but I bet that guy originally defended/hyped simcity 5 and is now butt hurt that his illusion got shattered.

"How can you guys like this game? It has bugs! I mean it's not like Maxis ever created any games with bugs! I defy you find one! If you do, you're just a casual who doesn't understand the difficulties of programming..." :jerkbag:

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I wish this game had dystopian policies that could make you tons of money at the expense of "quality of life", not because it's hard to make money in this game but just because it's fun to be a noble dictator like Pol Pot or Fidel, and theres tons of viable ways to run a sovereignty besides Capitalist Utopia.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
So after spending a good amount of time testing roads and watching videos about it, is there ever any reason to use anything but 6-lane and 2-lane roads? It's a drat shame that stop lights are the devil in Skylines, because I think they look cool and when you design a city where nobody ever stops, it doesn't feel like actual traffic in this traffic-heavy game, ironically. Feels like one big slip-n-slide, or something.

Maybe my next project will be a 4-lane gimmick city with miserable congestion.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I magically fixed all my traffic issues by killing ALL THE BUSSES.

How do I make a bus route that does not fill my roads with huge packs of roving traffic dispensers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i dont even care anymore traffic. you win i guess.

• Locked thread