Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah that's pretty much it. Shay blames himself for the incident deep down but projects it on Achilles and the other Assassins because he's emotionally immature I guess, the Templars take advantage of that immaturity and by the time Shay realizes what's happening he's far too gone into the Templars to defect back to the Assassins, so he just rolls with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I thought Shay did have a database entry? I remember reading it under People 'cause I always look for commentary from the modern-day characters

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Arno was a better protagonist than Shay.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

To be honest, Connor wasn't that bad. It's just the disjointed nature of AC 3 that made his characterization all over the place, monotone one minute and weirdly emotional the next. I still kind of want to know what happened to him after the events of AC 3, besides "met up with Aveline and ran some missions together". Ditto with Arno actually since how he got reinducted into the Order between the events of the main game and the Dead Kings DLC is a mystery. But it looks like they're just being forgotten about because the reception to the games they starred in was poor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's great how they made cover a big deal, and then removed the button that let you run without jumping up on top of cover.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

According to an email you get from picking up a tablet in Rogue Connor died in some kind of hosed up way that Melanie Lemay didn't want to talk about because it wasn't marketable but I'd like to see that expanded upon somehow. They also mentioned a wife?

I'm gonna get owned on this but I'm at the beginning of Sequence 6 of Unity and I actually am enjoying it so far? Granted I'm playing it post patches, but it isn't near as bad as I was led to believe. It actually reminds me a lot of 3 in some ways (and I know people also hate that game)--there's a lot of experimenting, a lot of new mechanics and revamps of old ones. I basically live for coop games so I don't mind that at all and I really enjoy those missions and heists. Some of the stuff that doesn't work is gonna get thrown out in Victory, some of it isn't, and eventually we'll hit Unity's version of Rogue, where those mechanics have been refined into a near-universally enjoyable experience. Or maybe I'm just an optimist, but I thought I'd throw in a weak counterpoint to all the negative stuff I've heard (with the caveat that I really enjoy all the dumb lore, etc.)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Okay, so Black Flag still doesn't run at a consistent 1080p/60fps on anything that isn't a GTX 980, right? My overclocked 780 certainly isn't up to it in areas with lots of foliage, and this is after I turn off most of the Nvidia bullshit like HBAO and soft shadows.

I could swear I had better performance on my old PC.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 15, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It's kinda sad that I get noticeable random pop in and tearing in Rogue and Unity ran fine.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Well, looks like I forgot to disable PhysX. Once I did that, the game started running as it should. I didn't notice any immediate difference with or without PhysX, except that having it on just kills the performance. (PhysX.txt)

I'm still not running the game quite maxed out, but at least it's 60fps now.

edit: oh good now it's crashing

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 15, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I'm gonna get owned on this but I'm at the beginning of Sequence 6 of Unity and I actually am enjoying it so far? Granted I'm playing it post patches, but it isn't near as bad as I was led to believe. It actually reminds me a lot of 3 in some ways (and I know people also hate that game)--there's a lot of experimenting, a lot of new mechanics and revamps of old ones. I basically live for coop games so I don't mind that at all and I really enjoy those missions and heists. Some of the stuff that doesn't work is gonna get thrown out in Victory, some of it isn't, and eventually we'll hit Unity's version of Rogue, where those mechanics have been refined into a near-universally enjoyable experience. Or maybe I'm just an optimist, but I thought I'd throw in a weak counterpoint to all the negative stuff I've heard (with the caveat that I really enjoy all the dumb lore, etc.)

Don't feel bad. Unity had a lot of good ideas in it: the best city in the series yet, murder mysteries, greater emphasis on stealth, open assassinations. It's certainly not my least favourite AC. I definitely like it more than AC3.

The problem was the stealth was half baked. How is it Ubisoft can nail stealth so well in Blacklist and totally botch it in Unity? There was also waaay too many collectables and app tie in silliness. Also performance issues, except on the PC I'm wondering if that nvidia 970 GTX memory flaw played a large role.

Unity didn't run amazing on my PC (780 GTX), but I had nowhere NEAR the issues say, Total Biscuit had in his videos (running two 970 GTX in SLI? Hmmmm....). Watching his videos, it looks unplayable. I had frame rate drops and the occasional freeze but it was still quite playable.

The Coop was a lot of fun.

Man. One can never tell with this series which are going to be "the good ones". I was all fired up for AC3 and it sucked. Less than enthused for Brohood (Ezio again? Heavy emphasis on multiplayer?) and AC4 (looked like it was designed by a committee after the failure of AC3) and those two are now my favorites. I even adored the multiplayer enough to sub to xboxlive gold JUST for assassins creed multiplayer.

Cautiously optimistic about Victory.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 15, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
The difficulty progression in Rogue seems a bit funky.

I've been organised in the collectathon by grabbing everything within an "area" that I'm led to by a main mission, so that includes raiding everything, hunting all the island animals i come across, doing all the buildings, etc, fighting ships when they get in my way and sinking all of my money into my ship as soon as upgrades are available. It's been functioning so far, but i'm on Memory sequence 4 now and I've been catapulted into a "hard" zone for the first time and while my ship was capable in a medium zone it took quite a few attempts to get a foothold in this new zone due to a massive shortage of metal preventing me from getting the last 2 upgrades for each part of my ship.

On top of that, i've still barely crafted anything. Most of the islands i've been taken to only contain things like wolves/foxes/deer and rabbit with the odd beaver or bear.

Does the story start taking you through more variable areas towards the end or does it rely on you to massively deviate away from the main story (i.e. sail to the other side of the earth in search of a collectible) to come across some of this stuff?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Kin posted:

Does the story start taking you through more variable areas towards the end or does it rely on you to massively deviate away from the main story (i.e. sail to the other side of the earth in search of a collectible) to come across some of this stuff?

The latter. I discovered a handful of very small but notable cities when I was mopping up my 100% sync ("Halifax is in this??")

Snuffman posted:

The problem was the stealth was half baked. How is it Ubisoft can nail stealth so well in Blacklist and totally botch it in Unity? There was also waaay too many collectables and app tie in silliness.

I've been doing okay stealth-wise and I think the crouch button--which I JUST learned is a toggle and not hold-to-crouch--is really nice; can you elaborate more on that? And yeah, oof, forgot to criticize the collectibles. I got free Helix Points for some stupid Uplay thing and bought the chests and cockades map and now I fuckin can't see poo poo when I'm zoomed out. And I've been participating in Uplay and Initiates silliness even when it wasn't applicable. Still don't know how I'm supposed to get the artifacts from the dumbass app.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kin posted:

I'm nowhere near the end of the game, and I don't even think I've reached that forced Hard area you mention. That said, I have found that for crafting, particularly stuff requiring arctic creatures (drat YOU ARCTIC HARES!), I've had to go out of my way to seek them out.

Yeah...you COULD just buy the animal pelts from the local general store, but they're expensive. Oh, who am I kidding, by mid game you're probably rolling in cash. I know I'm pulling 9k every whatever minutes from my upgrades and the fleet mini game. So yeah...you can buy the pelts.

Unrelated, I checked the iOS app store, there's no companion app for Rogue is there? I actually liked the companion app for AC4, sending my little fleet around the world when I wasn't playing AC4. Rogue's Naval game seems less involved, but I still like it. It's neat how its not about shipping but rather playing out the 7 year war.

Also, where are all these items I'm collecting from the fleet game being sent to? I don't have a "home base"...do I?

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I've been doing okay stealth-wise and I think the crouch button--which I JUST learned is a toggle and not hold-to-crouch--is really nice; can you elaborate more on that?

Its hard to explain, a combination of factors I suppose? In blacklist you have the usual toggle crouch, toggle to stick to walls and be sneaky. It all felt...more fluid? I never felt like I was fighting with the stealth controls. The enemies also reacted naturally as well. Blacklist is a linear, level based game however, so its easier to perfect how the level plays with the stealth. Sam can only climb buildings and walls at specific set points.

The whole thing falls apart when applied to a Creed open world. The stealth is fiddly, I kept sticking to the wrong things. Also way more punishing, early on at least. Give them a game or two, and Ubisoft will have it sorted. I liked combat being a challenge again.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 15, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The fleet mini game is much more bearable now that you can loving skip the battle animations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Snuffman posted:

Man. One can never tell with this series which are going to be "the good ones". I was all fired up for AC3 and it sucked. Less than enthused for Brohood (Ezio again? Heavy emphasis on multiplayer?) and AC4 (looked like it was designed by a committee after the failure of AC3) and those two are now my favorites. I even adored the multiplayer enough to sub to xboxlive gold JUST for assassins creed multiplayer.
And then Unity completely dropped the robust PvP multiplayer that was developed in previous games lol. Another job well done for this failure.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Unity is one of my favorite AC games because I am a huge dumb fanboy. There's a lot to complain about, but I think they did a lot of things really right.

I don't understand why people hate the combat, I think it flows well and it's pretty fun once you git gud at the game. I'm playing Rogue now and I'm really enjoying it, but I find myself wishing it had Unity's combat.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Daily Forecast posted:

Unity is one of my favorite AC games because I am a huge dumb fanboy. There's a lot to complain about, but I think they did a lot of things really right.

I don't understand why people hate the combat, I think it flows well and it's pretty fun once you git gud at the game. I'm playing Rogue now and I'm really enjoying it, but I find myself wishing it had Unity's combat.

Well at least now we know Alexander Amancio is a Goon.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Haha yeah, I'm sure that the problem with Unity's combat is that people aren't good enough at it.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

macnbc posted:

Well at least now we know Alexander Amancio is a Goon.

this just in: everyone who likes x thing is all the same person

Palpek posted:

Haha yeah, I'm sure that the problem with Unity's combat is that people aren't good enough at it.

That's honestly what it seems like from where I'm standing. People are complaining about a broken combat system that's "too hard" and "not intuitive" and all the while I've been enjoying a fairly shallow Dark Souls-style combat system that manages to be a lot more engaging than "I am a murder-tornado because I press E a lot"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

No, it's just boring as hell. It's ridiculous that it's worse than the regular AC combat but here we are, I'd rather press that execution button all day than slog through Unity's combat again ugh. Also just because there are 3 attack patterns doesn't make it Dark Souls, jesus.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

That's honestly what it seems like from where I'm standing. People are complaining about a broken combat system that's "too hard" and "not intuitive" and all the while I've been enjoying a fairly shallow Dark Souls-style combat system that manages to be a lot more engaging than "I am a murder-tornado because I press E a lot"

There's nothing Dark Souls about it. It's just slow and boring, not hard. AC4 style combat isn't hard either but it's at least fast paced. Unity wanted to have a slower more deliberate combat system but failed to do anything to make it engaging, and the enemy types sure aren't fun enough to do that on their own.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Unity is just eh. It's not even as frustrating as Assassin's Creed 3 but I also don't respect it as much as Assassin's Creed 3 either since at least that game tried to do new things and... wasn't really successful and probably tried to do too much. Unity just removes mechanics that were a given from the entire series so far and locks some moves that you could even do in the first AC game until you unlock them and the new things Unity does add which is co-op (which I can never get a stable game going), expanded parkour which is really nice admittedly and a terrible stealth system that doesn't really make up for everything that got removed.

As for Black Flag performance issues, the game has a buggy implementation of PhysX, V-Sync and Anti Aliasing. Even on the best cards, you'll want to set PhysX to low and force V-Sync and Anti Aliasing through Nvidia Control Panel or ATI Catalyst. PhysX doesn't really work right and you don't notice much of a difference between high and low settings, V-Synch doesn't enable triple buffering so it caps your framerate to 30 and I've no idea how they managed to screw up AA but it works better when you turn it off ingame and then force it via your GPU.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

To add to what someone said earlier, in Rogue I ended up buying the pelts I needed to upgrade, but thanks to the clunky interfaces I got bored if doing that and just went through to the end of the game with what I had.

Also Jesus how long are these credits?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr. Fortitude posted:

locks some moves that you could even do in the first AC game until you unlock them

There really isn't a single ability, short of maybe throwing money and roll recovery, that is locked in Unity that isn't locked in other games at the start until you do some tutorial that unlocks them. Or pay/craft for upgrades.

Ezio at the start of 2 had to be trained on crowd blending; double assassinate; had to be trained in special attacks for axes, spears, etc.

Black Flag skipped a lot of those issues by either ignoring them outright because the nature of the combat and setting were radically different than the previous games, and not really best for Unity, I think.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

ayn rand hand job posted:

Ezio at the start of 2 had to be trained on crowd blending; double assassinate; had to be trained in special attacks for axes, spears, etc.

All of which were new tricks in AC2. In the first Assassin's Creed you couldn't pick up weapons, you only had a preset sword or knife. Only had the one wristblade, too. And hell, AC1's blending was an incredibly tedious "Pretend to be a monk; you are now invisible to guards" button.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

There really isn't a single ability, short of maybe throwing money and roll recovery, that is locked in Unity that isn't locked in other games at the start until you do some tutorial that unlocks them. Or pay/craft for upgrades.

Black Flag skipped a lot of those issues by either ignoring them outright because the nature of the combat and setting were radically different than the previous games, and not really best for Unity, I think.

I thought Ezio could do a lot of moves at the beginning of AC 2, it's just the tutorial missions make you aware of them? The double assassinate is because he didn't even start off with a hidden blade, much less two and he needed training to do the reach climb for buildings.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I thought Ezio could do a lot of moves at the beginning of AC 2, it's just the tutorial missions make you aware of them? The double assassinate is because he didn't even start off with a hidden blade, much less two and he needed training to do the reach climb for buildings.

Ezio can parkour and fight barehanded, and that's about it. Everything else is locked behind some gating mechanic, be it story, tutorial, paying cash.

It doesn't take too long to get past the point where most of it is unlocked (sequence 4 of 12), but for comparison's sake, most of the abilities (short of double air assassination) you're probably thinking of are can be learned after memory sequence 2 of 12 in Unity.

There's something to be said about the conceit off the system pissing people off (Unity's seemingly artificial growth vs AC2's organic growth), though it makes more sense in terms of the real world story of Unity. It also makes more sense in the real world story of AC2, since they were trying to train Desmond to be an actual assassin and fight, as opposed to the Assassins using Animus junkies to research history and piss off Abstergo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ezio can parkour and fight barehanded, and that's about it. Everything else is locked behind some gating mechanic, be it story, tutorial, paying cash.

It doesn't take too long to get past the point where most of it is unlocked (sequence 4 of 12), but for comparison's sake, most of the abilities (short of double air assassination) you're probably thinking of are can be learned after memory sequence 2 of 12 in Unity.

There's something to be said about the conceit off the system pissing people off (Unity's seemingly artificial growth vs AC2's organic growth), though it makes more sense in terms of the real world story of Unity. It also makes more sense in the real world story of AC2, since they were trying to train Desmond to be an actual assassin and fight, as opposed to the Assassins using Animus junkies to research history and piss off Abstergo.

Huh. I guess. At least Unity doesn't put you through the tutorial for your abilities twice for two different characters whose only different when it comes down to it is that one can climb trees and the other cannot, like Assassin's Creed 3 did. I'll give it credit for that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Snuffman posted:

Don't feel bad. Unity had a lot of good ideas in it: the best city in the series yet, murder mysteries, greater emphasis on stealth, open assassinations. It's certainly not my least favourite AC. I definitely like it more than AC3.

The problem was the stealth was half baked. How is it Ubisoft can nail stealth so well in Blacklist and totally botch it in Unity? There was also waaay too many collectables and app tie in silliness. Also performance issues, except on the PC I'm wondering if that nvidia 970 GTX memory flaw played a large role.

Unity didn't run amazing on my PC (780 GTX), but I had nowhere NEAR the issues say, Total Biscuit had in his videos (running two 970 GTX in SLI? Hmmmm....). Watching his videos, it looks unplayable. I had frame rate drops and the occasional freeze but it was still quite playable.

The Coop was a lot of fun.

Cautiously optimistic about Victory.

Brotherhood did the "emphasis on multiplayer" right. There was a lot of singleplayer content and a good multiplayer mode if you wanted it. Unity did it wrong. You can tell a lot of the level design effort went into co-op missions and the single player lost a bunch of good stuff.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've been envisioning AC multiplayer since the first one, and since they refused to make the MP in the old ones playable, Unity's coop was a great step in the right direction. For the short period of time that it fully functioned I had a lot of fun robbing that one palace in the 4 person heist in Unity. If they can make Victory run well for everyone and not have insane maybe-bugs where being online tanks your framerate (or whatever the problem ended up being) I'd be all for it. Gonna wait for other people to punch that shark for once though.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Oh, the things I could say about why Unity's battle system sucks so much...

In different news, I'm about halfway into Dead Kings right now. Interesting enough and I like the setting of Franciade. Napoleonic Bicornes are also a lot more reasonable to get than the cockades and chests in the base game, atleast from how I perceive so far. I'm enjoying the story for what it is too, so that's a plus. The only negatives I can think of for Dead Kings are the optional mission objectives that ask that the player go through segments completely unseen and the continuing issue of the combat being poo poo.

The Guillotine Gun is also an interesting idea, albeit a very slow weapon in actual battle, not unlike using the rifles in close combat. It would be an interesting idea to throw a cherry bomb and have enemies crowd up, then release a mortar into the ensuing chaos... assuming enemies actually go to examine the cherry bomb's noise, which they never do for me.

About what time each year does Ubisoft tend to begin leaking information about the next AC title? I'm definitely curious for Victory since Quebec will be helming it. I'm hoping they'll inject some much-needed new blood into the now stagnating pool. I don't think there's any way that Ubisoft would scrap the Unity Engine so fast, but I'm hoping that they can try to perfect it by adding some of the previous games' strong points. The positive reception Rogue has gotten really needs to send them a message on where the series should go from here. :(

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Just picked up a fresh new PS4 console and Unity.

I've always liked the AC games, but recently they've started getting really lame. AC3 had a godawful ending and AC4 just decided that the current-timeline plot was boring and unnecessary and HEY LOOK PIRATES! Unity looks like more of the same it seems, and I rolled my eyes at the meta "we need you and your friends to play online co-op to save the world" shtick it's trying to pull this time. And I don't know what they did to combat but they somehow made it worse. Timed parrys sounds like a great idea but it totally doesn't work with the combat in this game, and the camera is just another enemy to deal with.

Why can't they just make another AC2 Trilogy? :(

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Because the AC 2 trilogy got really stale and repetitive and people slammed Revelations for being Brotherhood with den defenses nobody ask for.

Having said that, I don't think they could do another game in the style of Black Flag and Rogue without being criticized for not innovating enough either. Victory's big gimmick seems to be the grappling hook but I fear it's going to render parkour practically useless. I also can't imagine huge crowds in the crowded streets of London either so that's two things from Unity that are going to be downplayed in Victory.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

drat, I must have blocked out the memory of den defence. That poo poo was awful.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

You only had to do it once though, as tutorial.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The Grimace posted:

About what time each year does Ubisoft tend to begin leaking information about the next AC title? I'm definitely curious for Victory since Quebec will be helming it.

E3. We only know about Victory due to a reaaaallly early leak (which I'm sure someone got fired for/banned from any Ubisoft thing ever).

Which other Creed games has Quebec helmed?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

As for Black Flag performance issues, the game has a buggy implementation of PhysX, V-Sync and Anti Aliasing. Even on the best cards, you'll want to set PhysX to low and force V-Sync and Anti Aliasing through Nvidia Control Panel or ATI Catalyst. PhysX doesn't really work right and you don't notice much of a difference between high and low settings, V-Synch doesn't enable triple buffering so it caps your framerate to 30 and I've no idea how they managed to screw up AA but it works better when you turn it off ingame and then force it via your GPU.
Forcing AA through Nvidia Control Panel doesn't seem to work, and according to a thread on the Nvidia forums it seems like Nvidia Inspector doesn't help either. I'm just running in-game SMAA for now, it's not too bad. Managed to get triple buffering and v-sync working as well, which gives me a slight fps hit (down to 55-58 fps, lowering graphics settings doesn't seem to help) in areas with a lot of foliage and shadows, but at least there's no more tearing.

:pcgaming:

Rogue runs at a consistent 60fps (even when I crank the resolution up to 1440p with everything maxed out, the only drops happen when there's a fuckton of smoke or something on the screen), probably because it was ported straight from the last gen systems and none of the fancy stuff (much nicer foliage, lighting, water) from Black Flag's current gen version made it into that game.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Snuffman posted:

E3. We only know about Victory due to a reaaaallly early leak (which I'm sure someone got fired for/banned from any Ubisoft thing ever).

Which other Creed games has Quebec helmed?

e: Wikipedia is a filthy liar.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rogue does look way worse than Unity, there's no question about that, at least PC got hd textures though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Palpek posted:

Rogue does look way worse than Unity, there's no question about that, at least PC got hd textures though.
I'm not even comparing it to Unity, I was talking about Black Flag.

On a related note, Digital Foundry did a face-off for Rogue: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-assassins-creed-rogue-face-off

I could swear the foliage on the PC version is static, but the article mentions how "physics-based foliage reacts with the wind and characters, swaying and bending when disturbed. " Did I miss an option somewhere?

• Locked thread