Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I thought there was a playable alpha. I was just thinking of the fact that there has been silence since 2013, Towns happened, and now Starbound is, you know, being Starbound.

There was, but it was sold through Wollay himself and was never on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
In fact, had he been on steam, the attack that brought down Cube World for about a week or more probably would never have been possible.

I still, to this day, believe that the people attacking him and almost certainly sending threats probably freaked him out.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

http://www.reddit.com/r/CubeWorld/comments/2sa3lr/for_all_those_who_are_wondering_why_the_shop_is/

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It'll reopen with the next patch.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

It'll reopen with the next patch.

So sometime around the release of the full version of Star Citizen?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So sometime around the release of the full version of Star Citizen?

Yeah. I think that's probably around the same week or month of the first full release of Starbound, IIRC.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I will never understand how someone could hate money as much as Wollay apparently does.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Depends on whether that money comes coupled with crazy stalkers and cyber attacks :shrug:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also if the person taking the money is a socially awkward or has anxiety/depression issues and unused to dealing with internet pressures. Not that Cube World was in any way handled well, but it's still a pretty common sort of response from personality types like that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I am pretty sure the average geek could not handle receiving constant threats and attacks over a game they were trying to make. He was already really quiet online so he probably, and quite rightfully, got spooked the gently caress out by people losing their minds and attacking him.

Then add in tons of people contacting him with really dumb support questions.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah considering the shitstorm that hit Wollay I can understand why he'd be a little reticent about setting it off again.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Observe the wild nerd: easily spooked and startled. Do not make loud noises or else he might retreat back into his burrow for several months.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Do not make loud noises or else he might retreat back into his burrow for several months years.

Fixed.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Updated July 23, 2013

Cube World is up to date.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Development Achievement unlocked: Don't update your game for 2 years.

Oh this game could've been so drat good. Why wollay, why?

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
gently caress this game and everything to do with it. Another lesson not to get on the hype train. I bought it and wasted my money like most who played this.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You probably spent more on your last lunch and/or dinner than this game

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Vax posted:

Oh this game could've been so drat good. Why wollay, why?

It turns out when the entire internet starts screaming abuse at an introvert they run away and hide, whouda thunk it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Neruz posted:

It turns out when the entire internet starts screaming abuse at an introvert they run away and hide, whouda thunk it.
Coulda just ignored them all and still kept some sort of schedule. Guess it wasn't an attractive enough hobby for him though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

CrashCat posted:

Coulda just ignored them all and still kept some sort of schedule. Guess it wasn't an attractive enough hobby for him though.

Not if he's an introvert, not everyone can just ignore poo poo like that.

That said I'm not saying he did the right thing, just that no part of this outcome should be surprising to anyone.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

shop still closed

Kidswhoneedjobs
Jan 16, 2013

Neruz posted:

Not if he's an introvert, not everyone can just ignore poo poo like that.

That said I'm not saying he did the right thing, just that no part of this outcome should be surprising to anyone.

Hes such a bloody tard though. Develops a video game, gets scared that people like and buy it then does nothing. I mean he could just sell the drat game if it causes him so much anxiety or retain royalties while someone else develops it. Not to mention hes kind of ruined any future he as an indie developer who would want to buy from him now?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Kidswhoneedjobs posted:

gets scared that people like and buy it

this is definitely not what happened

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Hitting popularity as a solo developer with an unfinished game must be a nightmare, the support requests alone would be a full time job and people want you to update/fix bugs at the same time whilst anything you do will get examined in excessive detail. However even with that in mind Wollay has handled the whole thing poorly. If he struggles this much with pressure he should never have started taking money.

Hiding for two years with very infrequent communication is for kickstarters.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Be as personally conflicted about finishing your game as you like. Just don't do it after taking people's money.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

He should have sold it to Trion when they made an offer.

Now Trion has Trove which probably drew away anyone interested in this.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So we just gonna keep ignoring the personal attacks made against a solo dev making his first game in his free time, so that we can pretend to be mad at an early access game? Dude was never a professional game dev, and made a little game that he thought people would like, and he got as much poo poo for it as some big time developers do, including a DDoS.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

He should have sold it to Trion when they made an offer.

Now Trion has Trove which probably drew away anyone interested in this.
If that's true then that was his easy out for sure. I can see why he wouldn't want to just give over the project though.

Who knows though, maybe a couple years down the road he'll feel like the frenzy has died down and pick up the idea again. Maybe he'll even learn from it and just not tell anyone until it's done to his satisfaction.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Now at last we begin to see the results of allowing nerds to run unchecked, unbeaten

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
the game Trove p much does all the stuff this game promised but better, you should all just play that. its free so you can pretend you spent the 20 dollars on that instead and forget about this dumb game

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

UglyDucklett posted:

the game Trove p much does all the stuff this game promised but better, you should all just play that. its free so you can pretend you spent the 20 dollars on that instead and forget about this dumb game

Yeah about that: http://www.trionworlds.com/trove/store/

Not exactly the same

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

victrix posted:

Yeah about that: http://www.trionworlds.com/trove/store/

Not exactly the same

Trove does some dumb things but all the classes are free if you're willing to play the game to earn them. The only thing you absolutely have to pay for are the skins but you cover yourself up with random cosmetics through the gameplay anyway, and earn one skin for each class by playing so that matters even less than usual pay-cosmetics.

I like the combat and exploration a little more in Cube World than Trove. Trove has a sort of "soulless" feeling to the world that Cube World doesn't.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
There's an entire industry of people you can hire just to deal with the public so you don't have to deal with them directly called, appropriately enough, Public Relations. He could have hired a person from this industry with the money he made from selling people his game. Being introverted is not an acceptable excuse for bad business practices.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Being introverted is not an acceptable excuse for bad business practices.

Fill us in on what is acceptable :allears:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

victrix posted:

Fill us in on what is acceptable :allears:

I think the only acceptable excuse for bad business practices is "I tried something in good faith, it didn't work out, and I am now actively trying to fix it". If your introversion is bad you can't even handle hiring a PR person, you need to be in therapy in your free time, not developing a game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

UglyDucklett posted:

the game Trove p much does all the stuff this game promised but better, you should all just play thnat. its free so you can pretend you spent the 20 dollars on that instead and forget about this dumb game

Trove is a MMO, so can't compare with the "little server" experience of CubeWorld. Finding things you yourself that nobody has seen before, maybe with a group of friends, conquering places for the first time. Is a tiny "Pizarro conquering the Inca Empire" experience vs the theme park experience of Trove.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

There's an entire industry of people you can hire just to deal with the public so you don't have to deal with them directly called, appropriately enough, Public Relations. He could have hired a person from this industry with the money he made from selling people his game. Being introverted is not an acceptable excuse for bad business practices.

Sure, but this wasn't some PR kerfuffle. It's not like the issue was that he didn't know how to interact with people. People literally scared him away. He's not a pro-game developer, and worked on the game in his free time, and people proceeded to flip the gently caress out at him, and even DDoSed his stuff. I can see a quiet, introverted person just giving the gently caress up especially when they have no threat of losing a job over it. It doesn't help when it seems like the majority of people never really seem to come to his defense. I find it interesting that so few people are mad at the jackasses who hurled abuse and the attacks at him in the first place.

Also, we paid for the alpha build of the game, which is what we got. It sucks that he didn't finish the game, but I don't recall any kind of agreement that a specific set of features and content would be delivered within a specific period of time. The hope is that they will finish it, but unless they specifically make promises in promoting the early access, no one really has an actual right to be that angry at anyone but themselves.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
He really should have just hired out one of his more talkative friends to maintain the twitter, someone he doesn't mind talking to and maybe keeping updated. That way he has a comfortable barrier between himself and the internet and we wouldn't get these media blackouts for 2 years at a time.

Also, I read an article someone, Game Informer I think on a list of failed kickstarter/EA games and boy, I think the only EA game I'll ever spring for will be Killing Floor 2, other than that I'll just keep my money for full releases. Especially after reading about the whole Yogscast debacle.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ToastyPotato posted:

I find it interesting that so few people are mad at the jackasses who hurled abuse and the attacks at him in the first place.
I used to be mad at the jackasses too, once. Then I realized there is an indefinite supply of them, enough that you can't wish them away and certainly can't deal with them by telling them they are bad people. You block them out somehow or you don't deal with the Internet until you're ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I dunno guys, I got my money's worth. Was fun playing with you goons nearly 3 years ago. Wish this game would actually come out so I can enjoy it more, it's fun. A shame the guy is a shut-in but oh well.

• Locked thread