Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm really surprised Iranian proxies haven't gotten around to destroying the thing sometime in the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gfanikf posted:

It wasn't worth getting shot at for?

:confused:

We hung out there for like an hour with no helmets or armor on, checked out the big Iran-Iraq memorial, and got platoon pictures. It used to be a big secure FOB like BIAP or Bagram.

Like maybe a mortar could hit, but those retards rarely hit anything important. If you were deployed during a mortar attack, chances are we were the dickheads standing on top of the mortar shelters trying to see if they were walking the rounds in or not.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 15, 2015

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I know those swords. Dats in Kirkuk.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Master Bateman posted:

I know those swords. Dats in Kirkuk.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or anything, but that is Baghdad, in what used to be the Green Zone. It is the archway to their old parade grounds.
My favorite part was the cornucopia of helmets and the helmet speed bumps. Our terp said that each helmet (and there are loving hundreds) was supposed to represent 1k dead Iranians. After reading a little bit about the Iraq Iran war, I wouldn't be loving suprised if it wasn't far off.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Ah, different swords I guess.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've never been to Kirkuk so I had no idea there were more than the two in Baghdad.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I'm dumb, they are very different looking.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slim Pickens posted:

:confused:

We hung out there for like an hour with no helmets or armor on, checked out the big Iran-Iraq memorial, and got platoon pictures. It used to be a big secure FOB like BIAP or Bagram.

Like maybe a mortar could hit, but those retards rarely hit anything important. If you were deployed during a mortar attack, chances are we were the dickheads standing on top of the mortar shelters trying to see if they were walking the rounds in or not.

:downs:

Yep, I forgot that area was only a mortar risk and not gunfire generally. I do recall hearing about mortars a lot in the news, but yeah gunfire was pretty rare.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 16, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJckchby55E

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
:stare:

Skynet is just around the corner.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Pulsating blue robot is giving me some serious Metal Gear Solid vibes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Spicy Guacamole posted:

To make it even better, have an article about how we discovered how easily you can plug brains into a flight simulator and simply think how you want the plane to go. Or use a direct brain link to move robotic limbs.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

To make it even better, have an article about how we discovered how easily you can plug brains into a flight simulator and simply think how you want the plane to go. Or use a direct brain link to move robotic limbs.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Robocop is just around the corner.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is why I've decided to proactively take a progressive stance regarding AI/robot rights and cybernetics: it's pretty loving likely I'll see it during my lifetime.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
The pushups looked janky as gently caress though.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I was born too early. Getting my arms and legs blown off in Iraq would have just meant I get awesome robo-limbs.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

Do you have to think in Russian though?

:clint:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mike-o posted:

I was born too early. Getting my arms and legs blown off in Iraq would have just meant I get awesome robo-limbs.
Don't jump on the cybernetic bandwagon too early. Imagine you're fingering some girl with your cybernetic fingers when all the sudden you twitch wrong, next thing you know you've gone all Of Mice and Men on her, and turned her into a bloody rag doll. I just saved you from a murder charge.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

gfanikf posted:

Do you have to think in Russian though?

:clint:

:golfclap:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Don't jump on the cybernetic bandwagon too early. Imagine you're fingering some girl with your cybernetic fingers when all the sudden you twitch wrong, next thing you know you've gone all Of Mice and Men on her, and turned her into a bloody rag doll. I just saved you from a murder charge.
Some chicks are into that.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
we're all fuckin dead

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

krispykremessuck posted:

we're all fuckin dead

I'm already dead on the inside.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

If I'm already dead, then the machines can't kill me. :getin:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I've been waiting to be a disembodied brain in a main battle tank since I was 12 years old. After 35 years, there's finally hope.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsJ0sCD_7N4

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

holy lol

2:10 "goddam you people are dumb"

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

:magical:

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Thug lyfe.

Now I know why the powers that be wouldn't let us detonate IEDs on our own when I was in Afghan.

loving Army ruining it for the rest of us. Also: I bet they were reservists too. You're only supposed to use one brick of C4 for mine/IED detonation retards.

He was also facing the wrong direction when he detonated, though I can't blame him for wanting to keep his body as far away as possible. That was a tiny loving IED.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

chitoryu12 posted:

This is why I've decided to proactively take a progressive stance regarding AI/robot rights and cybernetics: it's pretty loving likely I'll see it during my lifetime.

This will come in handy when Synthetic Revolution starts and the Robonites are putting us all against the wall for execution. They'll probably just put you in the slave camps. Jealous!!

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I keep warnin y'all about fuckin round with that science poo poo..

One day.. You gonna look at grandpa Genocide and say... Well nothing because you fucks will have got yourself killed.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Genocide Tendency posted:

I keep warnin y'all about fuckin round with that science poo poo..

One day.. You gonna look at grandpa Genocide and say... Well nothing because you fucks will have got yourself killed.

Any technology that can't be used to look at pictures or videoes of tits is technology we shouldn;t be making,

Genesis 2:11, Sussudio

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Just chiming in to say that that, though I've never been anywhere near the military, I've been in Boy Scouts, and the similarity of that to the poo poo we got up to on unsupervised patrol camp outs warms the cockles of my heart.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Can confirm it's exactly the same as Boy Scouts but with (supposedly) grown-rear end men. Instead of pointy sticks and waterproof matches, you have automatic weapons and plastic explosives.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

skynet pft failure

fat fuckin robot

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

elite_garbage_man posted:

skynet pft failure

fat fuckin robot

Has a no shaving waiver too.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Police that gig-over-copper line, son

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

USMC503 posted:

Thug lyfe.

Now I know why the powers that be wouldn't let us detonate IEDs on our own when I was in Afghan.

loving Army ruining it for the rest of us. Also: I bet they were reservists too. You're only supposed to use one brick of C4 for mine/IED detonation retards.

He was also facing the wrong direction when he detonated, though I can't blame him for wanting to keep his body as far away as possible. That was a tiny loving IED.

Was it rigged as an IED? I thought it was just some RPG that didn't detonate(dickhead forgot to pull the safety likely)

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Booblord Zagats posted:

Any technology that can't be used to look at pictures or videoes of tits is technology we shouldn;t be making,

Genesis 2:11, Sussudio

What do such machines really do? They increase the number of things we can do without thinking. Things we do without thinking — there's the real danger.

Madurai posted:

I've been waiting to be a disembodied brain in a main battle tank since I was 12 years old. After 35 years, there's finally hope.

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Boeing-RC-135W-%28717-158%29/2607309/L/&sid=d059152ed9a1997386b992af2a8e6ff1

I really hope this wasn't a typo and they really were using the callsign "DONG 52"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well, the guy who wrote that up was full of poo poo...he's got the wrong aircraft type and he's probably guessing on the squadron. I assume the RC-135s are assigned to the group rather than individual squadrons, and I know at least one other squadron flights those specific jets.

I've never seen a callsign "Dong" but we only ever worked with RJs overseas or during poo poo like Red Flag where there are often different callsigns.

• Locked thread