Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah we'd probably do London -> Paris -> somewhere in Germany. It's not the destination, but the journey there :D.

Odds are good we'd be those people who spend a few days in London and a few days in Paris etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

actionjackson posted:

They have bank machines at the airport, I was going to use those:

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/AtSchiphol/AirportFacilities/MoneyServices/ABNAMRO/OfficesOfABNAMRO.htm

Is Danske Bank ATM my best bet for the Copenhagen Airport?

If you haven't already, you might want to check with your bank to see if they have any Danish partners. Mine has one in France, so I've been able to use that bank's ATMs with no extra fees.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

If you haven't already, you might want to check with your bank to see if they have any Danish partners. Mine has one in France, so I've been able to use that bank's ATMs with no extra fees.

I have and they don't, it's Wells Fargo which sucks rear end. It's a $5 charge on atm withdrawals.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

actionjackson posted:

I have and they don't, it's Wells Fargo which sucks rear end. It's a $5 charge on atm withdrawals.

Yeah that blows. If you're set on bringing a stack of cash along, can you get it from your bank? They'd probably give you a better rate than any store-front exchanger will.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Which American banks make it easy to take cash out in Europe? I've got Wells Fargo but I wouldn't have a problem opening up an account somewhere if it made my life easier.

In addition to galavanting across Europe in Summer 2016 I'll probably be going to England or Scotland this summer some time as well.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I've got Bank of America, and they seem to have partners just about everywhere.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Which American banks make it easy to take cash out in Europe? I've got Wells Fargo but I wouldn't have a problem opening up an account somewhere if it made my life easier.

In addition to galavanting across Europe in Summer 2016 I'll probably be going to England or Scotland this summer some time as well.

It looks like it should be Charles Scwhab investment checking. 0 foreign fees and atm-fees are reimbursed.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah that blows. If you're set on bringing a stack of cash along, can you get it from your bank? They'd probably give you a better rate than any store-front exchanger will.

Yeah, I could've done that ahead of time but it's too late now. The other problem is I'd have to be at home to accept delivery. I'd also prefer to minimize the amount of time I'm carrying around that much cash. It's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not concerned about the rate from the bank owned ATMs. Obviously I will avoid all the -ex stuff

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I wasn't able to find a thread about the Netherlands so I will post my question here.

Does anyone have any experience applying for a residence permit in the Netherlands? Apparently my friends Japanese citizenship gives her the option to work in the Netherlands without a need for a work permit but requires a residence permit. Just wondering how difficult it is to obtain one. I know there is a 900 Euro or so application fee.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

Unless you have EU/UK/EEA/Swiss citizenship or are fairly wealthy, I think it's going to be tough to open a bank account in a foreign country on a tourist visa. In Switzerland at major banks at least (Credit Suisse etc) the minimum deposit for a foreigner to open an account is CHF 50k. It's probably way less in other countries but still not insignificant.

You can probably find a bank in the US that does less killer fees per withdrawal though.

E: I actually couldn't find any other hard numbers on what the minimum deposit is at banks like Barclays, just that it's possible but "substantial", whatever "substantial" means. Is that like £5k? £25k? Who knows. I only looked for like 5 minutes, so probably someone knows.

E2: I found it, can't quite tell but it's more than £10k, and presumably if you have that much to plunk down to open a foreign bank account, you're not worried about $5 + 1% transaction fees on each ATM withdrawal. http://www.i-finance.co.uk/uk-bank-account-for-non-residents/ I opened a German bank account several years ago and remember it also not being a trivial amount of money for foreigners to do (similar ballpark, maybe €10k? This was about 10 years ago).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 9, 2015

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Busy Bee posted:

I wasn't able to find a thread about the Netherlands so I will post my question here.

Does anyone have any experience applying for a residence permit in the Netherlands? Apparently my friends Japanese citizenship gives her the option to work in the Netherlands without a need for a work permit but requires a residence permit. Just wondering how difficult it is to obtain one. I know there is a 900 Euro or so application fee.

The Dutch thread might have an answer: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695908
I think there's people in there who went through the process. As far as I know it should generally be easier to get a work permit than a residence permit... Obtaining a residence permit also involves meeting all the requirements of having a work permit, as far as I know. To get it you generally need to have a job lined up already, be a student at an university, or have a partner in the country.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 9, 2015

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Saladman posted:

Unless you have EU/UK/EEA/Swiss citizenship or are fairly wealthy, I think it's going to be tough to open a bank account in a foreign country on a tourist visa. In Switzerland at major banks at least (Credit Suisse etc) the minimum deposit for a foreigner to open an account is CHF 50k. It's probably way less in other countries but still not insignificant.

You can probably find a bank in the US that does less killer fees per withdrawal though.

I think he was saying that he wouldn't mind opening an account with a different US bank.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Istari posted:

I think he was saying that he wouldn't mind opening an account with a different US bank.

Ding ding ding. I've got a Chip & Sig card, but I've read that some things like kiosks won't accept those?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Pretty much no sort of self service machines will accept a signature rather than a pin. Pretty much anywhere where you're dealing with a member of staff can accept them but not having a 4 digit pin will probably lead to some (minor) confusion and delays while you explain what's up and hope the 19 year old at the register knows what to do.

Waci fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 10, 2015

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Ding ding ding. I've got a Chip & Sig card, but I've read that some things like kiosks won't accept those?

Around here in Paris, at least, it looks like a lot of automated ticket machines (and store readers) still have swipe readers, but it's been hit-or-miss as to whether they'll authorize it. I used by swipe debit to buy a RER ticket from CDG into the city, but when I got off and tried to buy a Metro from ostensibly the same machine, it wouldn't authorize. But, yeah, the chip+pin card has worked no problem.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

dupersaurus posted:

Around here in Paris, at least, it looks like a lot of automated ticket machines (and store readers) still have swipe readers, but it's been hit-or-miss as to whether they'll authorize it. I used by swipe debit to buy a RER ticket from CDG into the city, but when I got off and tried to buy a Metro from ostensibly the same machine, it wouldn't authorize. But, yeah, the chip+pin card has worked no problem.

Just a word of warning: I found that the SNCF ticket collection machines in France wouldn't accept my foreign chip & pin mastercard, for collecting a ticket I bought online. Didn't try purchasing a ticket from them outright.
The machines for recharging Navigo passes also wouldn't accept the card.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Istari posted:

Just a word of warning: I found that the SNCF ticket collection machines in France wouldn't accept my foreign chip & pin mastercard, for collecting a ticket I bought online. Didn't try purchasing a ticket from them outright.
The machines for recharging Navigo passes also wouldn't accept the card.

My chip+pin is MasterCard, and the SNCF machine accepted it just fine on Sunday...

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

dupersaurus posted:

My chip+pin is MasterCard, and the SNCF machine accepted it just fine on Sunday...

But is it European Mastercard, or foreign Mastercard ?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Istari posted:

But is it European Mastercard, or foreign Mastercard ?

It's a US card

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

dupersaurus posted:

It's a US card

Perhaps it's just Australian cards. Or maybe just my card.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

dupersaurus posted:

You'll get a crappy exchange rate this way. Just use an ATM when you get to Amsterdam and withdraw something like 200 Euros so that $5 fee won't really be a big deal.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Istari posted:

Perhaps it's just Australian cards. Or maybe just my card.

Well, that is my credit card, which is designed to allow it. I couldn't do the same with my debit card (Visa, from a different bank) since Bank of America's chip+pin system is not compatible with the Euro system. Maybe you Aussies have a similar problem.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

dupersaurus posted:

Well, that is my credit card, which is designed to allow it. I couldn't do the same with my debit card (Visa, from a different bank) since Bank of America's chip+pin system is not compatible with the Euro system. Maybe you Aussies have a similar problem.

I tried with my regular debit card, but also with my travel card, which, in theory, is designed to be usable everywhere.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
For anyone thinking about visiting Salzburg, Austria, this is a good overview of cheap things to do

http://theculturetrip.com/europe/austria/articles/top-6-budget-friendly-ways-to-discover-salzburg-/

(coming from someone who lived there for years).

EDIT: Why is there no Austria thread?!

Baxta fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 12, 2015

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm in Amsterdam. Whoever recommend burgermeester is a genius. The food is amazing. Also the dudes on mopeds here are terrifying.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Just stay off our drat bike paths and you will be fine! :v:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

actionjackson posted:

I'm in Amsterdam. Whoever recommend burgermeester is a genius. The food is amazing. Also the dudes on mopeds here are terrifying.

Entropist posted:

Just stay off our drat bike paths and you will be fine! :v:

:agreed: you can walk out into the roads without looking, drivers will stop for you. But look both ways twice before you enter the bike lane.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm in Jordaan and many of the roads have cars bikes and mopeds together. I've seen several mopeds almost run over people on bikes.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Biker gangs has a whole other meaning over here.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Baxta posted:

EDIT: Why is there no Austria thread?!

Because no one goes to Austria :colbert:

Also because it just fits here in the Europe thread.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a difference between the two riz raz locations in Copenhagen? I can't really translate their site well on my phone. I'll be closer to the one on Kannikestræde

I'm also going to buy a few groceries to save money. How is "Rema 1000?“ it's pretty close and I read it has decent prices.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 14, 2015

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

actionjackson posted:

Is there a difference between the two riz raz locations in Copenhagen? I can't really translate their site well on my phone. I'll be closer to the one on Kannikestræde

I'm also going to buy a few groceries to save money. How is "Rema 1000?“ it's pretty close and I read it has decent prices.

The only difference should be in the beef selection between the two Riz Raz, i.e. one offers steaks (Kannikestræde), the other shish kebap style meat. The actual buffet should be pretty much the same. (Also, if you can choose, go either during the week between 1130 and 1600 or on the weekend between 1000 and 1600!)

Rema 1000 is alright, your normal choices are probably either Rema or Netto as the discount supermarkets.

edit: There is also a Netto on Fiolstræde and one on Nørre Voldgade at Nørreport st.

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 14, 2015

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Anyone have any Hostel recommendations in Prague? Looking for a place with a good vibe.

Also looking for recommendations on a hostel in Amsterdam that isn't going to be totally overrun with poms on bucks nights. I remember someone in this thread saying the Jordaan neighborhood is good but all the hostels seems to be in the touristy centre, obviously.

The Slippery Nipple fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 16, 2015

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
e: double post

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

My wife and I are heading to France in August, but don't know where to stay. We want to pick a city that's relatively cheap to fly to (from Toronto), and cheap to stay in. We've been looking at apartment rentals in Bordeaux and Marseille but heard that Marseille is kind of run-down. We love food and wine so the ability to see some vineyards is definitely a plus. What cities would you suggest?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

a primate posted:

My wife and I are heading to France in August, but don't know where to stay. We want to pick a city that's relatively cheap to fly to (from Toronto), and cheap to stay in. We've been looking at apartment rentals in Bordeaux and Marseille but heard that Marseille is kind of run-down. We love food and wine so the ability to see some vineyards is definitely a plus. What cities would you suggest?

How long are you going? You could go to the Cote d'Azur, but be aware that the nation of France is on vacation in August and that bookings will be much more expensive and harder to get. In the unlikely event you can put it off until the beginning of September or end of July, I'd recommend that instead; the weather's just as nice but the prices are literally 1/2 to 2/3rds those of August all over France and you won't be as swarmed with tourists.

Hyères and Six-Four-Les-Plages/Sanary-sur-Mer get two thumbs up from me, and if you go there then you can do a hike through the calanques (near Cassis/La Ciotat). If you go more towards Nice, there are a bunch of nice towns (like Eze) but, again if you care about beaches, they're harder to get to and more crowded, due to the hilliness and rockiness of the coast. Nearby there's also the Verdon Gorge area and, what I much prefer, the department of Vaucluse which basically feels like you're in an impressionist painting (special mention: Lacoste, Menerbes, Roussillon).

There's also coast to the west of the camargue, which is a LOT cheaper and less crowded, but the water is colder and getting around by public transit is more difficult. If you don't care about swimming and would rent a car, then think about that way. Do you care about scenery? Food? Culture? Would you rent a car? Do you want to move around, or stay in the same place the whole time?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anybody been to Malta? Putting together a summer trip to Europe and it's surprisingly cheap to fly to (100 quid return from London) and to actually stay in (60 pounds a night ish on Airbnb in the centre of Valetta.) Would it be worth staying on the smaller island?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Saladman posted:

How long are you going? You could go to the Cote d'Azur, but be aware that the nation of France is on vacation in August and that bookings will be much more expensive and harder to get. In the unlikely event you can put it off until the beginning of September or end of July, I'd recommend that instead; the weather's just as nice but the prices are literally 1/2 to 2/3rds those of August all over France and you won't be as swarmed with tourists.

Hyères and Six-Four-Les-Plages/Sanary-sur-Mer get two thumbs up from me, and if you go there then you can do a hike through the calanques (near Cassis/La Ciotat). If you go more towards Nice, there are a bunch of nice towns (like Eze) but, again if you care about beaches, they're harder to get to and more crowded, due to the hilliness and rockiness of the coast. Nearby there's also the Verdon Gorge area and, what I much prefer, the department of Vaucluse which basically feels like you're in an impressionist painting (special mention: Lacoste, Menerbes, Roussillon).

There's also coast to the west of the camargue, which is a LOT cheaper and less crowded, but the water is colder and getting around by public transit is more difficult. If you don't care about swimming and would rent a car, then think about that way. Do you care about scenery? Food? Culture? Would you rent a car? Do you want to move around, or stay in the same place the whole time?

Thanks for this.
We're more interested in food and culture and don't care about beaches, especially if they're going to be crowded. Unfortunately I can't put off the trip as this is when my work allows vacations most easily. Really, we were looking for a city to explore with shops and restaurants in order to experience the wine and food culture. Making a trip to a vineyard or two would ask be good.

E: I should add that we'll be there for a week, and visiting family in Italy thereafter. My wife is fluent in French so getting around isn't a problem.

a primate fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 16, 2015

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
If you want to experience the food, the recommended place is Lyon, for the wine it's Bordeaux and for culture and shops I guess it's Paris.
I don't know how expensive it would be, but I might recommend touring the Chateaux de la Loire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Alright, we booked Bordeaux! Thanks for the advice.
We're flying Air France to CDG then transferring to Orly to fly to Bordeaux. We have a 9 hour stopover in Paris, so I guess we'll be checking out our baggage and bringing it into the city with us(?). Do they automatically forward your bags, or do we have to drag them in front of the Eiffel Tower?