Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Captain Yossarian posted:

I think this got missed on a previous page, but what is the consensus on the Galaxy S5 Active? I'm finding some pretty cheap (cheaper then the vanilla s5) and was hoping for some goon opinions. I don't mind touch wiz but I am also not in that much of a hurry to pick up another phone.
Currently using the recommend 2013 Moto X and it really is fantastic.

Is there any particular reason you want to switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Welp.

Android 5.1 has it's own memory leak which as been fixed internally but Google has no idea when the fix will be made public.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=159738

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Man, gently caress you Google. You've managed to make Android so much worse than it was just a year ago.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, I take back the "until 5.1 comes out for it" part, is there any way to keep a Moto X on Kit-Kat until Google stops being awful? Or was Jellybean the last good version of Android?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, I take back the "until 5.1 comes out for it" part, is there any way to keep a Moto X on Kit-Kat until Google stops being awful? Or was Jellybean the last good version of Android?

Don't accept the update if / when it goes out. You'll be stuck with that notification that it wants to update forever however.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is that new leak Nexus 5 only, or am I blind? Read through the issue thread and didn't see any other devices mentioned.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Not sure what dark magic Sony has wrought upon my Z1 but whilst it started with a decent battery life in the last few weeks had been burning through the whole thing in around 15hours. Come this week it's come good again; today it's been off charge for 9.5 hours with a decent amount of use (Facebook, Chrome, bluetooth music streaming to my car and messaging) and it's used 15%. Thank you, magic battery gods!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hadn't had a laucher redraw or need for a reboot since I updated to 5.1 on Friday. :shrug:

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
My N5 lasted from Thursday morning 'til Sunday night before it ate itself and needed a reboot.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Please don't post about all this Lollipop negativity, it's important that everyone gets all of those important Lollipop features asap

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is that new leak Nexus 5 only, or am I blind? Read through the issue thread and didn't see any other devices mentioned.
I think the Nexus 5 is the only one that has had an OTA. So other than XDA Recognised Flashlords, it's going to account for the large majority of any reported issues.

My N5 has been fine so far but the jury is still out.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The nexus 6 has an OTA also. It's working fine for me, but so did 5.0.1.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

nimper posted:

Is there any particular reason you want to switch?

Not necessarily switching :) More I'd not seen/heard of it before and was intrigued.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Good thing I'm still rocking 4.4.4 on my Nexus 4. :smug:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mooktastical posted:

So there's an aluminum bumper case out now for the Z3c that's $57.50 shipped. If you can get over the price, it looks like everything one could want in a case. Slim profile, adequate protection, and holes in all the right spots.

Once it arrives, I won't need my current Incipio Dualpro, so if any goons want it, shoot me a pm. I only ask for said goon to cover shipping cost. Fair warning, it has been sanded down on the back plastic and had a hole added for the magnetic charging port.

Post your review when you get it, I'm interested but not necessarily $57.50 shipped interested.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hughmoris posted:

Good thing I'm still rocking 4.4.4 on my Nexus 4. :smug:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sereri posted:

Hadn't had a laucher redraw or need for a reboot since I updated to 5.1 on Friday. :shrug:

Yeah mine is doing good too a week in, battery life is about the same but my memory use is holding solid. Its had about every usage pattern since then too

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah mine is doing good too a week in, battery life is about the same but my memory use is holding solid. Its had about every usage pattern since then too

Third. I did have a drunk moment the other night and rebooted it for the first time in a week for reasons I can't explain but I haven't seen a launcher redraw or app switch crawl since flashing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

22 Eargesplitten posted:

When L drops for the 2013 Moto X, I plan on just ignoring the update for a couple weeks to see if there are widespread reports of issues with it. I'm certainly hoping that with as long as it took for Lollipop to come out for it they've addressed the memory issues and whatnot, but we'll see...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The non-nexus updates are a bit harder to quantify because there's nothing that says the manufacturer couldn't have patched a memory leak issue while still keeping the version lower. Features and patches are back ported all the time.

5.0.2 for the 2013 Moto X should drop within days. The soak test for it started this weekend.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

The non-nexus updates are a bit harder to quantify because there's nothing that says the manufacturer couldn't have patched a memory leak issue while still keeping the version lower. Features and patches are back ported all the time.

5.0.2 for the 2013 Moto X should drop within days. The soak test for it started this weekend.

Moto may have fixed the leak for the Moto X2, because I've had 5.0 (not .01 or .02) since November and I have like zero issues with it in terms of redraws, app crashes, etc.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Captain Yossarian posted:

Not necessarily switching :) More I'd not seen/heard of it before and was intrigued.

I wouldn't bother. You've got a great phone at the moment so I'd stick with it until you really have a reason to get a new one :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

5.1 massively improved random NAND performance for the Nexus 6.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/a-look-at-android-5-1-speed-security-tweaks/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

5.1 massively improved random NAND performance for the Nexus 6.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/a-look-at-android-5-1-speed-security-tweaks/

This is still a huge problem though, for example on sequential reads:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 16, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is still a huge problem though, for reads:

It's not a Read / Write thing. It's sequential vs random. Random got a big boost, sequential did not. Sequential probably won't improve until they integrate in the hardware encryption acceleration. Right now, they're just using Neon instruction sets to boost encryption performance.

Sequential is less of an issue, random is going to have a much larger influence on day to day usability. There are very few use cases that are going to be long sequential reads form NAND with your phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's not a Read / Write thing. It's sequential vs random. Random got a big boost, sequential did not. Sequential probably won't improve until they integrate in the hardware encryption acceleration. Right now, they're just using Neon instruction sets to boost encryption performance.

Sequential is less of an issue, random is going to have a much larger influence on day to day usability. There are very few use cases that are going to be long sequential reads form NAND with your phone.

Yeah, missed the sequential part, haven't had my coffee yet, sorry. You're definitely correct there.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

To the Sony Z3/Z3C owners, it looks like we are finally going to start seeing lollipop rolling out to our devices this week depending on region. Hopefully the build is decent.
http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2015/03/16/starting-our-android-5-0-lollipop-rollout-xperia-z3-xperia-z3-compact/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

There are very few use cases that are going to be long sequential reads form NAND with your phone.

If you're on the road a lot I could see the need for long, sequential reads if that's what happens when watching animes.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Optimus Subprime posted:

To the Sony Z3/Z3C owners, it looks like we are finally going to start seeing lollipop rolling out to our devices this week depending on region. Hopefully the build is decent.
http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2015/03/16/starting-our-android-5-0-lollipop-rollout-xperia-z3-xperia-z3-compact/

Only took them 4 months. This has been my only disappointment with the Z3 Compact, it's a great device. Anyone got any idea how long Vodafone UK take to push Android updates in general?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FAUXTON posted:

If you're on the road a lot I could see the need for long, sequential reads if that's what happens when watching animes.

How about a ~media thing~

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Only took them 4 months. This has been my only disappointment with the Z3 Compact, it's a great device. Anyone got any idea how long Vodafone UK take to push Android updates in general?

What are you complaining for? They did you a favor.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skarsnik posted:

How about a ~media thing~

Oh that too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

WattsvilleBlues posted:

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="442814212"]
What are you complaining for? They did you a favor.

Judging by Lollipop on my '13 N7 I am happy to have been on KitKat for this long. I just hope they brought forward some of the patches in 5.01/5.1 in the rollout. I don't know how they handle that. Will they ship 5.0 and then get further behind on the updates from that point?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mmmm, that M9 gets TOASTY.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/16/you-may-need-to-buy-oven-mitts-with-your-htc-one-m9/

Benchmark peaked it out at 130 F. On the outside...

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

WattsvilleBlues posted:

if the Z4 has Qi charging, I'm gonna be all over that.

Started seeing redraws on my N5 on 5.1 today. Clean flashed it the night it came out. Made it to 135ish hours before I started seeing redraws, which is better than 5.0.1 at least (and it feels much faster otherwise)

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 20, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

bull3964 posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/16/you-may-need-to-buy-oven-mitts-with-your-htc-one-m9/

God help the engineers who have to make that chip work in a case which isn't a giant heatsink :eng99:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's finally fixed!!!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm assuming by the time the software is final they'll have put throttling in place to prevent it from getting that warm.