Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it literally doesn't matter

if they want to write in a saiyan couple who lived on another planet who had lots of adam and eve incest babies rebooting the saiyan race they could

they could do TIME PATROL and evacuate all the saiyans on planet vegeta into the "real" timeline

or whatever

who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many times Toriyama must have watched the original Superman movie to have confused Goku with Superman.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
On a similar note: ever since someone called Future Trunks's plotline "anime Terminator" I can't unsee it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

mycot posted:

On a similar note: ever since someone called Future Trunks's plotline "anime Terminator" I can't unsee it.

Yup. He's Kyle Reese and John Connor rolled into one. One of the cool things about Dragon Ball is how they use a lot of different sources like that, and it somehow still kind of all fits together pretty well.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Raxivace posted:

Yup. He's Kyle Reese and John Connor rolled into one. One of the cool things about Dragon Ball is how they use a lot of different sources like that, and it somehow still kind of all fits together pretty well.

For some reason until then I just assumed Trunks was Marty McFly, but from the perspective of the parents rather than the time-traveling kid.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

mycot posted:

For some reason until then I just assumed Trunks was Marty McFly, but from the perspective of the parents rather than the time-traveling kid.

This would have been pretty hilarious to see. We never did quite see how Vegeta and Bulma ended up together...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

I wonder how many times Toriyama must have watched the original Superman movie to have confused Goku with Superman.

The Dub certainly keeps doing that...

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Seriously, I just can't fathom how anyone can like Vegeta.

Says the guy with the avatar of the most boring one piece character.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

I also have a hard time seeing Android 16 as anything but Arnold Schwarzenegger himself.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

gently caress trophy 2k15 posted:

So any One Piece character?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So any One Piece character?

lmao at someone saying this in the DBZ thread

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

I also have a hard time seeing Android 16 as anything but Arnold Schwarzenegger himself.

We got an actual Schwarzenegger terminator in the show:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't watch One Piece because I feel it falls in line with stuff like Naruto as a thing for babies. Let's talk about this thing from when we were babies instead, that we obsess over like we were in grade school.

Petiso posted:

I like to imagine we got several Terminator's in the show.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Petiso posted:

What's hilarious about this is that it was actually a very timely pop culture reference instead of a stale dated one.

The English dub also throws us a reference to "I'll be back" though it's a bit of a groaner.

So I was listening to new kid Goku voice in xenoverse clips and... I don't like it :( I thought I didn't like the standard dub one but maybe it's just because it's not adorable like the original Japanese voice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i always figured the xenoverse saiyans came from an alternate timeline where they didn't get blown up. i mean future trunks is already from an alternate timeline.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Endorph posted:

i always figured the xenoverse saiyans came from an alternate timeline where they didn't get blown up. i mean future trunks is already from an alternate timeline.

As he will repetitively scream about when you meet GT Trunks. Time Cop Trunks really comes across as not wanting his new friend to think he's uncool or lame and is just "Yeah that's not me, that's a stupid alternate version of me, SERIOUSLY do NOT compare me to GT me."

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I think the game implies GT is itself a totally alternate timeline, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Well, it kind of has to be. There's no way to mesh it with Battle of Gods.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I thought the implication was that we were constructed in that area where there's only sand, formed, given life and memories based on Shenrons instructions, hence why we were able to sort of cheat time.

Maybe I'm just drunk of metaphysics, I dunno.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

VanSandman posted:

Yeah, when you start doing GT stuff time patrol Trunks says something like "In this timeline, blah blah" which definitely implies it's a separate thing. He didn't use that sort of language when describing the other time periods you've gone to.

Which I guess implies that the time scrolls are used to maintain multiple timelines and keep wormholes from shunting things between them.

You don't want Super Saiyan God Goku and Super Saiyan 4 Goku to get together and use the potara earrings after all do you??? (yes you do thatd be rad)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

gently caress trophy 2k15 posted:

He was better pre-timeskip.:smith:

But yeah, I'd take Law over crybaby Vegeta.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Aurain posted:

You can't argue Goku won that second fight, but I wouldn't really argue he won the first considering it took everyone to win and the finishing blow was kind of him loving up (shocker!) by being under Gohan. Vegeta's motivation is to beat a guy he's arguably 2-0 against.

I was under the impression that even before Vegeta went ape, Goku was completely at the end of his tether through using the kaio-ken. Vegeta didn't quite understand that since he just got blasted and decided to use everything at his disposal despite not really needing to.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kelp Plankton posted:

You don't want Super Saiyan God Goku and Super Saiyan 4 Goku to get together and use the potara earrings after all do you??? (yes you do thatd be rad)

Supreme Kai mentions that Potara fusing with Vegeta while both are Super Saiyans would shorten the fused warrior's lifespan considerably, considering they'd never be able to power down.

So, while it would be rad, it'd probably only be so for about 15 minutes.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Supreme Kai mentions that Potara fusing with Vegeta while both are Super Saiyans would shorten the fused warrior's lifespan considerably, considering they'd never be able to power down.

So, while it would be rad, it'd probably only be so for about 15 minutes.

Uh? Source? Vegito in the Manga spawns as a Super Saiyan. His normal form is anime filler.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Nope. He spawns in base form but powers up to SSJ immediately.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Petiso posted:

What happened with the Frankenstein-looking android 8 anyway

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kild posted:

Uh? Source?

"The Potara Fusion is performed using the earrings that the Supreme Kais wear normally. These earrings combine both users into a new being with complete attributes in the final product all the way down to their clothes. This fusion does allow for advanced transformation states such as Super Saiyan forms to be accessed even after the fusion, though the Old Kai comments that while they could technically merge whilst at full power in the state, it will shorten their lifetime significantly from being unable to fall out of the form."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pakmnho9l5E

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Muscle tower was one of my favorite arcs in the original DB

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"The Potara Fusion is performed using the earrings that the Supreme Kais wear normally. These earrings combine both users into a new being with complete attributes in the final product all the way down to their clothes. This fusion does allow for advanced transformation states such as Super Saiyan forms to be accessed even after the fusion, though the Old Kai comments that while they could technically merge whilst at full power in the state, it will shorten their lifetime significantly from being unable to fall out of the form."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pakmnho9l5E

I watched it twice I don't see him say that there.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Does anybody actually "charge their power level" in the anime aside from using the Kaioken? I've only ever read the manga to conclusion, where such a thing never happened, so I'm wondering if there's some precedent to this Dragon Ball internet catchphrase aside from characters doing it in the games.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There's stuff like Vegeta prepping the final flash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1yH7SIOkwU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The thing about that scene is it's really cool though, like actually there's a lot of animation going on and even the filler shots like the clouds being blown away serve a purpose and look interesting.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yo and that payoff.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Muscle tower was one of my favorite arcs in the original DB

I'm showing my boyfriend DB and he hated muscle tower. Well, it started out strong but he lost patience around Ninja Murasaki.

He likes all the goofy fish out of water humor though.

Muscle Tower does feel like a lot of stalling for time though...seems pretty typical for a Shonen - fight these strong guys one at a time through levels and then get to the boss!

What is great about the end of Muscle Tower though is how Goku wants to beat the everloving poo poo out of White but Android 8 stops him.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Muscle tower wasn't so bad. General Blue though, ugh.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
General Blue was, IIRC, Dragonball going "did you realize the Red Ribbon Army were Nazis yet? No? Well, you will now!" Seriously, blonde hair, blue eyes, white, tall, and in a nazi uniform.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'd really like to see a collected release of all the smaller DBZ extras of late...I know Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans came with Raging Blast 2, and Episode of Bardock came with DBZ Kinect...but there's been no official american release of Yo Son Goku and Friends. They should bundle the 3 of those together and sell it!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Sharkopath posted:

There's stuff like Vegeta prepping the final flash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1yH7SIOkwU

top 10 DBZ moment right there

A lesser show would have had Cell swat the beam away or something but Vegeta at least gets to blow a hole in the supervillain before he gets KOd

[edit] also the music when he fires that thing owns

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 16, 2015

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Covok posted:

General Blue was, IIRC, Dragonball going "did you realize the Red Ribbon Army were Nazis yet? No? Well, you will now!" Seriously, blonde hair, blue eyes, white, tall, and in a nazi uniform.

The General Blue arc gave us Arale, so I cannot bring myself to hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

a cartoon duck posted:

The General Blue arc gave us Arale, so I cannot bring myself to hate it.

Gave us Arale in Dragon Ball, that is. Dr. Slump is still its own thing. :v:

• Locked thread