Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I haven't picked up the last of us since that bit in the hotel basement where you turn on a generator and an army of scary spooky skeletons or something suddenly shows up. I hate that poo poo lots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That section lasts a whopping five minutes so you must hate them a whole lot.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It also glitched the gently caress out for me so I was easily able to run through the entire thing while they and the big dude got stuck on everything so :aslol:

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

al-azad posted:

I don't care about generators or flipping fuse boxes in creepy old basements etc. But there definitely needs to be a halt on sewer levels completely. They're not fun. Ever. And where do people live where these cavernous sewers exist? I know NYC and Paris have labyrinthine sewers but Deadlight turned the sewers under Seattle into a multi-floored maze deathtrap.

The sewers are a cliche within a cliche.

e: On second thought I think Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are the only times when I was engaged with navigating winding tunnels and raising water levels. And I don't think engaged is the right word, I just wasn't disinterested.

The sewer levels in Revengeance are great.
Because they are revengeance levels.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Luisfe posted:

The sewer levels in Revengeance are great.
Because they are revengeance levels.

I hated them because Mastiffs are the worst enemy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
No I'm going to say those bulldozer looking things were the worst.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I hated them because Mastiffs are the worst enemy.

gently caress Mastiffs forever, easily the worst part of the game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

I don't care about generators or flipping fuse boxes in creepy old basements etc. But there definitely needs to be a halt on sewer levels completely. They're not fun. Ever. And where do people live where these cavernous sewers exist? I know NYC and Paris have labyrinthine sewers but Deadlight turned the sewers under Seattle into a multi-floored maze deathtrap.

Seattle actually has a multi storied death trap maze under its streets, so not sure that's really worth getting mad about.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Underground

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xoidanor posted:

gently caress Mastiffs forever, easily the worst part of the game.

Did you hate the Mastifs in the sewer, or the "stealth" sections involving them in the Metal Gear game (that was not really designed around stealth sections) :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Section Z posted:

Did you hate the Mastifs in the sewer, or the "stealth" sections involving them in the Metal Gear game (that was not really designed around stealth sections) :v:

I just quit the DLC after I first got smashed in by a Mastiff. Nope, not doing this again. :shepicide:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I thought Mastiffs were a fun enemy to fight.

gently caress that one optional fight where you're in a cramped room with 3 of them though, the camera sucked poo poo in that fight.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Improbable Lobster posted:

They do not seem to be anywhere closer to release however

Gotta be honest: while I was really excited for it at first Alien Isolation quenched my thirst for retro space horror

My thirst for retro space horror (retro lo-fi anything, really) can never be quenched, I'm still really looking forward to Routine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

My thirst for retro space horror (retro lo-fi anything, really) can never be quenched, I'm still really looking forward to Routine.

Yeah, I'm definitely keeping my eye on it but it's not nearly as exciting any more.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

Seattle actually has a multi storied death trap maze under its streets, so not sure that's really worth getting mad about.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Underground

That would have been cool but Deadlight's rat den was a mix between a sewer and the scene where Luke is fighting Darth Vader in Bespin.

The problem with sewer levels is twofold: raise-the-water puzzles and narrow-catwalk-maze puzzles. Raising water is just a bad puzzle, stop it designers. And between Silent Hill and Xenogears my patience for navigating a maze of catwalks that you have to crisscross with no map or landmark is at its limit.

Sewers are creepy and make good ambiance but I don't know how you'd fix them.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 17, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Also Deadlight was a bad game overall.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Pepsiman had the only tolerable sewer level.

And maybe RE4 but only because you could constantly hammer the QTE button and start kicking invisible bugs out of the air.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I liked the sewer levels in Dying Light. Not sure why specifically but I was okay with them.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Resident Evil 2 had a good sewer section for the simple fact it was really short and had a giant rear end alligator.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah that was legit terrifying in RE2. gently caress that's such a good game. Did any of y'all play through RE2 both ways?

Sewer levels are like the most late 90s, early 2000s game thing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah that was legit terrifying in RE2. gently caress that's such a good game. Did any of y'all play through RE2 both ways?

Sewer levels are like the most late 90s, early 2000s game thing.

I got RE2 after busting my rear end for an all A report card. Over spring break I played Leon A to Claire B, Claire A to Leon B, then mastered Hunk and Tofu. I want to dig it out right now.

e: Wow, I found my Versus guide. I got a Gameshark just so I could use the codes that let you see the unused backgrounds.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 17, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I played both orders of the campaigns, I'm partial to Leon A/Claire B even though the opposite has a bigger climax.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I dimly remember Parasite Eve 2 also had a sewer level with a giant rear end alligator, was it good

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Never played through 2 past the first few stages, but Sewer Gator is the first boss in the first Parasite Eve. It's a'ite.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

I dimly remember Parasite Eve 2 also had a sewer level with a giant rear end alligator, was it good

Parasite Eve 1 had the alligator, but Parasite Eve 2 had a secret tunnel under a well if that counts.

e: PE2 is also actually a really good game

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Metro 2033/LL have the best sewer sections because like 90% of the games take place inside one giant sewer :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:20bux: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QafY6KOXnU8&t=2507s :20bux:
Time is 41:50 if it refuses to work

What happened to the days when games this lovely were freeware?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

signs of mental illness include the colour purple, red, and waaaaaaavy spaaaace

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Xoidanor posted:

What happened to the days when games this lovely were freeware?

If you can make a lovely game and get paid for it, more power to you. I'd be happy if I could whip up some low-effort horror game and have a couple of shmucks throw a bunch of cash my way.

If anything these games should be teaching people to shop smartly so it's win/win for all :colbert:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
So, uh, about that Silent Hills...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/kojima-expected-to-leave-konami-after-mgs5-inside-/1100-6426024/

At least Del Toro is still on? For now?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Well poo poo.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The series is cursed. We're never going to get another great Silent Hill game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How the gently caress do you have a 'falling out' with Hideo Kojima? You do whatever the gently caress that man says, because he will make you millions of dollars.

gently caress. I was really excited to see my favorite game dev reboot one of my favorite game series. Del Toro can suck my balls. He isn't even the Del Toro that makes horror movies, that's a different Del Toro.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 21, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The series is cursed. We're never going to get another great Silent Hill game.
I don't know; Downpour wasn't that long ago.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

This news is SHITTTTTTTTTTTT

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Niggurath posted:

I don't know; Downpour wasn't that long ago.

Downpour was crippled by a lack of budget, polish and the fact it was the least scary Silent Hill game out there. Though you could tell the developers did try with that game but it wasn't enough.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How the gently caress do you have a 'falling out' with Hideo Kojima? You do whatever the gently caress that man says, because he will make you millions of dollars.

gently caress. I was really excited to see my favorite game dev reboot one of my favorite game series. Del Toro can suck my balls. He isn't even the Del Toro that makes horror movies, that's a different Del Toro.

It's Guillermo Del Toro, who wrote and directed The Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth, and loads of other good horror poo poo, and Mimic. The only other Del Toro I know is Benicio, who is almost strictly an actor.

Unless there's some secret third famous Del Toro I don't know about who specializes in even surreal-er horror.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SkeletonHero posted:

It's Guillermo Del Toro, who wrote and directed The Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth, and loads of other good horror poo poo, and Mimic. The only other Del Toro I know is Benicio, who is almost strictly an actor.

Unless there's some secret third famous Del Toro I don't know about who specializes in even surreal-er horror.

For some reason I thought there was a Del Toro involved in the Halloween reboot, which was pretty goddamn bad. Not sure where I got that from. Turns out I've only seen Mimic and Pacific Rim as things he's done.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

For some reason I thought there was a Del Toro involved in the Halloween reboot, which was pretty goddamn bad.

Toro means bull and that remake was straight up bullshit.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
That "falling out" must've been intense as hell for Konami to let their only remaining money-maker go. drat.

Super bummed about this. Pretty much no way Silent Hills won't just get canceled at this point, and even if it doesn't it won't be anything like what P.T. set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

This is about the point where we find out they'd barely done any work on the game, isn't it.

I don't know how any one company can shoot themselves in the foot this badly. They gave Kojima carte blanche to screw with the player, an activity he loves only slightly less than elaborate plots and movie references. Hell, they could've called the new game Hideo Kojima Fucks With Your Head and it would've sold millions. This must've been beyond ugly for a split like this to happen.