Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Scyantific posted:

Victorian Iron-Man?

It's Baroque Iron Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Practical Demon posted:

It's Baroque Iron Man.

But I thought he was supposed to be rich:haw:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

grumplestiltzkin posted:

But I thought he was supposed to be rich:haw:
:getout:

Are there any more photos of this guy?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InequalityGodzilla posted:

:getout:

Are there any more photos of this guy?

I just found the guy's facebook.
Turns out, it's just a really good 3D rendering. Oops.

https://www.facebook.com/anderson.jones.9/photos

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Here's my roommate at Gen Con with a fully functional Bow.

(with bonus Katniss getting a piece of that sweet initiative)

We made the whole convention without so much as a peep from anyone and got about halfway through an anime con here before some security shut us down.

I made all his arrows "un-nockable" and we just kinda hoped that would be enough. Not sure what we'll do in the future (I think he's gonna be Daredevil anyway).

Oh man, I knew that sooner or later I'd get to do an "I know that person." That Katniss was in my PhD program. Her husband has cosplayed a ripped as gently caress wolverine a few things (though I think he was a 300 Spartan at that GenCon), so he might be in the thread too.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I am going to be working Monster Mania this weekend as a staff member. Not quite sure what I'll be doing yet. I've never been to a con much less worked one and the only thing I really know about them is from the internet and this thread. Should I expect drunk smelly goons in costumes trying to touch me or what the hell goes on at these things?

I will probably be taking lots of pictures at least.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Polish posted:

I am going to be working Monster Mania this weekend as a staff member. Not quite sure what I'll be doing yet. I've never been to a con much less worked one and the only thing I really know about them is from the internet and this thread. Should I expect drunk smelly goons in costumes trying to touch me or what the hell goes on at these things?

I will probably be taking lots of pictures at least.

Why would they want to touch you?

Seriously, though, the cons I've been to were no different from any other large gathering of people I've been in. There's just more Spartans and catgirls.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I dont expect anyone to touch me.. don't really care if they do anyways. I just find this whole thing odd but interesting. Should be fun regardless.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Polaron posted:

Why would they want to touch you?
Maybe he was trying to be funny.

If you're working Registration, you will be busy. Try to be as efficient as possible. People just want to get through the line as fast as they can.

If you're working the doors, you're just checking badges and making sure the room doesn't go over maximum occupancy.

If you're working panels, you'll set up mics, videos, etc. For gently caress's sake, make sure all that poo poo works or you'll have a lot of pissy people.

There are quite a few things you could be doing. Whatever it is, be efficient and be professional. Ask if you don't know the answer. Use common sense.

You may get bored (especially if you're just checking badges at the less popular panels), so if you're allowed to bring a book or something, do so.

Con goers aren't really a rowdy group. You'll get the occasional smelly guy (especially the last day), but that's par for the course. Do keep an eye out for anyone being a creep to cosplayers-- male or female. And make sure no one is blocking fire exits.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Thanks for the info. I work at an ice rink too so I am used to 500-600 teenagers doing their thing. Figure it cant be worse than that.

I'll post some pictures after the event.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

I've never seen a Cecil like this. Awesome!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Original dragon armor design by Erza Cosplay, super impressive detail work. Her progress shots on her facebook page are definitely worth checking out.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Wow, nice scar makeup too. Most people usually only go for a light bodypaint or rush the application, but she really took her time there.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

McPantserton posted:

Original dragon armor design by Erza Cosplay, super impressive detail work. Her progress shots on her facebook page are definitely worth checking out.

I have to give all of my props. That's some intricate vein-work. The only thing I know to compare it to is Interview With a Vampire. On that set they hung the principle vamp actors upside-down until the veins in their faces were visible enough for the makeup artist to trace.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

McPantserton posted:

Dayum , it's like Loki on PCP.

I love it :allears:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'm pretty sure the face scars were done using rigid collodion, which is actually super easy to do. You put down flat color with whatever first, then paint the collodion on in layers and it puckers your skin a little so if you apply it well it looks super realistic. Smells like the devil's taint, though!

Here's another one of her costumes that I really like with bonus goofy angled photography because I know how much this thread loves that

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Oh no! A Hylian Hornet stung Princess Zelda's lips!

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

ummm can we not DSL shame please

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
RE the space marine chick:

I feel like short to average women can probably pull them off better than a dude, since they'll make the proportions for the height:width seem correct. Unlike a 6' guy who will seem gangly in the armor even if he's actually really buff.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

McPantserton posted:

I'm pretty sure the face scars were done using rigid collodion, which is actually super easy to do. You put down flat color with whatever first, then paint the collodion on in layers and it puckers your skin a little so if you apply it well it looks super realistic. Smells like the devil's taint, though!

Here's another one of her costumes that I really like with bonus goofy angled photography because I know how much this thread loves that

Don't you have to be really careful not to overuse that stuff, or it will actually scar?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Don't you have to be really careful not to overuse that stuff, or it will actually scar?

It's pretty harsh, but honestly I think you'd have to be kind of a moron to give yourself a real scar with it. Last time I used it I had a red irritated mark on my face after I peeled it off, so I didn't use it until the irritation was better and my face is just fine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Dutch angles are pretty terrible, but I've never heard of them scarring people.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

McPantserton posted:

Can't you do the same thing with liquid latex? I've seen that used for scars, but I don't know if it gives the same effect.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Funzo posted:

Can't you do the same thing with liquid latex? I've seen that used for scars, but I don't know if it gives the same effect.

No idea, I suck pretty hard at makeup in general and the internet made me think collodion was the easiest choice :shobon:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Funzo posted:

I've mostly heard the use of liquid latex as used with shredded toilet paper for burn scars, since it doesn't have the pucker factor that collodion does. But that's just what I've heard from people in cosplay threads, so I might be wrong!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

La-la-la-la-lens dutch flare angle!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

She's cute but that doesn't look like it was put together all that well. Every single triangle in all of those triforces is lopsided. Also if she wanted to dress in a bikini that badly I don't understand why she didn't just cosplay as Lana.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McPantserton posted:

... and my face is just fine.

You should know better than to hand a straight line like that to the people in this thread :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Speleothing posted:

RE the space marine chick:

I feel like short to average women can probably pull them off better than a dude, since they'll make the proportions for the height:width seem correct. Unlike a 6' guy who will seem gangly in the armor even if he's actually really buff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMvCWEAdUxI

tall and gangly means he can pull off the Space marine tiny head syndrome.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I've mostly heard the use of liquid latex as used with shredded toilet paper for burn scars, since it doesn't have the pucker factor that collodion does. But that's just what I've heard from people in cosplay threads, so I might be wrong!

Yeah, the "puckering" effect is exactly why collodion is used so often in cosplay. You can do just as detailed work with liquid latex or other products, but the collodion does some of the work for you.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

You're doing god's work, sir.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

She's cute but that doesn't look like it was put together all that well. Every single triangle in all of those triforces is lopsided. Also if she wanted to dress in a bikini that badly I don't understand why she didn't just cosplay as Lana.

Isn't it like a Slave Leia version of Zelda?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rodbeard posted:

*puts hand on your shoulder*

Not everyone has to be a McPantserton, McKilligan or Jessica Nigri of cosplay all the time and that's alright.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

She could have put more work into the costume though. That's mediocre work at best. At least pin the gloves so they look like they fit.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thank you.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Opal from Steven Universe.
Pretty impressive that someone cosplayed a four-armed, twelve foot tall woman (note the platform boots).

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Lord Frisk posted:

She could have put more work into the costume though. That's mediocre work at best. At least pin the gloves so they look like they fit.

What're you two trying to accomplish here? Like, for reals. Is there an unspoken mark of quality you expect out of the something awful dot com Cosplay Photos Thread that's not being met? Do you think she's reading the thread and will take your constructive criticism to heart? Is it just a goon thing since it's hard to argue in here about what is and is not cosplay (like in the Schadenfreude thread), we resort to arguing about what is and is not GOOD cosplay? Who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's criticism of a costume in the costume thread. What's not to get?

E: also, you care. You care a lot.

Dr. Lunchables has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Mar 16, 2015

• Locked thread