Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

dietcokefiend posted:

Some of the stuff with that dudes house isn't exactly "flipped in a terrible way" more so being just you bought a really bad house that wasn't built well to begin with. The stuff he goes on and on and on about being stuff the flippers did is in part stuff that the original builder of the house could skimped out on. It still doesn't change the fact it sucks really bad, but hell its not just one dude's fault or negligence here.

The flipper didn't do anything to cause the basement to flood every time it rains, but the flipper *did* conceal and cover that up by replacing the drywall and painting it without primer. The flipper also removed load bearing columns. Even though the flipper didn't cause 100% of the problems with that garbage house, they probably knew about and concealed 95% of those problems.

Zhentar posted:

Believing that it's reasonable for a home inspector to identify those kinds of issues is a reassuring fantasy, and little more. All of the serious issues were hidden behind drywall and under concrete where no inspector can look. A very determined expert might have identified some more of the issues with enough time and a thermal camera, but that goes far beyond the established standards for home inspection.

You're not wrong, but on the other hand, raccoons in the attic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

everybody posted:

Inspection problems.

You guys need to post more construction fails, load bearing drywall and such.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Brick, gap, brick, gap, brick, gap, brick, brick OH gently caress

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Brick, gap, brick, gap, brick, gap, brick, brick OH gently caress

Looks like they smashed though it by moving furniture and someone hastily set bricks in place. The next strong wind will knock 'em over. Probably tenants moving out, not looking to lose a security deposit!

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Goddamn.

quote:

hammers pounding in a nearby house, and discover that it has no building permit. I immediately call the city Building Inspector who arrives on the scene shortly thereafter.

His last post. The inspector told the fuckers who called him, and they killed him. That's why he's posted nothing in more than two weeks.

RIP the guy who bought Grover's house v 2.0

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

kizudarake posted:

His last post. The inspector told the fuckers who called him, and they killed him. That's why he's posted nothing in more than two weeks.
Source?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsdRjR6oK4Q

this is probably the smuggest this guy has felt since he bought that house.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
calling the inspectors not a dick move. Being smug about his property values dick move, posting on you tube about it super dick move

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

canyoneer posted:

The flipper didn't do anything to cause the basement to flood every time it rains, but the flipper *did* conceal and cover that up by replacing the drywall and painting it without primer. The flipper also removed load bearing columns. Even though the flipper didn't cause 100% of the problems with that garbage house, they probably knew about and concealed 95% of those problems.

You're not wrong, but on the other hand, raccoons in the attic.

Yeah, some of that poo poo is incredibly obvious and should have been caught. A lot isn't, but stuff like the coons nesting in the attic, not being able to locate the crawlspace access for an entire addition, and the like are basic due diligence.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Even low wage commissioned sales jobs make otherwise decent humans into depraved equivocating monsters. When the sale going through is worth tend of thousands of dollars to the salesperson? Forget about it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

max4me posted:

calling the inspectors not a dick move. Being smug about his property values dick move,

Especially because he's got this giant loving web page about what a worthless piece of poo poo his house is. Even after he fixes it up to where he can live in it, who's going to buy a house where an internet search shows you dozens of pages about what a worthless piece of poo poo it used to be?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Phanatic posted:

Especially because he's got this giant loving web page about what a worthless piece of poo poo his house is. Even after he fixes it up to where he can live in it, who's going to buy a house where an internet search shows you dozens of pages about what a worthless piece of poo poo it used to be?

He should have hidden all the problems like the previous flipper did and sold it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Baronjutter posted:

He should have hidden all the problems like the previous flipper did and sold it.

"Oh, the basement used to flood? But you hired a contractor to rip out the floor, redo the drainage, pour a new floor, and then you finished it yourself? And then that contractor hosed up the work and it kept flooding and you needed to redo it again? And to pump it out so you could do that you used a shopvac?"

"And you did *how* much work on the rest of the house?"

Oh yeah, people will be lining up to buy that thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Phanatic posted:

"Oh, the basement used to flood? But you hired a contractor to rip out the floor, redo the drainage, pour a new floor, and then you finished it yourself? And then that contractor hosed up the work and it kept flooding and you needed to redo it again? And to pump it out so you could do that you used a shopvac?"

"And you did *how* much work on the rest of the house?"

Oh yeah, people will be lining up to buy that thing.

You lie, just like the people he bought the house from. The entire real-estate industry is based on these lies. The next person to buy the house would have done the same. An endless chain of money-losing flips enriching real-estate agents.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, the youtube makes him look like a real rear end in a top hat. I don't know why he was smugging off about property values, that is like the doucheiest reason to use. He could have stood there looking concerned and said 'I have seen how terrible and potential dangerous unlicensed work can be, so I don't want it happening to anyone else.'

I mean the people were pulling out asbestos, that's like the number 1 thing you can kick people to safety-panic over. But even if not, it's easy to say 'Look if you get some lovely cowboy wiring, it could burn down your house. It could kill you, it could kill the next owner, it could start a fire that spreads to other houses in the neighborhood.'

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phanatic posted:

On the up side he'll have plenty of documentation to hand over.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Baronjutter posted:

You lie, just like the people he bought the house from. The entire real-estate industry is based on these lies. The next person to buy the house would have done the same. An endless chain of money-losing flips enriching real-estate agents.

The Market for Lemons

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006
While I feel for how bad he got shafted on his house, I question him and his motives. He states the problem early on when he signed a waiver as part of the sale that basically said "this is your hellhole now, tough poo poo". I'm not entirely sure calling code enforcement on a neighbor getting something done at his house is the best way to prove his point.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This just in: fools love to find ways to feel superior.

rekamso
Jan 22, 2008
I used to have this neighbor.

He'd call the inspectors on me all the drat time for all sorts of things that don't require inspection or simply were woodworking hobby projects.

Such an ignorant rear end in a top hat. Everyone hated him; I don't think he actually hated anyone else, at least not intentionally.

Deep 13
Sep 6, 2007
"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's WORK OUT"
I think this thread would appreciate Grant Thompson, youtube DIY superstar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9UjxG8sN1c

Check out this current controller you can make at home!

If you like this, his homebuilt arc welder project is pretty great, too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That is terrifying. :stare:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Can we move on from That One Terrible Idiot if that's at all possible?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Which one, the one calling up building inspectors or the guy building a fluid filled variable power controller? :stare:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

SynthOrange posted:

Which one, the one calling up building inspectors or the guy building a fluid filled variable power controller? :stare:

The former.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:stonk: Someone's going to kill themselves with that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Covered in lye water and being electrocuted. It's great!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Deep 13 posted:

That guy is boring.
Instant arc welder, built in 15 minutes:
https://youtu.be/co6SUTVGqOs

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Covered in lye water and being electrocuted. It's great!

Liquid rheostats are actually real non-homebuilt things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E6pWxgunAA

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I might be the idiot for saying it, but there really doesn't seem to be much wrong with that other than he's made absolutely no attempt to seal the solution off so that if it gets knocked around, it doesn't spill. That said, that's assuming the wiring for his house is done properly, and he goes back and fixes some potential shorts on the device in case of splashes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

tonberrytoby posted:

That guy is boring.

Of course it's Russian. I don't think it'd actually work if he wasn't Russian.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

tonberrytoby posted:

That guy is boring.

Eye protection? I'll just look the other way while welding!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Eye protection? I'll just look the other way while welding!

"safety squint"

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Of course it's Russian. I don't think it'd actually work if he wasn't Russian.

I swear, you could probably interchange Russians and Orks in Warhammer 40K from the sound of it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

It was a joke.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

WeaselWeaz posted:

Stuff like that is why I didn't but a flipped house. My house is old, buy I'm the third owner and know most of the work that was done.

That said, this guy is an rear end in a top hat. When at the beginning he finds out one of the cabinet doors wasn't attached I can't see how he wouldn't have seen that in the walkthrough or earlier. He was plenty negligent. And he called a building inspector on a neighbor. Friendly.

Calling the city on a neighbor is a pretty douchey thing. Though, in this circumstance, it was probably warranted due to it being asbestos mitigation. However, it's not like city inspectors necessarily pay much attention to your work. When I re-built my deck, the inspection took less than 30 seconds. Most of that time was spent in the inspector digging out his pen.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Deep 13 posted:

Pssh, all you need is a handful of 9V batteries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nyQ4pMr9pg

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

Pssh, all you need is a handful of 9V batteries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nyQ4pMr9pg

"I eventually abandoned this escapade due to my batteries hissing alkaline gas. Go figure." :stare:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's literally just the extremely exaggerated perspective of a wide angle lens. Barrel distortion has apparently been corrected for very well by the camera. Things farther away, like the corner of the room you see in the middle, seem smaller; things closer by, like the corners of the room left and right, seem bigger. Throw in the angled roofline and the zigzags and your brain shits itself.

The same corner if the roofline weren't angled (shelf and top line of the bird picture in green):

With angled roofline:

The phone's not correcting for barrel distortion, it just has a wide angle rectilinear lens. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Welcome to December?