Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
GPU mixing is confirmed to be a thing with DX12.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/microsoft-confirms-directx-12-mix-amd-and-nvidia-multi-gpus,2.html

Personally, I see this going the way of the LucidLogix Hydra, but maybe Microsoft can get it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What kind of temperatures do you guys see when on idle at 100% fan speed? I'm just trying to figure out how good the cooler is on my 970. With stock clocks and around 6% GPU usage(GPU acceleration in web browser) I'm getting 26*C at idle.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Sitting at room temp from 5-10W idle use will not tell you how good the cooler is. It shouldn't even turn on under 60°C.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

SlayVus posted:

What kind of temperatures do you guys see when on idle at 100% fan speed? I'm just trying to figure out how good the cooler is on my 970. With stock clocks and around 6% GPU usage(GPU acceleration in web browser) I'm getting 26*C at idle.
What's the ambient temperature of the room, your other components and how are they situated? As a comparison I'm in a colder climate and with my setup there's a CPU watercooler (h80i) just above my 970. Using an aggressive fan curve with a 50% floor on the GPU it sits at 25C when idle, 31C with normal usage, and hits 54C when I push it hard for hours. Putting it on 100% isn't going to make a significant difference compared to 50% for low loads and isn't worth the noise trade-off.

e: lol not turning on fans until 60C

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
If you manually set your fans to 100% at idle it will pretty much always be a few degrees above ambient (think something like 5). Unfortunately it isn't a very good indicator of cooler efficiency either since even a fairly lovely cooler at max TDP is still far more than enough at 15 watts. I have done this quite a few times however simply to hear how loud the card gets (since I never do in any other scenario) [thats how you know ive never owned a 290] <hurr>

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

e: lol not turning on fans until 60C

yeah, what a bunch of idiots with less noisy computers :confused:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
My 480 was just an EVGA base model so I basically got to choose between 85C under load or the soothing sounds of a high RPM RC helicopter running next to my desk because the fan needed to be 80%+ to put a dent in the heat.

The worst/best part was the fan profile was really awful, but I couldn't tell if that was intentional or not so people didn't bitch about noise in reviews since less people watch temps then have ears.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Khagan posted:

GPU mixing is confirmed to be a thing with DX12.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/microsoft-confirms-directx-12-mix-amd-and-nvidia-multi-gpus,2.html

Personally, I see this going the way of the LucidLogix Hydra, but maybe Microsoft can get it to work.

Haha, no it's not.

The "proof" is a forum post of a screen capture of a helpdesk conversation, with a tech who almost certainly has zero access to devs, saying something incredibly ambiguous.

Most likely, what she's talking about is the ability to run several cards in a system at once, from different manufacturers. Not in any SLI/Crossfire configuration between them, mind you, just in the sense of "they're all displaying a desktop." This is functionality that was present in XP, went away in Vista due to the changed driver model, came back in Win7, and has been part of Windows and DirectX ever since.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Space Gopher posted:

Haha, no it's not.

I thought that was :thejoke: but sometimes I really don't now anymore ...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Potato Salad posted:

How's the quality of the pasting between the 980HC and its OEM waterblock?

Complete and utter crap. The guy I bought these off of had already replaced the TIM though. The one I got from Microcenter had the stock tim and it was junk.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Space Gopher posted:

Haha, no it's not.

The "proof" is a forum post of a screen capture of a helpdesk conversation, with a tech who almost certainly has zero access to devs, saying something incredibly ambiguous.

Most likely, what she's talking about is the ability to run several cards in a system at once, from different manufacturers. Not in any SLI/Crossfire configuration between them, mind you, just in the sense of "they're all displaying a desktop." This is functionality that was present in XP, went away in Vista due to the changed driver model, came back in Win7, and has been part of Windows and DirectX ever since.

Yeah the idea that a contractor support rep has any idea what is going on in the graphics kernel team aside from public knowledge is a bit silly

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Installed my new MSI GTX 970 4G last night. Very impressed so far with Far Cry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition and Shadows of Mordor all running at max settings. One thing I did notice with Shadows of Mordor is that I was getting lots of horizontal lines/waves appearing. Is this screen tearing? I noticed VSync was off so I turned that on and it improved the situation but not entirely. Any suggestions for eliminating these graphical glitches entirely?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Rhaegar posted:

Installed my new MSI GTX 970 4G last night. Very impressed so far with Far Cry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition and Shadows of Mordor all running at max settings. One thing I did notice with Shadows of Mordor is that I was getting lots of horizontal lines/waves appearing. Is this screen tearing? I noticed VSync was off so I turned that on and it improved the situation but not entirely. Any suggestions for eliminating these graphical glitches entirely?

Yes it is almost certainly tearing. First, lower your settings to the bare minimum and see if it goes away (it should). Then if it does, you can adjust your settings until you're happy, or overclock it (I recommend), or most likely both. When you install MSI Afterburner make sure you select Rivatuner as well. In there you can set your frame rate cap (if you have a 60 hz monitor). This can really help with tearing, or not at all, but its never a bad thing either.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Rhaegar posted:

I had the same problem, it's an issue with mordor specifically. Change the framelimiter from 60 to unlimited.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Assuming these benchmarks are real, full-fat Fiji XT looks very good indeed.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

Haha, no it's not.

This will be possible with Vulkan. Once you enumerate the GPUs on the system you can then query various combinations and it will tell you how much interoperability is possible, if any. See page 15 here.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know where I can buy a multi-gpu jack/lift? I don't like how much my GPU bends in my case and am looking for something to allievate it. PowerCooler used to make one. A newegg search isn't coming up with any results either.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Hace posted:

I had the same problem, it's an issue with mordor specifically. Change the framelimiter from 60 to unlimited.

That was it. Thanks!

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

SlayVus posted:

Anyone know where I can buy a multi-gpu jack/lift? I don't like how much my GPU bends in my case and am looking for something to allievate it. PowerCooler used to make one. A newegg search isn't coming up with any results either.

You could always look to the award winning inanimate carbon rod, one size fits all cut to length.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
http://videocardz.com/55013/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-3dmark-performance

I am so on board if it's at $999.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm surprised that the Titan Z is basically the same perf. What am I missing?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

I'm surprised that the Titan Z is basically the same perf. What am I missing?

Two Titan GPUS in one card? (unless you know this then im confused)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

1gnoirents posted:

Two Titan GPUS in one card? (unless you know this then im confused)

Yeah, I guess I thought it would still be ahead given inefficiencies in SLI, but in hindsight I don't know why.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I guess I thought it would still be ahead given inefficiencies in SLI, but in hindsight I don't know why.

Oh I thought you meant the other way around. Yeah I suppose when I think about it I'd have expected it to be fairly ahead as well. I always figured it just sucked for the dollar but maybe it just sucks too

980 getting delivered between now and 8 pm :dance:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The TitanZ also has pitifully low clocks at stock as it is a standard quiet air cooler. Under water they are basically exactly 200% as fast as a Titan Black (clock for clock) in well made programs.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

1gnoirents posted:

980 getting delivered between now and 8 pm :dance:

I feel like I called this

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Hace posted:

I feel like I called this

Hey man, im slowing down. I've only had 4 970's, its been out for months.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Hace posted:

You might as just get a 980 now and add another later, because there is 0% chance you won't end up there eventually.

6 months is a pretty good wait, I'll give you that

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Lol. Should have listened, going to actually lose a bit this time (sorta).

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Grim Up North posted:

Assuming you want a 4GB one, it seems that Asus has confirmed that they will launch theirs this month. (But ^^^ it might not make sense to buy one.)

Nope, I definitely meant 3gb. Nothing I ever do will ever need 4, but I really don't feel like 2gb is enough.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Gibbo posted:

Nope, I definitely meant 3gb. Nothing I ever do will ever need 4, but I really don't feel like 2gb is enough.

Given that it is a 128 bit bus, you'll only ever get 2 or 4 GB of VRAM. You'd need a 192bit bus for 1.5/3GB options (ignoring weird split bus stuff like the 550ti or 970).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If the Titan X truly does retail for $999, I think I might have to break my $399 max rule of video cards. I think someone's lying their rear end off, even though Titans have routinely retailed for $999 (when they're not price-gouged), but this one's got double the frame buffer.

Of course, it'd be criminal to get a damned Titan X, then run it on my 2412M, so $999 easily turns into $1699+ when you add a semi-decent 4K display or a wide LG.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 16, 2015

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I hope this isn't true

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Where the hell did that come from?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-390x-alleged-specifications-performance-numbers-leaked-60-faster-r9-290x/

(yeah I know)

then they got it from

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/AMDs-Next-Gen-Grafikkarte-R9-390X-soll-ueber-700-US-Dollar-kosten-2575802.html

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hey thread. I'm in the market for a new card. I don't follow this kind of thing anymore and the OP seems way out of date.

I currently have a 560Ti. I guess, from my 5 minute research is that a 970 is what I'd like in terms of a similar card in the scale?

Is the 900 series going to get a Ti line that I should wait for instead? Are there any cards in the previous line that are worth looking at if I want to save some money?

Someone hold my hand!

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

1gnoirents posted:

I hope this isn't true

Seems to be the same prices heise.de, a usually reliable source, got to see at CeBIT. Both 390 and 390X faster than a 290X as expected.

Nice to see that they are going for 8GB HBM VRAM.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Grim Up North posted:

Seems to be the same prices heise.de, a usually reliable source, got to see at CeBIT. Both 390 and 390X faster than a 290X as expected.

Nice to see that they are going for 8GB HBM VRAM.

At $700 for a 390 I sure hope so

Zigmidge posted:

Hey thread. I'm in the market for a new card. I don't follow this kind of thing anymore and the OP seems way out of date.

I currently have a 560Ti. I guess, from my 5 minute research is that a 970 is what I'd like in terms of a similar card in the scale?

Is the 900 series going to get a Ti line that I should wait for instead? Are there any cards in the previous line that are worth looking at if I want to save some money?

Someone hold my hand!

short answer is you picked the right one if its in your budget

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Zigmidge posted:

Someone hold my hand!

Get a 970 unless you are running at 1440p or higher. The 970 is pretty close to the 980 and if they made a 970ti it would basically be a 980, the 960 has too little ram and just isn't all that impressive, the 970 is probably your best bet for a nvidia card. You could go with a 290 instead if you want to try out AMD, the prices on those have come down a lot in response to the 900 series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Maybe it was posted in this thread and I am too retarded to find it, but is there any hint about any of the mid range (380, 370) cards performance? I want to hazard a guess and say the 370X and GTX960 are comparable based on the theorized pricing, so the 380 looks to compete with the 970?