Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Read more
Stop playing video games
Don't be a little bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Don't be a little bitch

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

write every day
first page is the hardest
bros before hos

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
dont suck
suck less
be less sucky

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
How do you do it?
You write.
You finish
what you write.
You look for publishers
who publish "that kind of thing."
Burma Shave.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
so you want to write?
stop playing video games
and just write, write, write

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Some writing advice:
Words one after the other.
Terrible Haiku.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I like to
use
my carriage return at totally rand
om places

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

rejection slips are for pussies

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So
Writing

You are difficult
And I don't want to do you

Yet I must
Or else these stories
Will drive me nuts

- ej thribb, 17

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
The first haiku wasn't funny, and each subsequent haiku has been ten times less funny than the one before it

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

oh we were doing haikus?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
In my case the DTs were just getting the best of me.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

angel opportunity posted:

The first haiku wasn't funny, and each subsequent haiku has been ten times less funny than the one before it

man this isnt even a haiku wtf are you even trying

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

man this isnt ev
en a haiku wtf
are you even trying

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lol at name change
lol, lolol, lol lol
doesn't care about syllable count in last line

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Truth,
Justice,
The Thuderdome Way

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Hey seb, are you guys making a thread for your bet between Muffin and SH or whatever, or do you not want to jinx it with goon project taint?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Please don't say goon taint, I find it triggering.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

http://io9.com/2-secrets-to-writing-a-story-that-people-cant-tear-them-1691997576

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

That's actually not bad.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Hey Battuta, or anyone else who actually has stuff published.

What is your process for getting something ~DONE~?

I have like, three short stories that are kind of done, one I actually submitted but it was rejected. I think that one is good enough to revise heavily and try again, and the other two need heavy revision as well, but I want to submit them. I kind of took a break from writing at all for several months, so these are mostly from last summer. Do you tend to just say, "I'm going to completely finish this story and submit it within (timeframe)," or do you have several things that you are doing first/second drafts of all at once while constantly revising other stories that are further along? I know there is no correct answer to this, but I keep waffling between a bunch of poo poo and sometimes wonder if I would not be better off to just focus on one thing at a time and see it through to completion.

For the story I mentioned above, which I submitted to Beneath Ceaseless Skies, I only was able to reach that point by setting very hard deadlines and just doing it even before I thought it was totally ready. I haven't set a deadline like that since, and I haven't "finished" a story since...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
On short fiction I try to move pretty fast, cause even if it sells you're not going to get much out of it except improved skills, a sense of satisfaction, a couple hundred and a blog comment or two — so the real point is to finish, feel good, sell, find something new to work on, repeat.

I do one story at a time but I don't have much patience. I write it, let it sit* a day or two (*poking at it constantly), send it out to friends for crits, forget about them if they take more than a week, do a draft, and start submitting. If it's a year old I'd probably give it focus for a couple days, do the pass/full draft, and treat it like a new finished story.

I guess the short version is that yeah, I do one thing at a time. The finish line is getting a few eyes on it, reading the story top to bottom, and feeling good about it.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

I have like, three short stories that are kind of done, one I actually submitted but it was rejected. I think that one is good enough to revise heavily and try again, and the other two need heavy revision as well, but I want to submit them. I kind of took a break from writing at all for several months, so these are mostly from last summer. Do you tend to just say, "I'm going to completely finish this story and submit it within (timeframe)," or do you have several things that you are doing first/second drafts of all at once while constantly revising other stories that are further along? I know there is no correct answer to this, but I keep waffling between a bunch of poo poo and sometimes wonder if I would not be better off to just focus on one thing at a time and see it through to completion.

For the story I mentioned above, which I submitted to Beneath Ceaseless Skies, I only was able to reach that point by setting very hard deadlines and just doing it even before I thought it was totally ready. I haven't set a deadline like that since, and I haven't "finished" a story since...

You're kind of answering your own question here.

I mean, "done" is a different term for different people. Some stories are never done for certain authors-- Tobias Wolff made changes to stories that he wrote decades ago for his 2005 prize-winning anthology. Whether you want to switch between stories or just focus on one is down to what keeps you consistently at the desk, but at some point you HAVE to send stuff out that's not perfect in your eyes. Perfect, for me, is down to knowing what you need to fix vs. looking for stuff that you think could be fixed. As soon as you've moved out of the former and are firmly in the latter, send it out. If all you get are rejections, then shop it some more or move on.

As for one project vs. many, my personal preference is to only switch around when I feel like I'm not making any progress, when I feel like taking a week to work on something different would cause more good than harm. Usually, I want to get something done in as few sessions as I can.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Write it, rewrite it, send it, forget it. I don't get people who rewrite the same story five times, it drives me up the loving wall.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

There's no real right answer but I think it's just knowing when something is done. I realised recently that I've been on the 'Final Draft' of something for a while but it feels like I'm just tinkering endlessly. Personally I things going on in different states, but that's because short stories generally lend themselves to that, and shorts help me take a break from editing the book I was working on.

I think that when you get to the tinkering stage then you just need to admit that it's as done as it's going to get. Anything else really just stems from a fear of getting your work rejected. At least that's how it is for me.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I'm trying to take all the good advice you guys gave and finish a story. 4,000 words in since I got the first answers :D

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Finding somewhere you want to submit to can often be encouraging. So, do that, then submit it. Maybe revisit it to brush it up if it didn't get accepted some time, maybe not.

You might hate it ravenkult but very rarely is something unsalvageable, though I know what you mean about people being too "precious" (is that right?) about it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I'm always going to submit to CW first, haha (I say 'haha' in this thread rather than 'lol') and then I will work my way down from there.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I'm always going to submit to CW first, haha (I say 'haha' in this thread rather than 'lol') and then I will work my way down from there.

The (sorta) nice thing about CW is they'll usually reject you in about 2 days so you don't have to wait a few weeks to submit it elsewhere!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Yeah, my ultimate goal as a writer is to get something published there, but it's a bonus that they do rejections so fast.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Yeah I'd like to get something published there too.

I guess just try and finish something and make it good. A large amount of writing out there is probably bad, so at least putting something together with competence and care is already a plus.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hey seb, are you guys making a thread for your bet between Muffin and SH or whatever, or do you not want to jinx it with goon project taint?

Yes, on 1 April. It will be open to anyone, 5k/month words with a toxx.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

For novels only or is short fiction permissible?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

For novels only or is short fiction permissible?

Not fussed. I'll have some kind of minimum word limit but if you want to toxx to a longer form bit of writing, that will be a place you can do it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

okay, i will probably take this angel opportunity to :toxx: once the thread is up

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Yeah, my ultimate goal as a writer is to get something published there, but it's a bonus that they do rejections so fast.

I like Apex a lot. I'm shortlisted there right now, but I'm not very optimistic.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

ravenkult posted:

I like Apex a lot. I'm shortlisted there right now, but I'm not very optimistic.

Good luck!

I've been looking at a lot of the no payment/royalty/token payment stuff at the moment to try and get something published in an attempt to build some publishing creds. I want to have some chops behind me if I do ever submit to CW or Beneath Ceaseless Skies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Bompacho posted:

Good luck!

I've been looking at a lot of the no payment/royalty/token payment stuff at the moment to try and get something published in an attempt to build some publishing creds. I want to have some chops behind me if I do ever submit to CW or Beneath Ceaseless Skies.

It's not really a viable strategy. Try some of the semi pro magazines instead, some of them have good cred. Most of the royalty/no pay markets are poo poo and all editors know this.

• Locked thread