Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Good luck with that, goon who has difficulty facing the internet

don't be a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If some twats just screaming abuse I probably will just play like poo poo out of spite. Sorry about your rank buddy, next time don't be a wanker.

nephyx
Jun 20, 2006

"Purges"
-Adolf Twerkel

dogstile posted:

If some twats just screaming abuse I probably will just play like poo poo out of spite. Sorry about your rank buddy, next time don't be a wanker.

Hey dude welcome to CS. There's no escape from the twerkel. Maybe we can lose a game of matchmaking together in the near future.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

dogstile posted:

you should play gimmick games instead, once I changed my name to Marshawn Lynch and just repeated "I'm only here so I won't get fined" about 3-4 times a minute, the rage. :allears:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Yeah, I was making fun of someone on the other team in warmup and people were laughing and having fun and this dude on my team is like "OH, LOOKS LIKE I HAVE TO MUTE MY TEAMMATE, GG" and proceeded to yell at everyone between rounds. Guys like that are asking to be proven right.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

My personal gimmick name is "Hitler's Second Bollock", as I tend to get shot a lot.

It's weird, people either take it very well, or start hurling abuse at me; no inbetween. Then again, people hurl abuse at me when I'm just DarkMalfunction. :emo:

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Yesterday I had a teammate saving an auto B doors when the bomb was planted A. I told him "I think you are going to die there" and he disagreed. Sure enough the bomb killed him and he got really mad at me.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Yesterday I had a teammate saving an auto B doors when the bomb was planted A. I told him "I think you are going to die there" and he disagreed. Sure enough the bomb killed him and he got really mad at me.

uhhhh no he was right, if he died it's because someone killed him and you probably should have shut up so that he could hear them coming

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah if you're dead just talk in text chat. If they can't glance at the text you shouldn't be distracting them.

My in-game name is "complete dogshit idiot holy gently caress" and I am proven right regularly.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

real dilemma posted:

uhhhh no he was right, if he died it's because someone killed him and you probably should have shut up so that he could hear them coming

he died cuz he was an idiot and the bomb went off

but I guess thats what I get for queuing with my Nova buddies.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
a bomb planted in A will not kill you at B doors though??

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's beyond the maximum range of the bomb.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Kumbamontu posted:

a bomb planted in A will not kill you at B doors though??

It will if someone jinxes it, though.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I just realized I edited out the part where I mentioned it was on nuke, where the bomb planted A will kill you B Doors.

That might explain the confusion

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
OH yeah I assumed D2

carry on

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I just realized I edited out the part where I mentioned it was on nuke, where the bomb planted A will kill you B Doors.

That might explain the confusion

I figured that's what you must have meant. For your information people will assume you're talking about D2 if you don't mention something map specific

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

I figured that's what you must have meant. For your information people will assume you're talking about D2 if you don't mention something map specific

Well D2 is also the only map with a callout "B doors" so yeah of course if you say "at B doors" everyone will think you're talking about D2.

nuke B site has 2 sets of doors so you have to be more specific. Anyway nuke is ridiculous and you die from pretty much everywhere when the bomb blows up at either site unless you're able to run really far away or to the back of the ramp room.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is B doors the hallway opposite toxic? I've never heard that callout on nuke.

e: Looks like yeah

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I had like 64 cents from selling trading cards so I bought NIP and fnatic stickers when they were on sale yesterday for 25. They're already more than twice that. This is some bitcoin level poo poo.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Wow, the Allu shots just disappearing into the void as seen from a live spectator in server perspective...

Wow.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Since fnatic couldn't cheat anymore on LAN, they hacked the server. :smug:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Xenaero posted:

Wow, the Allu shots just disappearing into the void as seen from a live spectator in server perspective...

Wow.

You lose a lot of frames in the stream so that would explain it and the dude in the server might just be misremembering to add to the drama for whatever reason. Unless you think there's some sort of anti-reg cheat or the server was total rear end (theres no way) I'm gonna say he missed.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Was 1.6 really pixel perfect at all times?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

no

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

You lose a lot of frames in the stream so that would explain it and the dude in the server might just be misremembering to add to the drama for whatever reason. Unless you think there's some sort of anti-reg cheat or the server was total rear end (theres no way) I'm gonna say he missed.

The gotv and steam playback shows the same thing, now someone is saying that in the game, when you crouch, the hitbox instantly moves downward, while the model has yet to complete the animation or in some frame-based cases, even start the animation.

Here are the closest frames of both cache and dust2 scenarios at the time of pulling the trigger.

If this is true, both those shots would miss while visually suggesting they would have connected. Learning a lot about hitboxes the past few weeks.........

More informative hitbox related fun times: http://imgur.com/a/uNOqg

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Ranked up again today :3:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqj1EMkf26k

This video purports to show allu hitting both shots, but in 1080p and at 0.25 Youtube speed, it is very clear that he misses the first shot fractionally and the second shot is taken while running.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Jeza posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqj1EMkf26k

This video purports to show allu hitting both shots, but in 1080p and at 0.25 Youtube speed, it is very clear that he misses the first shot fractionally and the second shot is taken while running.

That's a 16 tick GOTV demo, which is even worse than the twitch stream spectator stuff.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Without a POV demo, speculating on whether or not his shots should have registered is a waste of time.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

astr0man posted:

Without a POV demo, speculating on whether or not his shots should have registered is a waste of time.

Smol posted:

That's a 16 tick GOTV demo, which is even worse than the twitch stream spectator stuff.

My mistake. But I find it weird that this video is completely different from the videos posted by other people? Seems more like the stream was inaccurate than the GOTV demo, if the GOTV demo aligns with the facts.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
This is some JFK poo poo

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

The weird thing to me about that cache clip is that you can't even see a client side bullet impact (red box) anywhere.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Smol posted:

The weird thing to me about that cache clip is that you can't even see a client side bullet impact (red box) anywhere.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the GOTV demos. Two rounds after the weird miss, he makes another silent shot without any showimpact, but gets the kill. Seems to me like a GOTV hiccup of some kind (one of many). I think a POV demo will show him hitting the shot at corner of D2, but in reality he was getting hosed over because of crouching hitboxes. Second shot is just running. Guy standing on box cache shot is pretty difficult to explain though, but it's possible he's moving when he takes the shot. Even on 16 tick he's only motionless for the tiniest amount of time.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

GoldSource was pretty awful, any mod that had people moving at high speeds like TFC or Natural Selection would have the hitboxes lag behind the player

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy5ftpMTVSY

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 16, 2015

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jeza posted:

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the GOTV demos. Two rounds after the weird miss, he makes another silent shot without any showimpact, but gets the kill. Seems to me like a GOTV hiccup of some kind (one of many). I think a POV demo will show him hitting the shot at corner of D2, but in reality he was getting hosed over because of crouching hitboxes. Second shot is just running. Guy standing on box cache shot is pretty difficult to explain though, but it's possible he's moving when he takes the shot. Even on 16 tick he's only motionless for the tiniest amount of time.

The streams (taken from broadcasters in the 128 tick server) are probably far more accurate than the demos, barring POV demos. That's where those screenshots are from. Also, to dispel urban counter-strike legend, inaccuracy is tied directly to velocity. LOTS of weapons (including the AWP) don't require your velocity to be at 0 (a standstill) to be fully accurate on the first shot. So probably it was a directly result of how hosed up crouching is implemented coulda caused that. Wonder when the POV demos hit the floor, though.

Another fun little theory to kick around about the cache one is there was some packet hiccup and the firing never got sent.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
One of the issues with CS:GO is that you see a lot of shoddiness in the UI and you have to believe on some level that the same lack of testing and foresight is contained in their hit detection and gameplay code. Whenever I see a giant green "accept" button that is 4x too large, or I can't bring up my scoreboard without changing screen resolution I like to reflect on the idea that at least some portion of my plays didn't work because of the same type of poo poo code.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Don't buy with your mouse you idiots

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I've never seen the magnified accept button but I see "fake matches" after failed matchmaking attempts (say, 9/10 accept and it times out) where the timer doesn't beep and it just shows the number of people who accepted last time for about ten seconds before it realizes it's making poo poo up and goes to find me an actual game.

This happens way too drat often and it too makes me wonder if some of my inexplicable deaths would have turned out differently had the game not been having e-dementia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I have an attitude that I developed in Starcraft, and I know it works a little differently here, but here goes: I think it's one thing if you're a very high level player in a tournament, because then you have to question certain results for professional reasons. But as a regular player, as someone trying to improve, questioning the results of the game is a toxic attitude. You need to believe that the game is fair in order to get better, because unless you do so, you are creating the possibility that you will miss out on your own mistakes, and therefore miss opportunities to get better. I never assume that someone is hacking, or that I missed a shot because of lag(unless the game totally and very obviously desynced for a few seconds, which has happened once or twice), or that something is that nebulous flavor of bullshit that other people in my rank seem to believe exists - "gently caress that! I hit you!", that kind of thing. Because there is only one way to always be sure that you're going to improve and learn from your mistakes and that's to assume that all failures could have prevented by you.

• Locked thread