Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Sheep posted:

I can only speak from my own experience, but the only real differences between online and on campus sections tends to be the fact that you use Blackboard or whatever and don't have to go to lecture. If you can't learn the material on your own with the textbook and the online tools, then more often than not the fault lies with the student. There's not a lot of hand holding and it does require some self discipline to do a degree online but it's perfectly doable and there are plenty of reputable colleges with good online programs (Stanly, for example).

I've had some classes where the assigned textbooks were garbage and would be unpassable without the professor there to correct the contradictions or typos. Thats community college for you I guess.

edit - I know some people were waiting for the Windows Desired State Configuration sessions to go up. Here they are. Its not very good so far. Too much banter in between the good bits of information.

Sacred Cow fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Welp, company-wide meeting today at 2:30 PM. Not-boss forcing sick coworkers to come in today.

Sounds like layoffs are happening :sigh:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Don't despair! Although my BA is in History that didn't stop me from spending the last 15+ years in I.T. bobbing like a cork, my spirit being crushed over and over as my fortune waxed and waned.

JOIN US :black101:

Challenge accepted :black101:

@MJP: Thanks for the tip. There's a lot of other issues I won't go into here online related to college and such but checking out the local libraries is something I forgot to consider. Alright, now time to lurk on the Certs megathread too.

Sacred Cow posted:

I've had some classes where the assigned textbooks were garbage and would be unpassable without the professor there to correct the contradictions or typos. Thats community college for you I guess.

It varies as my CC is better than average but I just don't have any courses I can take there (did all 90% pre-reqs already).

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
There was a ticket in our queue yesterday about an org box not receiving emails from a distro group that was created for AF personnel at remote sites not connected to the Air Force network. These personnel would send emails using .com addresses to a .mil address, but none of the reports would go through. My shift lead and I spent a couple minutes looking at the problem and found out that the org box was set to reject all messages from non-authenticated addresses. We thought it might be an easy fix, but at the same time the whole network was set to prevent spam, and turning the reject feature off in Exchange would completely defeat that. Then we really started looking at the org box - it was nested and buried so deep that it would have taken a week going through dozens of other org boxes and several thousand accounts just to get the emails from being rejected. Or the remote site folks could log into OWA on their government-issued laptops using the built-in CAC readers to authenticate for the network. Or use those same laptops and log into VPN and open Outlook.

Not sure why people persist in trying to get around security features or demand we turn them off, then bitch when they get flooded with spam. I turned the ticket over to my shift lead and told him he could deal with the customer as I was not getting in the middle of that mess.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I feel bad for anyone managing spam appliances; it's a constant seesaw of "I'm not getting important emails turn the spam filter down!!! / I got a spam email turn the filter up!!!" and you never win, ever

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
You can self study for the A+ in about 35 hours from scratch if you're diligent, which is a golden ticket for getting your foot in the door almost anywhere thru temp agencies/recruiters. The people writing the A+ books (Myers, especially) know the test absurdly well and you could always finish an associates part time when you have an entry level job. It would probably suck to go for a bachelors after you start working, but I know some people here have done it

BS in psych here :downs: Love doing research and writing but gently caress that degree field. You make more with an A+ as an entry level tech than you would as a postdoc. Doesn't say much for our research institutions, but if the sweet nerd money is there someone has to take it, and demand is huge

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 16, 2015

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Wicaeed posted:

Welp, company-wide meeting today at 2:30 PM. Not-boss forcing sick coworkers to come in today.

Sounds like layoffs are happening :sigh:

Someone who's been deathly sick for a couple weeks came back with a spring in her step, I get whispered to for preparations to lock things down as she's getting poo poo canned first thing in the morning without notice; boy oh boy I sure love Mondays. :allears:

orange sky posted:

The market looks at maximizing short term returns and that's most of the times contrary to what is actually beneficial to the company.
Use lovely sales tactics to people who don't need your product which they want to cancel right away but aren't allowed, don't bother keeping them happy to renew contracts because you can just sell more, and then cut your staff and don't buy things because it hurts the bottom line.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

English major graduated in December 2009 :negative: Talk about a terrible time to graduate

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Roargasm posted:

You can self study for the A+ in about 35 hours from scratch if you're diligent, which is a golden ticket for getting your foot in the door almost anywhere thru temp agencies/recruiters. The people writing the A+ books (Myers, especially) know the test absurdly well and you could always finish an associates part time when you have an entry level job. It would probably suck to go for a bachelors after you start working, but I know some people here have done it

I checked out the questions for the the A+ and the related sites. Not bad at all compared to trying to game the SATs back then. Now time to schedule the exam :v:

Yeah, academia is just bad. I don't know how colleges can give out Ph.Ds with a straight face on and then hire all the adjuncts a few minutes later. A few years ago I went to huge research state uni and wow was every professor I met on campus so bitter.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Just got a raise for my 1099 position, but the new contract I've got to sign has a stipulation that there cannot be any additional rate increases for 2 years. How common is that?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

I checked out the questions for the the A+ and the related sites. Not bad at all compared to trying to game the SATs back then. Now time to schedule the exam :v:

Yeah, academia is just bad. I don't know how colleges can give out Ph.Ds with a straight face on and then hire all the adjuncts a few minutes later. A few years ago I went to huge research state uni and wow was every professor I met on campus so bitter.

If I can interject again, don't schedule the exam yet.

Go through the books first. Check out bits and pieces from each. Ask yourself if you get it, and if you do, start studying.

Schedule the exams when you're ready to take them. Deadlining it is fine but knowing the material down cold is absolutely necessary.

The A+ is full of useless garbage that is expected for the test. It's not like an MS exam, which usually has enough useless garbage to make you hate Microsoft forever, but you'll need to do some basic memorizing of stuff that Just Isn't Done Anymore.

If you're motivated to study - and more importantly, to learn - by deadlines, give yourself three months for each exam.

I'm the kind of person that learns well from studying - reading through a text and taking notes - and putting my hands on stuff in question. Prepare for the exam in the way you best study. There are videos galore out there - I honestly can't stand CBT Nuggets or any other kind of solely visual method, so do what works best for you.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've heard of it, your billable rate might be fixed at the time of contract on the proposal and they're passing the savings onto you.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

@MJP: Three months sounds fine for me. I have tried watching videos like Khan's Academy but just I feel like most of it is me trying to figure out if there's a transcript or a fast-forward button. Perhaps, it's too passive? For studying for multiple choice exams I just brute force practice questions and check which questions I had no idea or incorrect answers. Notes are nice for lectures but mostly I do them for review or study guides.

The only down side of reading textbooks is that it's a good way for me to take a nap while being awake :v:

However, if the midterm has something like short answer or essay segments then I go for the big picture concepts. I hated it when professors would say the exam will feature questions from Ch 1-5, Ch 20-35, and maybe that one topic which I talked about for fifteen minutes before class ended last week.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Super Slash posted:

Someone who's been deathly sick for a couple weeks came back with a spring in her step, I get whispered to for preparations to lock things down as she's getting poo poo canned first thing in the morning without notice; boy oh boy I sure love Mondays. :allears:

Yep, about 45 people got let go today (from an office of about 120 or so people).

Honestly from seeing the people that got let go (some seriously awesome people) and hearing about the severance package they got, I feel worse about not getting let go with them.

Our team got cut in half, plus our awesome boss got let go (he didn't hear about it until this morning).

The general feeling is that the upper management has committed a major gently caress-up by letting this much talent go.

If I see an influx of Chinese people in our office I know it's because they thought they were paying these people too much.

If that happens, I'm loving out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How the gently caress do you lose 45 out of 120 people and expect life to go on as normal?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Wicaeed posted:

Yep, about 45 people got let go today (from an office of about 120 or so people).

Honestly from seeing the people that got let go (some seriously awesome people) and hearing about the severance package they got, I feel worse about not getting let go with them.

Our team got cut in half, plus our awesome boss got let go (he didn't hear about it until this morning).

The general feeling is that the upper management has committed a major gently caress-up by letting this much talent go.

If I see an influx of Chinese people in our office I know it's because they thought they were paying these people too much.

If that happens, I'm loving out.

I'd be looking for an out anyway

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

How the gently caress do you lose 45 out of 120 people and expect life to go on as normal?

No poo poo, and we're like, three weeks away from a HUGE product launch, and our team (and the people that got let go) are completely integral to a smooth launch.

I don't know what the gently caress our management was thinking.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wicaeed posted:

I don't know what the gently caress our management was thinking.

money :colbert:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I bet most companies over 100 employees could lose a third and not actually hurt, if it was the right third.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

hihifellow posted:

I feel bad for anyone managing spam appliances; it's a constant seesaw of "I'm not getting important emails turn the spam filter down!!! / I got a spam email turn the filter up!!!" and you never win, ever

On site spam appliances are the worst loving pieces of poo poo ever.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Wicaeed posted:

What....the gently caress? Are you getting bought out?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

We went to on prem ironports instead of postini, it was a serious loving win. No one complains about false positives or excessive spam, and it cost about half as much per user.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

What....the gently caress? Are you getting bought out?

Nope, average workers paying the price for our business leaders being fucktarded.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

SaltLick posted:

I'd be looking for an out anyway
This.

No company survives 50% losses without major problem and you don't want to be the one working weekends trying to hold poo poo together for juuuust long enough for management to realize they've made a huge mistake.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Wicaeed posted:

Nope, average workers paying the price for our business leaders being fucktarded.

I bet your leadership end of year bonus was unaffected.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Alder posted:

@MJP: Three months sounds fine for me. I have tried watching videos like Khan's Academy but just I feel like most of it is me trying to figure out if there's a transcript or a fast-forward button. Perhaps, it's too passive? For studying for multiple choice exams I just brute force practice questions and check which questions I had no idea or incorrect answers. Notes are nice for lectures but mostly I do them for review or study guides.

The only down side of reading textbooks is that it's a good way for me to take a nap while being awake :v:

However, if the midterm has something like short answer or essay segments then I go for the big picture concepts. I hated it when professors would say the exam will feature questions from Ch 1-5, Ch 20-35, and maybe that one topic which I talked about for fifteen minutes before class ended last week.

All of your posts have basically complained about being inconvenienced. I hate to break it to you, dude, but life only gets more inconvenient as you go along. If you're upset about professors being specific about particular chapters, just wait until a future IT job requires you to bend over backwards to support a legacy application that the company or client is too cheap to update. The difference here is that you get fired if you handle it improperly.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

On the other hand, a hosed up campus kind of ruined my attempt at getting my bachelor's. That and having to re-do half the poo poo that I did at CC because the credits they said would transfer only transferred as electives. But seriously, gently caress any college that thinks it's okay to have a large campus and only have parking on the outside corners, where you might as well park off-campus and not pay the $250 a year for a permit.

Maybe it's just because I get paid immediately (well, 2 weeks later) for inconvenience at work, where as I have to wait four years to get paid for the inconvenience at school. I think that's called failure to delay gratification. Online classes are working much better for me, despite having to bust my rear end 70-80 hours a week while only taking a half load.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I posted this in the iPhone thread, but this is probably the better place for it:

Does anybody use an MDM in a corporate environment that they like? I only need about 30 device licenses, and Airwatch seemed like a good deal until I found out that the installation cost is 3 times the cost of the licenses. I just need a way to install certificates on devices for VPN and 802.1x, and enforce a passcode (and maybe a few other simple things). Since the iOS profile settings are standard, I assume any MDM can do these things. I'm hoping for something to host on prem that costs less than say 75$/device (ongoing support cost is fine).

It's not that I'm cheap, it's that Airwatch was in the no-brainer category, and assured me that yes, $50/device is the cost, you won't get any surprises, and then surprise you actually have to pay $250/device because we're dishonest. Now I have to shop around, and MDM is super boring and I don't give a poo poo about it and the Airwatch guy doesn't seem to get that that's why I'm annoyed.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Actually many years ago I used Barracuda spam firewalls and they were loving awesome. I absolutely adored those 2 motherfuckers. I'm sad to hear the state of "spam firewalls" has gotten so bad.

mewse
May 2, 2006

We put in a sonicwall spam appliance recently and it's pretty good.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Erwin posted:

I posted this in the iPhone thread, but this is probably the better place for it:

Does anybody use an MDM in a corporate environment that they like? I only need about 30 device licenses, and Airwatch seemed like a good deal until I found out that the installation cost is 3 times the cost of the licenses. I just need a way to install certificates on devices for VPN and 802.1x, and enforce a passcode (and maybe a few other simple things). Since the iOS profile settings are standard, I assume any MDM can do these things. I'm hoping for something to host on prem that costs less than say 75$/device (ongoing support cost is fine).

It's not that I'm cheap, it's that Airwatch was in the no-brainer category, and assured me that yes, $50/device is the cost, you won't get any surprises, and then surprise you actually have to pay $250/device because we're dishonest. Now I have to shop around, and MDM is super boring and I don't give a poo poo about it and the Airwatch guy doesn't seem to get that that's why I'm annoyed.

I'm paying like 1,300 a year for 40 devices. I'd make sure you go through a VAR.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

psydude posted:

All of your posts have basically complained about being inconvenienced. I hate to break it to you, dude, but life only gets more inconvenient as you go along. If you're upset about professors being specific about particular chapters, just wait until a future IT job requires you to bend over backwards to support a legacy application that the company or client is too cheap to update. The difference here is that you get fired if you handle it improperly.

Ok but will they at least be specific about which app for it? I hate vagueness and were you that professor back then? If so, I'm sorry if I've offended your sensibilities.

pyrofreak421
Nov 25, 2010
We use the Meraki MDM where I work and it's working fairly well for us now that apple finally put some work on the api. The best part is it's free and for managing 30 or so ipads it's fairly solid. The only thing you have to watch out for is you would need to get an apple configurator management profile on the devices and then you can manage everything without touching the device.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

pyrofreak421 posted:

We use the Meraki MDM where I work and it's working fairly well for us now that apple finally put some work on the api. The best part is it's free and for managing 30 or so ipads it's fairly solid. The only thing you have to watch out for is you would need to get an apple configurator management profile on the devices and then you can manage everything without touching the device.

We use a combo of this and apples DEP and it's working great for the entire school district, which probably has 500+ iPads

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
DEP has finally come to the UK a month ago, does anyone know if it applies to devices purchased before the go-live, or is it only from this point onwards? Meraki seems amazing, especially for free, but any MDM is a bit flawed when the user can just goto settings > apps > uninstall and remove it.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Ahdinko posted:

DEP has finally come to the UK a month ago, does anyone know if it applies to devices purchased before the go-live, or is it only from this point onwards? Meraki seems amazing, especially for free, but any MDM is a bit flawed when the user can just goto settings > apps > uninstall and remove it.

I can't say I've actually done it but they go over preventing users from removing profiles on this page here: https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2014/05/the-keys-to-apples-dep-with-systems-manager/

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Ok but will they at least be specific about which app for it? I hate vagueness and were you that professor back then? If so, I'm sorry if I've offended your sensibilities.

It depends. Vagueness happens at various degrees. Just today I made a change to how an application uses FTP. My boss said "keep an eye out." That's vague. You learn how to clarify things properly: "am I looking out for specific alerts, tickets, etc.?" to which I got the answers I needed.

As you go through your career, you'll probably start at some position where you're only allowed to do certain things or only trained on some things, depending on the company. Going upwards, if you specialize in more stuff, you'll probably be expected to take the vagueness and propose something or investigate it. Let's say that you've passed your A+ and gotten your first job as a phone support helpdesk monkey for Windows PCs only within a company. A user calls and says their computer doesn't work. This is where what you learn on and off the job and from studying comes into play. You can't just send the ticket to desktop support saying "user's computer doesn't work," because if the desktop support has half a spine they'll kick it back (with their manager's blessing) asking you to describe what doesn't work, or to try and fix it yourself first before escalating.

Does her desktop power on?
Does her monitor power on?
Are there any error messages? What exactly do they say?
Did the entire floor just have a power or network outage?

Any IT career involves working with some kind of vagueness. You learn how to ask leading questions - either of the user or manager - and when the time is right to ask the question vs. trying what you know in order to fix it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Alder posted:

I hate vagueness

MJP posted:

It depends

Not sure if it was intentional, but this response owns :respek:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Vagueness exists in all careers that require brain activity and won't be replaced by robots within 20 years, hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Vagueness exists in all careers that require brain activity and won't be replaced by robots within 20 years, hope this helps.

True, but then it's like a puzzle. Yeah, I loved Layton too.

If it were a problem as long as the client is able to answer my questions then I'm happy. I do receptionist work and I hate it when customers would call and then be undecided on which day they'd like to schedule or try to price check me despite having a site which listed all services in advance.