Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The manga is much better than the anime except for Phantom Blood.
It's a lot easier to gaze at Pillarbooty when you are the one who decides when it goes away, for example.

The anime is amazing, nonetheless.

Part 4 is the equal best part and while I understand wanting to jump in and carry on where the highly faithful anime leaves off, I think it's worth it to read everything else up to it first too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Just found out he's voiced by the same guy that did Souther, and in the previous OVA by the now dead Kenji Utsumi (Raoh).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Aurain posted:

It's a lot easier to gaze at Pillarbooty when you are the one who decides when it goes away, for example.

Part 4 is the equal best part and while I understand wanting to jump in and carry on where the highly faithful anime leaves off, I think it's worth it to read everything else up to it first too.

You can always pause.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

... Man, I didn't think of that. I'm not a smart man.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't read that much of the manga, but I've looked up specific panels/moments for reference and honestly I'd be down with calling the anime definitive, if only because I really like the music and the series' absolutely ridiculous approach to colour. I mean, I generally prefer manga to anime because I read faster than anime runs, but if you look at like the end of part 2 it really just comes across as way more hype in the anime.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The only thing I really miss from the Part 1 manga that didn't make it into the anime were the iron rings that Tarkus trained with, I understand why they were cut out but it was really badass.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I miss Speedwagon trying to walk on water like everyone else and failing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder if Jesus was a Ripple User.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Aurain posted:

Why would you ever want Pillarbooty to go away? :swoon:

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder if Jesus was a Ripple User.

Well Jesus' real name was Joshua bar-Joseph, so he was a Jojo at the very least.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I assume his Stand would be Soundgarden. :v:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You mean In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How could you make this joke and not pick Jesus Christ Pose?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im on episode 5 of Jojo season 1

this is some crazy poo poo

but its good

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eonwe posted:

I'm half-tempted to link to that manga page of someone going "Some weird poo poo is happening".

Speaking of Phantom Blood, Jonathan ran away from Tarkus, so I guess running away is the Joestar Family Secret Technique. Joseph just made it cool.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 15, 2015

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

did anything ever come of that test dub done months back?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Davinci posted:

Well Jesus' real name was Joshua bar-Joseph, so he was a Jojo at the very least.

holy poo poo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Eonwe posted:

but its good

welcome to the entire series so far. at least all 8 parts and 25 years of it that exist.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Yeah I thought King James's translation was a lot better than Duwang's.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

minoru suzuki posted:

did anything ever come of that test dub done months back?
Things have been quiet, but recently Viz was licensed to release "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation" merchandise, pretty much confirming that it's being localized.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I know this is kinda late in the game but I didn't see if anyone said anything about this....but is Joseph in the beginning of Stardust Crusaders wearing the Red Stone of Aja?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Aja was a different shape and had a different casing. It's probably a stretch to say that is the Aja.

e: The Part 2 anime has it coloured light green in the airport scene right at the end too.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 16, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Speaking of Season 1 character design here's a picture they did of Jonathan and young Joseph in Stardust Crusaders style, without the weird Ben Stiller faces. https://twitter.com/amiamihobbynews/status/571225036411031552

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 16, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Watching the Alessi fight again, I just noticed that kid Jotaro pulls up his sleeve so he can do his finger point. Jotaro's such a dork in how he goes all out in trying to look badass, I love it. :allears:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im a good way into part 2 and it has only gotten better

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Eonwe posted:

im a good way into part 2 and it has only gotten better

it's only uphill from phantom blood

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Especially if you stick to only watching the anime because, fingers crossed, we'll get to Vento Aureo and it'll get an actually legible (as legible as CrunchyRoll can be) translation.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Aurain posted:

Especially if you stick to only watching the anime because, fingers crossed, we'll get to Vento Aureo and it'll get an actually legible (as legible as CrunchyRoll can be) translation.

I seriously don't get why NOBODY has retranslated part 5. They literally make poo poo up, it's the worst.

Edit: now that I actually google around it looks like there's one or two in-progress retranslations

Syenite fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 16, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Shukaro posted:

I seriously don't get why NOBODY has retranslated part 5. They literally make poo poo up, it's the worst.

i mentioned it before but someone is in the process right now. i guess it wasn't much of a priority before since what we have now is technically okay compared to other stuff that's been in worse shape, but at least it should be available at SOME point.

e: beaten

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress, Banjo Ginga is laying this accent thick.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

gently caress, Banjo Ginga is laying this accent thick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zXzzSxlDoo

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I hate that this video cuts off at the end.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

I hate that this video cuts off at the end.

It doesn't, it's a glitch with youtube. Try refreshing the video.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh god, I'm so loving excited for next week.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

For non-manga-readers' reference, all those little comments about "the fight that even the milquetoast OVA got right"?

Yeah, it was this one.

E: Also that MISTE JOSTURR video segued into the full version of Sono Chi No Sadame; man, I love being reminded how hype that song is. :allears:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 17, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh god, I'm so loving excited for next week.

Seriously. It's the high water mark for a little bit, even though literally every fight between this and the end is real good.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

wrong thread gently caress

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 17, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Somebody asked me what JoJo was yesterday and I told them it's about a bunch of glamourous guys who kill some vampires, then they kill some aztecs in the 1930's, and then they go globetrotting in the 1980's. I totally hosed up, thinking about it.

I should have just said "There's a bit where the good guys play poker TO THE DEATH."

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Shukaro posted:

Edit: now that I actually google around it looks like there's one or two in-progress retranslations

it's some lazy assholes on /a/ who disappeared after getting halfway done and haven't updated in twelve million billion years and a half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Aurain posted:

Somebody asked me what JoJo was yesterday and I told them it's about a bunch of glamourous guys who kill some vampires, then they kill some aztecs in the 1930's, and then they go globetrotting in the 1980's. I totally hosed up, thinking about it.

I should have just said "There's a bit where the good guys play poker TO THE DEATH."

You described it better than I did when my friend asked me what it was. "It's about manly men who do fabulous poses and punch vampires with the power of the sun."

• Locked thread