Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I'm getting kinda bored with my wild mage and he's kinda redundant with Edwin on main casting duty.

How easy is it to edit him into an Archer? Will my game explode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
Remove his innate abiltiies, put his current hitpoints at 1, his max hitpoints at 0, his THAC0 at 20, and put his levels at 0/0/0. Change his class to Ranger and give him the Archer kit. That should be enough - I'm not sure if I'm missing any detail.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nycticeius posted:

Remove his innate abiltiies, put his current hitpoints at 1, his max hitpoints at 0, his THAC0 at 20, and put his levels at 0/0/0. Change his class to Ranger and give him the Archer kit. That should be enough - I'm not sure if I'm missing any detail.

I think you need to give him some xp also, either in the character editor or fia console commands.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Skwirl posted:

I think you need to give him some xp also, either in the character editor or fia console commands.

Yeah, I didn't mention that part because I'd figure he'd want to more or less the same level as before. If he doesn't touch the character's XP, when he loads the edited save the game should treat it like a brand new character ready to level up with that XP amount.

Edit: Oh, right, you should remove your weapon proficiencies too, though as a wild mage I'm sure you don't have that many.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Nycticeius posted:

Strip him first, then remove all effect flags. Look up the ranger starting saves and set his saves to that. That should cover it.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

fong posted:

Tbh I almost never play through TOB. The combat becomes so loving samey I find it really boring. Its like a bunch of copy pasted mage fights strung together and just becomes a slog.

BG1->end of SOA owns

Are you playing with Ascension because my favorite fight in all of the BG games is probably Ascension Yaga-Shura. Fighting an extremely powerful giant with hordes of his soldiers assaulting you at the same time just feels pretty epic. Actually I kinda think all the Ascension fights, except Gromnir which feels just like a generic trash mob fight, are really interesting and fun.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Does Ascension work with Enhanced Edition yet?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I want to say that at one point it worked if you installed it as part of some omnibus mod pack and deselected every option but it. At least, some people said that worked. No idea if it's true or not

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ah well, at the rate I'm replaying BG1, I should get to TOB content in about 2073, so that's fine.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Thanks guys, I figured there'd be some sorta process for it. I'll give it a try

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Just refresh my memory -- I *do* effectively need to take Yoshimo on the storyline quest after chapter 3, right, just because I need a slot open to swap in Imoen otherwise someone ends up getting left behind? I've been doing side quests with Gish PC, Keldorn, Anomen, Jan, Aerie, Minsc and I really really like that party overall. If I were going to drop one for Yoshimo, I'd probably drop Aerie just because her HP are Soooo low but then that leaves me with only one cleric. Guess I need to drop Jan =(

edit: also wtf do I do with all these extra quest items and keys and poo poo I want to keep but don't want to cart around forever

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 16, 2015

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

edit: also wtf do I do with all these extra quest items and keys and poo poo I want to keep but don't want to cart around forever

Most receptacles permanently hold loot, with the exceptions being the ones in areas that change due to plot triggers. Sticking stuff in barrels in the Copper Coronet is pretty safe.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm really trouncing stuff in bg1 with my evil party of Halfling Barb (who I somehow rolled a legit 97 with), Dorn, Montaron, Vicky, Xzar, Edwin. Evil npcs are just so damned powerful, and I don't even have Korgan yet.

It's an ironman so I'm a bit afraid I'm going to get lazy and wipe for stupid reasons. The halfling Barb has insanely good saves thanks to his 19 con from the book of con + halfling + claw of kazgaroth, though. His hps aren't as great as they could be since I'm not lowering difficulty for level ups and I've had a few bad rolls upon level up. Dorn especially has done really lovely every time he levels up. I think he's level 6 right now with like barely 30 hit points. The halfling has I think 59 right now and is the same level. Playing on core rules so that should be plenty enough for most encounters in bg1. Bg2 I'll get the defender of easthaven to mitigate my lower hp totals and hopefully that will be enough to keep me alive until barb resist/hardiness start to become available.

I'm also soon to go fight Drizzt after I finish cloakwood. I shouldn't wipe though as I plan to just kite him with boots of speed.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I've been playing IWD:EE for the past couple of weeks after beating BG1-2-TOB for the first time (which was incredible) and I've been really impressed by the game. My party consists of a half-elf stalker, half-orc fighter/cleric multi, human thief, elven archer, human totemic druid, and a human mage. I kind of gimped my thief and mage, and having only two frontline fighters has somewhat evened out how quickly my archer destroys everything. What I've enjoyed the most about the game, though, is the quality of the writing. Everything is a lot more muted and understated than BG2/TOB. I'm fighting through the towers in the Severed Hand and uncovering the story of what happened there (I still haven't figured out why all the elves are in purgatory, though) has been really engrossing.

Anyway, it's a great game so far.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So I decided to play Baldur's Gate again, Trilogy with the original boxset not EE.

Anyway, I remember from a long time ago I got a weird bug where NPC banters would just stop, for example I got the Nether scroll for Edwin but he would never actually read it.
I didn't mod the game back then, but I remember playing around with the AI scripts so since then I was afraid touching giving anyone AI scripts because I thought that would stop all NPC banter.

I'd like to ask if anyone knows what might be behind this bug even though I doubt I will see it again since now I have every single patch installed with all manner of mods and fixes and this time I have Shadowkeeper to fix things.

Bholder fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 16, 2015

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Zilkin posted:

Are you playing with Ascension because my favorite fight in all of the BG games is probably Ascension Yaga-Shura. Fighting an extremely powerful giant with hordes of his soldiers assaulting you at the same time just feels pretty epic. Actually I kinda think all the Ascension fights, except Gromnir which feels just like a generic trash mob fight, are really interesting and fun.

I dont mind some of the boss fights, its the in between bits I dont like slogging through.

I think I would prefer the bad guys in TOB to be lined up like the Elite Four in pokemon and just fight through them, maybe with a side room where you can kill Saemon if you want.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Just refresh my memory -- I *do* effectively need to take Yoshimo on the storyline quest after chapter 3, right, just because I need a slot open to swap in Imoen otherwise someone ends up getting left behind? I've been doing side quests with Gish PC, Keldorn, Anomen, Jan, Aerie, Minsc and I really really like that party overall. If I were going to drop one for Yoshimo, I'd probably drop Aerie just because her HP are Soooo low but then that leaves me with only one cleric. Guess I need to drop Jan =(

Your party has four brawlers and two support characters. If I were power-gaming and was pondering who to drop for Yoshimo I'd probably choose Minsc. I'd also replace Yoshimo with Imoen after Spellhold so that you have another artillery/support mage. Finally, you have Keldorn, which means virtually any composition will work because the Inquisitor's thermonuclear Dispel Magic breaks a great deal of the game.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 16, 2015

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Though I can never bring myself to take Keldorn because you ruin his marriage if you do and I am basically a big softy :/

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

He was doing a pretty good job of ruining it himself, also i'm pretty sure you can help fix it, though i accidentally went down the path that ends less happily last time i played.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zephro posted:

Though I can never bring myself to take Keldorn because you ruin his marriage if you do and I am basically a big softy :/

I gave him a day. I thought that was fair.

I think I'm not so much trying to max power as max comedy. Hence Minsc and Jan. Maybe I can give Keldorn a longer breather, that actually makes sense -- I was mostly just bringing him along because I want to unleash Carsomyr late game.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 16, 2015

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

I gave him a day. I thought that was fair.

I think I'm not so much trying to max power as max comedy. Hence Minsc and Jan. Maybe I can give Keldorn a longer breather, that actually makes sense -- I was mostly just bringing him along because I want to unleash Carsomyr late game.

Max comedy requires Korgan, Valygar, and Mazzy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Took out Drizzt/Cloakwood real easy with my Halfling Barb. Apparently BGee adds a few tricks to Drizzt. He cast dispel magic right at the start of the fight and he'll also use charm animal on any animal summons you use. He will cast a heal or two as well. I still took him on without too much trouble thanks to summons and tons of potions.

My little halfling is now wielding Frostbrand +3 which I guess gives 50% fire resist now too though I don't remember that being the case in the past. So that + ring of fire resist + helm of defense = over 100% fire resistance, plus all my ridiculous saves for being a shorty barbarian and I'm pretty fuckin' hard to kill. Ac is only -4 even with Drizzt's armor which is the only real weakness ot the character.

The other +3 scimitar I can't use yet since it requires good alignment but the Demonknight drops a helm of opposite alignment so once I take him out I'll be able to use both of Drizzt's scimitars. THe other one is a good offhand weapon since it's +3 and gives +2ac.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Frostbrand has always given +50% fire resist, EE is just the first time anyone has bothered to tell you its there in the description.

Anyway, Drizzt is a chump, a level 1 Thief straight out of Candlekeep can solo him fairly effortlessly providing you take an Oil of Speed from Imoen or Montaron. Would need lots of save-scumming to get repeated critical backstabs though, so doing it that early in an Ironman is realistically out of the question.

This is true even with full SCS, which aside from giving him some healing potions (which he can't use because he doesn't get enhanced by the smarter general AI component) doesn't touch him at all.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kenny Logins posted:

Same, except Icewind Dale 2 EE. I've been playing the GOG version a bit lately and for all the people who like to sperg and micromanage their party it's perfect. Plus: 3rd edition D&D mmm boy.

I just beat IWD2 for the first time (despite playing and loving the game when it came out like 10 years or however long ago) wioth the GoG edition. It was playable but the resolution being so bad sucked and not being able to alt-tab was also inconvenient at best. My party (Fighter/Rogue, Bard, Cleric x2, Sorcerer x2) was insanely good I want to try an evil playthrough with a 4 person party or something less nuts, but I would want to wait for an EE.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bort Bortles posted:

I just beat IWD2 for the first time (despite playing and loving the game when it came out like 10 years or however long ago) wioth the GoG edition. It was playable but the resolution being so bad sucked and not being able to alt-tab was also inconvenient at best. My party (Fighter/Rogue, Bard, Cleric x2, Sorcerer x2) was insanely good I want to try an evil playthrough with a 4 person party or something less nuts, but I would want to wait for an EE.
With the G3 widescreen/HD mod it's not too bad-- though granted I also jack the framerate up to 60fps and don't mind the offcentre UI or zoomed-out view.

I really like the system and it definitely has a more muted feel than BG2, but still some great incidental writing. From what I've heard, the system is so different from BG1+2 and IWD2 that it basically has no hope for an EE so I'm just going to keep on truckin'.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

Unfortunately an EE of IWD2 isn't confirmed. The devs said it's basically too different from BG1/2/IWD1 to just use the same method they used for those games. It's not out of the question but it's not guaranteed either.

Incidentially I'e been thinking of starting a new IWD2 playthrough while waiting for PoE. Not really sure what party I'll run though.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Insane that Pillars of Eternity is almost out. I've got so much faith in it. I can't see it not being a classic.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Foxhound posted:

Unfortunately an EE of IWD2 isn't confirmed. The devs said it's basically too different from BG1/2/IWD1 to just use the same method they used for those games. It's not out of the question but it's not guaranteed either.

Incidentially I'e been thinking of starting a new IWD2 playthrough while waiting for PoE. Not really sure what party I'll run though.

Is there any official word on an EE of Planescape: Torment? Because that's the one that deserves it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BadAstronaut posted:

Insane that Pillars of Eternity is almost out. I've got so much faith in it. I can't see it not being a classic.

It's Obsidian so I'm sure it will have great writing and be a lot of fun I just hope it's not buggy like some of their stuff can be. But it will be a classic even if it loads with a few bugs.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Is there any official word on an EE of Planescape: Torment? Because that's the one that deserves it.

Not as far as I know, but I haven't really kept up with the news on that. Tides of Numenera is scheduled for later in 2015 last I heard though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Foxhound posted:

Not as far as I know, but I haven't really kept up with the news on that. Tides of Numenera is scheduled for later in 2015 last I heard though.

And Pillars of Eternity in LESS THAT TWO WEEKS :swoon:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I'm half tempted to take the 27th off just to play it since it will unlock in the evening of the 26th here.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
My backlog of RPG's and turn based strategy games is enormous that I shouldn't buy it. But I will.

I have never even beaten SoA before, which I feel almost daily shame over. Would it be possible to move save files from one computer to another via a usb or emailed file? I have an old netbook that should run the EEs and with how much I travel for work, might be a great way to finish my current three concurrent playthroughs.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Sure, just be aware that each save file is actually a small save folder. They should be in your /save or /mpsave folder in the main game install directory, depending on whether you're moving a single or multiplayer save.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Foxhound posted:

I've started with my tanks (shield dwarven fighter/barbarian and tempus axe-cleric :black101: ) and two sorcerors (human evocation blaster and aasimar face) rounding out with a single-level drow rogue/otherwise-conjurer and human healer lathander cleric primed for a level in paladin to wield a holy avenger later on. So far, it's pretty fun but not too complicated.

Same logic applies to PT:EE as it does to IWD2:EE. They probably invested a lot into the front-end of BG1:EE and had that work pay off for BG2:EE and IWD1 but seemingly only just barely. They didn't even have the gumption to put money-generating IAP new characters into IWD1 for the mobile ports.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I wonder how a sorc/bard would fare. Might get underleveled but what if it's backed by a regular mage?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Foxhound posted:

I wonder how a sorc/bard would fare. Might get underleveled but what if it's backed by a regular mage?

In IWD2 a straight bard is fantastic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ginette Reno posted:

It's Obsidian so I'm sure it will have great writing and be a lot of fun I just hope it's not buggy like some of their stuff can be. But it will be a classic even if it loads with a few bugs.

The last two games Obsidian made were pretty close to bug free, and this one is coming out significantly later than they first estimated, so I don't think they'rthey're rushing it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ginette Reno posted:

The other +3 scimitar I can't use yet since it requires good alignment but the Demonknight drops a helm of opposite alignment so once I take him out I'll be able to use both of Drizzt's scimitars. THe other one is a good offhand weapon since it's +3 and gives +2ac.

Twinkle is a +5. Or it was, have they changed it?

And I'm looking forward to Pillars a lot. And that new sword coast game too, to a degree - it'll be nice to go back to the Forgotten Realms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Twinkle is a +5. Or it was, have they changed it?

And I'm looking forward to Pillars a lot. And that new sword coast game too, to a degree - it'll be nice to go back to the Forgotten Realms.

Pretty sure in Bgee they're both +3s. I thought one of them used to be +5 too.

Can't check though don't have the game in front of me right now.