Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tomn posted:

So here's a question - as everybody in this thread knows, the Axis powers were doomed from the start when they decided to pit their strength against the combined industry of more or less the rest of the world. But did any of the Axis powers ever consider surrendering early? Mussolini or the smaller Axis powers like Romania for instance - did they ever look at what Hitler was doing at any point before their total collapse and think "All right, hang on, this is too rich for my blood, I gotta get off this horse somehow"?

(Japan and Germany I figured don't need much explanation because hosed-up inter-service rivalry and strategic decision-making on Japan's part, and Hitler on Germany's part.)

Horthy tried his damndest to get out and the Germans invaded his country and put the Arrow Cross maniacs in charge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Panzerfaust

Romania switched sides, but that didn't help them a whole hell of a lot in the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Michael%27s_Coup

The Finns bowed out and got their own harsh peace, and even fought against their previous German co-belligerents

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapland_War

There were plenty of other incidents of Axis personnel and organizations that gave up before the final German surrender. Would you count the Italians getting rid of Mussolini and then fighting on the side of the Allies? The desperate Slovak Uprising? The ROA's vain attempt to redeem themselves by fighting against the Germans at the last second? The uprising of the Georgian Legion on Texel? That's a very interesting and broad question.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

There's widespread shock at GHQ when the artillery returns arrive. They've been gobbling up ammunition like it's going out of fashion. Sir Ian Hamilton departs for the Dardanelles without much of an idea what he's supposed to be doing there, or much of a staff to help him plan it; and one whole belt of mines is swept! There are nine more, of course, but Rome wasn't built in a day, old boy.

BulletHole
Aug 20, 2003
"I own this fat j-bag, oh yes i do." Sehnsucht
Can anyone recommend an economic or industrial history like Wages of Destruction for any of the other major combatants in WWII [especially US or USSR]? Especially looking for something available electronically; going on vacation and want to bring some reading along.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
wasnt there even a battle where regular Wehrmacht fought alongside Allied troops against some renegade SS dudes?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Somewhere in Austria in the last days of the war (or when it was already over), to free french hostages from a castle.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kanine posted:

wasnt there even a battle where regular Wehrmacht fought alongside Allied troops against some renegade SS dudes?

The Battle for Castle Itter, fought after Hitler's suicide but before the formal Nazi surrender.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

A review of the lessons to be learned from Neuve Chapelle; meanwhile, the French report that they've cracked the German line, and Herbert Sulzbach arrives at his rest billet, deeply relieved to be out of earshot of the guns. Also, another great advert for Pianola pianos, which I'm coming to enjoy almost as much as the ridiculous claims of patent medicine.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Goddamn do I want to see a movie about the Battle for Castle Itter.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I just want to read stuff about Centurion tank.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

http://www.sniperflashcards.com/index.php

This whole page is a mess. He seems to think that sergeants who are only meant to be in charge of immediate vicinity tactics being unable to plan a full city invasion is a sign of the US military having weak enlisted men, and that the sniper and self-propelled AA guns are the most powerful weapons in an urban battlefield.

One of his pages also point blank says that the US Army doesn't have any self-propelled mortars.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Are we peer-reviewing peoples' rambling geocities sites now? :shrug:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Koesj posted:

Are we peer-reviewing peoples' rambling geocities sites now? :shrug:

This guy even made an Android app for the Ukrainian military to fight the Russians and rebels.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I like this Fanfic he wrote where Sarah Palin shoots down Russian helicopters

http://www.sniperflashcards.com/welcome_to_hell.php#tactics_quiz

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I like this Fanfic he wrote where Sarah Palin shoots down Russian helicopters

http://www.sniperflashcards.com/welcome_to_hell.php#tactics_quiz

Oh my. That's awesome. I have so many responses that I want to make to that. Like, "How do you have a thousand $40 SLAP rounds but only two M-16s?" Or "Why does your squad placement matter when you clearly stated that the enemy has plenty of artillery and knows your position?"

Mostly though, I know the answer: You position the "Wolverines" next to the school so that you can bang Sarah's daughter behind the gym.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Crazy Pants Fan Fic posted:

“Bill was a brave man. He never flinched in the face of machine gun fire. He held the sights of his Dragon missile steady on the Russian tank until the very moment when he was hit by enemy fire. I saw with my own eyes Bill single-handedly destroy a BMP on 6th Avenue and then, later, another BMP in the city park where he died.”

Yep, sounds like something you'd hear at funeral.

I loved the part about Russian mothers coming there to look for their sons' corpses in burned out wrecks. Very touching.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
A few pages late, but I don't think the US ever intended to build massive battleships. Their designs were always limited by the size of the locks in the Panama canal.

Here's the Missouri moving through in 1945.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The Montanas would have been too wide for the Canal and I don't think you can see they never intended to build them. They were fully authorized by Congress and they would have built them had war experience not shown that the Navy just didn't need a 28kt superbattleship.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The Montanas would have been too wide for the Canal and I don't think you can see they never intended to build them. They were fully authorized by Congress and they would have built them had war experience not shown that the Navy just didn't need a 28kt superbattleship.

The Montanas were also planned around a new set of locks for the Panama Canal that were abandoned when the war broken out.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

jng2058 posted:

With your biggest ally down and out, you're standing alone against seemingly invincible military power that keeps doing poo poo no one thinks is possible, and lots of people are calling for a negotiated peace, Winston saying "gently caress that, we're still fighting" really was pretty courageous.

This is probably going to veer into Black Gay HItler territory but assuming Britain magically negotiates a peace with Germany in 1940, what does that mean for the USSR? I mean I feel that the US would have still entered the war due to Pearl Habour. However would the loss of Allied land lease have done much to hurt the Soviet Union?:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think the general consensus is that it would have hurt badly although they still had a decent chance.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SkySteak posted:

This is probably going to veer into Black Gay HItler territory but assuming Britain magically negotiates a peace with Germany in 1940, what does that mean for the USSR? I mean I feel that the US would have still entered the war due to Pearl Habour. However would the loss of Allied land lease have done much to hurt the Soviet Union?:

Stalin's strategy relied on Germany being busy in the west until 1942 or so at which point Red Army would be ready to kick some rear end. In this changed situation we don't know what Uncle Joe would have done, but he most likely wouldn't have trusted Germany so much that Barbarossa would have come as a surprise when it started in 15 May 1941 (no Operation Marita in this alt reality). The biggest "what if" comes from Soviets possibly being better prepared at the beginning, especially in the air. Also if Black Gay Zhukov had wrested power from Stalin in a Kremlin cage match so there was someone sane in charge of the operations.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
The problem (or one of them) with all the "Germany beats the Soviet Union" speculations is what does a German victory look like? Panzers drive all the way to the Pacific? Stalin is overthrown and replaced by a pro-Nazi government, which signs a peace treaty? Germany stops somewhere in the middle and holds that line, indefinately? It's really hard to come up with a reasonable result that Germany likes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

At that point you might not care, it was a gamble. If Germany had reached the Arkhangelsk-Astrakhan line then Soviet Union's economy would have been pretty hosed so even though the war in the east would have continued likely forever, there certainly would have been no Red Army taking the Reichstag in 1945. Not that they had any chance in doing so, but hey the previous land campaigns had been decisively successful so what could go wrong???

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

BurningStone posted:

The problem (or one of them) with all the "Germany beats the Soviet Union" speculations is what does a German victory look like? Panzers drive all the way to the Pacific? Stalin is overthrown and replaced by a pro-Nazi government, which signs a peace treaty? Germany stops somewhere in the middle and holds that line, indefinately? It's really hard to come up with a reasonable result that Germany likes.

Germany was never aiming for a complete takeover. Generalplan Ost had the Germans control European Russia (I don't remember the exact border) while all the Slavs they haven't killed by then would be deported to Siberia.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Behold the horrors of the Ragamuffin War!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just got back from the ren fest. Unfortunately the landsknechts were very hard to photograph due to the lighting (they had heavy tree cover, which made for patchy light and dark areas with no consistency), but I did get some shots of one particularly glorious codpiece.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Any tips for reading On War? It's my understanding that the text's conclusions are often delivered in a ... roundabout way.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BurningStone posted:

START> negotiated peace > inevitable betrayal > return to START.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

hard counter posted:

Any tips for reading On War? It's my understanding that the text's conclusions are often delivered in a ... roundabout way.

you say that as if it has firm conclusions to give. It is delivered in the form of a dialectic, so in many ways it is up to the reader to interpret.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

hard counter posted:

I haven't finished it yet, but I would track down a good translation (assuming you're reading it in English). That's what has helped me the most. I made one previous attempt at On War and couldn't get past the introduction because of the ancient translation. The edition edited and translated by Paret and Howard seems to be pretty good in my opinion. Much easier to read than one of the other translations from the late nineteenth or early twentieth centuries.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Yesterday: Investigating the state of the Ottoman defences at the Dardanelles, and a look at the now-contested claim that the Ottoman forts were running seriously low on ammunition. Meanwhile, the stress of command has left Admiral Carden unable to continue, which provides a useful excuse to have a look at the Buggins' turn principle. It'll become very important later. Also, if you suffer from chilblains, then boy, do I have the patent medicine ad for you!

Today: With Admiral de Roebeck now holding the reins, let's see what he's going to do in a couple of days time. General Joffre finally takes the bloody, beaten carcass of First Champagne out back to drown it in the pond, and in London, somebody's noticed that there are just a few minor issues with the preparations for using the Army at Gallipoli. Oh, and the Lusitania's sailing soon.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was wondering if the whole "they'll welcome us with open arms" argument for attacking a nation is generally a delusion. I somehow found myself skimming the Wikipedia page on the Iraq-Iran war and it seemed like both sides thought this was true. Actually, that would have been pretty funny if it was. The only times I think that has even remotely been a thing is if you're attacking a nation occupied by another one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The only exception I can think of is the 'Glorious Revolution' of 1688.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was wondering if the whole "they'll welcome us with open arms" argument for attacking a nation is generally a delusion. I somehow found myself skimming the Wikipedia page on the Iraq-Iran war and it seemed like both sides thought this was true. Actually, that would have been pretty funny if it was. The only times I think that has even remotely been a thing is if you're attacking a nation occupied by another one.

Crimea? In general there's always at least minorities whose sympathies can be relied on, like Kurds in Iraq, and empires used to be far more multicultural than contemporary nation states are. In the past civilians also had two strategies for survival: a) burn your crops and go into hiding or b) greet the invader with a banquet in the hopes that they'll do less looting that way.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Off the top of my head, some Ukrainians and Russians were happy with the German invasion, at least until the Nazis started doing what they do. Grenadians weren't too upset about the U.S. invasion of 1983, and Italians did actually great the Americans as liberators towards the end of the war.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Patrick Spens posted:

Off the top of my head, some Ukrainians and Russians were happy with the German invasion, at least until the Nazis started doing what they do. Grenadians weren't too upset about the U.S. invasion of 1983, and Italians did actually great the Americans as liberators towards the end of the war.

Western Ukrainians who had a pretty big independence boner that got their poo poo kicked in during the Russian Civil War by both the Soviets and the Poles were pretty happy to see a force show up that defeated them both.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Patrick Spens posted:

Italians did actually great the Americans as liberators towards the end of the war.

I feel like I remember reading somewhere about how Italian soldiers would go out of their way to surrender to Americans because life in an allied POW camp was better than life in the Italian army. Or something like that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, Mussolini was extremely unpopular during the war and not only did nobody cry when he got removed from leadership, but his corpse was displayed in public in Milan for the purpose of ridicule and public abuse until he got tossed in an unmarked grave. Italy in general had a really lovely time during the war and was deep in the poo poo by 1942, so the Americans kicking the megalomaniac out wasn't seen as a very bad thing.

False Flag Rape
Aug 22, 2013

by Lowtax
Also the US army was filled with fuckin' wops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Italy in general had a really lovely time during war.

Could probably just shorten it to that and it would hold true.

• Locked thread