Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Huh, nice little touch from HM1, one of the visits to the bar after a level, beard says "I feel like something terrible's about to happen. I haven't felt this way since San Francisco"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

gently caress trophy 2k15 posted:

We love Katamari was a far more robust sequel than HM2 though.

Fair enough, and there were no missteps in We Love Katamari, everything that was added worked well with the whole and it was a solid, cohesive experience. There's plenty of poo poo in Hotline Miami 2 that just doesn't quite click, and lots of other poo poo that was annoying in the first game that's still annoying in the sequel. But otherwise they were both sequels that were a direct response to the audience reactions to the first game, and there are plenty of other examples in pretty much every medium of that kind of meta-commentary.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Stop comparing sequels to other sequels. It's just sad.

Yes, let's not discuss the nature of sequels in a thread about a game that deals with the nature of sequels. In fact let's not discuss the game at all, let's just toss out single-sentence replies like "This game sucks" or "This game is great!" or "Stop posting about things I don't want to talk about, this thread is about me now".

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Huh, nice little touch from HM1, one of the visits to the bar after a level, beard says "I feel like something terrible's about to happen. I haven't felt this way since San Francisco"

Woah, very nice touch. Any news on the small update?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

turboraton posted:

Woah, very nice touch. Any news on the small update?

They give patch notes in the steam forum- I'll pull them now.

edit: weird, no notes. The forums are of course discussing the possibility of a secret ending. Time to S-rank all the scenes on both difficulties!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Secret ending: The same as usual, but on the last scene when the nuke hits, the game flashes to white, formats your PC and HLM2 removes itself from your STEAM games library.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

King Vidiot posted:

Yes, let's not discuss the nature of sequels in a thread about a game that deals with the nature of sequels. In fact let's not discuss the game at all, let's just toss out single-sentence replies like "This game sucks" or "This game is great!" or "Stop posting about things I don't want to talk about, this thread is about me now".

Shut the gently caress up. There's no point in comparing Hotline Miami to Katamari because they're completely different games.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

does anyone have the gif of the second or third son level starting out with dual machine guns and just spinning like a madman and killing almost everyone?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Shut the gently caress up. There's no point in comparing Hotline Miami to Katamari because they're completely different games.

do you like conglomerating other people

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Discendo Vox posted:

Tony also uses giant spiked knuckles, as per the comics.
This is badass in and of itself, but I like to think just wearing Tony makes you the strongest motherfucker in the world. I love that Tony's portion in the final scene of Act 3 just throws a shitload of dudes with melee weapons at you. Tony for Best Mask. This would lead to my downfall in HM2 as I wondered why I was suddenly unable to punch dogs.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Moltrey posted:

This is badass in and of itself, but I like to think just wearing Tony makes you the strongest motherfucker in the world.

Tip: Knock down an enemy as Evan and keep smacking him until he dies. Do it twice and watch what happens. It's amazing.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Songbearer posted:

Tip: Knock down an enemy as Evan and keep smacking him until he dies. Do it twice and watch what happens. It's amazing.

I had to do this on Evan's first mission on hard mode. There are two guards that just reset to their initial position that I couldn't bait.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Max posted:

I had to do this on Evan's first mission on hard mode. There are two guards that just reset to their initial position that I couldn't bait.

I figured out on accident that its possible to whip a melee weapon at one of em (at least the right side one) from down the stairs without aggroing them first, which switches them into random wander mode (I assume you mean the two guys on the left/right facing each other in the center hall)

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Songbearer posted:

I tried this and it never kicked in for me. They die in three hits, yeah, but do I keep hitting them beyond that?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Basically the hit after the pause. If there's blood, you know they're dead.

I like how he rolls his shirt sleeves up. He means business

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Do I have to do it one after the other, or do I get some leeway?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I believe that if you wait too long he starts to calm down, so ASAP is preferable.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
What does that do, anyway? I always forgot it was a thing when I was playing as him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Songbearer posted:

Ahaha The loving coat throw and the rolled up sleeves to show he's loving ripped
I like that Evan has to take public transportation while everyone else has a car. Richter too. Take a bus to your den of murder.

Also (Pardo spoliers) Did anyone find the guy tied up in Pardo's trunk their first time? I imagine that would help you connect the dots a lot faster. Pardo is somehow the creepiest protagonist in this game

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Full Battle Rattle posted:

What does that do, anyway? I always forgot it was a thing when I was playing as him.

As Moltrey says, he basically goes all "gently caress being nice", throws his coat across the room, rolls his sleeves up and reveals his huge muscles. From a gameplay standpoint, it allows him to use guns and lethal melee weapons like knives without penalty, but it earns much fewer points than his nonlethal fighting style. Still a very nice way to get through a level if it's too frustrating.

Moltrey posted:

Also (Pardo spoliers) Did anyone find the guy tied up in Pardo's trunk their first time? I imagine that would help you connect the dots a lot faster. Pardo is somehow the creepiest protagonist in this game

I actually didn't figure out any of Pardo's backstory throughout my first runthrough of the game. In hindsight it's incredibly obvious, but given how many people freely commit murder in Hotline Miami's world I never thought the "Cop is a killer" trope was actually being played.

His dialogue is brilliant in hindsight. Whenever he shows up to a crime scene he's always questioning why the murderer isn't being reported about more, he tries to convince Evan to write about his murderer persona instead of Jacket, and he gets pissed off that the Fans have gotten so much attention. My favourite part is the ending scene where he's barricaded himself in the house terrified that someone's going to come for him, even though literally nobody cares. I didn't care much for his character to begin with but I think he's fantastic now.

Still don't forgive him for his boat level though.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 16, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There are at least some reports of an enemy in hard mode Subway that forces the writer to go berserk- I need to see it first, but if that's the case it's pretty disappointing.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I've admittedly not caught up with the thread so as to avoid spoilers, but does anyone know if there's an ETA for a fix with the steam version? Enemies bug out constantly and the controls don't even work more often than not. For example, pressing LMB will either do nothing at all or act as if the button is being held down.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Discendo Vox posted:

There are at least some reports of an enemy in hard mode Subway that forces the writer to go berserk- I need to see it first, but if that's the case it's pretty disappointing.

I feel like once you see the enemy in question you will understand why the writer must channel his inner animal (mask) to survive.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Two quick questions: I played HLM1 on my PS4 and was planning on getting this one for that too, but is the level editor gonna be available on all platforms?

Also, how much do you think it would cost to hire someone to follow me around with a big speaker playing Roller Mobster on a loop for the rest of me life?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Geight posted:

I feel like once you see the enemy in question you will understand why the writer must channel his inner animal (mask) to survive.

Yeah, no, I know what it is. It's just very disappointing the game forces you into rage mode to get past them- more stupid romhacky design.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Songbearer posted:

As Moltrey says, he basically goes all "gently caress being nice", throws his coat across the room, rolls his sleeves up and reveals his huge muscles. From a gameplay standpoint, it allows him to use guns and lethal melee weapons like knives without penalty, but it earns much fewer points than his nonlethal fighting style. Still a very nice way to get through a level if it's too frustrating.

I actually didn't figure out any of Pardo's backstory throughout my first runthrough of the game. In hindsight it's incredibly obvious, but given how many people freely commit murder in Hotline Miami's world I never thought the "Cop is a killer" trope was actually being played.

His dialogue is brilliant in hindsight. Whenever he shows up to a crime scene he's always questioning why the murderer isn't being reported about more, he tries to convince Evan to write about his murderer persona instead of Jacket, and he gets pissed off that the Fans have gotten so much attention. My favourite part is the ending scene where he's barricaded himself in the house terrified that someone's going to come for him, even though literally nobody cares. I didn't care much for his character to begin with but I think he's fantastic now.

Still don't forgive him for his boat level though.

Yeah, his character is really well done. Replaying his scenes adds so much. He's deluded with this idea of being A COP WHO DOESN'T PLAY BY THE RULES and wanting to be "famous" that he doesn't even know he commits murders. He gets so angry that the Fans are taking away his spotlight, he's paranoid and thinks that Evan ratted him out in his final level and sends him to a dangerous mob hideout hoping he'll end up dead. The puppet he "sees" when he returns to the crime scene honestly made me jump a little. I'm still not entirely sure what exactly that is, the mask he wears when he kidnaps people and murders them? Pardo is a pretty interesting and hosed up dude and despite everyone else in this game, I dislike him the most. Probably because of that boat level. Even Richard doesn't get that guy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Yeah, his character is really well done. Replaying his scenes adds so much. He's deluded with this idea of being A COP WHO DOESN'T PLAY BY THE RULES and wanting to be "famous" that he doesn't even know he commits murders. He gets so angry that the Fans are taking away his spotlight, he's paranoid and thinks that Evan ratted him out in his final level and sends him to a dangerous mob hideout hoping he'll end up dead. The puppet he "sees" when he returns to the crime scene honestly made me jump a little. I'm still not entirely sure what exactly that is, the mask he wears when he kidnaps people and murders them? Pardo is a pretty interesting and hosed up dude and despite everyone else in this game, I dislike him the most. Probably because of that boat level. Even Richard doesn't get that guy.

The problem is that this is mostly speculation based on a set of incoherent setpieces. I can totally buy that Pardo is the murderer, and I can get his motivations, kind of. The puppet metaphor and scene makes no sense, though. It doesn't help that we don't get a date on the entire "caught" sequence, so we have no ability to really tell when it happens in the storyline.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 16, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

The problem is that this is mostly speculation based on a set of incoherent setpieces. I can totally buy that Pardo is the murderer, and I can get his motivations, kind of. The puppet metaphor and scene makes no sense, though. It doesn't help that we don't get a date on the entire "caught" sequence, so we have no ability to really tell when it happens in the storyline.

Pardo sees the puppet as something other than himself, and the crumbling is supposed to be his realization that there's no puppet. The puppet basically is the Miami Mutilator

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Geight posted:

Trying to attack him without being in rage mode literally crashed my game four times

This game is so buggy

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
New Game+ Question: Does the scene where Richard talks to Beard in Hawaii only happen if you play through NG+ in one go, or will levels chosen from the select screen also count as NG+?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Songbearer posted:

New Game+ Question: Does the scene where Richard talks to Beard in Hawaii only happen if you play through NG+ in one go, or will levels chosen from the select screen also count as NG+?

Which Hawaii scene is this? I haven't gotten all the way through yet.

quote:

Yeah, no, I know what it is. It's just very disappointing the game forces you into rage mode to get past them- more stupid romhacky design.

It's hard mode, you big manbaby.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Songbearer posted:

There are more changes in hard than the intro?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Songbearer posted:

There needs to be a DLC pack that replaces Jake's snake masks with a set of fedoras instead.
M' assacre.

Help Im Alive posted:

Trying to attack him without being in rage mode literally crashed my game four times

This game is so buggy

The first time the game crashed for me, I was swinging for him with a bat. It crashed mid-swing and actually looked cool as all hell.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

RBA Starblade posted:

There are more changes in hard than the intro?

Or so I've heard. It might be after Hawaii, but I'm sure I saw an event like that mentioned.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Songbearer posted:

I believe that if you wait too long he starts to calm down, so ASAP is preferable.

Well, poo poo, that's something to try out when I get back home.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Discendo Vox posted:

It's probably not true, but maybe the puppet is supposed to look like the REAL Manny Pardo.

Imagine seeing this guy in your window at night.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

does anyone have the gif of the second or third son level starting out with dual machine guns and just spinning like a madman and killing almost everyone?

http://fat.gfycat.com/HospitableFluidIcelandichorse.webm

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I don't get why the whole Pardo thing with the puppet is so confusing to so many people. I guess you can think of it as a weird reference to Pinocchio, how he eventually becomes real. The Miami Mutilator is a construct Pardo made, and it was given life by his actions. He's 'created' it, and it now lives. I don't think it's supposed to be the literal image of the Miami Mutilator, just what it is to Pardo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's a puppet so you won't go "oh hey it's another person, I wonder who he is, he's not popped up in the plot yet". You will instead be aware that something fucky is going on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ddraig posted:

I don't get why the whole Pardo thing with the puppet is so confusing to so many people. I guess you can think of it as a weird reference to Pinocchio, how he eventually becomes real. The Miami Mutilator is a construct Pardo made, and it was given life by his actions. He's 'created' it, and it now lives. I don't think it's supposed to be the literal image of the Miami Mutilator, just what it is to Pardo

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

It's a puppet so you won't go "oh hey it's another person, I wonder who he is, he's not popped up in the plot yet". You will instead be aware that something fucky is going on.

Because it and the Actor's part each operate using a completely disjointed set of symbols and explanations from all the other stories and each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, for those that have not seen Evan without his jacket, people are not exaggerating when they say he's buff as gently caress:

Who knew the jacket was so slimming! :v:

• Locked thread