Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Man that's a punchable face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
instead of skittles that guy should eat my turds

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

ElwoodCuse posted:

What's the in-joke behind telling Adam Schefter "my wife left me"? When I google it I just get a ton of tweets where people do it.

Are they all from the same time frame? I know the Solid Verbal podcast will occasionally have people tweet some sports personality something random.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Coco13 posted:

Are they all from the same time frame? I know the Solid Verbal podcast will occasionally have people tweet some sports personality something random.

No, it's from the past year if not longer

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's been a bad few months for broadcasters and prostitutes:

quote:

Police said Sapp met two women in the lobby of the hotel before they went back up to his hotel room. They started discussing money, a physical altercation occurred and the argument spilled into the hallway around 2:30 a.m.

Sapp was transported to Phoenix police headquarters where he was questioned and admitted his involvement in the act of prostitution. He denied assaulting the females.

Officials found minor injuries consistent with a struggle on both women.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Will Troy Aikman be next? :gay:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Bill Simmons is the loving worst and it doesn't even involve the Patriots edition: he's whining on Twitter about the Kings missing the playoffs despite seeing his teams win three Stanley Cups since that laughable column where he gave up on hockey forever because the Bruins choked away a series to Montreal a while back.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

ElwoodCuse posted:

Bill Simmons is the loving worst and it doesn't even involve the Patriots edition: he's whining on Twitter about the Kings missing the playoffs despite seeing his teams win three Stanley Cups since that laughable column where he gave up on hockey forever because the Bruins choked away a series to Montreal a while back.

But how will he explain it to his kids???!!!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The woman Greg Hardy beat up and threatened to kill refused to testify against him, but the Charlotte Observer trolled her Facebook page and published info on her shopping and "jet-setting" over the last few months. I don't really know the news value of that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I suppose to show that the reason she didn't show up was because he paid her not to, but yeah it's pretty scuzzy

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

I suppose to show that the reason she didn't show up was because he paid her not to, but yeah it's pretty scuzzy

Yeah, but that was already reported.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yahoo deleted a Ball Don't Lie column because Dan Gilbert didn't like it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well i mean he did leave that LeBron letter on the Cavs' website until about a week before he announced his return to Cleveland, so yeah, this is pretty tame for Gilbert given his history.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Cleveland ownership is a pretty huge shitshow.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well i mean he did leave that LeBron letter on the Cavs' website until about a week before he announced his return to Cleveland, so yeah, this is pretty tame for Gilbert given his history.

Not really. It was still hosted on the server, but they didn't link to it directly or anything. They just never bothered to take the page down completely. I'm pretty sure you had to know and manually type in the URL of the page to access it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Outstanding article from Vice Sports on the India/Pakistan cricket rivalry

https://sports.vice.com/article/nuclear-weapons-cricket-and-diplomacy-a-history-of-the-india-pakistan-rivalry/?utm_vicesportstwitter

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gilbert is a dipshit that treats his employees like poo poo.

I say this as a really enthusiastic Cavs fan.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Death Threats in Sports.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A fantastic series of 12 columns about Ali in the twilight of his career

quote:

Muhammad Ali, at age 35, exerts the kind of power perhaps no other black man has ever had in this country. He tells the white majority things it doesn't like to hear. Just as Martin Luther King did. But there is a difference in results. Martin Luther King, who preached peace, scared whitey. He scared whitey away. Muhammad Ali, who practices violence, scares whitey, too, but whitey always comes back because Ali is safe. Ali is an athlete, a champion.

As he gets older, the tendency is to think we have heard everything he has to say—once, twice, a thousand times. But on those rare occasions when his creative juices rouse themselves, the product is tougher, more biting than anything that has come before it.

It is as if he is trying to drive off the people who see him as an entertainer first and a boxer second.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Scorching takes from Randy Galloway:

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/randy-galloway/article14441561.html

quote:

We all know the current Josh Hamilton situation, but all you had to do was watch a dazed and confused Josh over the last two seasons with the Angels and realize the cocaine train would be rolling back down the track at some point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Simmons teed off on ESPN again

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
As far as I know they put a lot of money into it (it's got a decent sized office in LA Live, I've heard the writers do relatively well, and the studio seems pretty nice), link it on the front page of ESPN.com, and have even given it multiple hours of occasionally awkward TV. I guess I'm not sure what else he wants.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 16, 2015

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This is by far my biggest fear

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

As far as I know they put a lot of money into it (it's got a decent sized office in LA Live, I've heard the writers do relatively well, and the studio seems pretty nice), link it on the front page of ESPN.com, and have even given it multiple hours of occasionally awkward TV. I guess I'm not sure what else he wants.

Deadspin was right when they mentioned it's basically negotiating. Ask for ten times what you actually want so you'll be "satisfied" when you only get five times what you want.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

They talk about him basically being a "free agent" soon but I'm not really sure where else he'd go to get the same exposure. I really don't see Fox Sports or any of the CNN/Bleacher Report places being able to match what he's getting.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He'd probably do something on his own with some private investors. Similar to what Nate Silver was planning to do before he went with ESPN.

Despite the animosity, they both still make a good match. He's a huge part of their online presence and ESPN lets him do poo poo like 30 for 30 and get great guests for his podcast. Probably all just bullshit negotiating at this point.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

I think he's just posturing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Simmons also has personal beefs with ESPN/ individuals. It doesn't seem out of character at all for him to try and fight those personal fights with making up problems with Grantland in general.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Simmons also claimed he'd put up the final installment of his yearly NBA Trade Value column last week. It turned out to be a thousand-word piece just on Kyrie Irving, who he ranked #10 with all of the requisite pop culture references that we know and love, and he then double super promised everyone that the top nine would be written about sometime this week.

It was really bad, even for Bill Simmons.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

What Simmons said is good for him and everyone at Grantland, you guys are unreal sometimes

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

straight up brolic posted:

What Simmons said is good for him

well no poo poo

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

straight up brolic posted:

What Simmons said is good for him and everyone at Grantland, you guys are unreal sometimes

I am shocked to learn that media personality posturing during a negotiation said something he thinks would benefit him. Shocked.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
*cranks Rovell Device to maximum power*

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/577658387841884160

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

In fairness Rovell's android brain is not affected by concussions.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

That's literally the kind of thing Rovell is paid to report. It's really not that bad and it colors the story a little bit. Schefter just tweeted something similar so people know exactly what he's walking away from. It doesn't make him an unfeeling robot--although there are plenty of other Rovell examples that make him out to be one.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's literally the kind of thing Rovell is paid to report. It's really not that bad and it colors the story a little bit. Schefter just tweeted something similar so people know exactly what he's walking away from. It doesn't make him an unfeeling robot--although there are plenty of other Rovell examples that make him out to be one.

I think it's worse that he's paid to report that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

This is a better example of "what the hell is wrong with Darren Rovell"

Darren Rovell @darrenrovell · 3h 3 hours ago

Mo'ne Davis' biography hits stores today. At 208 pages, there's a page for every 24 days of her life.

Also it's almost time for his annual "I didn't even fill out a bracket :smug:" back-patting

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Also it's almost time for his annual "I didn't even fill out a bracket :smug:" back-patting

Just did a couple days ago

Darren Rovell ✔ @darrenrovell
Realize it’s not what majority want to do, but it’s my 8th year of not filling out a bracket. Don’t think I will ever go back.
1:27 PM - 15 Mar 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
why the gently caress do y'all pay attention to darren rovell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

MourningView posted:

why the gently caress do y'all pay attention to darren rovell

follow @Rovellreplies too, he gets some excellent trolls beyond just "you suck, rear end in a top hat"