Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

du -hast posted:

that is a great sig u got there bobbily

:rms2:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

ooh i see it again and am similarly stunned by it's wisdom

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nintendo Kid posted:

what extensions and scripts do you have installed

i had saplusplus still installed but disabled. i have uninstalled it since and we will see

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Panty Saluter posted:

and now it just double opened tabs :wtc:

I had this when my mx520 was dying, maybe your mouse is hosed??

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ahmeni posted:

I had this when my mx520 was dying, maybe your mouse is hosed??

I hope not its not that old!! I dont get double clicks in anything else though

Now that you mention it i had to shut down the Logitech software to update something, maybe related? Either computer will be rebooted and logi software should load again

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yo is chromecast any good for like business use, powerpoints etc

was going to pick up a longass hdmi cable for our office but was thinking of getting chromecast instead, but not if its gonna be too complicated for my 50 yr old boss to use

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

was going to pick up a longass hdmi cable for our office but was thinking of getting chromecast instead, but not if its gonna be too complicated for my 50 yr old boss to use

chomecast only works if you use google docs, and hyou shouldn't because it's awful

if you use good computers, an apple tv (now only $70) will be pretty easy 'cause you can just enable airplay to it from the menu bar

an hdmi cable will be the easiest if your idiot boss cheaped out and didn't buy macs though

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yea we dont have office computers, everyone brings in their laptops and some of us are PC plebs so :/

surprised there isnt just like a straight up wireless hdmi thing

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

yea we dont have office computers, everyone brings in their laptops and some of us are PC plebs so :/

there are WiDi receivers that spit out HDMI. they seem to mostly get crappy reviews though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdTr3ho0X-A

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I have a server that turned over for patches this month and came up with a bootmgr missing error. vm on a raid array so its not disk corruption frmo hardware. I assume one of the users did something stupid that wouldn't take effect until reboot. all the data appears to still be on the drive but the startrep tool on the install media isn't fixing it. is there a different tool I should be trying so I don't have to go to tape to get a restore for the stupid thing?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

install linux

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

okay now my computer has digital aids what do I do

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

okay now my computer has digital aids what do I do

are they hearing aids? lol

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
delted my profiel in firefox, rolled new with only adblock edge/ghostery/greasemonkey and no dice. but the options in firefox were funky (showing up blank sometimes) so maybe time for a new install

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

are they hearing aids? lol

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

I have a server that turned over for patches this month and came up with a bootmgr missing error. vm on a raid array so its not disk corruption frmo hardware. I assume one of the users did something stupid that wouldn't take effect until reboot. all the data appears to still be on the drive but the startrep tool on the install media isn't fixing it. is there a different tool I should be trying so I don't have to go to tape to get a restore for the stupid thing?

this happens when the wrong hd or partition is set as active.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Maximum Leader posted:

this happens when the wrong hd or partition is set as active.

nope, right partition was set active. ended up having to rebuild the mbr and bootloader with bootrec, trashed those and nothing else. something terrible is probably happening but that system is getting retired this month so: YOLO

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It's garbage for business

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

nope, right partition was set active. ended up having to rebuild the mbr and bootloader with bootrec, trashed those and nothing else. something terrible is probably happening but that system is getting retired this month so: YOLO

reality: system lives on in a critical role for 10 years

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
asus montior. Thought fosho I had fried it when I hit the breakers today to replace a light switch.

When there was enough black on the screen it would cut out. No menu or anything. Weird right? like hitting enter in full screen dosbox until the blue box scrolls off the screen and then it would cut out. I tried resetting it, and that didn't help. Seeing that an RMA was going to be $25 on a $100 monitor I said gently caress it and tried more poo poo. As a last resort I went through and changed a whole bunch of settings and it started working. By bunch of settings, if I didn't know what it was I changed it.

I went back through them one at a time and I could not get it to do it again.

Any idea what the gently caress was happening and whether or not I should rma it on the off chance it just randomly started working?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

it was overloading the screen blackness unit when you tried to display too much black

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

bobbilljim posted:

it was overloading the screen blackness unit when you tried to display too much black

Most unfortunate with a BBC ( big black cock fetish).

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
How do I fork a github repo to a private github?
Pretty much want to fork github.com/blah -> github.mywork.com/blah

There's no button on the web ui to let me do this!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Peanut and the Gang posted:

How do I fork a github repo to a private github?
Pretty much want to fork github.com/blah -> github.mywork.com/blah

There's no button on the web ui to let me do this!

clone it locally then create a new repo in your work's github organization

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

microsoft has a wireless display dongle thing, it works natively in windows 8.1, they may have something you can download for windows 7. the one time i've seen it it didn't work very well. if you go the atv route, airparrot will let you airplay to an atv from windows. not free, though.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Cocoa Crispies posted:

clone it locally then create a new repo in your work's github organization

Thanks, I had no clue where to start. I did some "git remote seturl origin" command too and then it worked.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Peanut and the Gang posted:

Thanks, I had no clue where to start. I did some "git remote seturl origin" command too and then it worked.

i usually keep multiple remotes around, one for pulling from upstream, one for the private copy to push to

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

does anyone make forums software that allows users to self-create subforums? like a mix of wikipedia and reddit, you could type /forum/thing_i_want_to_make_a_subforum_for and it would create it for the user.

The closest thing I can find conceptually is Reddit, as they do the /r/forumname thing but they dont let the users make them. The reddit software is available but apparently a mess for anyone not already a reddit sysadmin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im sure it is quite easy to set up some kind of script to auto-convert downloaded videos to an itunes friendly format for home sharing to watch on the ATV but what about a way to auto add them to itunes library?
this is on windows

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

im sure it is quite easy to set up some kind of script to auto-convert downloaded videos to an itunes friendly format for home sharing to watch on the ATV but what about a way to auto add them to itunes library?
this is on windows

seems like it

this watches a folder, automatically runs handbrake on anything
http://lifehacker.com/5596384/dropfolders-watches-folders-and-converts-media-with-handbrake

and ituens has a folder that automatically adds to library
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12496?locale=en_NZ&viewlocale=en_US

so presumably, poo poo once finished downloading would essentially end up on apple tv once encoded, which isn;t too shabbily slow on this pc

the ONLY thing i guess its not goig to be able to do is
a) create a quick and nasty quick encode
b) after thats finished go and do a slower encode and replace the file

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Panty Saluter posted:

and now it just double opened tabs :wtc:

hey it turns out greasemonkey 3.0 which just recently came out has a bug that causes this in a buncha scripts, so if you install the greasemonkey 3.1 beta poo poo gets fixed

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

this is on windows

you could get serviio which will transcode on the fly depending on teh device connected. Idk if that works with apple crap though??

if the downloading machine is a mac it would be a pretty trivial python or bash script

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
unfortch im going apple tv so its kinda important that happens

if one day i upgrade ipad i would always just be able to use airvideo + airplay to achieve transcoded on fly but welp this will do plus quality will be supreme

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

seems like it

this watches a folder, automatically runs handbrake on anything
http://lifehacker.com/5596384/dropfolders-watches-folders-and-converts-media-with-handbrake

and ituens has a folder that automatically adds to library
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12496?locale=en_NZ&viewlocale=en_US

so presumably, poo poo once finished downloading would essentially end up on apple tv once encoded, which isn;t too shabbily slow on this pc

the ONLY thing i guess its not goig to be able to do is
a) create a quick and nasty quick encode
b) after thats finished go and do a slower encode and replace the file

i'm bored atm and i have no idea how to script this on windows for you but i can show you how to do it with sh/bash variables (lol install sua)

but for a quick encode with ffmpeg/x264/libfdk_aac i guess do this

ffmpeg -i "dirtypirate.mkv" -c:v libx264 -c:a libfdk_aac -vbr 4 -afterburner 1 -vf hqdn3d=1.75,scale=-1:720 -preset veryfast -crf 22 "blockypirate.mp4"

that will spit out a 720p copy of whatever input as a mp4 file. it does slight noise reduction to increase compressibility and actually goes a step up in quality from x264's default crf (23) but otherwise just uses x264's veryfast preset to make it fast

this shouldn't be eye bleedingly bad but for a better looking encode there's a lot of things that could potentially slow it down from 300+ fps to 4 fps so i'm not going to decide that for you

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
ps thats assuming its already not h264. you can greatly simplify things if they're already h264 but not aac audio by doing a stream copy

ex. ffmpeg -i "piratefile.mkv" -c:v copy -c:a libfdk_aac -vbr 5 -afterburner 1 "piratefile.mp4"

and you should be good to go. if the audio is also aac just replace all the poo poo after -c:a with copy

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

does anyone make forums software that allows users to self-create subforums? like a mix of wikipedia and reddit, you could type /forum/thing_i_want_to_make_a_subforum_for and it would create it for the user.

The closest thing I can find conceptually is Reddit, as they do the /r/forumname thing but they dont let the users make them. The reddit software is available but apparently a mess for anyone not already a reddit sysadmin

uh, anyone can make a subreddit

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
or are you looking for something like this -

butts.com/sizes

then users create

butts.com/sizes/big
butts.com/sizes/small
butts.com/sizes/badonkadonk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

ps thats assuming its already not h264. you can greatly simplify things if they're already h264 but not aac audio by doing a stream copy

ex. ffmpeg -i "piratefile.mkv" -c:v copy -c:a libfdk_aac -vbr 5 -afterburner 1 "piratefile.mp4"

and you should be good to go. if the audio is also aac just replace all the poo poo after -c:a with copy

thanks for that

as it turns out though its a bust idea

went and got the appletv3
but it only shows the apple logo on the tv and then the tv says no signal
tried all sorts of things. works on another TV (the one i use as a monitor) so its kinda pointless
the main thing i tried was cycling screen resolutions coz its an older 720p tv i was given. it just doesnt work. searched for the problem and lots of other people have had it but apple is pretty good at ignoring problems, most peoplea re just like "ive tried everything, no help"

might see if i can return it. i could blame the lovely samsung tv my dad gave me

but i'll blame apple. fuckin crapple

the few minutes i spent on it on this tv though.. the GUI isnt up to the usual apple standard. its a bit basic. regret it already, even for the low price it was

it worked though, home sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sweet
returned for full refund

thank christ