Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

Reverse Centaur posted:

Good choice. There are four people at my work who have a G Watch R now after seeing mine, despite not being available in Canada yet.

Yep, nobody really has a bad word to say about it, best screen out of all of them, best battery life etc. It's a real shame the moto has the flat tire or I would of got one a while ago. Glad I waited for something that looks more watchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

bunnielab posted:

Manuals are annoying and make the worst parts of driving, crowded parking lots full of pedestrians and stop and go traffic, even more painful. I guess if you have a performance vehicle and awesome roads to drive on they would be fun.

You have to use both your feet when driving? Ugh, you might as well walk!

As for purchases, I finally gave in and picked up a copy of:

Because I think my truck needs something other than Viking Metal cds in it. gently caress the haters.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wrong post

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

kannonfodder posted:

You have to use both your feet when driving? Ugh, you might as well walk!

Sure thing guy. I own both and absolutely find my automatic a ton less annoying. What exactly is the benefit of a manual in a normal car? Maybe a little better gas milage I guess.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

bunnielab posted:

Sure thing guy. I own both and absolutely find my automatic a ton less annoying. What exactly is the benefit of a manual in a normal car? Maybe a little better gas milage I guess.

Not any more. Modern automatics rate a few mpg higher than manuals.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

bunnielab posted:

More efficient, more control, usually cheaper insurance, less maintenance, usually cheaper to replace parts, more fun, you actually know how to drive to get behind the wheel of a manual...

List can go on, but this really isn't the thread to argue about transmission types.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

bunnielab posted:

Manuals are annoying and make the worst parts of driving, crowded parking lots full of pedestrians and stop and go traffic, even more painful. I guess if you have a performance vehicle and awesome roads to drive on they would be fun.

Incorrect. Manual transmissions allow for even the shittiest of cars to be fun to drive. I love my 02 Accord 4 cylinder.

I wager that you MAY be a better driver in the end as well. Being more connected to the car, focused on the nuances rather than putting it into easy mode and mashing the accelerator until you see red lights flashing in front of you.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's a testament to how lazy drivers in the US are that manual transmissions are 'effort' and 'annoyance' rather than fun as gently caress. Banging up and down gears is a pleasure even in the crappiest of cars...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yes, I sure do want to be more connected to my lovely little car, oh what pleasure it is to race through DC traffic block by block.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

88h88 posted:

It's a testament to how lazy drivers in the US are that manual transmissions are 'effort' and 'annoyance' rather than fun as gently caress. Banging up and down gears is a pleasure even in the crappiest of cars...

You have no idea what traffic is like in cities do you?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I live in a city and manuals are not that bad unless you just want to zone out and listen to your lovely NPR podcast

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

SaltLick posted:

I live in a city and manuals are not that bad unless you just want to zone out and listen to your lovely NPR podcast

Yep, more or less. Although I prefer Old radio shows or Prairie Home Companion for ultimate soothingness.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
If you can afford it and want to retain some degree of control over your gear selection, get yourself something with a Golf/Audi DSG transmission. It's automatic, but all the cars come with sequential paddle shifters. If all you want is greater control, you can shift much faster with the sequential shifters than I ever could with a clutch pedal, and it lets me keep it in drive when I'm going to work in the city so I can devote more focus towards the cars & pedestrians around me. I mentioned this on the last page, but I drove a super fun manual Impreza for years, but I grew up in the country and went to a rural college without much traffic. I took a job in Baltimore and after a year I traded it in for a Golf TDI with a DSG and never looked back.

Manuals are fun, but if you're buying new at a certain point you're just getting a manual because you like your gear shifting minigame. I'm shopping around for a good deal on a used manual Miata to gently caress around in, but I'm under no illusion that it's in any way more practical or safer because it's a manual.

Sumac has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Mar 16, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
What was nice when they first introduced the DSG in the Golf was it had an actual 6-gear shifter in the middle, just without the need for a clutch pedal, so you kind of had that fun gear-shifting minigame as you put it. But obviously there was no real need for it and that quickly turned into paddles and the simple up/down shifting with the lever. To bring all this car chat back around to purchases, that gtx 970 I ordered arrived today, and in addition to GTA5 I had already preordered, I pre-ordered Project CARS on steam which isn't out until "mid-May". It's great getting a fancy new toy then sitting around waiting for new stuff to play with.

Edit: it's not a purchase except in the sense her mom bought it as a gift, but fedex left an apparently expensive michael kors purse on my porch as an early birthday gift for my girlfriend, which was promptly stolen before either of us got home. Folks, never check the "no signature required" FedEx box unless you're familiar with the recipient's house and neighborhood. I've had no problem with little amazon packages that fit in the storm door but I imagine Neiman Marcus ships purses in big gaudy steal-me boxes. Neiman Marcus is apparently sending a replacement though so that's pretty cool of them.

davebo has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Mar 16, 2015

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
This fetishization of manuals is the worst, and I say that as someone who finally had it with changing gears after owning a motorcycle. Manuals don't make you cool like Steve McQueen. They've become the automotive equivalent of a fedora.

Yes, I know there's irony or someshit in this Username + Post combo.

edit for thread content and continuing with the transportation theme:

Kryptonite U-lock and cable.

Trabant has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Mar 16, 2015

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

im sorry but steve mcqueen is out and no longer cool. ryan gosling and scorpion jackets are cool and in

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

If you can afford it and want to retain some degree of control over your gear selection, get yourself something with a Golf/Audi DSG transmission. It's automatic, but all the cars come with sequential paddle shifters. If all you want is greater control, you can shift much faster with the sequential shifters than I ever could with a clutch pedal, and it lets me keep it in drive when I'm going to work in the city so I can devote more focus towards the cars & pedestrians around me. I mentioned this on the last page, but I drove a super fun manual Impreza for years, but I grew up in the country and went to a rural college without much traffic. I took a job in Baltimore and after a year I traded it in for a Golf TDI with a DSG and never looked back.

Manuals are fun, but if you're buying new at a certain point you're just getting a manual because you like your gear shifting minigame. I'm shopping around for a good deal on a used manual Miata to gently caress around in, but I'm under no illusion that it's in any way more practical or safer because it's a manual.

I use my clutch to slow down more than I use my break pedal.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My city of 2.4 million people has no highways, 30km/h arterials and makes lights turn red every two blocks regardless of traffic. No car is fun.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Trabant posted:

This fetishization of manuals is the worst, and I say that as someone who finally had it with changing gears after owning a motorcycle. Manuals don't make you cool like Steve McQueen. They've become the automotive equivalent of a fedora.

:iiaca:

Unless you drive so much that you're getting a repetitive strain injury from the shift knob, I can't see how it could possibly be bad. I don't know if there's fetishization unless you're seriously all Top Gear about cars or something and just need to be up in people's business talking about *that connection with the road*, but frankly I don't care enough to be a driving-feel aesthete. It's just a car from going from A to B and it has a clutch that works, and it's how I learned. Saying that having a preference is pretentious or uncool is like saying "why would you wear shoes with laces, you insufferable hipster fetishist purist person, when velcro is available?"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

We have to be all Top Gear about cars in this thread because England took it away from us this week.

so there.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

not me in the picture but certainly could be my expression in the future. Hammocks own. Plan on ditching the tent and just roughing it with a hammock and fly net

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

We have to be all Top Gear about cars in this thread because England took it away from us this week.

so there.

Could someone explain that to me? I used to watch TG but haven't the last two seasons for no real reason.

All I know is: Jeremy was a knob somehow, then he didn't get a steak somewhere, then he punched a dude, James May told reporters he was drunk or something, a bunch of people signed a petition, then the BBC said "gently caress it" and canceled the show and destroyed the last two episodes of this season.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Crain posted:

then the BBC said "gently caress it" and canceled the show and destroyed the last two episodes of this season.

I don't think either of these things are two.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

big mean giraffe posted:

I don't think either of these things are two.

That's just the last thing I heard. Well, without the hyperbole. I heard they didn't air this weeks episode and that they suspended the show.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bought some ground beef and grilled some burgers tonight. Weather was beautiful.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The weather is completely tits today. Might be this year I buy a barbecue.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

big mean giraffe posted:

You have no idea what traffic is like in cities do you?

Considering I used to drive around a city of more than 8 million people for work I really do, yeah. :allears:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

strangemusic posted:

:iiaca:

Unless you drive so much that you're getting a repetitive strain injury from the shift knob, I can't see how it could possibly be bad. I don't know if there's fetishization unless you're seriously all Top Gear about cars or something and just need to be up in people's business talking about *that connection with the road*, but frankly I don't care enough to be a driving-feel aesthete. It's just a car from going from A to B and it has a clutch that works, and it's how I learned. Saying that having a preference is pretentious or uncool is like saying "why would you wear shoes with laces, you insufferable hipster fetishist purist person, when velcro is available?"

A far more accurate :shoeanalogy: would be shoes with laces that you had to re-lace, tighten, or loosen every time you stopped walking / walked faster / walked uphill / some combination thereof, but you argued it gave you a better feel for the subtleties of walking and it made walking in even crappy shoes fun.

If that were the case, yes -- you would be an insufferable hipster fetishist purist person, and loving sign me up for velcro.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
poo poo, I live in a house that is 90% heated with a wood stove. I spend all fall and winter buying, splitting, chopping wood. I wake to a cold house every morning if I sleep in too late. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

And yet, I recognize that most people want to just turn a knob and not go through all this nonsense to stay warm. I love an impractical, outdated, fussy thing, and yet can admit that it is all of these things.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Trabant posted:

A far more accurate :shoeanalogy: would be shoes with laces that you had to re-lace, tighten, or loosen every time you stopped walking / walked faster / walked uphill / some combination thereof, but you argued it gave you a better feel for the subtleties of walking and it made walking in even crappy shoes fun.

If that were the case, yes -- you would be an insufferable hipster fetishist purist person, and loving sign me up for velcro.

Well poo poo, now I'm tempted to buy a shoe analogy emote.

CONTENT, BECAUSE THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT BUYING THINGS:

A Judge Dredd cosplay that is also a bike helmet! (not me, obviously)

Giro Air Attack. It's comfy. I love the silly eye shield.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well what species is that. Give us some background.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Brown bear, felt.

I bought it sight-unseen to disassemble it for parts, but it's too nice so I guess it's just going to hang out or something with my other bears.

Pick has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Mar 17, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

very pretty plastic

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
It's finally riding season again, so I took advantage of a deal and got some gear upgrades. I'll be moving north this summer, so I needed a new jacket for better fall/winter/spring riding, and my gloves were starting to come apart at the stitches.

Tourmaster Saber 4 Jacket

Alpinestars SP-2 Gloves

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Pick posted:

Brown bear, felt.

I bought it sight-unseen to disassemble it for parts, but it's too nice so I guess it's just going to hang out or something with my other bears.

please tell me more about your life :allears:

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
The only argument for wanting a manual car should be the same singular argument people should have for wanting a gun.

It's fun.

That's it. None of this 'connected to the car', 'makes me a better driver', 'i enjoy antiquated mechanics cos i'm a hipster' bollocks.

I live in London and haven't owned a car in 9 years, but this year I've got my eyes set on a 19 year old Skyline that i'm going to drive solely to tear up country lanes and take over to mainland europe for road trips. It will be fun.

Recently bought:

RFID syringes as part of my most recent wholesale order for my studio. Gonna join the transhuman revolution and stick one of these in my hand so i can use Tasker on my phone in order to have it automatically unlock if i pick it up with the hand with that chip stuck in. And then gonna look at getting an RFID door lock for my bedroom in my shared house cos i'm a big nerd.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

dpack_1 posted:

The only argument for wanting a manual car should be the same singular argument people should have for wanting a gun.

It's fun.

That's it. None of this 'connected to the car', 'makes me a better driver', 'i enjoy antiquated mechanics cos i'm a hipster' bollocks.

I live in London and haven't owned a car in 9 years, but this year I've got my eyes set on a 19 year old Skyline that i'm going to drive solely to tear up country lanes and take over to mainland europe for road trips. It will be fun.

Recently bought:

RFID syringes as part of my most recent wholesale order for my studio. Gonna join the transhuman revolution and stick one of these in my hand so i can use Tasker on my phone in order to have it automatically unlock if i pick it up with the hand with that chip stuck in. And then gonna look at getting an RFID door lock for my bedroom in my shared house cos i'm a big nerd.

so uh..what do you have to do when you want to take it out after you regret it in 3 weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Pukestain Pal posted:

so uh..what do you have to do when you want to take it out after you regret it in 3 weeks?

At hostpital lost fingat due to infection post mote later