Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Yeah, how dare poor people try to have fun?

Exactly they should be out trying to get a job thanks Obama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Medullah posted:

Talk to the quest giver again. Assuming it's still an available quest, and not an event quest.

Is there some sort of wait before it becomes available? It was the 2nd quest in the Revanite quest chain

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So to be a hundred percent clear, this is Kotor3 with diverging quest lines, voice acting, and companion story lines except it's an MMO. Right?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Farecoal posted:

Is there some sort of wait before it becomes available? It was the 2nd quest in the Revanite quest chain

If it was part of a multi step quest chain then you'll have to start over

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Medullah posted:

If it was part of a multi step quest chain then you'll have to start over

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=441147

Well gently caress me for clicking the wrong button, I guess :psyduck:

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I spent money on it once a long time ago. I've since picked it back up and have been enjoying my experience as a preferred customer. It doesn't really seem that harsh of a drop off but I'm only leveling so I can't judge it with any significant degree of knowledge, though. I actually think their subscription model is very reasonable, as far as f2p games go. They do a good job of constantly reminding you that being a subscriber is a better experience but that just seems like basic marketing strategy. If I eventually feel like it will be worth it to subscribe, then I'll subscribe. If I don't feel like it will be worth it, I'll play as-is or move along.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Farecoal posted:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=441147

Well gently caress me for clicking the wrong button, I guess :psyduck:

Yeah, be careful.

I accidentally dropped the Corellia Planet questline and couldn't pick it up again because the guy that starts it was in an instance that I could only get into by being on the questline. And customer service only helps if it's a class story apparently.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Turtlicious posted:

So to be a hundred percent clear, this is Kotor3 with diverging quest lines, voice acting, and companion story lines except it's an MMO. Right?

Yes. However, while this game is good, don't go in expecting it to replicate the awesomeness of playing the KOTOR games for the first time. You're just going to set yourself up for disappointment

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

True to a point. You really are going to get out of this game what you put in. You can zoom from quest to quest if you want but there are reasons to explore and read in this game if you want. Having said that, it's still a MMO and everything that comes with a MMO is there. Don't expect this to be KOTOR levels of RPG greatness.

Certain classes have better stories then others. I think you will find most people will agree that Imperial Agent has by far the best story in the game. I'm going through it right now and it's one of the few class stories I've been engaged with. If you are a Star Wars fan though this game is awesome. Pretty drat amazing to get to explore the universe.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Gordong Dongbay posted:

True to a point. You really are going to get out of this game what you put in. You can zoom from quest to quest if you want but there are reasons to explore and read in this game if you want. Having said that, it's still a MMO and everything that comes with a MMO is there. Don't expect this to be KOTOR levels of RPG greatness.

Certain classes have better stories then others. I think you will find most people will agree that Imperial Agent has by far the best story in the game. I'm going through it right now and it's one of the few class stories I've been engaged with. If you are a Star Wars fan though this game is awesome. Pretty drat amazing to get to explore the universe.

I'm doing Imperial Agent right now too, just finished Taris. The beginning of the story didn't grab me as much, but starting somewhere around Nar Shaddaa, it became exactly what I was hoping for. It is not an especially Star Wars-y story, but it is fun.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
What's a good runner up to the Imperial Agent story? Maybe a glowstick one?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

denimgorilla posted:

The Inquisitor and Warrior storylines are both entertaining. The Inquisitor's is funnier.

Turtlicious posted:

It's a MMO with eight built-in single-player campaigns.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
Ok so now Legacy names mean nothing am I able to change the one I had years ago? I raced through to get Alpha thinking Id be a special snowflake and now I will just look like an idiot.

Also are server transfers free? Whats the best servers to play on?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Probably the server with goons on it is the best. I don't think it really matters.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Harbinger is one of the most active PvE servers, though it's quieter now. Prophecy of the Five is dead by all accounts, which sucks because it references the awesome prequel comic

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Catsworth posted:

Yeah, be careful.

I accidentally dropped the Corellia Planet questline and couldn't pick it up again because the guy that starts it was in an instance that I could only get into by being on the questline. And customer service only helps if it's a class story apparently.

You can get somebody currently on the questline to share it with you, possibly, or group with somebody going into the instance and pick it up. But yeah, it's a hassle. Don't drop quests until you're done with the planet.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Medullah posted:

This isn't true.

Havent crit since I went pref. and did at least a hundred gathering missions since then. I think I have to unlock artifact usage first before it can crit again.

Medullah posted:

It's pretty much designed for subscribers to buy the unlocks they'll need before they go F2P.

As I've said a billion times, this game is F2P like those iphone and android games are F2P - you can do it, but without spending any money, it's going to be a miserable experience. Just subscribe if you're going to play - if $15 a month breaks your bank, you shouldn't be playing games anyway.

Okay chief

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

lalaland posted:

Havent crit since I went pref. and did at least a hundred gathering missions since then. I think I have to unlock artifact usage first before it can crit again.

Okay chief

Gathering missions at the highest tier, unless they fixed it, barely crit when they crit. A purple mission unlocked will net you about the same as a bountiful or rich mission, a crit is only like 2 additional mats for those. And I assume you're only running Rich missions when you're hoping for crits.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Has anyone ever made a list of all the unlocks you should ideally stockpile before dropping from subscriber to preferred?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
So what is the best melee dps class now? Powertech?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So if I buy the 40 dollar sale thing going on right now, will it activate my sub or just credit it to my account to activate later?

2 months sub plus all the expansions for 40 bucks seems like a decent deal.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
I'm pretty sure it activated immediately for me

Not Jerobi
Apr 19, 2010

Frimmin' on the frim fram.
Frimmin' on the fram.

veedubfreak posted:

So if I buy the 40 dollar sale thing going on right now, will it activate my sub or just credit it to my account to activate later?

2 months sub plus all the expansions for 40 bucks seems like a decent deal.

It starts immediately. In fact, I used the "returning player" link from an email for the free week, used someone's refer link - got an extra week + the bonuses, then the game time was applied and I wound up with 72 days of playtime for the cost of the expansion promotion.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Daric posted:

So what is the best melee dps class now? Powertech?

Annihilation if you only care about PvE, Hatred Sin or Advanced Prototype if you care about PvP as well. Vengeance would be a distant fourth.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Reminder that if you're looking to get free poo poo and a free week of being a sub use a referral code from one of our friendly goons! Medullah's is in the OP and mine's a few pages back. I'm sure a few other people have posted their codes in here as well.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Reminder that if you're looking to get free poo poo and a free week of being a sub use a referral code from one of our friendly goons! Medullah's is in the OP and mine's a few pages back. I'm sure a few other people have posted their codes in here as well.

Yeah, good idea :V

http://www.swtor.com/r/r6gdpY

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

denimgorilla posted:

The Sith Warrior story is great if you are looking to be a super evil Star Wars guy. Sith Warrior was the first class I played and got to around 38. Most of the story revolves around killing other glowstick men and becoming the most powerful glowstick wielder.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

You've gotta be subscribed on the 29th to get the crystal that's coming up, so ideally you'll want to be hitting the link or or after the 22nd.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gordong Dongbay posted:

The Sith Warrior story is great if you are looking to be a super evil Star Wars guy. Sith Warrior was the first class I played and got to around 38. Most of the story revolves around killing other glowstick men and becoming the most powerful glowstick wielder.

This, except don't play super evil. Play light side and constantly watch as everyone freaks out over that fact. It makes the story a lot better too, since it makes you look like you have a mind of your own and are preparing to be strong yourself, instead of mindlessly following orders.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

KittyEmpress posted:

This, except don't play super evil. Play light side and constantly watch as everyone freaks out over that fact. It makes the story a lot better too, since it makes you look like you have a mind of your own and are preparing to be strong yourself, instead of mindlessly following orders.

The Act 1 encounter as light side is amazing. Though, the follower you receive after that encounter is completely over the top if you go dark side.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

:gb2D&D:

The story is fun. IT's like playing KOTOR with all your friends that hate you and don't actually want to play with you.

Enjoy a free single-player experience.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also do not worry about your alignment. They put in a sliding scale but it's absolutely useless. There are items you can get as a full Light or Dark side character but they honestly don't matter much. You are going to have a much more enjoyable experience if you make your choices based off how you would like to see the story progress. For instance my Imperial Agent is Dark Side for the most part but if I get a chance to gently caress a Sith over I will because gently caress them, they don't run the Empire in my eyes.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Maybe I'm sucking on that half finished kotor 2 dick, but I think Kreia was probably one of the most interesting characters in Kotor.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Maybe I'm sucking on that half finished kotor 2 dick, but I think Kreia was probably one of the most interesting characters in Kotor.

You played it with ther Restored Content Mod? Because it's pretty good.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Kotor 2 was just "nuh-uh, jedi are totally idiots" the game. Story was boring poo poo and maps and gameplay were better in kotor 1. If I didn't know better I'd think Karen Traviss wrote it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

effectual posted:

Kotor 2 was just "nuh-uh, jedi are totally idiots" the game. Story was boring poo poo and maps and gameplay were better in kotor 1. If I didn't know better I'd think Karen Traviss wrote it.

Subnormals should be euthanized.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Medullah posted:

Gathering missions at the highest tier, unless they fixed it, barely crit when they crit. A purple mission unlocked will net you about the same as a bountiful or rich mission, a crit is only like 2 additional mats for those. And I assume you're only running Rich missions when you're hoping for crits.

I dont have the highest tier yet Im talking about lvl 1-300ish gathering crits where sometimes you get a slightly longer story at the result and extra purple + blue items. That doesnt happen anymore since I went pref. and I assume its because I'm not authorized anymore to use artifacts (purple items).

I agree with most here that the pve/story is awesome as hell with as a highlight so far the sith warrior act 1 finale. Too bad I like to pvp or else I wouldn't mind throwing money at this game. But at lvl 30 pvp turns into a horrible abomination of lvl 55+ demigods running around in the same map and obliterating you by looking in your general direction. Cant seem to lvl much past 30 because of that.

shadok posted:

Has anyone ever made a list of all the unlocks you should ideally stockpile before dropping from subscriber to preferred?

First of all unlock the twilek species for all your twilek stripper roleplaying needs. The artifact authorization is nice and its account wide so you only have to buy 1. Other than that, check which weekly passes you want and which regularly are listed for more than 350k on the GTN and stock up on those

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

lalaland posted:

I dont have the highest tier yet Im talking about lvl 1-300ish gathering crits where sometimes you get a slightly longer story at the result and extra purple + blue items. That doesnt happen anymore since I went pref. and I assume its because I'm not authorized anymore to use artifacts (purple items).

Gathering missions never get you blues or purples - those come from mission skills. So, yes, in a way preferred gimps you since you can only do two crafting skills. But gathering (bioanalysis, scavenging, archaeology) never has "critted" blues or purples, you need the appropriate mission skill (diplomacy, investigation, treasure hunting) which will always yield a blue and will crit a purple.

Edit - And you get the 3rd crew skill unlocked if you ever were a subscriber and click a referral link

Medullah fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 18, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

SKY COQ posted:

You've gotta be subscribed on the 29th to get the crystal that's coming up, so ideally you'll want to be hitting the link or or after the 22nd.

Ah, glad you mentioned that. I didn't realize it was the 29th as the cut off. Reason I asked is that I plan on being out of town the first week of April, so didn't want to activate and then lose a week of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Do you have to have medicine to use these reusable medkits? They seem super handy.

• Locked thread