Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Westminster System posted:

Through Judicious use of trees and dezoning - including lots of 1 square offices that served little purpose now - I have finished insanity project one.

Big old roundabout as reference.

Essentially, my screenshot and future disaster mod anyone makes test zone is complete.

loving beautiful, inspired me to finally get a city past 10k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fintilgin posted:

No! Don't do it! Don't jum...

Oh. Um. Okay. Carry on, then.

(They jump back up too! :haw: )

Reminds me of SC4 where a bus terminal placed between an elevated highway and a road would become a magical bus elevator.

Anyways, time to load up the Star Minstrel Mars map because goddamn does it look cool. Everything else looks either flat, or janky as gently caress.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Arsonide posted:

How do you guys deal with the early game off ramp? It is terrible and I hate it. I wish it was a 2 lane/six lane road or something. I would just bulldoze it and make something better, but in the early game you don't have any tools to do highway ramps or highways, and in the late game, you've already built around the lovely default ramp.

The game is fantastic, but this triggers my OCD so hard.

This is how my highway has been set up ever since I got access to large roundabouts. Originally there was a small roundabout instead which got pretty backed up, but functioned well enough to tide me over until I could upgrade it, though, I had to bulldoze two blocks to fit the new roundabout. Traffic was still a headache even on the large roundabout, until I replaced the industry with the offices and commercial you see on the upper areas. Now traffic is not a problem, and I'd say that's the real solution: make an intersection that looks nice, and power on through until you can relocate your industry somewhere with a sensible highway interchange.

I think there are three realisations that really made this game click for me, coming from Sim City 4. One is that Cims don't always take the fastest route to where they are going, which means unlike Sim City side streets can be safely joined up without every driver in the city suddenly wanting to drive through some random residential side street instead of taking the slightly longer but faster and less congested main road. The second was that the traffic system is actually balanced around that fact, so small roads can take more cars because they're not intended to be used only by the residents of that street, while larger roads take fewer because you don't need to funnel absolutely every vehicle onto a large road until they reach their destination. Lastly, was the realisation that "high traffic" does not mean traffic jams. I have traffic lit intersections which periodically display as being "high traffic", but if you actually zoom in to look at the intersection, what is often happening is that traffic has built up while the light is red, and then as soon as it goes green, the traffic all immediately clears. As a result I started trusting my own eyes to verify traffic problems and treated the red on the traffic map as being "worth a look" instead of "GRIDLOCK HELL". As far as I'm concerned any intersection where a vehicle can reliably get through in less than two light cycles on average is an adequate junction, no matter how backed up it gets every now and then.

So, I just started building a city like a city looks like, and didn't pay much attention to traffic balancing, and lo and behold traffic isn't actually much of an issue.

Of course, who knows how things will be once the population is creeping up over a hunded thousand, but right now people seem to get around OK.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there a reason nothing's being built in these areas, even though I have them zoned? It was originally going to be a big industrial area, but I tried it like this to see if it was a problem with industrial or all the zones, and still nothing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Check your power reach. That road may be too wide for the power to jump the gap.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lester Shy posted:

Is there a reason nothing's being built in these areas, even though I have them zoned? It was originally going to be a big industrial area, but I tried it like this to see if it was a problem with industrial or all the zones, and still nothing.

move the 6-lane parallel to the highway several squares further away from the highway, then make some ramps between the highway and it (i.e. frontage roads: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontage_road)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Check your power reach. That road may be too wide for the power to jump the gap.

Nah, the idiots will still build there and then complain about lack of power. No matter how I plan my power, new areas will always build as far away from a power connection as possible. :argh:

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

I'd hesitate recommending Blender to a newbie. I've no problem using it because I've used various 3d programs over the years and it's all the same, just a matter of finding out what the hell it's called in this particular package and how to get to it. For someone new to 3d modelling? Uuuuuuh.

Blender isn't any worse than any other package. Any complex piece of software is going to be intimidating to learn.

I've been using Blender for 12 or so years, and happy to answer questions in the IRC. irc.synirc.org #skylines

I've got most of the kinks worked out of this:

Should be slapping it on the Workshop tommorow.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

ijyt posted:

loving beautiful, inspired me to finally get a city past 10k.

Thanks, I'm mostly happy that apart from a few terrible areas of industrial traffic hell, it mostly works.

I am pushing about 450k~ at this point, mostly thanks to the 25 tile mod to be fair. The game runs at normal 1 > speed even at >>> at this point though, cause of my terrible computer.

As always, obligatory set pieces aside from the airport earlier are included, the 2 "grandest" offerings being the Arch and "Palais de Amadea".

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Reveilled posted:

So, I just started building a city like a city looks like, and didn't pay much attention to traffic balancing, and lo and behold traffic isn't actually much of an issue.

Yeah, I'm building a psuedo Seattle right now off my home city, and it's kind of incredible how the congestion/bad traffic areas in game are the same areas we have bad traffic/congestion with in real life.

To be fair, it's not to scale or anything, and I've got a third of the roads, but it really does nail home that "add more roads" isn't really a fix. The bigger issue is those areas are just naturally congested.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I also found that the game will show red traffic even if it's not really that clogged, an area might just have a lot of throughput with a couple of cars waiting at lights but no major issues. Bit of a red herring.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Thanks, I'm mostly happy that apart from a few terrible areas of industrial traffic hell, it mostly works.

I am pushing about 450k~ at this point, mostly thanks to the 25 tile mod to be fair. The game runs at normal 1 > speed even at >>> at this point though, cause of my terrible computer.

As always, obligatory set pieces aside from the airport earlier are included, the 2 "grandest" offerings being the Arch and "Palais de Amadea".

You are much better at this game than I am.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Through Judicious use of trees and dezoning - including lots of 1 square offices that served little purpose now - I have finished insanity project one.

Essentially, my screenshot and future disaster mod anyone makes test zone is complete.

This is full of rainbows.

What's the population size? I saw there's an achievement for 100k, is that the max achievable by the game? I remember a maximum being mentionned...

//edit

^^^^^^
Got my response up top.

Another question: are unique buildings unlocked for all maps? And if yes, can you unlock them in one map and then come back to a map you're making? I'm asking that for the ones that require bad stuff like 20% health and 50% crime.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 17, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hit 100k. But the Aging Mod was cheating pretty blatantly :(

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Enos Shenk posted:

Blender isn't any worse than any other package. Any complex piece of software is going to be intimidating to learn.

I've been using Blender for 12 or so years, and happy to answer questions in the IRC. irc.synirc.org #skylines

What guides do you recommend for people that used 3D Studio Max and found Blender's interface impenetrable?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Man now I just want a bunch of HL2 stuff, like that huge fuckin wall. No matter how hard it'd be to mod in

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Subscribed to the autosave mod, forgot to turn it on, played for 8 hours thinking it was on, laptop overheated and shut down.

:suicide:

ijyt posted:

I also found that the game will show red traffic even if it's not really that clogged, an area might just have a lot of throughput with a couple of cars waiting at lights but no major issues. Bit of a red herring.

Definitely true, I was trying to troubleshoot a red section and I was staring at traffic go by for a good 10-15 minutes before I realized there wasn't really any clog at all, there were just tons of vehicles moving through the road section.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 17, 2015

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

HardDisk posted:

What guides do you recommend for people that used 3D Studio Max and found Blender's interface impenetrable?

Convert to editable polygon (right click on your object) is your friend with 3D studio max. That will be your first step in modeling. Then, and your biggest challenge, will be learning to "unwrap", which is basically "unfolding" the texture map so you can then paint over the mapping you created with a painting program (usually photoshop).

So : find tutorial to drag edges around (click on an edge and shift+drag when in editable polygon mode (NOT the same thing as EDIT POLY modifier) with an object in editable poly (you really can just start with a plane and go from there). Then unwrap mode, and then paint over your unwrap in photoshop or another paint program and you should be good :)
ADDENDUM : it's possible the models in this game use raw shaders instead of painted textures, which are less memory intensive, you'll have to snoop around modding forums for the game. That's a bit more finicky to assign to your polygons since you need to learn the material tool in 3Ds Max.

Keep in mind 3DS max is super old and crash prone and is a piece of poo poo (I model everything with it) I want to throw out of my house. Save often.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 17, 2015

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Somehow I've made it to 30k pop with the stock highway intersection. I had to fix done angles on it that caused traffic to slow down a lot on the ramps, but that's it. I only added a second highway spur after 20k for direct access to industrial and cargo.

I found that it's worked well for me to have three layers on the main strip. The bottom layer is inbound from off the map (or the distant areas) and exits to the different areas. The layer above that is outbound off the map or to the distant areas. The third layer is a loop highway that has both ramps to and from each area and is used for local traffic only.

I found that mixing the three with a highway roundabout was forcing all the traffic for a large area through one circle and it was too much for the road to pass, so that spawned the third layer local-only.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

StarMinstrel posted:

UNGH YESSSSSSSSSSSSS thanks so much. Little comments like this makes the 5 hours I spent on it worth it (no exageration because god drat that terrain was bumpy, and simply smoothing out would make all the ridges dissapear, so I had to manually flatten a lot of plateau at places I thought would be playable). I still want to see if there's any way to directly update the file on steam so people can have an updated version directly sent to them, instead of sharing a new file, as right now sharing an updated assets seems to be a bit... unwieldy/buggy, as far as I tried. Maybe I'm dumbo. Anyway, still planning on make the map a beauty pass for more buildable terrain and maybe look over the resource distribution.

:D It's a great map and I'm grateful you made it! I might recommend upping the resources a little, I know it's not terribly realistic, but just to give a little more choice in city diversity around the place.

SynthOrange posted:

If you keep pumping sewage into that lake, will it eventually overflow?

I actually wanted to ask about how water works, so this lets me segue nicely into that! Basically when I plunk down a pump or outlet pipe, the water level seems to have an immediate change, but then stops changing. I don't seem to actually be pumping water out of the large lake or into the smaller one on a permanent basis as such. Can anyone shed light on whether this is so? I was hoping to eventually fill Poo Lake over to the brim.

Cyberius
Sep 24, 2007
Totally Fake
How is performance on this game? Looking at the Requirements, I should be just above Recommended specs. But when I play the game I'm getting 20-30 FPS on low settings/1080P. I have noticed slow downs in other games, so I think there's something I need to fix, but I just wanted to see what I should kind of performance I should be getting first.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
This game is the Divinity: Original Sin of city builders. :colbert:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

My English maybe completely broken right now, so I'm sorry that you misunderstood me.

What I wanted to say is that I already know how to model in 3DS Studio Max , including UVWrapping (I think it's the most rewarding part, since it's pretty much where things start to come together, so to speak). I wanted to get into Blender, since it's free, but the interface is impenetrable to me. Do you have any guides that you can recommend in this case?

StarMinstrel posted:

Keep in mind 3DS max is super old and crash prone and is a piece of poo poo (I model everything with it) I want to throw out of my house. Save often.

~indie charm~ :v:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 17, 2015

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

StarMinstrel posted:

I remember a maximum being mentionned...

Another question: are unique buildings unlocked for all maps? And if yes, can you unlock them in one map and then come back to a map you're making? I'm asking that for the ones that require bad stuff like 20% health and 50% crime.

Yeah, It's 1 million I believe.

As for that, yes, its unlocked across the game and theres a menu option to reset. I got a few of the more annoying ones in a throwaway game but couldn't get crime above the 20%'s.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Mod time! It's a vending machine prop you can use to spruce up your parks or buildings. I intend to use it myself for later mods.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

HardDisk posted:

My English maybe completely broken right now, so I'm sorry that you misunderstood me.

What I wanted to say is that I already know how to model in 3DS Studio Max , including UVWrapping (I think it's the most rewarding part, since it's pretty much where things start to come together, so to speak). I wanted to get into Blender, since it's free, but the interface is impenetrable to me. Do you have any guides that you can recommend in this case?

~indie charm~ :v:

Oh, drat. Yeah no, I just started looking into blender too, and well: that interface is a cliff I still have to learn. One day... one day... if you find something, feel free to post for any wanna be modder here, I'm sure we'd all aprreciate (Blender, for those that don't know, is a free to get modeling application that's good depending on who you ask. I've seen promising renders).

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I've gone too far.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Enos Shenk posted:

I don't suppose the screen with the geisha mouth is animated? Is that even possible?

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

Can you upload this please.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

StarMinstrel posted:

Oh, drat. Yeah no, I just started looking into blender too, and well: that interface is a cliff I still have to learn. One day... one day... if you find something, feel free to post for any wanna be modder here, I'm sure we'd all aprreciate (Blender, for those that don't know, is a free to get modeling application that's good depending on who you ask. I've seen promising renders).

There's a video series from this apparently French guy, but IDK if it's a good series or not. It appears that he's just winging it as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt_lsr1SwBI

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't suppose the screen with the geisha mouth is animated? Is that even possible?

It's the plymouth arco!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So what's the best way to handle traffic coming off of the starting highway?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zotix posted:

Before you get big: I don't care, looptheloops if you have to.
After you get big: more highway.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Zotix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwj2ZiiFSs

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I wish the agents would pay attention to traffic when deciding how they want to move, taking the next longest route if the primary route is congested as hell. That'd be nice. Make some kind of 50k pop building thats a traffic center that lets people know or some poo poo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

StarMinstrel posted:

UNGH YESSSSSSSSSSSSS thanks so much. Little comments like this makes the 5 hours I spent on it worth it (no exageration because god drat that terrain was bumpy, and simply smoothing out would make all the ridges dissapear, so I had to manually flatten a lot of plateau at places I thought would be playable). I still want to see if there's any way to directly update the file on steam so people can have an updated version directly sent to them, instead of sharing a new file, as right now sharing an updated assets seems to be a bit... unwieldy/buggy, as far as I tried. Maybe I'm dumbo. Anyway, still planning on make the map a beauty pass for more buildable terrain and maybe look over the resource distribution.

Poo lake is everyone's stepping stone to that map. I'm glad mine is finally getting cleared up. I snaked down and finally I can pollute the BIGGER crater :getin:

"Here you go Citizen 43, your weekly oxygen ration."

PS: Also I just tried out Chewbot's DESERT color correction and it looks much better (IMO) than the Sunset one, so I'm switching my recommendation to that one.

Can you move the starting area because as is you have to pollute the fertile Lake with turds forever.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

i like that this guys is making videos, but IMO that is some ugly rear end poo poo

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I guess it's about half way full now.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
ravenous demand for industrial, but they're dying off like flies because no one is buying their poo poo. no other demand.

help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The Mantis posted:

i like that this guys is making videos, but IMO that is some ugly rear end poo poo

Ugly but it works and leaves you space to demolish and expand later.