Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
So he's saying the Korean teams showed up the day of the tournament with no time to adjust for jet lag or anything? That's hilarious. Did they have LCK games more recently than the EU/NA/Chinese LCS teams, or did they just kind of not think that travel or the competition was going to be that hard? I don't know how many hours different time is from Korea to Poland, but I can't imagine it's less than 20 hours of airport/travel time which absolutely loving sucks and the last thing I'd want to do when arriving after a travel day is sit down and mop the floor with C9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

mushi posted:

So he's saying the Korean teams showed up the day of the tournament with no time to adjust for jet lag or anything? That's hilarious. Did they have LCK games more recently than the EU/NA/Chinese LCS teams, or did they just kind of not think that travel or the competition was going to be that hard? I don't know how many hours different time is from Korea to Poland, but I can't imagine it's less than 20 hours of airport/travel time which absolutely loving sucks and the last thing I'd want to do when arriving after a travel day is sit down and mop the floor with C9.
There was no LCK that week, they were entirely on break. They had as much time between their last match and IEM than any team from NA or EU would have had.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
After Ozone getting pummeled by Fnatic and Gambit at S3 Worlds and now GE getting smashed by WE surely Korean teams will stop underestimating international competition ? :v:

Savage Cracker fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 16, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Savage Cracker posted:

After Ozone getting pummeled by Fnatic and Gambit at S3 Worlds and now GE getting smashed by WE surely Korean teams will stop underestimating international competition ? :v:
I think the idea is that they just treat anyone that they don't consider World-Class as a non-issue so they practice against who they think they'll meet later on in the tournament instead of the random international teams or teams that are generally considered garbage in their region like WE.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Jerkface posted:

Someone translated Lustboy's blog he made while at the airport here is the link & here are some interesting bits http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/2z7tz2/lustboys_airport_blog_on_iem_katowice_talks_kr/

I wondered why I saw people on both sides in windowed mode when there were camera shots of the monitors. Is it possible to see too much league of legends? I submit that it is not (but being comfortable with your setup is clearly quite important).

Lustboy gettin' that grill.
https://twitter.com/TSMWildTurtle/status/542790017009983489/photo/1

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Any game with a fixed FOV you are going to experience maximum performance at a relatively small size, like a 17-19" monitor @ 30" or so. Having everything in your central vision is a huge benefit.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Badfinger posted:

I wondered why I saw people on both sides in windowed mode when there were camera shots of the monitors. Is it possible to see too much league of legends? I submit that it is not (but being comfortable with your setup is clearly quite important).

Lustboy gettin' that grill.
https://twitter.com/TSMWildTurtle/status/542790017009983489/photo/1
Your screen gets larger without any benefit so it takes a lot more time to move your mouse around

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Personally a 1080p screen is too much league for me. I prefer my laptop resolution. The details are just too far into my peripheral vision.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

counterpoint. i loving hate windowed mode, so its always fullscreen for me.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

GreyPowerVan posted:

counterpoint. i loving hate windowed mode, so its always fullscreen for me.

we'll see how quick you change your tune when you make it to IEM Katowice 2020 & they make you play on a 70" 4K display

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I have trouble playing basically any game in windowed mode (except for windowed fullscreen, god's intended mode). I also really dislike how close in League locks you, but at the same time I misclick minions often enough as it is I'd probably just suck worse with more zoom out.

So how would everyone here, master league strategists we are, theorycraft to beat TSM in a series? Sometimes it feels like their biggest strength is simply not losing for so long that the other team makes a mistake and they win.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Badfinger posted:

So how would everyone here, master league strategists we are, theorycraft to beat TSM in a series? Sometimes it feels like their biggest strength is simply not losing for so long that the other team makes a mistake and they win.

If teams put the amount effort they put into camping Dyrus into camping Bjerg instead they'd probably give TSM a harder time.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
At least the Korean fans aren't mad at GE

http://esportsexpress.com/2015/03/inven-invites-ge-tigers-to-celebratory-dinner-in-remote-hunting-lodge/

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Badfinger posted:

have as good team fighting as them while playing a better early game? Camp bottom lane instead of top lane? Teams that will beat TSM are probably ones with a midlaner that is as good or better than Bjergsen because TSM doesn't do as good when Bjerg can't exert pressure mid. One of TSM's big strengths though is that you kind of have to camp dyrus. Not only is he susceptible to ganks because he pushes lane / bullies top without ward coverage, but if you let him do that he will become massive and unkillable. He can easily carry a game out of top if he gets rolling ala his maokai games, his mundo game vs LMQ. If WE didn't send Spirit top Dyrus would have probably solo killed Maokai a few times on Rumble + opened up an even bigger CS lead. Even dying 4 times he had a 20 CS advantage.

SKT isn't the best korean team at the moment but I think they'd be the korean team that could sweep TSM in a series because Faker isn't going to get chumped by Bjerg & will probably chump him instead. GE tigers laning isn't actually that great so they could lose to TSM & as we saw CJ got stomped by them.

Vs even or worse teams TSM just snowballs through a series, so your best bet is to win early & hope you can luck out & close the series. I think the longer a series goes the more likely TSM will win. I don't think there is a S3 SKT or S4 SSW/B team right now that is better than every other team at all phases of the game. Those teams had monster laners + team fighting + strategy. Every team in the world right now has some definable weaknesses.

In fact if Worlds were held this summr I'd probably put odds on a chinese team winning it than any korean team right now.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Jerkface posted:

In fact if Worlds were held this summr I'd probably put odds on a chinese team winning it than any korean team right now.

I can't be the only guy hyped as gently caress for the possibility of a TSM/OMG encounter at Worlds. Round 3 of Wildboy vs Uzi would be loving amazing.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
TSM/OMG would be the poo poo. But I just really like the idea of Uzi personally becoming the Buffalo Bills of League. The only player to ever enter multiple world finals, and he leaves empty-handed every time.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i feel like uzi can't truly shine on a team where he has to share farm with 2 other super hard carries tho, that dude just needs a team of four supports that give him all the gold. that said, cool and gogoing are loving massive lads so whatever.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

quote:

Witnesses reportedly spotted Devin “Froskurinn” Ryanne Mohr singing excerpts from Beijing Opera pieces while Christopher “MonteCristo” Mykkles slowly walked into the ocean.

There's something beautiful about this. I can't tell from your post if you know, but ESEX is satire.

LightningKnight posted:

If teams put the amount effort they put into camping Dyrus into camping Bjerg instead they'd probably give TSM a harder time.

Bjergsen is MUCH harder to camp than Dyrus. There is a reason people don't just do that instead. You're inviting Danish Double Kills and a snowball that way.

I think the top 3 in the LPL are world class, with Snake a little bit of an enigma, but the LPL isn't really this hidden gem of amazing teams. There have been some real busts importing Korean players. Curious if this little WE run gives them any confidence or if they'll slip back in to losing. SKT was definitely not a world-beater early in the year, but they're starting to round into form. Champions should be really interesting going forward.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

esex is the onion of DIGITAL SPORTS

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The dark secret of Dyrus is that he plays super unsafe and greedy to both entice attention ('easy' kills) and require an answer (someone put the Dyrus 'get hosed' gif here) because he's being super aggressive and crushing his opponent's CS and XP. A line you don't hear very often is "well, Top lane got left alone by the others and Dyrus just kinda lost." He takes a large amount of pressure away from Turtle/Lustboy (probably TSM's weakest lane in a vacuum, not that's saying much about how 'weak' it is) in the early game and gives them time to get their vision game going and turn the bottom half of the map into a death zone.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Badfinger posted:

Bjergsen is MUCH harder to camp than Dyrus. There is a reason people don't just do that instead. You're inviting Danish Double Kills and a snowball that way.

It worked pretty well in WE v. TSM game 1 where one well timed gank completely removed Bjerg's presence from the game for 20-25 minutes.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

Yes it's fairly obvious.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
well you didn't word your post to sound sarcastic so i figured you were retarded and didnt get the joke

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Hypocrisy posted:

It worked pretty well in WE v. TSM game 1 where one well timed gank completely removed Bjerg's presence from the game for 20-25 minutes.

Of course. It's certainly not impossible, it's just much more difficult, usually doesn't completely shut down Bjerg, and the consequences for failing are usually lose conditions.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Luna Was Here posted:

well you didn't word your post to sound sarcastic so i figured you were retarded and didnt get the joke

Yeah man, if you don't put a kappa in there how are we supposed to know that you don't actually think montecristo walked into the sea and that the ge tigers swam home???

KicksYouInHalf fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 16, 2015

Bankerfox
Oct 11, 2012

Badfinger posted:

I have trouble playing basically any game in windowed mode (except for windowed fullscreen, god's intended mode). I also really dislike how close in League locks you, but at the same time I misclick minions often enough as it is I'd probably just suck worse with more zoom out.

TSM seems to have this weird aura around them where they can get completely outplayed in terms of strategy, rotations, or team fights, and at some critical moment they can just turn it on and win a fight from nothing. I don't know if its just their ability to look at a mistake from the enemy team and immediately know how to capitalize, but I've seen way too many TSM games where they looked dead in the water and won through some crazy play which they snowballed off to think it's just a fluke at this point.

Honestly, CLG the first time they played had them locked out by keeping constant pressure on the map, and CLG probably would have won if it weren't for CLG shenanigans and forcing a drag they didn't even need. WE was smashing them in that game one till a single positioning mistake at the second inhibitor turret. I feel TSM does not respond to any form of early objective pressure well and crack hard under good rotations; its just you have to play the end out almost perfectly and not get overconfident in the late game, because that seems to be the window they thrive in for comebacks. I don't think camping Bjergsen is the answer because more often than not Santorin will probably back him up. Camping Wildturtle might be a good start because of his moments of bad positioning, and then keep them moving around the map while your team takes turrets.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
That's the thing with TSM yeah. Their early game is kind of shaky (though they have this REALLY weird thing where if one lane gets a kill the others all tend to simultaneously explode somehow - thinking of how Dyrus got a kill up top in game 2/3 vs WE and suddenly Turtle and Lustboy nearly got another in bot, for instance), but they have crazy amounts of clutch and will eke out a comeback out of anything you give them. You needs tons of consistency to beat them, and it's not just normal consistency but a crushing, machinelike efficiency that stifles them from beginning to end. Not many teams can do that these days.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Transient People posted:

That's the thing with TSM yeah. Their early game is kind of shaky (though they have this REALLY weird thing where if one lane gets a kill the others all tend to simultaneously explode somehow - thinking of how Dyrus got a kill up top in game 2/3 vs WE and suddenly Turtle and Lustboy nearly got another in bot, for instance), but they have crazy amounts of clutch and will eke out a comeback out of anything you give them. You needs tons of consistency to beat them, and it's not just normal consistency but a crushing, machinelike efficiency that stifles them from beginning to end. Not many teams can do that these days.

adding on to this I remember back when it was like do or died for them in their match vs LMQ way back last year where they just sweeped the entire map and got like a 12 minute ace or something all in like 1v1 or 2v2 duels. it was real nutty and mega hyphy and i think they almost time it that way to create confusion in the other teams comms like everybody calling out "theyre going in on us can we get backup" and everyone just like "no I NEED BACKUP" and then everyones dead

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Bankerfox posted:

TSM seems to have this weird aura around them where they can get completely outplayed in terms of strategy, rotations, or team fights, and at some critical moment they can just turn it on and win a fight from nothing. I don't know if its just their ability to look at a mistake from the enemy team and immediately know how to capitalize, but I've seen way too many TSM games where they looked dead in the water and won through some crazy play which they snowballed off to think it's just a fluke at this point.

Honestly, CLG the first time they played had them locked out by keeping constant pressure on the map, and CLG probably would have won if it weren't for CLG shenanigans and forcing a drag they didn't even need. WE was smashing them in that game one till a single positioning mistake at the second inhibitor turret. I feel TSM does not respond to any form of early objective pressure well and crack hard under good rotations; its just you have to play the end out almost perfectly and not get overconfident in the late game, because that seems to be the window they thrive in for comebacks. I don't think camping Bjergsen is the answer because more often than not Santorin will probably back him up. Camping Wildturtle might be a good start because of his moments of bad positioning, and then keep them moving around the map while your team takes turrets.
I like how we now live in a world where CLG autoloses if the game goes too late.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I just watched the entirety of IEM from start to finish in the last 1.5 days with no spoilers (I was like a full day behind on everything). Was a really great tournament. I couldn't fact check some stuff midway through to prevent spoiling but some things that really surprised me:

1) WE's insane priority of Jarvan IV was really something else. I don't even really know how to quantify that. By Game 3 of the Finals they prioritized Sivir (which they had played wonderfully for most of the tournament and so had TSM) but by that point it was too late. I'm not even sure that you can ban out Bjergsen, but if you can, Viktor isn't one of the Top 5 guys you'd want to ban against him.
2) GE played some really arrogant and unstable compositions and that probably lost them the series vs. WE. You should honestly be disbarred from competitive for locking in a Yasuo at this point. I really can't believe they did that and a Lee Sin together against a team that they had almost no opportunity to engage upon.
3) Yoe was actually my favorite team to watch in this tournament I think, but they shouldn't have prioritized Irelia so much, Steak was better on other champions and TSM played around it really easily in their matches against it.

Going off both 1 and 3 -- transparent priority of a single open champion (J4 and Irelia) exposed both WE and Yoe to TSM, who were able to compose excellent drafts throughout the entire tournament and anticipate and play around whatever they knew their opponents would lock in on.

Played who really sucked in this tournament:
- Madlife, holy moly his Leona and Annie games were just trainwrecks.
- Edward, made Madlife look good, was an even bigger trainwreck. Wasn't a single redeemable thing about his play at any point in their matches, he wins the Evaniskus award.
- Sven, aside from the Rek'Sai which was a no brainer, the junglers he picked into for his team in the other two matches and they way he played them were completely awful. Picking a Rengar to go with a team comp that can't set it up is so stupid it's practically an auto-loss, and his engages in that game were so laughably bad that he could have been playing almost anything else and probably had a better game.
- Everyone except Meteos and Sneaky on Cloud 9, holy poo poo get these guys some new running mates.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
c9 is kind of hosed on the international stage because apparently Hai is their main shotcaller/strategic mind in game, yet he gets outclassed in lane when he faces target bans and elite competition. They can't get rid of Hai unless they find someone that can orchestrate their objective play at the same level while simultaneously finding a world class mid laner. Basically they'll always win in NA but lose against the best in the world.

I feel like if LemonNation transitioned to a coaching role and then either train Hai in support or replace him, but split the shotcalling duties somehow so it's not just on their mid laner who isn't quite good enough to both lane and shotcall.

Luna Was Here posted:

except not as clever or funny

Meteos' ego is pretty much the only remotely good parody thing around league

mushi fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 17, 2015

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I don't mean to play kingmaker to TSM. Account for recency bias, and all that. Obviously they didn't see SK or GE in the tournament, so regardless of how Korean teams do or don't approach international competition they still missed out on the challenge. It's just crazy to see them win games that other teams methodically get closed out on where they have no business being in it. When Liquid had them all 3 inhibs down, nexus exposed, baron, 5 drags they got Turtle a penta kill. Frankly, I think if they'd gone 3 for 1 in the last fight (somehow), they would have won THAT game too and they were 10+k gold down on top of all the previously mentioned things. Outside of the T8 weirdness, their resiliency to just somehow Not Lose is a thing not many other teams seem to have when they get 4-5k down mid game and it makes them seem so daunting in a 5 game set once they get there.

It's also fun as poo poo.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Their early vision control is really bad. Teams can exploit that pretty easily.

Bankerfox
Oct 11, 2012
Now that I think about it more, I wonder what would happen if you simply pick/banned away the good hard engage champions for TSM? banning annie, liss, jarvan etc. might get some results. Specifically, Lustboy off hard engage like Annie, because he seems to be their primary method of engage. You might open the door to Bjerg's champ pool, but if you can control him in lane and take away their engage, they won't be able to turn crazy fights as effectively.

Bankerfox
Oct 11, 2012
GE Tigers were way too cocky for their own good, and Korean fans do not take failure lightly. While the Esex article is a funny joke, GE is not going to have a lot of fan support for a while.

Bankerfox fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 17, 2015

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I liked when xiye hovered over Yasuo in the third game. It was just him saying, "remember thinking this would be easy? gently caress you" to GE.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

mushi posted:

except not as clever or funny

Meteos' ego is pretty much the only remotely good parody thing around league

oh noes friend, it would appear you've been cursed with S  H  I  T  T  Y    O  P  I  N  I  O  N  S, theres nothing i can do for this sorry

Bankerfox posted:

GE Tigers were way too cocky for their own good, and Korean fans do not take failure lightly. While the Esex article is a funny joke, GE is not going to have a lot of fan support for a while.

i honestly think while they're going to eat poo poo when they get back to korea their fans are mostly in a confusion state atm. They'll probably realize that GE was cocky as gently caress and poo poo on them for it but from the few inven translations I saw it was mostly people going "how the gently caress does this even happen"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

GE is the only team that has had a consistent roster for years, and part of the reason they play so well is their friendship. It's basically impossible for them to replace anyone on the roster and have the same sort of chemistry, so it looks like they just won't be competing on the international stage until they can find an even bigger earring for their mid laner.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Marin Karin posted:

I liked when xiye hovered over Yasuo in the third game. It was just him saying, "remember thinking this would be easy? gently caress you" to GE.

That was beautiful. Also, Xiye legitimately beat Kuro in lane over and over again on multiple champions. It was pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Is Elements seriously bringing Dexter in?

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 17, 2015

• Locked thread