Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah you have someone that you're trying to help scream in your ear about how pathetic you are and not get upset and in the meantime gently caress yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

hey check this out you can totally get upset without threatening to kill someone in a professional setting except im dickeye so its their fault not mine robots anime bananasuit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
hey check this out im forums poster zvxteflon and im a fuckin tard

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Literally The Worst posted:

hey check this out im forums poster zvxteflon and im a fuckin tard

I don't necessarily disagree, that being said:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Coffee And Pie posted:

I don't necessarily disagree, that being said:

I'm the tagline taht's also an inside joke.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
On another topic, why has no one yet actually made a game called Bonestorm? Being someone who does not particularly want to go to Hell, I'd have to buy it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yo, Dickeye, I've worked customer service for the last 12 years. It sucks. My particular store has a reputation nationally for having some of the most difficult customers. I've always found it helps to remember that they're not really mad at you, you're just the thing that's in front of them when they're mad. Just put up a wall between you and them and don't let any of it actually affect you. It's really easy to become a vector for stress and it always, always, makes the situation worse.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

zVxTeflon should settle down, imho.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
At my job, I don't deal with customers, ever, because it's an online business. My bosses, who own the company, deal with all the returns and customer complaints and stuff, and they can be confrontational, childish, and douchey about it and there's nobody to reprimand them, it's pretty funny.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Kramjacks posted:

zVxTeflon should settle down, imho.

I am actually the opposite of upset atm

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Jesus Christ I just checked this again after making that post on the train, both of you stop or you're going to be my first probations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Not very cool.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just saw Stormy Weather and it is crazy because Bill Robinson was like 70 when he made it and looks maybe 40 and does incredible dance moves the whole movie and then died five years later. Also Lena Horne plays his wife and is like 25. Half the movie takes place before she would have even been born, and the age difference between her and Bojangles is greater than her age at the time they made the movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doesn't America have that thing that unless they fire you for something really serious you still work for like 2-3 months or until you find another job?

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Hbomberguy posted:

For my final documentary piece I was given a very arty professor type. The kind who thought koyaanisqatsi wasn't pure art enough and philip glass was too mainstream, and made one of the required viewings a two hour-long documentary called "R.R.", which was just still shots of trains going by.

I made my final piece shots of a nearby caravan park, playing in slow-motion but with shots chosen so that you can't really tell, with a soundtrack that gets progressively angrier until it's ripping off Nine Inch Nails. I passed pretty good but it didn't bring me any closer to my dream of being a good film man. I just want to films good.

Can anyone help me, films?

I feel ya man. At my school you could go two routes:
-Take the Practicum course, where the school gives you $5K and studio time, but you're handed a 10-page script written by a clown car of Screenwriting 2 students, all of your production and post crew is assigned to you (and they act at the creative whims of their instructors) and the head of the Practicum dept can gently caress with your poo poo because "real world problems can happen at any time"
-Hack it on your own, have complete creative control, only your editor is assigned to you, but no guaranteed screenings by the school.

I took the latter route. In my overeagerness to graduate I booked myself a semester where I would be producing my thesis film on my lonesome and a double-credit Comedy Directing class where I'd be producing four other shorts. That's not as bad as it sounds, the 4 shorts were spaced over 3 months, only 30 seconds-4 minutes long, and I was given studio time for them. But the final short for that class was its own small beast. So Big Thesis is the hacking it on your own route to make a 10-minute short, Little Thesis is the 3-5 minute Comedy Directing final. Day comes to shoot Little Thesis, and I am kicked out of my own allotted studio time.
Why?
-Practicum needs to build their set for tomorrow.
They're only using half the space.
-They need to be able to talk amongst each other.
Can I use the smaller studio for lighting students?
-No, a lighting student might want to use it.

This fucks over me and the other guy scheduled to shoot that day. We complain to Tom, who is in charge of studio time and second-in-command on Practicum. He grants us a makeup time: the night before Thanksgiving. Between the two drectors we have a crew of 5 people. The other guy hacks his script down to its bones and pulls something off. I couldn't get my actresses in, so my script is kaput. Instead I scrobble together a parody of this really terrible Practicum film called 'Waiting for the Coroner' that the school proudly used as a poster boy for some ill-conceived reason. I basically just had two of the crewmembers overact the awful dialogue, threw in some dramatic zooms of the film's infamous ticking clock, etc. An easy backup plan, but of course I'm kicked out the second the building officially closes and have like, a minute's worth of footage.

So I complain again to Tom. My teacher complains to Tom. The teacher overseeing my Big Thesis has a chat with Tom. Tom tells me he'll grant me some more studio time, but ONLY because he saw a rough cut of my Big Thesis and really liked it. A few days later I get a call at work telling me my new scheduled studio time. It's in 6 loving hours. Crew is at least guaranteed and my camera guy, Miles, is gonna be in that evening. I frantically call my actresses: unavailable. The original script's kaput again. So I'm sitting on this dumb minute long parody film called "Waiting for the Mortician-er' and I'm gonna have 3 hours to turn it into something, anything, funny. So I make it into this thing where said film's production gets sabotaged by a bunch of red tape bullshit.

I basically turned in this big ol' gently caress You to the school. The teacher gave me an A.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Doesn't America have that thing that unless they fire you for something really serious you still work for like 2-3 months or until you find another job?

Hahahahahaha. (In seven states it's legal to fire you for pointing out repeatedly that they are violating the law or federal safety rules).

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 17, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GonSmithe posted:

Jesus Christ I just checked this again after making that post on the train, both of you stop or you're going to be my first probations.

I was already done, stepdad.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

FreudianSlippers posted:

You're kidding, right?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfqTro99Cs4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

TrixRabbi posted:

You're kidding, right?

I think they may be thinking of France, that sounds like something they would do

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FreudianSlippers posted:

They were going to suspend me while they filled out the paper work to fire me, because that's what "pending investigation" means, so no.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahaha

:unsmigghh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Kendrick album is a letdown. Fill your ear holes with some real poo poo tonight instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVSHMKizsgg
:rock:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Hell, some huge American companies go a step further and arrange things so that most of their wage slave workers aren't "employees" per se, merely 'contractors,' so on top of being fireable at will they get zero benefits.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's more fun for employees when the management declares a switch from hourly plus to commission to pure commission, then decides they're going to cut your budget to a tenth.

After firing their entire graphic design staff because no one would agree to a signed contract that they wouldn't freelance during and for two years after end of employment.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Man, I just caught up on the self-promotion thread and that Wakaliwood thing is super interesting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
None of my struggles tonight are helped by the fact that I'm not built for complex emotional responses so I really just want to hit something really hard, until something breaks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Talkin bout my generation!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Kill everyone.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

But make sure that it's a fixed point in time so the Doctor can be serious and lament it.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Talkin bout my generation!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Haaaaaaahahahahahahaha no loving way

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just watched Schindler's List no more than 30 minutes ago.

This is both very relevant, and very horrifying. (Even though I've seen that Pony thing like a thousand times already. It's my go to picture for explaining Bronies)

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The Kendrick album is a letdown. Fill your ear holes with some real poo poo tonight instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVSHMKizsgg
:rock:

You deserve to be locked in Salt Cures Ham's box.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's legal in some states for people to fire you for being gay or transgendered.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

wyoming posted:

You deserve to be locked in Salt Cures Ham's box.
I could probably stand to listen to this one for 13 straight hours or however long he said but not some of their others.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Nothing tops when Madoka Magicka implied that Anne Frank escaped the camps by signing a contract with an alien cat and turning herself into a magical anime girl, unknowingly dooming herself regardless.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

It's legal in some states for people to fire you for being gay or transgendered.

Hell, some states have made it illegal for cities to pass there own laws protecting gay or transgendered people from employment discrimination.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I just watched Schindler's List no more than 30 minutes ago.

This is both very relevant, and very horrifying. (Even though I've seen that Pony thing like a thousand times already. It's my go to picture for explaining Bronies)

Jesus Christ.

Skwirl posted:

Hell, some states have made it illegal for cities to pass there own laws protecting gays and lesbians from employment discrimination.

Yes, this is another thing. People are actively fighting against this and countless other laws that would expand the rights of workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Schindler's List is a really great movie. But it's a movie that if I start, I have to finish no matter what, or I'm loving destroyed all day. The ending scene where he says "If I just didn't buy so much, I could've saved more people!" is one of my favorite cinematic moments. It's inspiriting, heartbreaking, and just so perfectly preformed.

That Spielberg is a master I tells ya.

• Locked thread