Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Captain Mediocre posted:

I keep scores of dogs penned up together in a pretty small space, and I've noticed that lots of them are getting injured (losing teeth especially) and some dying.

Are they fighting each other? Or taking damage from overcrowding somehow?

They are almost certainly fighting each other. Check your [r]reports sometime and you'll probably notice reports of dog on dog violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
You can stuff them all in a single cage if you want, instead, and they won't fight.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Captain Mediocre posted:

I keep scores of dogs penned up together in a pretty small space, and I've noticed that lots of them are getting injured (losing teeth especially) and some dying.

Are they fighting each other? Or taking damage from overcrowding somehow?

It took me a while to realise this is the DF thread and not Pet Island.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Can dogs notice intruders while caged? I've got a bunch of them chained in the entryway into my base to detect intruders, but it would probably help the frame rate a bit to cage them all.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Animals in a cage are in a strange sort of quantum stasis and don't interact with the outside world or other cage members at all. They will get hungry and give birth in the cage, but they won't become pregnant in them. And they cannot detect goblins. Just put two hunting dogs near your entrance, you don't need 30 to spot a snatcher or thief.

Shove your pooches in a cage, build a pressure plate next to it and link it. Enemy walks onto a tile, and then BAM, suddenly DOGS. (Or giant badgers or whatever you have)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I think animals become sort of quasi-items when they're stuffed in a cage.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I've got a field that's set to have hemp planted year round. I've got 19 hemp seeds to start, but my farmers and planters won't plant those seeds. What should I check to get them planting them? Currently, most of my planters sit idle doing nothing. Could it be that the field is considered underground?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yes, check and make sure it isn't underground. Additionally, make sure you aren't trying to plant them on a mountain biome or some other biome they won't grow in.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

GenericOverusedName posted:

Yes, check and make sure it isn't underground. Additionally, make sure you aren't trying to plant them on a mountain biome or some other biome they won't grow in.

How do I check the biome? I'm in a river valley, but I don't think I'm in a mountain biome.

EDIT: For that matter, how do I check if something's considered underground? Why wouldn't the farm plot bar the seed from the list if it couldn't grow there?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 16, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Check every individual tile's status with the... something key. K?

If it's partly one, and partly another, demolish it and replace it with two that are all one and all the other, last I checked the farming system does NOT like plots that are mixed.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ah, yup, the farm plot is considered underground. Why would it even list above ground plants like hemp then, anyway? I'll make a farm plot outside and get that rolling.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

neogeo0823 posted:

Ah, yup, the farm plot is considered underground. Why would it even list above ground plants like hemp then, anyway? I'll make a farm plot outside and get that rolling.

Any tile that has ever been exposed to sunlight counts as 'outside', which I think is what actually matters. Inside/outside, not above/under ground.

This means you can channel down as far as you want from the surface and plant a 'surface' farm on any mud/dirt you have, and then pave over the hole on the surface and it's still good for surface crops.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Any tile that has ever been exposed to sunlight counts as 'outside', which I think is what actually matters. Inside/outside, not above/under ground.

This means you can channel down as far as you want from the surface and plant a 'surface' farm on any mud/dirt you have, and then pave over the hole on the surface and it's still good for surface crops.

I'll have to do that then, yeah. Can I pave over an open area with dirt? The way I've got things set up is that the surface near my entrance is pasture, then 1 level directly down are the farms. I had been doing fine with underground plants, but want hemp because it's year round fiber for clothes. If I open up one of the farms, that'll take a significant chunk out of my pasture, unless I move the farm way the hell out of the way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

steinrokkan posted:

Does religion even have any effect in the game?

Gods pretty directly relate to vampires, necromancers and werebeasts.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Lurdiak posted:

Gods pretty directly relate to vampires, necromancers and werebeasts.

Yeah. I think I've also seen demons create the slabs that teach necromancers how to necromance, but vampires and werebeasts seem to arise exclusively from divine curses.

You also used to be able to blow up the world (via massive fatal crash) by yelling at God, but I think Toady fixed that, so now you can simply yell at God and be ignored.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is this version stable yet? As in has toady stopped his bug fixing spree

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
For the moment. I'm going to tentatively guess it'll be another month or two before the next content release, followed by more bug fixing. This is assuming Toady doesn't decide to spend two to three years on this update, but I think chances are good for a quicker release than that.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yes. Toady's rolling around with his tavern art troupe arc right now, so who knows how long this situation lasts.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Average Bear posted:

Is this version stable yet? As in has toady stopped his bug fixing spree

There is some intermittent crashes here and there but they are very rare. Don't try to build constructions over tree twigs, that usually makes the game freak out.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Can I pave over an open area with dirt?
No, but you can flood something, which leaves mud when it evaporates.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I figured Toady was just a run of the mill sort of spergy dude, but I did some reading and apparently he's a spergy dude with a PhD in math from Stanford?? What

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Toady is a friendly, well-adjusted person who is perfectly capable of expressing himself, navigating social situations, and basically succeeding at anything he puts his mind to, and what he decided to put his mind to was a bonkers dwarf simulation.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Oh, I am sure that he is. I didn't mean spergy in the sense of peculiar nerd, but in the sense of might actually have undiagnosed autism or something. From the NYT interview I read, the guy pretty much lives in a bare apartment with plywood over the window so light doesn't get in, and he works at night. It sounds like he is very happy, well adjusted, and extremely intelligent. I just figured he had started coding games in high school or undergrad or something and just decided to do that instead of working, and it wound up being a good idea. But instead he basically jumped into a top shelf academic pressure cooker and decided to leave, not because he couldn't handle academia, but because he didn't like how academia was taking too much time away from his hobby. At that level, the PhD students probably drop like flies due to the pressures of the program alone, so this is very impressive. It's just not the impression I got from the guy talking about his cat and sending out donor rewards in crayon.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Oh, I am sure that he is. I didn't mean spergy in the sense of peculiar nerd, but in the sense of might actually have undiagnosed autism or something.

"I didn't mean it in one potentially insulting way, but in another potentially insulting way"
:goonsay:

Anyways, anyone here who hasn't listened to any of the Dwarf Fortress Talk episodes should check them out. There's also a number of podcasts and sites out there that have interviewed Toady, the most recent being an interview with IncGamers. I absolutely love hearing him discuss the game and his thought processes throughout its development.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 17, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

In an average fort with a population of, say, 200, how many dwarves do you guys generally see wind up in jail? The current floor plan I'm using includes 4 little 1x3 jail cells on each floor of bedrooms, but each floor also only houses 26 dwarves. I'm trying to expand the plan outward a bit to house more dwarves per floor, but that would give me 12 cells on every floor if I follow the pattern strictly, which just seems like way too many cells.

EDIT: Also, statues count as walls for the purposes of separating rooms, right? Like, if I have this layout:

And I place a statue where the cursor is, right in the corner of the 4 rooms, will all the rooms benefit from it? And will it count as a wall to stop dwarves from sidling across to their neighbors room as they go about their business?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 17, 2015

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

EDIT: Also, statues count as walls for the purposes of separating rooms, right? Like, if I have this layout:

And I place a statue where the cursor is, right in the corner of the 4 rooms, will all the rooms benefit from it? And will it count as a wall to stop dwarves from sidling across to their neighbors room as they go about their business?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure statues block dwarves. I'm also pretty sure they don't block water, though, so watch out for that.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The story of the moral:

Toady posted:

While toying around with the art book code and poem/etc. composition, I thought I'd see what happens to an entire form created by an artist mid-world-generation when the only way the form can be passed around is between teachers, students and troupe members. Most of these non-civ forms tend to stay within a single troupe, but sometimes they break out. For instance, in a 200 year small world, we had a human from a hamlet named Usmen decide to run away from home and study goblin poetry. I guess he was troubled by their society, because it wasn't too many years before he introduced a new form of poetry in the year 106: a poetic narrative intended to teach a moral lesson. He and his master Zom Frothhate joined up with a few more goblins and founded the Tan Flies, and Usmen taught the whole group the new poetic form. A hundred years later, forty years after Usmen died of old age, the eight current members of the Tan Flies are still teaching moral lessons to their goblin buddies.

They aren't the only ones though -- back in 113, not long after moral poetry was introduced, one of the founding Tan Flies named Stasost Tongsdemons left the group to go study elven poetry under Narena Packedman, a renowned poet who had over twenty-five students and several major works over a century of activity. After a brief apprenticeship, Stasost went on to have five students of her own before becoming a noble ruling over some goblin pits in 131. Two of these students, Aslot Hatedtangle and Stasost Profaneace, were taught the moral lesson poetic form around the year 120. Stasost Profaneace is still alive, now traveling with the venerable Blockaded Horns troupe (founded in 35), though she has not yet successfully passed on the moral lesson form (her only apprentice to date was murdered).

The other student of Tongsdemons, Aslot, was a one-armed murderous goblin farmer in the pits before becoming a poet at age one hundred eleven, studying under the future Lady for twelve years until she assumed rulership. Aslot was murdered in 162, but he had many students of his own and one of them, a human named Atek Housetactics was deemed worthy of the moral lesson form. Atek was born in 130, 24 years after the invention of moral lesson poetry, and learned the form in the year 150. After losing several apprentices to the perils of goblin living, Atek managed to keep the goblin Osta Wererock alive long enough to pass along the knowledge. They founded a troupe together called the Holy Points and are still performing. Several new members have joined up, so there's hope that moral lesson poetry will continue to spread.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
So, basically, Toady has modeled the spread of memes to a degree. This "useless flavor coding that does nothing but take up valuable FPS" will probably provide the framework and support for stuff like spreading religions, gaining support for revolutions, change of social norms, you name it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It is terrifying.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
just turn the graphics settings down if you are getting low fps; set textures to low, detail to low,, ambient occlusion to FX or whatever, shadows to off etc.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
yeah turn down the higher end lighting effects because those can make the game throttle out at the GPU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Maybe eventually we will have the ability to burn ingame books to raise fps, burn histories away

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
That's a pretty amazing idea. Cast a spell or burn the tomes of knowledge to wipe out all memory. Suddenly 16384 tiles of engraved stone become identical "something is carved here but its significance has been lost to the ages" or something.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

The story of the moral:

The more I read up on Tarn, the more I believe he is actually going to creat Psychohistory and accurately predict our future through the social movement of the masses...

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

All along, it was us: we were the slaves to Armok.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What are the characteristics of Armok?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It is terrifying.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

If you didn't know, Armok is actually named after a function in one of Toady's old games that checked if a character had a usable arm.

arm_ok

This is 100% true.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

if (arm_ok);
{slave = true}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elth posted:

If you didn't know, Armok is actually named after a function in one of Toady's old games that checked if a character had a usable arm.

arm_ok

This is 100% true.

Note taht this was a rather complex function, as characters could easily gain and lose arms dynamically.