Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Mantis posted:

ravenous demand for industrial, but they're dying off like flies because no one is buying their poo poo. no other demand.

help.

Office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Mantis posted:

ravenous demand for industrial, but they're dying off like flies because no one is buying their poo poo. no other demand.

help.

Business Offices? Office zoning counts as industrial too.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away
How do I build a grid based resi/commerce district without having horrible broken traffic all the time :negative:

Can someone help me overcome my inability to understand the traffic in this game.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So am I the only one that extends the starting highway with 6 lane one ways to start? Because if you do that, you can upgrade them to highways with a single click when you get to that point. Makes planning for the future easier too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The unofficial name for this game should be Red Herring.

I made a park that's actually an underground bunker.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409271970

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

DEO3 posted:

Can you upload this please.

I can, if I can grab a list of the mods im using that I'd assume everyone would need - there silly things like where I plopped two parking lots down and never used them again. I'll check it out tomorrow/later.

If anyone knows how to grab a list via steam that isn't something only I can see that'd be neat.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I also want to add in my support for starting off in an earlier time period. I really want to start in the 1800s or early 1900s with a farming region. Everything is connected by dirt roads and railroads. Then you turn your train station into a town into a city into a metropolis. Right now it just feels like I'm Dr. David Burbank who showed up, bought some land and am starting a town.

I really just want giant farms. There should be farm roads or something that have large swaths of zoneable area that just fills in with big crop fields or whatever.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Business Offices? Office zoning counts as industrial too.

Wait, really? Offices is Heavy Industrial? I thought it was just Fancy Heavy Commercial.

Also, Star Minstrel, I'm really loving the Mars map. I look forward to any other maps you make in the future.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
gently caress, houses are hard. I should have done a boxy commercial building or something :(

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 17, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Can you move the starting area because as is you have to pollute the fertile Lake with turds forever.

actually, will it eventually fill up and flood everything with poo?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

You guys are doing a very good job of making me want this game, even if its just to make the most terrifying road systems imaginable.

Did they really remove poop waterfalls? Because that was the big selling point.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I can't design a city with good traffic to save my loving life.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We're literally talking about a lakeful of poo in the posts above you, why do you think they're removed?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I just want an asphalt version of the gravel 2-way road and have them be two different road types.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

You guys are doing a very good job of making me want this game, even if its just to make the most terrifying road systems imaginable.

Did they really remove poop waterfalls? Because that was the big selling point.

You cannot simply eject poo out of your sewage system wherever fancy takes you. It has to be deposited in a water body.

However, if your map has an existing waterfall, you can certainly fill it full of poo and have a majestic slurry of fecal matter cascading serenely down the sides of your mountain, much to the delight of your citizenry.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Has anyone had save games randomly disappear? I hit 20k with my first city and decided to start over. Got to 3-4k with my new one, went back to play and it was gone? :negative:

Booted up my first city and tried to save it. Traffic is a real bitch.

I am hoping I can make enough money from the new outlying areas to completely demolish my original area and make it make sense because I have way too many intersections.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Looks like you missed a spot with the smoothing Star Minstrel:

Still loving the map but that's gonna drive me up the wall.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

I can't stop connecting. :ohdear:

Edit: You can just see the district of "High Heights" to the North. Sometimes I love the random naming generator.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Noyemi K posted:

Due to complaints about parks required to upgrade/appease industry, I've made some suitable parks for industrial locales, as you can see here and here.

In SC4 I really liked using the "plaza" type parks for my high land value commercial and high-tech industrial zones. They had an aesthetic that blended in much better with those types of buildings, with minimal trees.

Four of the 2x2 plaza parks:

I couldn't find a pic of the 3x3 one.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
"Braids in a Greenfield Construction" - Oil on canvas ~201x

And I'm supposed to be a transport professional :gonk:

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone had issues with the game just straight-up not being playable?

I get this when I start it, at what I presume to be the main menu:

(This is on a Mac, if that's relevant)

DopeGhoti fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 17, 2015

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Koesj posted:

"Braids in a Greenfield Construction" - Oil on canvas ~201x

And I'm supposed to be a transport professional :gonk:

Looks a lot better than some of the stuff thats been posted!

I wanna see a traffic engineer play this game though :toot:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Westminster System posted:

I can, if I can grab a list of the mods im using that I'd assume everyone would need - there silly things like where I plopped two parking lots down and never used them again. I'll check it out tomorrow/later.

If anyone knows how to grab a list via steam that isn't something only I can see that'd be neat.

Further to this, uploaded and a collection made and linked in the description here;

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409277795

Let me know if you encounter any problems, and don't expect anything other than traffic hell and scraperscape :p.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

You cannot simply eject poo out of your sewage system wherever fancy takes you. It has to be deposited in a water body.

However, if your map has an existing waterfall, you can certainly fill it full of poo and have a majestic slurry of fecal matter cascading serenely down the sides of your mountain, much to the delight of your citizenry.

One step closer to recreating Hamilton in its poo smog glory. :unsmith:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Looks a lot better than some of the stuff thats been posted!

I wanna see a traffic engineer play this game though :toot:

Game's too quirky with lane usage vs. road types to really get some nice optimization going.

But, with an extra dose of horizontal/vertical alignment and merging sheen, plus some much needed superelevation on high speed transport links, C:S'd have it all for me :shobon:

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
What exactly counts as services to satisfy the requirement of "services" for upgrading? I've got a bus and metro line hooked up in my new office district, it's right near a high school, and has police and fire nearby already.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Solarflare posted:

What exactly counts as services to satisfy the requirement of "services" for upgrading? I've got a bus and metro line hooked up in my new office district, it's right near a high school, and has police and fire nearby already.

Parks, typically.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Dante18907 posted:

How do I build a grid based resi/commerce district without having horrible broken traffic all the time :negative:

Can someone help me overcome my inability to understand the traffic in this game.

Show us what you've got currently.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

Edit: You can just see the district of "High Heights" to the North. Sometimes I love the random naming generator.

District > Policies > Recreational Use

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Alkydere posted:

Wait, really? Offices is Heavy Industrial? I thought it was just Fancy Heavy Commercial.

Also, Star Minstrel, I'm really loving the Mars map. I look forward to any other maps you make in the future.

Yup, which is why I think CO should add in a new meter once you unlock office zoning so it is RCIO, or... RICO.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, I'm building a psuedo Seattle right now off my home city, and it's kind of incredible how the congestion/bad traffic areas in game are the same areas we have bad traffic/congestion with in real life.

To be fair, it's not to scale or anything, and I've got a third of the roads, but it really does nail home that "add more roads" isn't really a fix. The bigger issue is those areas are just naturally congested.

If this game can accurately simulate the Mercer Mess I might just get it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Enos Shenk posted:

Blender isn't any worse than any other package. Any complex piece of software is going to be intimidating to learn.

I've been using Blender for 12 or so years, and happy to answer questions in the IRC. irc.synirc.org #skylines

I've got most of the kinks worked out of this:

Should be slapping it on the Workshop tommorow.

Oh man, I hadn't even THOUGHT about how many arcologies are going to end up on the workshop.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So dams don't work so hot unless they're along a major river and can in fact reverse the flow of water in the area you constructed it

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Sharps posted:

If this game can accurately simulate the Mercer Mess I might just get it.

Have every single road in a large section of city converge on a single point, which is permanently under construction and changes daily for years and years.

No mortal could replicate it, only SDOT could.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I love this game and it's great people are already making tons of cool mods. But my cheevs :saddowns:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Onion Knight posted:

District > Policies > Recreational Use

I remain amused that it's an actual policy. Take that, EA squares.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I'm still working on that stupid house. Seriously, after this, it's just gonna be offices... holy poo poo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a 'circle segment' road laying tool mod yet.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
So do dams break down randomly or over time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Berious posted:

I love this game and it's great people are already making tons of cool mods. But my cheevs :saddowns:

There's a mod for that :cool:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407055819