Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HONY is basically Upworthy in photographic form. It's something for suburban white moms to share on facebook to feel good about themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

deaders posted:

That article is spot on, and the complaint about thesaurus abuse is spurious.

lol if you think that article is not poorly written (though you might be making a joke? I can't tell).

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
What's HONY? Are you guys mistyping KONY??

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Humans of New York, a tumblr/photoblog thing where a guy takes portraits of people in NYC and posts a 2 sentence bio they told him.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Humans Of New York

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I dunno, I mean, maybe I just haven't looked into it enough but it never really struck me as someone going for the pinnacle of photography or high art, just some dude doing what he wants to do and meeting people. Unless I'm missing some drama where he tries to make it more than what it is, I can't really get my hackles raised over it. Sure, it's populist, and no, it's not groundbreaking, but it's decent enough and it did raise a shitton of money for that school and principal

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
It's my birthday :toot: and I got the most awesome birthday present from my girlfriend.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

:ironicat:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
excited for 365 Nog Hogger's new reaction to HONY series

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That present is the best. Please tell me there's an entire series of Photo League baseball cards out there. :allears:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

try it with a lime posted:

That present is the best. Please tell me there's an entire series of Photo League baseball cards out there. :allears:

Yep! http://www.vincentborrelli.com/page...et-of-135-cards

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

dakana posted:

I dunno, I mean, maybe I just haven't looked into it enough but it never really struck me as someone going for the pinnacle of photography or high art, just some dude doing what he wants to do and meeting people. Unless I'm missing some drama where he tries to make it more than what it is, I can't really get my hackles raised over it. Sure, it's populist, and no, it's not groundbreaking, but it's decent enough and it did raise a shitton of money for that school and principal

The coverage the project is receiving is well out of whack in terms of both the quality of photographic work and the shallowness of the context. I don't have any problems with the guy taking photos and having a chat to his subjects, thats to be commended, it's not easy to photograph/interview strangers. But its very much "THIS is what people are getting excited about? really?!"

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

HAHAHA holy poo poo, Eggleston's not having any of this. I want that card.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Hahah yeah that rules

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

MrBlandAverage posted:

It's my birthday :toot: and I got the most awesome birthday present from my girlfriend.

Best girlfriend.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh has a mini exhibit of giant prints of large format photography (shot on 160VC) set up in one of their "what the hell are we supposed to do with this marginally useful and very low traffic space" spaces. It's really nice work that shows a slice of the creation of their current dinosaur exhibit. Unfortunately, they couldn't be bothered to credit the photographer.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Spedman posted:

The coverage the project is receiving is well out of whack in terms of both the quality of photographic work and the shallowness of the context. I don't have any problems with the guy taking photos and having a chat to his subjects, thats to be commended, it's not easy to photograph/interview strangers. But its very much "THIS is what people are getting excited about? really?!"

I say that about everything I don't like that's popular.

Apparently people like it. Oh well.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Anna Atkins is the Google person of the day, apparently the first person to create a photobook, and possibly the first woman to take a photograph. She was hella into cyanotypes which were used to create images of algae for her first book.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Atkins

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

She uses his race against him several times.

Why might it be problematic for a white man to attempt to "catalog" the population of one of the most diverse cities on earth and present it as a definitive representation of their life experiences through templated portraits and a 2-sentence blurb? His race is extremely relevant to his work and how he creates and presents it. Plus there's the casual racism in his photo comments that is kind of a big deal.

Anyway, that article is verbose and borders on obnoxious at points, but its overall point is dead on.

e: Nevermind, finished the article and it was just front-loaded in the first paragraph or two with unnecessary words but once it settles into making its point it relaxes on that and is really really good.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 17, 2015

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Why might it be problematic for a white man to attempt to "catalog" the population of one of the most diverse cities on earth and present it as a definitive representation of their life experiences through templated portraits and a 2-sentence blurb? His race is extremely relevant to his work and how he creates and presents it. Plus there's the casual racism in his photo comments that is kind of a big deal.
It's not, actually.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's not, actually.

Compelling argument.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I don't understand what race he could be and not face the same criticism. The portrait and the blurb is the format he's chosen, and regardless of whether I care for it or not, I really don't see what being white has to do with it. Does the race of the photographer have to match the subject, or does it just have to be something other than white? I realize that last question may have come off as sarcastic, but it's genuine. The vibe I'm getting is that HONY is less okay because he's white than if he were another race or if he were less brief. I think he just subscribes to the philosophy, "Brevity is the soul of white."

Also, please link to the casual racism. I don't really read HONY and I'm not sure what you're referring to.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

oh man, just wait until people find out Patrick Joust is white.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Pukestain Pal posted:

oh man, just wait until people find out Patrick Joust is white.

Your point being?

Patrick Joust seems like a cool guy from the interviews and my brief interactions with him.
He also doesn't whitewash his photography as "humanising portrait of a city and its citizenry" or any poo poo like that.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There's apparently a big coronal mass ejection splattering itself all over the upper atmosphere right now. I'll be heading out after supper to try to get some aurora photos.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

There's apparently a big coronal mass ejection splattering itself all over the upper atmosphere right now. I'll be heading out after supper to try to get some aurora photos.

don't disappoint us

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pukestain Pal posted:

don't disappoint us

Aurora Borealis 8 by Execudork, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Daaaaaaaaaaaamnnn

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

:captainpop:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I went out tonight with my tripod and tried taking pictures but they were pretty much all poo poo, unlike that... Goddamn.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

RIP Paul C Buff, gonna color cast everything magenta as gently caress in remembrance.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Looks like the assassins finally got to him.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Well, this explains why my order has taken forever to process. I'm gonna miss that crazy conservative gently caress. He produced some of the best surf albums ever, and his photo equipment is pretty god drat good for the price.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Shot a private concert tonight at an event venue that I contract for. Then this happened.

I got paid to do this. Being a photographer rules.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My new phone has a setting to save the raw image file. Whaaaaat... Is this common?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shot a private concert tonight at an event venue that I contract for. Then this happened.

drat that loving rules

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
so i got into both SFAI and CCA

SFAI awarded me their $6000/semester renewable, competetive "Visionary Scholarship", and CCA awarded me their $6000/semester, renewable, maybe competetive "Faculty Honors Scholarship"

SFAI has a new media program, CCA doesn't. SFAI's photography department was founded by Ansel Adams, CCA's wasn't. Living in SF is loving Expensive, living in Oakland is just Expensive.

help what do

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Live in Oakland California and channel your inner gangsta white boy into your photography.
But seriously, think about which of the two will present you with better connections and networking opportunities.
If both arts programs are equally good, go to the one that is a bit cheaper to live and has a better arts scene outside of school.

It's also possible that I know nothing about this and I'm talking out of my rear end.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Like HDR? Have I got the video for you!

http://www.thefader.com/2015/04/01/rich-homie-quan-masters-the-quan-dance-in-flex-ooh-ooh-ooh-video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's me, i'm the bottle of gatorade in the cupholder