Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

woah there Jimmy

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Being good doesn't pay, Jimmy.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

:smith:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

:smithicide:

Keep on keeping on Jimmy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That was a good fuckin' piece of TV.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

GamingHyena posted:

He's the county treasurer. Probably gets paid a decent upper middle class salary, but hardly mansion money.

Mid housing bubble, That's definitely mansion money.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PotatoJudge posted:

I want that microphone. It is perfect for so many situations.

It felt to me like a slightly more subtle old-folks' attention-grabber which accessorized the Matlock look: it's similar to the mic Bob Barker used when he hosted The Price is Right.

Seeing as this takes place in 2002, Barker would've still been host.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Data Graham posted:

That was a good fuckin' piece of TV.

No kidding. I really didn't expect to love it this much but I'm loving it this much.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I love that Jimmy turns to 'electricity' right before 'embezzlement'.

Hopefully they will have plenty more Mike scenes, that plan was so dumb but then so too are the Kettlemans.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Seemed like a solid plan to me, I could even see season 1 or 2 Walt falling for it.

Jimmy was so close to having an actual British lady receptionist :qq:. I felt for him too, he doesn't even manage a high-rise office as Saul.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

NowonSA posted:

Seemed like a solid plan to me, I could even see season 1 or 2 Walt falling for it.

Jimmy was so close to having an actual British lady receptionist :qq:. I felt for him too, he doesn't even manage a high-rise office as Saul.

I imagine that was part of the cover, I mean he had to be making crazy money through Walt but it never really said what he did with it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

NowonSA posted:

I think as Saul, when he was making 5% of 80 million on top of plenty of other business(enough to have his face on "every billboard in town"), that was entirely due to his personal branding as an everyman.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

gently caress YOU KETTLEMANS. :thurman:

God drat, they were still grasping at straws even when it was too late. The cruise up Denial River finally ground to a halt.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I love Jimmy's schmoozy scenes in the nursing home, and got a chuckle out of the custom Bingo boards. And the old lady with her cats named after The Odd Couple :3:

Now I just want to imagine in his bleak Cinnabon existence, he goes and calls Bingo at the local old folks' home, and that's the only thing that still brings him joy.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

GamingHyena posted:

Tune Down by Chris Joss, apparently.

Thanks for this, picked it up. What a groovy tune.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

LadyPictureShow posted:

I love Jimmy's schmoozy scenes in the nursing home, and got a chuckle out of the custom Bingo boards. And the old lady with her cats named after The Odd Couple :3:

Now I just want to imagine in his bleak Cinnabon existence, he goes and calls Bingo at the local old folks' home, and that's the only thing that still brings him joy.

Ffffuuu, I missed whatever the gag was with the bingo cards. Oh well, good thing they run an immediate repeat!

I love how he just kept up the charming patter during the bingo call with no sign of flagging. It's his natural niche—either bingo caller, auctioneer, or lawyer.

E: Oh, of course, they've all got his face on them. :allears:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, I get that he's smart enough to not flaunt the money, he probably owned like 3 nail salons or something. I was also just reminded of how in Breaking Bad there's a scene in Walt's big ol' Meth cooking montage (508 I believe) where Saul is just casually taking a huge duffel bag of money with one hand while he's got a drink in the other, and here Jimmy is gobsmacked by seeing all that money in one place despite seeing it before in the Kettletent.

I also love how much this episode was about choices.

Kim can stay at HHM and maybe eventually make partner, but probably not with how much of a dick Hamlin is. Still, she feels that she owes them (and does in fact literally owe them) and there are no guarantees if she joins Jimmy's new firm, even though he'd treat her with a ton of respect. Him offering her the bigger office is a great character moment, and shows how much she means to him.

Kettleman's can turn in the money, admit guilt, and do probably about a year with good behavior, or keep living the lie and do 30. Their heads are so screwed up that they can't reach the right decision on their own.

And then there's Jimmy in the middle of it all. He can keep the money and defend the Kettleman's. They'd go to jail, but it's unlikely that they would implicate him as long as he defended them for free and made them his major focus for the duration. There's an element of risk, but Jimmy can spin whatever story he wants and is in the rare case where his word will probably mean more than someone else's. At worst I see him having to return the money, saying that he had been paid for his services but hadn't known it was embezzled funds. I guess maybe the kids could come into it too, but... anyway, the way I see it it's not a big risk to him personally if he defends them. If he defends them, he almost certainly keeps the 30k, buys the office suite, and gets Kim to work for him after this latest "sent to the cornfield" debacle over something that isn't her fault.

OR, Jimmy can do what he did: return the money he was bribed with, re-secure Kim's place at HHM, and lose his chance at what was clearly a major dream for him. Keep in mind that Jimmy's plan is to get that suite before even getting his own apartment or house to live in, I get the feeling he'd be fine living at the Salon and working out of his new office.

I feel Jimmy saving the bikers was definitely a nice thing to do, and went against his own interests because he was risking his life to some degree, but I can't really picture Jimmy sacrificing more for the benefit of others (even the worthless Kettlemans) than he does in this episode. I actually don't want to see him give up more than this, because it'll just make his descent into Saul all the sadder knowing he tried again and again to do "the right thing" and kept getting kicked in the teeth for it.

Anyway, just some thoughts on the episode. It's the best episode so far for me from a character standpoint with lots of moments summing up how each character thinks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gennifer Hutchinson wrote this and Hero, which I think are the two best episodes of the series so far. Each one had a really clever caper in it as well, so I'm hiring her for my Oceans 11 team.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

This show is getting better and better. It's awesome to see how Breaking Bad Saul developed his mindset.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That sequence, while cool, went on way too long unless the next five minutes are non-stop :tviv:.

I'd have been fine with another five minutes of it, provided they looped the music.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I loved the line Kim says about "current political climate". It passed by and it was not until later that I connected that with Enron, Tyco and all the embezzlement scandals. Those happened around the same time right? This makes the Kettlemans even more delusional that they could get away with this. Also, more props to Kim getting a loving awesome deal that the Kettleman's did not deserve.

NowonSA posted:

Kim can stay at HHM and maybe eventually make partner, but probably not with how much of a dick Hamlin is. Still, she feels that she owes them (and does in fact literally owe them) and there are no guarantees if she joins Jimmy's new firm, even though he'd treat her with a ton of respect. Him offering her the bigger office is a great character moment, and shows how much she means to him.

Also, it states that he feels Kim is the better lawyer than himself.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

PassTheRemote posted:

I loved the line Kim says about "current political climate". It passed by and it was not until later that I connected that with Enron, Tyco and all the embezzlement scandals. Those happened around the same time right? This makes the Kettlemans even more delusional that they could get away with this. Also, more props to Kim getting a loving awesome deal that the Kettleman's did not deserve.

Also, it states that he feels Kim is the better lawyer than himself.
This actually made me look up when the Enron scandal happened and holy christ it was October 2001? Like literally a month after 9/11? Jesus Christ, glad I was nine at the time.

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

That scene with Mike and the black light and the music was incredible.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This actually made me look up when the Enron scandal happened and holy christ it was October 2001? Like literally a month after 9/11? Jesus Christ, glad I was nine at the time.

Yeah I was two days from 14 when 9/11 happened (my birthday being on 9/13), and it was trippy as hell to live through. What stuck out to me most was that almost all normal television programming stopped for at least a week and was replaced with news coverage. Also looking back on it, a LOT of news stories completely vanished when 9/11 hit, as big as the Enron news was if it happened on Sept. 7 instead of in October it would have been swept right off the radar.

Good catch on Jimmy thinking Kim's the better lawyer PassTheRemote, I hadn't thought of that but it's absolutely true, both in his mind and in reality. They actually would make a good pair, she could handle the DA's office (though I imagine that's rarely an issue when specializing with Elder Law) and the nuts and bolts of the operation, while Jimmy's off at Bingo halls and being the face of the operation. Kim's definitely a great lawyer for turning "100% guilty of stealing over a million dollars" into "less than two years in county jail."

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Was that the same huge guy with beard walking out of the bathroom while Jimmy was talking on the phone as the one on the WANTED flyer right in the beginning?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Poor Jimmy. He understands the difference between legal and right, and this episode he was always doing the right thing. He could have taken the Kettlemans, and Kim probably would end up in the cornfield and he could convince her to come work for him. Instead, he got the case sent back to his friend so she could get rewarded as she deserves for her work with the DA on that case.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

DaNzA posted:

Was that the same huge guy with beard walking out of the bathroom while Jimmy was talking on the phone as the one on the WANTED flyer right in the beginning?

No clue, but when I noticed the huge guy in the background, I got a little excited we might be getting a Huell cameo for a hot second.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

DaNzA posted:

I thought the same, so, probably?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh Jimmy. I love what you did with the Kettlemens but I can't help but wonder what Saul would have done.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

an skeleton posted:

I thought the same, so, probably?

Thirded, I tried to look at all the posters for easter eggs and definitely remember a fat long-goatee'd guy in there.

I'm really impressed with how this show has defied expectations. We probably all thought (and I believe it was in fact the original premise) that this would be some episodic wacky client of the week thing where Jimmy would get beat down by all the 'real lawyers' but then pull some Saul magic out of his rear end in the 4th act and win the case. Kind of like actual Matlock now that I think about it :stonklol:

I was fully expecting this to happen since the beginning with the Kettlemans, they even tried to blackmail Jimmy into doing just that, but nope Jimmy turns right instead of left and the show is that much more interesting and satisfying because of it. This's good TV folks.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Bye bye new office space! At least he'll have a clear conscience, though.

Not for very long I assume. But his descent from Jimmy to Saul will be anything but linear if this episode is any indication. Not surprising it's already signed on for a second season. There's a lot more story to tell.

That oh-poo poo moment with the Kettlemans when Jimmy suggests they check their hiding place, the breakdown that follows, ultimately resulting in the defeated Kettlemans returning to Kim... that rivals Mike's flashback in the previous episode. It's powerful and ends on a painfully depressing note.

I'm enjoying this more than Breaking Bad's first season. Less predictable, more to think about.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

NowonSA posted:

I also love how much this episode was about choices.

There's a parallel being drawn between Mr Kettleman and Jimmy in their choices; both are giving up what they want, instead choosing what benefits someone else the most. Mr Kettleman is finally convinced to admit guilt because it will be the best for their children. Jimmy gives up his dream of having Kim under his roof, which is what he wanted for himself, and does what's best for her career instead.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 17, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Tellin Mrs. Kettleman exonerate is a big word in her case is funny in more ways than one.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

Oh Jimmy. I love what you did with the Kettlemens but I can't help but wonder what Saul would have done.

Had the Kettlemans killed after Mike got the money out?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

How did walt get those guys in prison murdered after mike dies? Did he issue those orders through saul? If not I don't think saul ever got anyone killed or would push that as the main idea. I liked what someone else said maybe twenty pages ago how every time he suggested someone else gets killed it was to rule that out and remind him that if you're not going to do A then you have to start thinking about B.

Even when he asked, on his knees, in the desert "why don't you just kill badger" it was only exasperatedly wondering why he's being dragged into this.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Walt went through the nazis.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God that was great, and amongst all the great parts I just want to note how hilarious it was when Kim revealed HOW Mr. Kettleman embezzled the money - just straight up writing fraudulent checks to HIMSELF for things that demonstrably never existed.

If only there had been a paintball business he could have filtered that money through....

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Krinkle posted:

How did walt get those guys in prison murdered after mike dies? Did he issue those orders through saul?

That was the introduction of Jack. That prison murder rampage caused Todd's Nazi uncle to get into the mix and we all know how that turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Right so Saul isn't the kind of guy to say "lets kill people and take their money" he much prefers to take a percentage for legitimate looking things. It's weird to say jimmy would force the kettlemens to do the right thing but Saul would have them murdered.

• Locked thread