Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Nordick posted:

My main problem with torpedoes is that I just keep underestimating the amount I need to lead the target.

If grinding out the 'Sea-Hunter' title in War Thunder taught me anything, it's that you have to wait until you can see the whites of their eyes before you drop your torpedoes. I can't wait to try out some carrier gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Mazz posted:

Was there any benefits of being a WoT beta tester or anything?

you got a Valentine
which was available for everyone else just a couple of weeks later

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Last night the torpedo lead indicator was explained to me. Today I had 2 games, the first in which I sank a battleship and then a carrier and the second in which I had 4 kills. Now that I have an idea of where to aim torpedoes own.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Teron D Amun posted:

you got a Valentine

Yeah I should've clarified, I mean did long time WoT accounts have any benefits for WoWS beta access. My WoT account is old enough I have PMs from Overlord.

I assume no though.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Honestly it feels like i got more kills before knowing about the indicator than after....

Maybe I just suck at ships

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I guess I had way too much torpedo time in Navy Field, because I never even thought to use the indicator. I'm not exactly the torp-snipe champion, but considering I've played less than six hours in a DD, I've got pretty good accuracy going on.

It doesn't even bother me that my torps can be hit or miss at long range, because so are my guns. I want to say there shouldn't be an indicator, but it's of such dubious worth that it's hard to care, especially when DDs already get clowned all the time.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Teron D Amun posted:

you got a Valentine

Closed beta players got a 75mm tier 5 Sherman with a lovely Diesel engine, alpha testers a KV-220 but iirc that was in Russia only.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mazz posted:

Was there any benefits of being a WoT beta tester or anything?

sauer kraut posted:

Closed beta players got a 75mm tier 5 Sherman with a lovely Diesel engine, alpha testers a KV-220 but iirc that was in Russia only.

NA Tanks alpha testers got a Panzer V/IV Alpha, which was identical to the Panzer V/IV from the medium pre-order apart from the name and an A on the side; now I think the Alpha also lacks the turret schurzen, but I've not seen one in forever to say for certain. I think I was one of the few people who got the medium preorder, most goons got the large preorder with the infinitely more useful M6A2E1 'Clownshoe' - the Panzer V/IV is more or less worthless outside of being a collectors item.

NA closed beta testers who played 1000+ beta battles got the M4A2E4 which many immediately sold, but I kept because I never sell a gift/premium. It's a serviceable tank.

I was a Warplanes alpha tester, and I think I managed to get the alpha reward plane, which was the Me.210, while closed beta testers got the XP-77 and open beta testers got a Pegasus. Wargaming hosed up my alpha status several times so I may not actually have any of those planes, but since I haven't logged in more than 5 times after the game went live due to it having awful, awful flight controls, I don't care all that much (and don't know how good any of them are)

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 17, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I feel like I'm doing CVs wrong because I always manage to miss with my manually aimed torps that I've stopped and just gone back to auto-attacking with them. Thankfully most people seem really bad at dodging torps.

NTRabbit posted:

NA closed beta testers who played 1000+ beta battles got the M4A2E4 which many immediately sold, but I kept because I never sell a gift/premium. It's a serviceable tank.
They only counted post-wipe games (there was a soft wipe when they introduced the Jagdtiger where they wiped all stats but you kept all your accumulated XP as free XP) though so I never got my crappy rear end tank, since I played a poo poo-ton and then burned out before then. :mad:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Q_res posted:

That password is usually posted in the not-publically-viewable subforum for a reason...

Games is Register only currently, so it should be fine for now.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Kill me.

Two of our battleships decided destroyer alley was a good place to go and promptly got crushed by enemy torpedoes as i was frantically trying to protect them.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Gamesguy posted:

Because you are very unlikely to hit anything at long range with torps if you don't have indicator. Don't be dumb, DDs are weak enough as it is.

Vengarr posted:

Because unless you can do split-second trig calculations, hitting a target with a torpedo at anything other than point-blank range would just become a matter of luck.

Sounds like a general improvement to gameplay to me

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

BadLlama posted:

This is probably one of the best things I like about this game. Even being a low tier trashcan you are generally just as capable of putting out serious damage as everyone else.

I absolutely wrecked a Kongo last night in my St. Louis for the second time in as many days because bad players underestimate this ship. Watching it haplessly try to maneuver into position, waiting for a 20+ second reload.. missing then getting beat down by your support because of target fixation is satisfying even if you die in the exchange. A Kongo for a St.Lou in match where I am lower tier and they need the firepower.. fair trade.

I survived, he didn't.. while he was turning about to engage me one of our DD's popped out and nuked him at close range. #glug

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

demonR6 posted:

I absolutely wrecked a Kongo last night in my St. Louis for the second time in as many days because bad players underestimate this ship. Watching it haplessly try to maneuver into position, waiting for a 20+ second reload.. missing then getting beat down by your support because of target fixation is satisfying even if you die in the exchange. A Kongo for a St.Lou in match where I am lower tier and they need the firepower.. fair trade.

I survived, he didn't.. while he was turning about to engage me one of our DD's popped out and nuked him at close range. #glug

I spent an entire round last night skirting the edge of a Cleveland's range in my Phoenix, supporting my BBs while he tried to get me, then later on in the round he switched over to my BBs and I moved in and scored a bunch of edge-of-range hits including the killing blow for the victory. :feelsgood:

Clevelands are seriously terrifying when you're in a Phoenix/Omaha

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The Cleveland is just insanely good all around.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Clevelands are terrifying in general. I would rather stay far away from them and just let the bb's get gunned gun them down for me

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
So I assume the cruiser AA "special" is supposed to show up from the get go at the moment much like smoke screen and the hitpoint repair for BBs? Is it better to get the Defensive Fire commander skill or sixth sense?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

plehsistential posted:

So I assume the cruiser AA "special" is supposed to show up from the get go at the moment much like smoke screen and the hitpoint repair for BBs? Is it better to get the Defensive Fire commander skill or sixth sense?

A dozen white streaks rising into the air in the distance and heading your general direction is a pretty good non-point using substitute for sixth sense

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah the detection skill seems pretty dumb considering there's giant waves of gunfire coming from enemy ships.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
That's more or less what I figured re: sixth sense being pretty lovely here. I guess I wasn't sure if the defensive fire trait unlocks the skill for me to use on cruisers or if it just passively augments it. Gonna get it anyways.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Fart Car '97 posted:

I spent an entire round last night skirting the edge of a Cleveland's range in my Phoenix, supporting my BBs while he tried to get me, then later on in the round he switched over to my BBs and I moved in and scored a bunch of edge-of-range hits including the killing blow for the victory. :feelsgood:

Clevelands are seriously terrifying when you're in a Phoenix/Omaha

Last night I got 3 citadel hits in one volley on a Phoenix in my Cleveland. One could probably take on two Phoenixes or Omahas in a Cleveland without really worrying. If they close to torp range, the Cleveland driver has to worry, but that also puts the Phoneix or Omaha in range of murderous secondaries. Pensacola, especially stock, looks like it is going to be a let down.

Also, great advice on focusing on enemy DD's when playing a DD at the start of the match. I couldn't save a Myogi who charged up torpedo alley unsupported, but was able to help knock out the enemy DD and when he was done, slip back and torp kill a Langley.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
American destroyers loving murder other destroyers, they're stupidly good at it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

That's because Japanese destroyers have lovely guns that turn like battleship turrets, the only good part about my Clemson is the weight of HE it can sling to set things on fire.

Also I came up with a second US battleship branch while the server was down, but sadly it'll never happen: Virginia-class -> Delaware-class -> Lexington (1920)-class -> CA-2 class (a 19,000t 3x2 gunned Alaska) -> Alaska-class -> CA-2D class (a 39,000t 4x3 gunned Alaska) -> North Carolina-class -> Iowa-class, thanks for indulging back to Phoenix time.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Vengarr posted:

The problem with the torpedo lead indicator is that it assumes consistent speed and heading. Which hey, sometimes guys are just cruising along unsuspecting and its great. You'll hit them with all your torps and sink them. But if they're taking evasive action, the indicator won't help you.

And you should always be taking some kind of evasive action. Even something as simple as constantly switching between full speed and 3/4ths makes a huge difference. On ships with lots of giddyup, you can go from full to 1/2 to 3/4ths to 1/2 to full and just gently caress with everyones' shot timing. Plus, rather than going directly parallel to the target you should angle your ship a bit so you're either headed towards or away from them--that added dimension makes it even harder to hit.

Unless I need to get somewhere NOW at top speed, I'm always loving with my speeds and directions. It increases survivability by an impressive amount.

The best position in a gun duel is either heading as close to directly away from the enemy or directly at the enemy as you can get, and using the range control this offers to keep in the region where your belt armor is what's in danger of getting penetrated. First, angling like that makes it really hard to penetrate you, and second, enemies that are quartering are tricky targets that can get much more reliable dodging results when weaving. If your side is flat to the enemy, a miss short or long means they'll hit you regardless. Quartering makes it way harder to get lucky hits. Especially in heavy cruisers, which are basically tissue paper to heavy cruiser guns, you want to be doing everything you can to deny citadel hits. Use your nose or stern to shield your vitals unless actively firing.

The torp lead indicator is a good basis for guessing torp shots, but any evasive action makes it a guessing game. Considering ships can just sail the hell away and fire over their shoulders, destroyers are mainly threatening to bad players and people caught by surprise.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NTRabbit posted:

the only good part about my Clemson is the weight of HE it can sling to set things on fire.

You uh, don't really get this game do you.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hopterque posted:

You uh, don't really get this game do you.

The Clemson has poor camo, average agility and poo poo torpedoes, what is there possibly to like about it other than the twin turrets that came with the hull upgrade?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Jesus man I know being wrong about everything is like, your gimmick and all, but this is a bit much.

You have torp tubes mounted along both sides of your ship. I shouldn't need to tell you what to do with this.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

rossmum posted:

Jesus man I know being wrong about everything is like, your gimmick and all, but this is a bit much.

You have torp tubes mounted along both sides of your ship. I shouldn't need to tell you what to do with this.

Yes, two launchers a side, fantastic, pity the weapons inside the tubes are crap. 11k damage, 56kts and a paltry 5.5km range puts you inside secondary battery range of anything worth shooting at, so at least being that close means you're likely to actually connect with enough of them to sink what you're shooting at, sometimes even before the Clemson sinks.

Same tier Isokaze gets a workable 7km and 68kts with 14.4k damage, even if you get to fire less per salvo

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 17, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NTRabbit posted:

The Clemson has poor camo, average agility and poo poo torpedoes, what is there possibly to like about it other than the twin turrets that came with the hull upgrade?

It's funny because you're consistently wrong about pretty much everything, from "don't get shot at" being bad advice (it isn't, it means don't put yourself in a position where you're gonna get shot, let other people do that), you're wrong about battleships being unkillable god monsters that are way super overpowered and the greatest (they're good to very good depending on the ship, but they have definite weaknesses and aren't even close to overpowered), and now you apparently don't get how to play US destroyers.

Hint: They have really good guns, can double down on torpedoes, and are also really fast. The Nicholas (tier 5) can do like 38 knots, and the clemson is about that as well. Hunt down puny weakling japanese destroyers that almost everyone is playing, vomit massive double torp salvos at anything larger, be fast and annoying.

e: Meanwhile, the japanese destroyers can: fire fewer slightly better torpedoes and get absolutely loving wrecked if they have to fight anything with their guns.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hopterque posted:

vomit massive double torp salvos at anything larger

I refer you to the above, where the torpedoes the Clemson carries are bad and cause you to take massive damage just in the act of firing them at a target inside their range.

The only thing the Clemson is good at is shooting gun at destroyers and light cruisers which, shockingly, is the only thing to like about the ship. This is simple reading comprehension.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Shooting destroyers in my Cleveland is the funniest thing ever. Fast enough to outmaneuver torps, enough firepower to kill them in two salvos.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NTRabbit posted:

I refer you to the above, where the torpedoes the Clemson carries are bad and cause you to take massive damage just in the act of firing them at a target inside their range.

The only thing the Clemson is good at is shooting gun at destroyers and light cruisers which, shockingly, is the only thing to like about the ship. This is simple reading comprehension.

You know you can like, fire torpedoes at where people are travelling, right? You don't actually have to fire them from within 5.5 km of where they are when you fire. Also, not even battleship secondaries have a enough range to start hitting people more than like 4 -4.5 km away until t7, and by then the american cruisers have better torpedoes!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Saint Celestine posted:

Shooting destroyers in my Cleveland is the funniest thing ever. Fast enough to outmaneuver torps, enough firepower to kill them in two salvos.

The cleveland is basically distilled destroyer death.

Also enemy cruiser death, and battleship death, to be honest. It's so, so good.

e: woops, poo poo, double posting, my bad.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hopterque posted:

You know you can like, fire torpedoes at where people are travelling, right? You don't actually have to fire them from within 5.5 km of where they are when you fire. Also, not even battleship secondaries have a enough range to start hitting people more than like 4 -4.5 km away until t7, and by then the american cruisers have better torpedoes!

With the skill the Kongo at tier 5 reaches 4.8km, which is close enough given the speed and rate of turn of vehicles this large.

You're right, American torpedoes do get better - at tier 7, where they push out to 6.8km, matched by the 6km secondary range on the Nagato. Only the American tier 8-10 destroyers can actually safely launch torpedoes outside battleship secondary range and still reliably hit. At tier 4-6 their torpedoes are dregs, and if not for the good guns they'd be completely useless.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I don't think that saying that 5,5 km range torpedoes are bad should be a controversial statement.

Also Kongos and Fusos have 5,6 km secondary range. Unless you actually want to test if they're running the modernization and skill or not. That could backfire. Still, as the players are right now they probably aren't.

Prav fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 17, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Prav posted:

I don't think that saying that 5,5 km range torpedoes are bad should be a controversial statement.

They are bad, they're just not as bad as people are making them out to be. Are they worse than the IJN destroyer torps? Of course. However, the US destroyers have many, many other benefits and also the ability to launch double salvos up to tier 5 is really really good. Japanese destroyers have better torpedoes, but have half the amount US destroyers do (up to tier 5), while also having terrible guns, slightly less HP, and they're also not as fast.

Also, I've only run into someone who has the secondary skills and modules only once or twice, and even then you can afford to take a couple thousand points of damage or even half your health if it means you can destroy an equal tier or better battleship in your destroyer. Running through the secondary gun gauntlet for a few seconds isn't going to kill you unless you're really really extremely unlucky, and even then that will only happen very rarely.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, two launchers a side, fantastic, pity the weapons inside the tubes are crap. 11k damage, 56kts and a paltry 5.5km range puts you inside secondary battery range of anything worth shooting at, so at least being that close means you're likely to actually connect with enough of them to sink what you're shooting at, sometimes even before the Clemson sinks.

Same tier Isokaze gets a workable 7km and 68kts with 14.4k damage, even if you get to fire less per salvo

How do you DD drivers even get hit by secondaries, my secondaries gunners are hard put to land 1 out of every 6 shots on a heavy cruiser. I feel like my secondaries would never manage to kill a DD unless he drove up to 2 km came to a dead stop and waited 5 minuets.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Hagop posted:

How do you DD drivers even get hit by secondaries, my secondaries gunners are hard put to land 1 out of every 6 shots on a heavy cruiser. I feel like my secondaries would never manage to kill a DD unless he drove up to 2 km came to a dead stop and waited 5 minuets.

Yeah 99% of the time you take a smattering of fire and might lose one or two thousand hit points at worst, in exchange for righteously murdering some fat battleship with like 12 torpedoes. Like my secondaries will kill destroyers if they try to like run up along side me and stay there or something dumb but anyone who darts in and peels off usually comes out on top of that exchange.

e: Also most secondaries are broadside guns, if you come in from angles you can avoid like 80% of the secondary fire completely because they can't angle to shoot you.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 17, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hagop posted:

How do you DD drivers even get hit by secondaries

How do you not? I've seen a DD explode in three seconday salvos from a Kongo, and my Clemson will routinely take 1/3 to 1/2 hp damage in a single pass on a Kongo or Fuso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NTRabbit posted:

I've seen a DD explode in three seconday salvos from a Kongo,

"I watched a destroyer drive up to a battleship's broadside and try and fight him there for like 15 seconds and he got owned by secondaries, therefore they are really good and destroyers suck!"

Instead of just going "no they're wrong american destroyers are garbage!" maybe try listening to all the people talking about how good and fun they are and figure out what the rest of us are doing that you aren't.

Same thing with Cruisers, really. Cruisers are really, really loving good all around ships. The only one I've played that I didn't really like a lot was the Kuma, and I'm up to tier 6 in both trees with them.