Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Fans posted:

That's right. Apparently in Cities Skylines farms are only of the cotton picking variety and there is no heavy industrial farming equipment.

Hey, mills and grain silos can loving EXPLODE, if that's not industrial I don't know what is :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

Or the author is from the Commonwealth.

Huh. I'd expect the game to reverse directions if you unchecked left-side driving if a map was created in it. Oh well.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

drunkill posted:

Huh. I'd expect the game to reverse directions if you unchecked left-side driving if a map was created in it. Oh well.

It does, they just placed the roads wrong in the first place, so they revert incorrectly.

This map is the best thing ever and I love it. :kimchi:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

simosimo posted:

Dragonborn population : 1

I'll probably make it into some kind of unique building or something instead of a growable house. It fits alright and it'll fit better with some tweaks, but it still looks pretty special-interest.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.

Mills posted:

Downloaded a Hong Kong map and spent 2 hours trying to get the bloody highways right.

Sounds about right.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409073164&searchtext=

:catstare:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

This was mentioned a couple of pages back AND DESERVES WAY MORE ATTENTION!

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

WMain00 posted:

Now we just need elevated stations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

WMain00 posted:

I DIDNT READ THE ENTIRE THREAD SO SORRY BUT I AGREE

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I made my first 3D model in Sketchup - pretty cool!

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 17, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dammit I just realized that the four lane roads were causing a lot of my traffic issues. The divider in the middle prevents traffic from buildings on the sides from going in the wrong direction so they have to go all the way to the end of the road. With a six or two lane road, they can just cross and be on their way!

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

Sadly, it has fixed most of my congestion issues except for one small segment near the top where there's a HUGE pileup of cars that don't seems to want to use any new exits and it's not level enough to put any new type of interchange in its place

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This game is really easy if you don't care about aesthetics or realistically navigable roadways.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

simosimo posted:

I made my first 3D model in Sketchup - pretty cool!

Now make AE an industrial factory.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

SketchUp is a disaster zone, which is annoying as 3D Warehouse has probably the most amount of freely available models. It's a pity though that drat near all of them have serious issues in modelling and texturing that usually results in the model just straight up failing to export properly.

I don't like Blender at all; there's a good reason its free. For starters its literally opposite world compared to all other 3d modelling tools out there - left is right, up is down. It creates seriously bad habits in modelling that become difficult to break out of.

3DS Max is good but it can be pretty daunting, although for simple game models it might not be so bad? The worst aspect seems to be texture mapping.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Dammit I just realized that the four lane roads were causing a lot of my traffic issues. The divider in the middle prevents traffic from buildings on the sides from going in the wrong direction so they have to go all the way to the end of the road. With a six or two lane road, they can just cross and be on their way!

It's kinda disappointing that avenues of any kind are a useless gimmick at this point which makes traffic worse 90% of the time unless you specially careplace it in a specific gamey way.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I just want something like second life where you drag shapes, and assign textures (from your PC, in a folder). I can deal with tiling, and X + Y co-ordinates for texture offsetting. That thing I whipped up in about 10 minutes and was pretty straight forward, no idea how I get that into the game though [if I even can directly from Sketchup].

Thankfully buildings and city stuff can be low poly, and with good texture work I can hopefully get away with a lot of stuff. I'm thinking of making dumb small stuff anyways.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Can we please get a radical Larry ploppable statue

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

WMain00 posted:

SketchUp is a disaster zone, which is annoying as 3D Warehouse has probably the most amount of freely available models. It's a pity though that drat near all of them have serious issues in modelling and texturing that usually results in the model just straight up failing to export properly.

I don't like Blender at all; there's a good reason its free. For starters its literally opposite world compared to all other 3d modelling tools out there - left is right, up is down. It creates seriously bad habits in modelling that become difficult to break out of.

3DS Max is good but it can be pretty daunting, although for simple game models it might not be so bad? The worst aspect seems to be texture mapping.

I used to use Blender and Max in tandem before they semi-fixed half the exporters and made them vaguely functional :shrug:

E: also my speciality is normally 2D environments so anything that saves me time is an absolute good.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

simosimo posted:

I just want something like second life where you drag shapes, and assign textures (from your PC, in a folder). I can deal with tiling, and X + Y co-ordinates for texture offsetting. That thing I whipped up in about 10 minutes and was pretty straight forward, no idea how I get that into the game though [if I even can directly from Sketchup].

Thankfully buildings and city stuff can be low poly, and with good texture work I can hopefully get away with a lot of stuff. I'm thinking of making dumb small stuff anyways.

You should be able to - SketchUp has an export fbx option.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Someone teach me about elevated pedestrian walkways. I get that they need to touch ground near popular destinations, but should I just guess where these idiots are going?

Also it seems super tough to build a real system with the big where any connection deletes on half of the walkway.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Is there anything I can do to stop 300 trains getting backed up all along the tracks?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Build a rail interchange?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

The Mantis posted:

Someone teach me about elevated pedestrian walkways. I get that they need to touch ground near popular destinations, but should I just guess where these idiots are going?

Just take them over roads that don't have pedestrian crosses. They can work out their own poo poo from there.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Shots fired

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Noyemi K posted:

I used to use Blender and Max in tandem before they semi-fixed half the exporters and made them vaguely functional :shrug:

E: also my speciality is normally 2D environments so anything that saves me time is an absolute good.

I'm just bitter because i'm getting nowhere importing a football stadium.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I use the same tools to draw my textures' details as I use to make 2D and isometric games.

It's great :getin: I'm starting to remember why I used to enjoy modeling.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

rt4 posted:

Build a rail interchange?

I've tried that, they just turn into them and cause a new pileup.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Noyemi K posted:

I use the same tools to draw my textures' details as I use to make 2D and isometric games.

It's great :getin: I'm starting to remember why I used to enjoy modeling.

The only good modelling render I did was this:

Which I then redid to remove the fuzziness a bit.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

saucepanman posted:

I've tried that, they just turn into them and cause a new pileup.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Post pics!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drunkill posted:

In my experience it can be inconsistent when it comes to highways.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah, I made a intersection in the asset editor and dropped that into my city which was LHD and every thing was kind of higgledy-piggledy.

Just because we never got conquered by Napoleon.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

simosimo posted:

Shots fired

:golfclap:

Bravo!

Also, holy hell, I crawled into this game on launch and I've been playing it every free moment since.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
(Pro)Click for pretty:
https://gfycat.com/MediumTerribleHairstreakbutterfly
Also, rail under road option someone was able to make. Apparently it looks like crap from the sides but trees can always hide it, looks better than a road bridge over it though.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The poop dam will never stop being funny

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

And my unique building is done! Only one can be placed per city, unlike some of the other custom uniques. It actually has a thumbnail in the menu (for some reason this feature doesn't work on other asset types).

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Can "world" run out of raw materials? My industry is dying because no one can get raw materials. My industry area is next to a highway, has 2 cargo depots and no congestion anywhere. Should I start producing my own wood & food or what :/

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

simosimo posted:

Shots fired

I'm saving all of these, I am so using them.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

While the soundtrack for this isn't too bad, I think Sim City 3000 and 4 still hold the title for best city building music.

I'd pay top dollar for a Jerry Martin-composed music pack!

Speaking of which, anyone looked into a custom music mod? I'd like custom music so it's integrated with the gameplay rather than just having a playlist running in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Of course there are idiots on the Paradox forums who are complaining that this game is worse than SC 2013 because it's not totally perfect yet.