Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

2008 called, they want their legislation proposals back

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

I bet everyone at whirlpool and OCAU is glad that we voted Conroy's party out.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Labor will probably vote it through. If I wasn't a goon that'd probably be the moment I'd quit in an alternate timeline.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

It's not even a filter aimed to stop anything but Foxtel losing their precious profits. Rupert's crying poor and the LNP government must dance like the puppets they are to please their lord.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Gough Suppressant posted:

surely then you'd just kidnap the executives of any company whose details weren't published.

Or crack open the Forbes list.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

If you look at how Foxtel, RIAA/MIAA and MPAA rally against piracy, it's an interesting contrast to the stance some video game publishers have taken on the matter. Paradox Interactive have come out and said that instead of making the new game Cities: Skylines harder to pirate, they're just going to keep providing post-release updates and content and make it easier for people to access this by simply having a legit copy.

If you look back pre-Steam and other digital distribution models, software piracy for video games was rampant. While it hasn't completely stopped piracy, online distribution has certainly had a major impact in reducing the instances of piracy that do occur.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They thought we were gone.

They called us a "footnote in political history".

But this election, we're back.

And we're keeping the bastards honest.

Goons, I'd like to introduce a new contender for the NSW Upper House for 2015:

Rendall Wagner, from Point Clare on the Central Coast, has signed up for an Upper House ticket along with a dozen other Australian Democrats candidates around the state. The NSW Australian Democrats are firmly behind putting a total kybosh on coal seam gas (exploration as well as fracking), keeping the Libs from starving TAFE of its funding, supporting the growth and development of manufacturing and hi-tech industry, improvement and further development of passenger rail and making the most out of the NBN. In particular, Rendall wants to see more telecommuting, teleconferencing and other work from home initiatives in places like Gosford and Wyong.

Some background for those not familiar with the Dems (especially foreign goons):

Founded in 1977, the Australian Democrats are a nominally centrist (but noticeably left-wing in practice) party devoted to government transparency and accountability (as expressed by the rather colourful slogan "Keep The Bastards Honest"), the absence of corporate or other vested interests in politics, economic justice, social justice and human rights. (Basically, we're the polar opposite of the LNP and ALP, but not as far left as the Greens.) In 1986, Janine Haines took the helm of the Dems to become the first woman in Australia to lead a political party.
Ten years later, things fell apart when Meg "the gays are ruining the party" Lees failed to hold John Howard accountable for introducing tax reforms he said weren't going to happen. The Goods and Services Tax passed the Senate, the Dems as a whole were blamed and despite maintaining a Senate presence right up until 2008, the party's reputation was permanently stained.

In 2012, a near-bankrupt money hungry shitstain by the name of John Davey set up his own faction with the intent of taking over control of the party completely, aided and abetted by the then-president of the NSW state division and some other muckety-mucks in the National Executive (ironically, this all happened shortly after I joined the party). Calling themselves 'RebootD' and claiming their aim was to give the Dems a fresh start, Davey and company laid waste to the party's organizational structure and finances EVE-style, including looting $22,000 from the national bank account and hijacking all the web domains, engaging in some truly bizarre correspondence with the Australian Electoral Commission that nearly cost the party's national registration, seizing control of the official social media accounts and using them to slander and bully the living crap out of anyone who questioned their actions, and holding their own separate national executive meetings where they pretended that the Democrats' national president, Darren Churchill, had resigned. After a concerted effort involving the real NE and the AEC, RebootD was given the flick, but three years later we're still picking up the pieces. Needless to say, it cost us the ability to field candidates for the 2013 federal election.

Fortunately, we've been able to restore the party's functionality enough to get Rendall Wagner and friends on this year's Legislative Council ticket, and hopefully something can be put together for next year's federal election.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

CrazyTolradi posted:

If you look back pre-Steam and other digital distribution models, software piracy for video games was rampant. While it hasn't completely stopped piracy, online distribution has certainly had a major impact in reducing the instances of piracy that do occur.

Anecdote: With the advent of steam my piracy of games has dropped to zero. And I've been doing it since the TRS-80.

Almost to the point that if it isn't on steam, I could nary give a gently caress even to pirate it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I always voted Democrats when they were an available option. Thought they had imploded for good. Good to see you guys are trying to get them back into service!

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MiniSune posted:

Anecdote: With the advent of steam my piracy of games has dropped to zero. And I've been doing it since the TRS-80.

Almost to the point that if it isn't on steam, I could nary give a gently caress even to pirate it.

Sounds like an effective business model to me.

starkebn posted:

I always voted Democrats when they were an available option. Thought they had imploded for good. Good to see you guys are trying to get them back into service!

With a bit of luck, we'll be an available option more often from now on.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Why should someone looking to "protest vote" or "keep the bastards honest" choose the Dems over the Greens?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I wouldn't mind the Dems resurging. Anti GST this time, I hope.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

MiniSune posted:

Also anecdotal, but I'm in the same boat as you. I've pirated ONE game since Steam developed into a major distribution platform and it was an indie game selling for $60 that I deleted anyway because it was crap.

But yeah, the same can be said for my friends too. Steam is a major success story on how to combat copyright infringement in a way that doesn't make it impossible to enjoy something you've purchased and makes it more convenient to access that content. Convenience and appropriate pricing, to a lesser extent, is the best strategy to sell more, who'd have thought it?

Not the RIAA or MPAA. Nah, just stick to the good old days of the late 80's and early 90's when you could gouge a customer and they had no other options because it was VHS or nothing.

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs

thatfatkid posted:

Why should someone looking to "protest vote" or "keep the bastards honest" choose the Dems over the Greens?

I guess if you're pro-liberal capitalism but anti-corruption?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I wouldn't mind more Dem posters in here, it'd spice up the thread so I hope you don't disappear when the election is all said and done.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Oh good, finally people who want to vote for a centre right party but don't like the ALP can be represented again.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

I'm not sure about other states, but from my experience local council elections usually don't have candidates campaigning based on their party. Coming back from Coles this evening, Mith and I noticed an electronic billboard ad for a Labor candidate in the coming Brisbane City Council elections.

Is this a new thing in local government elections or is it just Brisbane catching up with the rest of the country, as usual?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
How do you expect people to take you seriously with your claim of "keeping the bastards honest", when you are the bastards who assisted in passing the GST, and were found to have dishonestly inflated your party membership resulting in deregistration by the AEC?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I think because the ALP mayor candidate is a young energetic lawyer, the campaign teams are getting excited and gearing up. A few former comrades have called him "Council Rudd" on Facebook. I'll wait for an actual public appearance to judge but the ALP are gunning for the BCC after the taste of victory which is no doubt still in their mouths after that crazy ride in Janurary.

Who knows if it's for the better but Quirk has always struck me as a Newman puppet.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Also, gently caress Citicycle.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I think those bastards got replaced with newer, fresher, bastards.

"..the number of babies born to unmarried women has increased by 70% in the past ten years. The survey found that half the bastards are total bastards, one third of the bastards aren't half bastards, but calculating what kind of bastard the bastards left over are proved to be a real bastard. They did find, 40% are lazy bastards, 30% are stupid bastards, 20% are ugly bastards and the top 10% are smug bastards" - Paul McDermott, Good News Week

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gough Suppressant posted:

How do you expect people to take you seriously with your claim of "keeping the bastards honest", when you are the bastards who assisted in passing the GST, and were found to have dishonestly inflated your party membership resulting in deregistration by the AEC?

1. What makes you think the whole party was OK with the GST?

2. That was One Nation. Totally different bunch of bastards.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

I think because the ALP mayor candidate is a young energetic lawyer, the campaign teams are getting excited and gearing up. A few former comrades have called him "Council Rudd" on Facebook. I'll wait for an actual public appearance to judge but the ALP are gunning for the BCC after the taste of victory which is no doubt still in their mouths after that crazy ride in Janurary.

Who knows if it's for the better but Quirk has always struck me as a Newman puppet.

I've only been in Brisbane for 6 years now (6 years too long) and I've only ever known the BCC to a LNP shitfest. I really can't see ALP getting numbers to push them out, but hey, I was wrong about the state election so you never know.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Zetsubou-san posted:

I think those bastards got replaced with newer, fresher, bastards.

"..the number of babies born to unmarried women has increased by 70% in the past ten years. The survey found that half the bastards are total bastards, one third of the bastards aren't half bastards, but calculating what kind of bastard the bastards left over are proved to be a real bastard. They did find, 40% are lazy bastards, 30% are stupid bastards, 20% are ugly bastards and the top 10% are smug bastards" - Paul McDermott, Good News Week

Hey, I have this quote on a Best of Good News Week 1997. It's spectacularly prescient if you look past all the Princess Diana jokes.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

ScreamingLlama posted:

They thought we were gone.

They called us a "footnote in political history".

But this election, we're back.

And we're keeping the bastards honest.

Goons, I'd like to introduce a new contender for the NSW Upper House for 2015:

Rendall Wagner, from Point Clare on the Central Coast, has signed up for an Upper House ticket along with a dozen other Australian Democrats candidates around the state. The NSW Australian Democrats are firmly behind putting a total kybosh on coal seam gas (exploration as well as fracking), keeping the Libs from starving TAFE of its funding, supporting the growth and development of manufacturing and hi-tech industry, improvement and further development of passenger rail and making the most out of the NBN. In particular, Rendall wants to see more telecommuting, teleconferencing and other work from home initiatives in places like Gosford and Wyong.

Some background for those not familiar with the Dems (especially foreign goons):

Founded in 1977, the Australian Democrats are a nominally centrist (but noticeably left-wing in practice) party devoted to government transparency and accountability (as expressed by the rather colourful slogan "Keep The Bastards Honest"), the absence of corporate or other vested interests in politics, economic justice, social justice and human rights. (Basically, we're the polar opposite of the LNP and ALP, but not as far left as the Greens.) In 1986, Janine Haines took the helm of the Dems to become the first woman in Australia to lead a political party.
Ten years later, things fell apart when Meg "the gays are ruining the party" Lees failed to hold John Howard accountable for introducing tax reforms he said weren't going to happen. The Goods and Services Tax passed the Senate, the Dems as a whole were blamed and despite maintaining a Senate presence right up until 2008, the party's reputation was permanently stained.

In 2012, a near-bankrupt money hungry shitstain by the name of John Davey set up his own faction with the intent of taking over control of the party completely, aided and abetted by the then-president of the NSW state division and some other muckety-mucks in the National Executive (ironically, this all happened shortly after I joined the party). Calling themselves 'RebootD' and claiming their aim was to give the Dems a fresh start, Davey and company laid waste to the party's organizational structure and finances EVE-style, including looting $22,000 from the national bank account and hijacking all the web domains, engaging in some truly bizarre correspondence with the Australian Electoral Commission that nearly cost the party's national registration, seizing control of the official social media accounts and using them to slander and bully the living crap out of anyone who questioned their actions, and holding their own separate national executive meetings where they pretended that the Democrats' national president, Darren Churchill, had resigned. After a concerted effort involving the real NE and the AEC, RebootD was given the flick, but three years later we're still picking up the pieces. Needless to say, it cost us the ability to field candidates for the 2013 federal election.

Fortunately, we've been able to restore the party's functionality enough to get Rendall Wagner and friends on this year's Legislative Council ticket, and hopefully something can be put together for next year's federal election.

Hi fronds, pls vote for my party. It is the Democrats, the party that keeps bastards honest. Except for when we passed a horrifically regressive tax against the howls of the entire population. Lol, we didn't even bother to insist that loving tampons and pads not be listed as luxury goods! We have a long and proud history of looking out 4 u. Also you can totally trust us to keep THEM honest, because we have learned our lesson since 2013 and DEFINITELY since last year when we probably got rid of the last of the corrupt bastards in our leadership, I'm p sure iirc. So now we are super double cross our hearts committed to keeping the bastards honest, if by bastards you mean us, and if by honest you mean unelected, because yes, the Democrats are unelectable bastards.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
It's a bit disingenuous to claim the GST was passed to the howls of the entire populace when it was taken to an election and the party doing so formed government. It's still a poo poo tax and the democrats can get hosed forever for passing it.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

ScreamingLlama posted:

1. What makes you think the whole party was OK with the GST?

2. That was One Nation. Totally different bunch of bastards.

1)It is in the minds of most people the single most defining act of the Australian Democrats. You can't try to resurrect the name of a party and trade on don chipp's catchphrases for some easy notoriety without also being linked to that.

2) Nope, the party claimed it had well above the threshold for registration, the AEC reckoned you were lying and what do you know, turns out you were.

If you are claiming this incarnation to be a fresh face and has no institutional memory of those things then it sure as gently caress has no connection to any of the far more distant virtues you're laying claim to.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
All this talk of change from the old parties when we all know the new two-party system is pup and amep. I trust Muir to be a friend of the worker, Palmer the friend of capital. Only the Greens and One Nation have stayed true to their founding principles.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

thatfatkid posted:

ScreamingLlama please address this i'm genuinely interested, as right now when i think of the Dems i picture a socially-liberal Liberal party and the GST.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

drat guys you probably scared the Den away.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...ion?CMP=soc_567

quote:

Private companies such as those controlled by the billionaire mining magnate Gina Rinehart will be exempt from new laws requiring the publication of their tax information because of fears this could jeopardise their safety and possibly lead to kidnappings.

The assistant treasurer, Josh Frydenberg, told the Coalition party room on Tuesday the publication of the financial statements of large private companies raised “real safety concerns”. He said the 700 private companies captured by the new law covering more than 1,600 companies with a turnover of more than $100m should be exempt.

:shepface:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

You know, if multi-billion-dollar businesses did publish their tax avoidance information, I probably would kidnap their CEOs.

Hi, ASIO.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anidav posted:

drat guys you probably scared the Den away.

As if it were anything other than a gimmick post

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Fairfax is reporting incoming ALP staffers have been greeted with this message, written in permenent marker on a wall inside the Executive Building:

quote:

Dear Labor stooges,

Congratulations upon entry back into the Executive Position. Enjoy screwing up Queensland's economy!

This great state will not be fooled by your farcical governing.

Whilst you may be laughing at present, you will be turfed in 2018.

Your leader is gutless and scheming. You rely on the least educated to get support.

Enjoy, and remember – Queenslanders preferred a strong, stable government like the LNP. Unfortunately your dirty lies tricked people into preferential voting!

Best of luck,

Anonymous

Anidav fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 18, 2015

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

What is with that photo? I can't tell if it's legitimately trying to paint her in an attractive, thoughtful light or if she just insisted on that photo because she is too rich to give a poo poo. Well obviously the second part is true regardless but it's just a weird photo.

And if thou gaze long into an abyss...

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

All we're saying is they're special and you normos(normal people) cant be trusted.

Anidav posted:

Fairfax is reporting incoming ALP staffers have been greeted with this message, written in permenent market on a wall inside the Executive Building:

Lmbo

Endman
May 18, 2010

Those dirty tricksters, getting people to vote properly! :argh:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

"If yall knew how rich the big end of town was yall would start choppin necks, im just sayin" -josh "skidmark" fryndenburg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

katlington posted:

"If yall knew how rich the big end of town was yall would start choppin necks, im just sayin" -josh "skidmark" fryndenburg

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/17/8233343/one-chart-that-shows-just-how-ridiculously-huge-wall-street-bonuses

• Locked thread