Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Scholtz posted:

lol if you think this is an actual thing

Thank god I wasn't the only one who stopped reading the moment he arrived at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The NX is the Vitality Sensor's time to shine.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
NXcitement.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Actually, what if the NX was an improved Wii U GamePad that you can take with you outside of the house...

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's a 3DS

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I support the release of the NX in 2017!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The NX is going to literally be a new platform. Like the next iteration of the Balance Board, only it can move around on all three axes so that the act of precision jumping is more intuitive to casual players.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Look, all I want to know is will they bring cult classic Urban Champion to mobile?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Champeenship posted:

Look, all I want to know is will they bring cult classic Urban Champion to mobile?

Is the 3DS considered mobile, that's the real question.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

noirstronaut posted:

Is the 3DS considered mobile, that's the real question.
It's not mobile unless you can fit it in your pants imo

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Even if the NX is an actual new console, a 2016 announcement. 2017 release would be a 5 year gap, no worse than what the N64 or GameCube got. Wouldn't be surprised if it was, honestly, because I doubt Microsoft and Sony are ready to throw down another new console in a year or two when they're just now starting to be worth buying.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

KennyMan666 posted:

From what this thread has taught me, the United States has tiny pockets, whilst Europe stole theirs from Doctor Who.

As to the 'NX' thing, I suspect that there'll be some different circumstances outside of Japan, since Mobage isn't as widespread in the west as say, Android or iOS. Unless their thinking is that people will start affecting their choice of mobile phone based on specific games and apps.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Astro Nut posted:

From what this thread has taught me, the United States has tiny pockets, whilst Europe stole theirs from Doctor Who.

As to the 'NX' thing, I suspect that there'll be some different circumstances outside of Japan, since Mobage isn't as widespread in the west as say, Android or iOS. Unless their thinking is that people will start affecting their choice of mobile phone based on specific games and apps.

Mobage is a framework that is used in both Android and iOS.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Then I'm a dumb and I apologise.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

KennyMan666 posted:

Sir, let me tell you about my pockets.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.

Artix posted:

Even if the NX is an actual new console, a 2016 announcement. 2017 release would be a 5 year gap, no worse than what the N64 or GameCube got. Wouldn't be surprised if it was, honestly, because I doubt Microsoft and Sony are ready to throw down another new console in a year or two when they're just now starting to be worth buying.

Im ok with this since I bought my Wii U for christmass. Wouldnt mind trying to get my monies worth before I give it to someone else once I upgrade to the NX.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Meanwhile, I've yet to play Tropical Freeze since i'm burning through DKCR.

I just spent 33 lives trying (and finally succeeding!) to beat this level. It hurts so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL5ITYpgbMA

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Congrats on finally getting good

Excelsior
Apr 30, 2003

Man I had no idea what I was in for with the new Donkey Kong Country games, but I got Returns 3D last year as a platinum Club Nintendo reward. I ended up playing the poo poo out of it and I just got Tropical Freeze this weekend and it is somehow better.

And the music, holy poo poo.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Curator posted:

I don't really know what to say about this sudden change in direction for Nintendo.

It's not a change in direction, as they're still primarily making games for the 3DS/WiiU, while using their mobile games to try and remind people, hey, we make good games, if you wanna play good games then buy our poo poo! At best we're gonna get one game on mobile before the year is out, with a few more before 2016 closes, and whatever we get after that is still gonna pale in comparison to what we get on the Nintendo made hardware. That and they're, so far, only making new games for mobile, not ports, so don't worry about them treating the market like a dumping ground the way Square Enix has.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think rocket barrel music is my favorite DKC music, even over bramble scramble.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My initial guess about the NX was that it will be a Fire TV-like box that you can stream Wii U and Virtual Console games to for a monthly subscription fee. Your smartphone or tablet will connect to it using a mobile app and will function as the Gamepad screen, though that's optional for games that don't require it (though it will require a Wii U Pro controller (included) to actually play games).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 17, 2015

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
It doesn't look at all like NX is going to replace the Wii U, considering how its placed alongside both that and the 3DS on their cute little diagram, though I'm not terribly confident that Nintendo will be able to handle developing for two additional platforms while still developing for the current pair, considering how they sometimes clearly feel the strain with just the Wii U and 3DS.

At any rate, I find it a little silly that people are so insistent on NX being a Wii U replacement when a 3DS replacement is somewhat more likely.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

greatn posted:

I think rocket barrel music is my favorite DKC music, even over bramble scramble.

This is a correct opinion, the rocket barrel music is fantastic. And the rocket barrel levels themselves are awesome.

Anime Curator posted:

I mean, sure mobile games are popular enough, but a true gamer would understand that you wouldn't show those games to a friend.

I want to frame this post. It's so perfect. I almost can't believe this was posted unironically

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I almost can't believe this was posted unironically

I hope you're kidding

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I don't see it being a NX being a Wii U replacement, per se, but a cheaper (and potentially future-proof) alternative.

Streaming games to cheap hardware makes sense to me. PS Now works really, really well (I played through the first Uncharted time and only experienced issues while on the Vita because the Vita's WiFi is kinda poo poo) and I'm convinced paying for a stream, not download and install, of video games, is the future of gaming.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nobody should give a gently caress about a new console announcement until nintendo joins the current century and gives us a digital loving account system. you know, something that would tie your purchases to an account instead of the hardware, like every other games and media platform IN EXISTENCE.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Your purchases are tired to your NNID account, is just that your account is tired to hardware. That can be moved but only through special procedures. It's definitely in your account though.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So, uh... new console/handheld announcement due next year. Codename "NX"

E:f;b

And Nintendo's last

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

MinibarMatchman posted:

nobody should give a gently caress about a new console announcement until nintendo joins the current century and gives us a digital loving account system. you know, something that would tie your purchases to an account instead of the hardware, like every other games and media platform IN EXISTENCE.

I don't care about that poo poo you said but I do like new Nintendo hardware.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, I don't see it being a NX being a Wii U replacement, per se, but a cheaper (and potentially future-proof) alternative.

Streaming games to cheap hardware makes sense to me. PS Now works really, really well (I played through the first Uncharted time and only experienced issues while on the Vita because the Vita's WiFi is kinda poo poo) and I'm convinced paying for a stream, not download and install, of video games, is the future of gaming.

Streaming hardware's not going to be it. There's too many internet deadzones where they'd otherwise turn a profit with a proper console. Hell, even PSNow's not that great for anything fast-paced.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

lelandjs posted:

You're going to have a real hard time streaming your video games from a defunct company

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

bef posted:

And Nintendo's last

again

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

greatn posted:

Your purchases are tired to your NNID account, is just that your account is tired to hardware

:rolleyes:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bef posted:

You're going to have a real hard time streaming your video games from a defunct company

I didn't say that it was a flawless future.

Though I will note that, out of the hundreds upon hundreds of video games that I have played, there are only a select few that I've really wanted to go back and play again and again. Most of the time once is enough for me.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nintendo will live forever.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

lelandjs posted:

I'm convinced paying for a stream, not download and install, of video games, is the future of gaming.

My country's Internet is garbage and I disagree

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

lelandjs posted:

Really? At a time when the cost of ownership of personal computing hardware is at an all-time low per unit processing power, you think that things are going to go back to the days of mainframes streaming data to dumb terminals?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My country's Internet is garbage and I disagree

This is pretty much why streamed gaming will never be the big thing companies want it to be. You're looking at a relatively small potential playerbase because unless your players are sitting in the middle of a major city or on a Fibre connection (in maybe three or four countries in the world), it's gonna lag like crap and be fundamentally worthless. All you've done is alienated most of your consumers from the previous console generation and gutted any hope of reasonable profits. And a bad launch would tank a service like that when the network overhead costs eats it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

DrPaper posted:

They said Nintendo will have final say on products with their IPs, everything else in the conference has stated DeNA will be making new mobile games with their IPs.

It's in both their interests to have the other partner do as well as possible. With this partnership, DeNA owns 1% of Nintendo and Nintendo owns 10% of DeNA. A 10% stake would make Nintendo the second largest shareholder after DeNA's founder. They're incentivized to help each other succeed as they're both investing in each other.

Fun fact, Sony once had a 14% stake in DeNA. However, they sold it in 2013 since they needed the cash.

• Locked thread