Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Avatar made almost 3 billion dollars. While it was popular here, I think I remember reading that people went absolutely apeshit for it in other countries. The sequels are going to make a poo poo ton of money and the park will attract people. I figure, if nothing else it will be very well made and fun to experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
This is a significant chunk of Disney dollars sunk into Avatarland and we all know WD is not about fail. If this did sink like a lead balloon heads would roll from the top down.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've never even seen the movie. I'm a monster.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Old Man Pants posted:

Does anyone even still care about avatar?

Currently? Not much. Disney is hedging it's bets that the first movie was such a huge success that the 2nd and 3rd one will be too. Whether or not it ends up being a good thing, who knows.

skipdogg posted:

It's a very pretty movie but if you're looking for Deep Natural Causes Messaging you'd get the same thing by, as the dude I quoted before you said, watching fern gully.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's a very pretty movie but if you're looking for Deep Natural Causes Messaging you'd get the same thing by, as the dude I quoted before you said, watching fern gully.

It's like the characters and plot from Pocahontas got drunk and stumbled into Fern Gully, but without Robin Williams, or really any redeemable features other than the beautiful CG and cinematography.

I really wish Disney would've looked elsewhere for IP, but I guess they followed the ENORMOUS BAGS OF MONEY.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

skipdogg posted:

I liked it. At one point in the movie the protags are escaping the human base and the evil Lt chases them into the unpressurized hangar and fires a mag at them while HOLDING HIS BREATH as the rest of the room he just left grabs oxy masks cuz he just depressurized the loving room. Pretty gangster IMO.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

The Indiana Jones ride in Disneyland is face-meltingly awesome. Dinosaur is painful and dumb. (Kind of like the movie that shares its title.)

And chalk me up as Actually Looking Forward To Pandora-Landora. Wanna meet "real" Wayne Barlowe-designed creatures.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I'm not a massive fan of Cars but its land may be the best thing Disney have done since Tower or Indy. I've never seen Avatar but the scenery (and money being pumped into it) should make it cool. Disney parks always nail night lighting so I'm excited that is being hyped up.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dugong posted:

I'm not a massive fan of Cars but its land may be the best thing Disney have done since Tower or Indy.
This, so much. Carsland was fantastic. I'm normally more of a thrill junky and don't care much about theming but the Radiator Springs area is just really well produced. And the main ride is pretty great too.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

My only gripe is the queue isn't great compared to the outstanding theming around it. I know it's designed with forced perspective in mind but it means you can see the amount of fastpassers moving through constantly. Chief reason I've done single rider.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Yeah radiator springs racers seriously lacks queue theming

Which is another reason Indy is so good. The outside part is a bit lacking for the queue, but the inside is all great. I wish they still gave the cards out. Or at least that I'd kept mine from when it first opened

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I'm considering leaving my wallet in the room safe since we'll have Magic Bands this time. Will I need my ID to buy alcohol, or does the Magic Band know how old I am?

Oh, and how long will we have acces to our Memory maker photos after vacation?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
60 days I think? It's at least 30.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

It's 45 days.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

When I was there, the magic band/credit card reader sometimes would be broken at some places so you had to pay cash. I mainly saw this with ice cream carts.

Ugh I wish magic bands could be used for everything ever out of Disney, they were so amazing.

Carsland owns but speaking of queue theming, I wish more queues at DL were shaded or indoors with AC.

Tomato Soup fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 14, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Lincoln posted:

I'm considering leaving my wallet in the room safe since we'll have Magic Bands this time. Will I need my ID to buy alcohol, or does the Magic Band know how old I am?

Oh, and how long will we have acces to our Memory maker photos after vacation?

I have a small travel wallet / card case that I kept my ID, Disney Visa CC, and a bit of cash in vs carrying my whole wallet around. Worked out well

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Never go out without your ID and insurance card. Don't gently caress yourself.

I'm planning on bringing one of those lame neck lanyards with a zippered pouch like I'm in high school. No worries about a wallet falling out of my pocket and it can tuck under my shirt to stay out of the way.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011
Fingers are crossed I can score a Fast Pass to Be Our Guest's breakfast.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/03/16/news-be-our-guest-restaurant-breakfast-menus-and-reservation-booking-details/

But drat, those prices are ridiculous. :(

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

There's no FPs for BOG now, it's all ADRs so just keep checking the night before they officially go up then that morning too if they didn't screw up. I know for lunch they were meant to go live at 6AM but you could make ADRs before that on your phone.

It's a steal if you're on the meal plan with the breakfast being QS.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Tip: For the time being, Lunch does have walk up space. Not a ton, mind you, but they can usually work you in sometime between 10:30 and 2:30 on most days. I was able to walk right in for lunch the other day with no reservation.

I have no idea if breakfast will be the same (I suspect it might because it's also QS like lunch)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Wow... Even 180 days out it's hard to score a Be Our Guest dinner reservation. I managed to get one, but not on the day we wanted.

Dining reservations are complete. For some reason, the website wouldn't let me book for my entire visit despite being 180 from the check-in date, even though the phone rep insisted it should work.

Also, note to Disney: Making the hold music on your customer service line "It's a Small World" is a dirty trick.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
BOG for dinner is really tough even booking into the future. We were looking for June 2 since it's my wife's birthday and no luck so we said screw BOG dinner forever.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

BOG reservations (and other hard to get reservations) tend to free up about 2 weeks out from the actual date as people change plans. You've still got to check pretty much constantly throughout the day because when a reservation comes open it doesn't last long, but it's certainly doable.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Wow... Even 180 days out it's hard to score a Be Our Guest dinner reservation. I managed to get one, but not on the day we wanted.

Dining reservations are complete. For some reason, the website wouldn't let me book for my entire visit despite being 180 from the check-in date, even though the phone rep insisted it should work.

Also, note to Disney: Making the hold music on your customer service line "It's a Small World" is a dirty trick.

I got grim grinning ghosts once and thought I hit the lottery.

BOG being ADR only sucks rear end and I hope there's enough bitching to get it changed.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I got grim grinning ghosts once and thought I hit the lottery.
I got that too. I was on hold a LONG time this morning.

And now I can change reservations for my entire stay online. I wonder if ADR's beyond 180 days only open up once the parks open for the day.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Amateurs. I once sat on hold for 7 hours to convert a reservation to free dining. Do you know how many times I heard "Grim Grinning Ghosts", "it's a small world", "Beauty and the Bees", etc.? INFINITE TIMES, that's how many.

We're staying club level Poly for 2 nights in November and I'm going to try to use them to get myself a BOG reservation. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Braksgirl posted:

Amateurs. I once sat on hold for 7 hours to convert a reservation to free dining. Do you know how many times I heard "Grim Grinning Ghosts", "it's a small world", "Beauty and the Bees", etc.? INFINITE TIMES, that's how many.

We're staying club level Poly for 2 nights in November and I'm going to try to use them to get myself a BOG reservation. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't.

Beauty and the bees and suitcase and a dream are the worst to get on hold when we have to call the DRC.

WE're probably gonna book a stay in November - just signed up for the wine and dine half today. Sold out in 35 minutes and we really don't want to have to worry about driving ourselves to and from the race.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

Fingers are crossed I can score a Fast Pass to Be Our Guest's breakfast.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/03/16/news-be-our-guest-restaurant-breakfast-menus-and-reservation-booking-details/

But drat, those prices are ridiculous. :(

I want to know what $20 worth of eggs looks like.

Edit: or a $12 bowl of loving cereal :lol:

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 18, 2015

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Old Man Pants posted:

Obviously it's 5 dozen eggs.

The childrens menu eggs is only 4 dozen, that's why it's cheaper

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Old Man Pants posted:

If you're buying a $20 doughnut, Gaston better be giving you a reach around while you're eating it.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Old Man Pants posted:

The $20 includes a pastry basket as well as your drinks on top of the main course. Not that it's still not a ridiculous price. Just less ridiculous. Like $12 for your main, $4 for the pastry basket and $4 for your coffee & juice

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

MorgaineDax posted:

If you're buying a $20 doughnut, Gaston better be giving you a reach around while you're eating it.

No one jacks like Gaston, glugs big shots like Gaston, and goes prancing around wearing heels like Gaston.

I'm pretty sure it'd have to be more than just Gaston giving me a reach around to pay those prices.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Here's a neat Wired article on the development of Magic Bands.

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/disney-magicband/

Really cool technology, if a little big-brother creepy.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Happitoo posted:

The $20 includes a pastry basket as well as your drinks on top of the main course. Not that it's still not a ridiculous price. Just less ridiculous. Like $12 for your main, $4 for the pastry basket and $4 for your coffee & juice

Exactly. Surely no one here thinks WDW food is bargain priced.

Selenite
Feb 17, 2011
Sure, the price includes your drink and pastries but......Sleepy Hollow waffles made to order. Or Mickey waffles at some resorts. At least it gives people another opportunity to check out the restaurant and frankly, I've always liked the idea of taking your party for a cheaper meal there and a fastpass to FairyTale Hall instead of Cinderella's. In truth this looks about even with the price of having lunch there.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

Exactly. Surely no one here thinks WDW food is bargain priced.

I can get a cup of water for free. :colbert:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

No one jacks like Gaston, glugs big shots like Gaston, and goes prancing around wearing heels like Gaston.

I'm pretty sure it'd have to be more than just Gaston giving me a reach around to pay those prices.

I would prefer that it was Belle but that is just personal preference. ;)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I managed to snag an actual breakfast reservation, so I'll report back once I've tried the expensive eggs

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I managed to snag an actual breakfast reservation, so I'll report back once I've tried the expensive eggs

I expect pics :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I heard adults can order off the kids menu if so inclined. I'm excited to eat in the castle, but if they don't serve the grey stuff for breakfast (they probably won't), that may be a deal breaker. Excited to hear a trip report :)