Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

tuyop posted:

Unless you mean that when you restore from iCloud your screens fill up with little placeholders of all your apps in the right spot that download over time and your music library populates with songs with that cloud icon (if you don't use Match). If that happens, then it's just awesome.

It does just that. All the apps are in the right place. Can't tell you about the music though as I only use Google play music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Thinking about going to the AT&T store later and grabbing a new iPhone. I'm not totally buttfucking myself on the AT&T Next plan, right? The idea of being able to upgrade every year is very tempting.

And now that it has been several months with the 6 and 6 Plus's out on the market....6 Plus users still glad they bought the bigger iPhone? I had convinced myself I was going to go with the smaller 6, but the battery life and camera might last second audible me back to the Plus.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

89 posted:

And now that it has been several months with the 6 and 6 Plus's out on the market....6 Plus users still glad they bought the bigger iPhone? I had convinced myself I was going to go with the smaller 6, but the battery life and camera might last second audible me back to the Plus.

I still love my 6+. I never want to go back to a smaller screen.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MarcusSA posted:

Same same. Not only do I love it, but I can't even handle my wife's regular 6 without feeling it is cripplingly small.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Awesomeness. About to go splurge. Any battery case recommendations? I've been using my Lenmar battery case on the iPhone 5 and I love it. Dealt with early mophie cases during the days of my iPhone 3GS and they suck.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

MarcusSA posted:

Also same. Girlfriends 5s is so small it's nearly unusable. Size could be an issue to some but normal people cloths it seems to fit as an average male.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I still feel the 6 is a bit unwieldily for regular 1-handed use (and I've got massive gorilla hands), but I'm probably unwilling to sacrifice the screen real estate for general comfort. I did go back to using my 5 for a week or so and it was extremely "refreshing" to hold, and I didn't get too claustrophobic from using it.

I can't even imagine what a 6+ would be like.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

MarcusSA posted:

I don't want to empty-quote but pretty much exactly this. So glad I took the leap and tried it.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

89 posted:

Awesomeness. About to go splurge. Any battery case recommendations? I've been using my Lenmar battery case on the iPhone 5 and I love it. Dealt with early mophie cases during the days of my iPhone 3GS and they suck.

You don't need a battery case because of the large increase in battery life you're going to see on the 6+. If you really need an emergency charger just pick up something like this: http://smile.amazon.com/Astro-Lipstick-Sized-Portable-PowerIQTM-Technology/dp/B005X1Y7I2/ ($12)

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

You don't need a battery case because of the large increase in battery life you're going to see on the 6+.

Yes right on point. I can go an average of two days without charging. Where with my 5 I needed to charge nightly. I just got the Apple leather case and rode off into the sunset.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Ok, got my iPhone 6+. Definitely big. I'm digging it.

Now, bout those cool case suggestions :D (go for it!)

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Michael Scott posted:

You don't need a battery case because of the large increase in battery life you're going to see on the 6+. If you really need an emergency charger just pick up something like this: http://smile.amazon.com/Astro-Lipstick-Sized-Portable-PowerIQTM-Technology/dp/B005X1Y7I2/ ($12)

Seconding this kind of thing. I had an international flight so I bought a box type thing from China, 10000mh. I can charge my phone like 3 or 4 times with it. Not that big, but hefty. Fits perfectly in my bag.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

89 posted:

Like dude said. Apple leather case. Love my black one. No idea how much its going to really protect it, But holy hell if it isnt one of the nicest feeling things ever. Its almost as nice as the phone is bare. Almost.

illBilliam posted:

Yes right on point. I can go an average of two days without charging. Where with my 5 I needed to charge nightly. I just got the Apple leather case and rode off into the sunset.

Same. If I'm careful and turn bluetooth and poo poo off the battery lasts forever. Hell I've been on it almost all day texting, bluetooth reconnecting like 20 times though the day + music streaming via bluetooth, Still has over 50% left. Love my 6+

Same thing. Leather case and sunset included.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
It's been 2 hours since I've got this new iPhone and all of my apps are still stuck on "Waiting" mode. What do I do? Everything else is fine beyond that

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

89 posted:

It's been 2 hours since I've got this new iPhone and all of my apps are still stuck on "Waiting" mode. What do I do? Everything else is fine beyond that

Get on WiFi
Turn screen off
Stop staring at it

Soon as I quit loving with mine, they got going. It just knows man. It just knows.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

89 posted:

The Apple leather case is a great choice if you want a case but don't want a case. It protects the aluminum from everyday wear and tear, adds grip/feels great, ages over time (this may be a con for you -- keep in mind every color variant is dyed and will noticeably wear unless you get the black one,) hides the ridiculous antenna lines, and solves the protruding camera lens "problem". They also make a silicone version of the same case if you'd rather have that instead of leather.

It's not really much of a case, though. On the plus side, it adds nearly no bulk. On the minus side, it's really not going to do poo poo for you if you drop the phone. It does have a lip on the screen side that protrudes about a millimeter, but still... I got this case for everything I listed in the first paragraph, and not for impact protection. Consider something bulkier for that, and even a glass screen protector for added security. Otterbox, I suppose? I've never been much of a case user, but the iPhone 6 just feels so fragile that I halfway necessitated one this time around.

If you just want to protect the aluminum finish and add some grip to the back/sides, you could just get a vinyl skin and save some money.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 17, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

MacID for iOS or OSX Free

http://slickdeals.net/f/7732697-macid-for-ios-free-reg-3-99

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

enojy posted:

If you just want to protect the aluminum finish and add some grip to the back/sides, you could just get a vinyl skin and save some money.

A case made from vinyl? Can you give an example? I understand a vinyl pattern being added, but actually making a worthwhile case from vinyl seems odd.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 17, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Super Dude posted:

A case made from vinyl? Can you give an example? I understand a vinyl pattern being added, but actually making a worthwhile case from vinyl seems odd.

Nah, just a skin. https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/Apple-iPhone-6-Plus-Skins

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Does anyone else with an iPhone 6+ have it crash the springboard (un-jailbroken) daily? Usually when double clicking to switch apps. It'll freeze for a bit then, Apple logo.
I was hoping the 8.2 update would smooth it out but it's still happening quite often. It's really annoying and contrary to my experience with any of the earlier iPhones I've owned.

Possible connected, I'm noticing a lot of my apps don't give me notification banners, popups or sounds. The number appears silently on the app. Not all apps, but things like instagram, Facebook, Neighborhood, etc. Uninstalling-reinstalling, turning notifications on-off, none of those work.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 6+ but these are 2 heavy flaws that are really starting to get annoying.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You should restore your phone.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

CaptainCrunch posted:

Does anyone else with an iPhone 6+ have it crash the springboard (un-jailbroken) daily? Usually when double clicking to switch apps. It'll freeze for a bit then, Apple logo.
I was hoping the 8.2 update would smooth it out but it's still happening quite often. It's really annoying and contrary to my experience with any of the earlier iPhones I've owned.

Possible connected, I'm noticing a lot of my apps don't give me notification banners, popups or sounds. The number appears silently on the app. Not all apps, but things like instagram, Facebook, Neighborhood, etc. Uninstalling-reinstalling, turning notifications on-off, none of those work.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 6+ but these are 2 heavy flaws that are really starting to get annoying.

Doesn't the 6+ have the issue with the MLC vs TLC NAND? I'd research that, and if you have the crappy NAND see if you can get the phone replaced.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Edit: ^^^ I'd forgotten all about that. I'll have to tell him to check...

CaptainCrunch posted:

My friend's 6+ does this about once a day now. He wiped/restored last week; prior to that, it was 4-5 times a day.

Edit2: I just texted him about the TLC thing and apparently his graphics started glitching out this morning so the phone is getting replaced already.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 17, 2015

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that my iPhone remember indefinitely the last thing I was listening to. It's really annoying to have to reach into the Podcast app and start it up again if I'm trying to start driving.

Also, the music app refusing to list artist albums without listing the songs after iOS 6 is killing me. I swear it used to be context sensitive so if you had a couple albums it would lay all the songs out on that artist view. Now it doesn't care if you have dozens of albums by the artist, you get to scroll through every last song.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

bobfather posted:

Doesn't the 6+ have the issue with the MLC vs TLC NAND? I'd research that, and if you have the crappy NAND see if you can get the phone replaced.

I hadn't even heard of this. Googled, tried the iPhone Doctor app to check storage and the write speed came in under 100, so that apparently means it's the non-problematic MLC?

It still crashes too much. It's usually when I am double clicking out of a native app like Safari, Mail or Music.

Guess I'll still take it to the Genius to see if their diagnostics can turn anything up.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Well. After six years of owning an iPhone, I finally dropped and cracked the screen. It's pretty bad too.

What's the best way to get this repaired? Apple says it's 300 to get it repaired even in the one year warranty. Is there a reputable this party repair service? Or is it just worth going to Apple and asking pretty please if they'll just let me pay 100 bucks this time or whatever?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Just take it to Apple and pay the $300. Get insurance or AC+ next time. $300 once every 6 years for something you handle daily isn't really that big of a deal.

Also if you beg for the AC replacement price they're just gonna laugh at your pathetic rear end so you should do that.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Mmkay. I actually looked at the website again and the repair price for the screen only is $109, so it isn't that bad.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

Mmkay. I actually looked at the website again and the repair price for the screen only is $109, so it isn't that bad.

Considering that if you had Applecare+ it would still cost you $79, I think you actually made the right choice.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's cheaper to repair the 6 screen than it is the 5. Weird.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got my iphone 6 today. Is there an easy way to fix the apple ID issue where you only have one security question and no option for a recovery email on the web interface, and it constantly asks you for 3 security questions and a recovery email on the app store (and then times out when you fill that in). It looks like it has been an issue since at least 2012 and apple support had no idea what to do. Will enabling 2fa solve this? It says it replaces the security questions (but wants me to wait 3 goddamn days to enable it)

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Ok, I have run into one place that it's a bit tricky to be a iPhone 6+ owner....the gym.

What do you 6+ goons do about keeping your iPhone on you in the gym? I guess I need deeper pockets..

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

89 posted:

What do you 6+ goons do about keeping your iPhone on you in the gym?
Deadlift it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

89 posted:

Ok, I have run into one place that it's a bit tricky to be a iPhone 6+ owner....the gym.

What do you 6+ goons do about keeping your iPhone on you in the gym? I guess I need deeper pockets..
Any reason you need it on you? Do they not have lockers?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Gotta have my tuuuunes. I also log MyFitnessPal inbetween sets and use it for reference on what my workout is and how much I need to lift, etc.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

bluetooth headphones? jaybirds?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

89 posted:

Baby bjorn or 90s style tiny backpack? For reals though my wife uses an armband with her 6+ and doesn't have any complaints.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Of course, this is on their forearm, but it is a bit comical:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

89 posted:

Gotta have my tuuuunes. I also log MyFitnessPal inbetween sets and use it for reference on what my workout is and how much I need to lift, etc.

If you're working with free weights, I'd really recommend getting some cheap wifi device (like an older used Android) for gym use. My phone regularly falls out of my pocket at the gym (benching mainly) and I've clunked heavy dumbbells into it plenty of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Even the regular 6 is unwieldy at the gym coming from the 4. Like it's a pretty big thing to have in your pocket when you are wearing basketball shorts. Also I have the Lifeproof case (I actually use it for paddle sports and wade fishing as a camera, GPS and emergency phone in case i'm attacked by a shark/alligator/thugs, so I need it to be waterproof) and with the 6 in the case it barely fits in any board short or bathing suit pockets, it pokes out the top.