Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The important question is: Does Brian Kibler have a Patreon to support his fashion wardrobe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Wezlar posted:

Its funny because that's not even insane for a video game streamer. People are just straight nuts

Remember 10-15 years ago when the idea of getting anyone to pay for anything on the Internet was laughable? :corsair:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Entropic posted:

Remember 10-15 years ago when the idea of getting anyone to pay for anything on the Internet was laughable? :corsair:

They just didn't know what to do with the internet. Pets.com, where you could ship pets? BAD IDEA. Watching people play something you love and can't be bothered to practice at the level they're at? That's feasible. Check out all entertainment!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

En Fuego posted:

Watching people play something you love and can't be bothered to practice at the level they're at

This is giving stream monsters way more credit than they're worth

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have never met someone who pays for streams. Can someone who has walk me though the thought process? Really confused ATM

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

I have never met someone who pays for streams. Can someone who has walk me though the thought process? Really confused ATM

I mean I've donated to AGDQ that's kind of like paying a streamer. I figure it's like that but for more mundane streams.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
It's like people paying money in the year of our lord 2015 to post on an internet forum, some people just have some cash laying around and they want to use it.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Chill la Chill posted:

As someone who gets paid to entertain people, you're paying for the entertainment. Same reason you pay to see a movie, watch a show, etc.

Some people are bad, but the entertaining ones (this is subjective you turds) are the ones getting $$.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Guess it kind of makes sense if you put it that way. I've never found them entertaining enough to pay for and its always been donations and never an entry fee. Movies and SA are entry fees.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Chill la Chill posted:

Guess it kind of makes sense if you put it that way. I've never found them entertaining enough to pay for and its always been donations and never an entry fee. Movies and SA are entry fees.

Yeah, for me it's very few and far between, but I've kicked like $5 here or there to a couple of people.

I'd be more likely to donate to haumph if he'd get rid of all the stupid sound effects (or at least level/normalize them to his speech holy poo poo).

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
it is a turning point in a young child's development to realize other people like different things to them

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

gang sines posted:

it is a turning point in a young child's development to realize other people like different things to them

No. Stop liking things I don't like. :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

gang sines posted:

It is also a turning point to a child to realize that they could both celebrate and criticize things.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

It is also a turning point to a child to realize that they could both celebrate and criticize things.

This is a funny way of saying I was wrong.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, for me it's very few and far between, but I've kicked like $5 here or there to a couple of people.

I'd be more likely to donate to haumph if he'd get rid of all the stupid sound effects (or at least level/normalize them to his speech holy poo poo).
Yeah, same here with Kenji and his weird new subscriber dance. But I guess we're in the minority because both those guys are pretty popular as far as MTGO streaming goes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jassi007 posted:

This is a funny way of saying I was wrong.
We all play this children's card game. You can make fun of it. Same thing with paying for streams or an SA account or being basic. Don't be so defensive about it. We are all really gay, so what

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I wonder what's changed recently with people being willing to pay for content. It seems like even 5 years ago people wouldn't be able to get donations for this sort of thing; getting people to pay for content was like pulling teeth. I think it's maybe the social aspect? Everyone egging each other on and streamers making their subs feel like part of a community. Maybe microtransactions on f2p and phone games has made people a little more willing to shell out cash?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
lol guys i don't get why people would pay money for thing?? <-- a sick "burn" or "diss"

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

odiv posted:

I wonder what's changed recently with people being willing to pay for content. It seems like even 5 years ago people wouldn't be able to get donations for this sort of thing; getting people to pay for content was like pulling teeth. I think it's maybe the social aspect? Everyone egging each other on and streamers making their subs feel like part of a community. Maybe microtransactions on f2p and phone games has made people a little more willing to shell out cash?

It might have something to do with the honesty behind it. With things getting more expensive and the customer not necessarily getting quality to go with it, sometimes it's nice to just see a person you find funny being funny without any strings attached and from there, the goodwill probably makes a lot of people much more willing to invest.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

gang sines posted:

lol guys i don't get why people would pay money for thing?? <-- a sick "burn" or "diss"
If that was to me, don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome. I'm just curious as to what's driving the change.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

odiv posted:

People realized with various free to play models that lots of people will just not do a thing if it costs any money (children who don't have access to credit cards, people who don't have money to spare on a game that looks like a maybe, people who just wouldn't spend that money even if they did have it) buta t the same time there are plenty of people who just have money that they're willing to spend. It's really evident with magic in general too. There's plenty of people that spend 15 bucks or just borrow a deck from a friend or sibling, because that's their interest level. Casuals are really good at being free word of mouth if your design is good or attractive in any way. Then the kind of people who are going to just buy a box every set do. Or the kind of people who play competitively and constantly show up to tournaments.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Terrible Horse posted:

Yeah MTGO players are like bottom rung on Twitch. People playing LoL or CS:GO (especially women) regularly make 5-7k a stream. Which is insane to me but good on them for supporting the entertainment they consume I guess.

This is where Brian Kibler is. For everything he might say about "MTGO sucks which is why I stopped streaming it," he straight up told me that Hearthstone streaming makes way more money due to higher viewership and eSports sponsorships.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

odiv posted:

If that was to me, don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome. I'm just curious as to what's driving the change.

naw to chill

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

odiv posted:

Some people failed to make money on the internet and thus declared it impossible

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
They must have really gotten their card collation a lot better to be able to have only the 5 Planeswalkers be double-faced in actual packs. Unless every pack has a Planeswalker :v:

I suppose I can see why they're limiting it so much - Manifest is still in standard and Whisperwood/Mastery see play. You really could end up Manifesting a DFC and getting a bunch of random judge calls at FNM.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 17, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

They must have really gotten their card collation a lot better to be able to have only the 5 Planeswalkers be double-faced in actual packs. Unless every pack has a Planeswalker :v:

I suppose I can see why they're limiting it so much - Manifest is still in standard and Whisperwood/Mastery see play. You really could end up Manifesting a DFC and getting a bunch of random judge calls at FNM.

They did. that was the big point of the new font, new frame etc. the cards are machine readable, so in theory they should be able to sort much better now. It has lead to some funny things like commander decks with all rares etc.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Angry Grimace posted:

How does that work, by the way?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Manifested DFCs have three sides. You can turn them face up and then later flip them. It's very powerful.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

The 'front' face of the card is still a creature so you would have to pay the mana cost to turn it face up like any other creature. While manifested it is still a 2/2 morph critter thing.
The dual faced cards don't actually have two faces in the rules, they are 'transformed'.

The only proper way to handle these cards will happen in the far future when we have all ascended to machine intelligence in thrall of the eternal ultra-MaRo; only then can we properly think in the four dimensional space required to comprehend a three faced card.

edit: you pay the mana cost, not the cmc

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 17, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

goferchan posted:

There's a "third side" to manifest. You manifest it, when you flip it, it goes up normal face up.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

kzin602 posted:

The 'front' face of the card is still a creature so you would have to pay the mana cost to turn it face up like any other creature. While manifested it is still a 2/2 morph critter thing.
The dual faced cards don't actually have two faces in the rules, they are 'transformed'.

The only proper way to handle these cards will happen in the far future when we have all ascended to machine intelligence in thrall of the eternal ultra-MaRo; only then can we properly think in the four dimensional space required to comprehend a three faced card.

Or just slap a manifest token over any and all cards that get manifested.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
But if I drop ixidron after the manifested dfc planeswalker is turned face up, it stays face up, correct?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Angry Grimace posted:

This is where Brian Kibler is. For everything he might say about "MTGO sucks which is why I stopped streaming it," he straight up told me that Hearthstone streaming makes way more money due to higher viewership and eSports sponsorships.

Honestly I get the feeling that if mtgo looked just a little better and played anywhere near as well as hearthstone does, it would skyrocket in popularity.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

If they didn't charge essentially the same for paper and online it might help too, but maybe it wouldn't make a difference and people would flock to it regardless.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

What's wrong here

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Comp Rules 110.6 posted:

A permanent's status is its physical state, There are four status categories, each of which has two possible values: tapped/untapped, flipped/unflipped, face up/face down, and phased in/phased out. Each permanent always has one of these values for each of these categories

A manifested Magic Origins DFC Planeswalker card is a face down, unflipped, card. The picture that is in place of the card back has no effect. It will have to be turned face up, then flipped (by a transform effect) to become a planeswalker.

At least, I think that's how it works. Magic rules are hard sometimes.

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 17, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

odiv posted:

If they didn't charge essentially the same for paper and online it might help too, but maybe it wouldn't make a difference and people would flock to it regardless.

That's partially a function of the redemption policy.

End of Life Guy posted:

A manifested DFC card is a face down, unflipped, card. The picture that is in place of the card back has no effect. It will have to be turned face up, then flipped (by a transform effect) to become a planeswalker.

In practice quite easy - you can't directly play a DFC in an unsleeved deck and if its sleeved, just put the sleeve-side down.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Molybdenum posted:

But if I drop ixidron after the manifested dfc planeswalker is turned face up, it stays face up, correct?

If you play Ixi when the DFC is in planeswalker mode, nothing happens.
If you play Ixi while the DFC is in creature mode, it becomes a morph creature thing; because it was not manifested and has no morph cost, it's trapped that way unless it leaves the battlefield.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

kzin602 posted:

http://tabakrules.tumblr.com/post/100530619404/duel-masters-triple-faced-cards#permalink

Matt Tabak has already shown us the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Okay but what if I have Infinite Reflection on Jushi Apprentice, then manifest a double faced card?

• Locked thread