Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Thanks for all the advice as far as photoscanning goes. My results are getting a bit better.

I'm still having trouble working out a good pipeline though. I want to touch up my scans in Zbrush, but I don't have much experience there. I want to close the holes and fix up distorted parts of the model, but I still want to keep the high-res textures that Photoscan generated.

I was thinking that Dynameshing the scan, then fixing up the model, then projecting the textures back onto the resulting model and UVing it by hand would be the best way to do that. Is that the general workflow that you guys do? I'm trying to get something that could be used in UE4.

The other thing is that Dynamesh just crashes Zbrush so that's a kink in the plan too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Rubber Slug posted:

Thanks for all the advice as far as photoscanning goes. My results are getting a bit better.

I'm still having trouble working out a good pipeline though. I want to touch up my scans in Zbrush, but I don't have much experience there. I want to close the holes and fix up distorted parts of the model, but I still want to keep the high-res textures that Photoscan generated.

I was thinking that Dynameshing the scan, then fixing up the model, then projecting the textures back onto the resulting model and UVing it by hand would be the best way to do that. Is that the general workflow that you guys do? I'm trying to get something that could be used in UE4.

The other thing is that Dynamesh just crashes Zbrush so that's a kink in the plan too.

Dynamesh crashing is a serious problem, but I mainly use it to close holes. Regardless if you dynamesh or not, you can still decimate the mesh. Sometimes dynamesh will work better if you decimate first.
So.... follow this order:
1. Decimate at high detail. This is dependent on how decent your computer is but the important part is to keep as much detail as possible.
2. Dynamesh if you can in order to close holes. 1024 or higher is best I would say. Again, try and keep your detail from the scan. Turn polish / blur OFF / zero. If you don't need to close holes you can skip the dynamesh.
3. Retopo or zremesh (with low settings. 1 or even lower for base mesh)
Note: It is always best to draw guides for zremesher. If you have the time / patience just do it in Maya / Max / Topogun for best results. 3D Coat is another popular option.
4. Project details from decimated scan into new retopo or zremeshed mesh. Best to do this at lowest resolution first. Zremesh / retopo should be the subtool OVER the scan / decimated data.
5. Subdivide retopo / zremesh and project details again. Subdivide and reproject until you have all the details from the original scan. Very important to project from lowest subdivsion to highest, one step at a time.
6. Now you should have mesh with good topology but also has the details at the highest sub D. Unwrap UVs of the new mesh with whatever tool you want but UVmaster should work for something quick and dirty.
7. Export new mesh (with good topology) back to photoscan and create texture. Make sure to tell photoscan you want to keep your UVs. Export texture from photoscan.
8. Apply new texture from photoscan to retopologized model with good UVs in zbrush. From here you can make your normal maps in zbrush (or mudbox, but I prefer xnormal).

Have a drink.

Note that the drink is optional, but you may want one after getting this far. :rock:

Pretty much my workflow for this.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 12, 2015

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

sigma 6 posted:

Dynamesh crashing is a serious problem

Is this what's been happening to me? I'll dynamesh a sphere and get somewhere decent with my sculpt, then crash and I lose motivation and go watch something on TV... I'ts been happening a lot with 4R7 and especially the 64bit version.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

^^^ These days, the lightbox has a quicksave menu which keeps an autosave every 15 min or so. ^^^

One of my first attempts was scanning a buddha statue. Here is my latest attempt with the same statue.
Thanks to Gearman for the help with masking in photoshop. Definitely saved some time with that.

One thing I learned is to NOT put your object on a colored platform. Notice the red bounce light on the feet. It was on a red utility stool. Woops.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

20 minute ~speed-barrel~

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

I redid the face and re-detailed the body. Now i'd like to do the clothes again.

It turns out that 3dsmax has a default cap on the resolution that maps will display as, so i was agonizing over why it looked so poo poo, which kind of helped me to learn how to use cages in the quest for a good bake.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
More NURBS:

To 3d pros: is this type of modeling marketable? Is there such a thing as product visualizer? I'm trying to escape low end IT and this stuff seems to suit me nicely.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Ledenko posted:

To 3d pros: is this type of modeling marketable? Is there such a thing as product visualizer? I'm trying to escape low end IT and this stuff seems to suit me nicely.

Absolutely. There's a pretty good demand for product visualization out there, especially in the automotive, electronics and beauty / cosmetics industries. Some people also specialize in modeling and rendering jewelry. I don't know enough about the product design industry to comment on the relative difficulty of actually finding that kind of work, but it's definitely out there, and I think there are a few industrial designers who post in this thread sometimes who can hopefully help you out further.

Oh, and your model looks quite nice as well. What did you use? Rhino?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Thanks! I used mostly Moi3d and Rhino in cases where Moi would not create good continuity. I'm also following a tutorial for making an Audi R8 in Rhino and that's turning out pretty nice as well. I only started doing this about a month ago, still learning as much as I can when I have the time, which is not a whole lot with a full time job. If I could find a gig that would pay as much as my current job, I'd be perfectly happy - I do realize that won't happen overnight though.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

sigma 6 posted:

^^^ These days, the lightbox has a quicksave menu which keeps an autosave every 15 min or so. ^^^

One of my first attempts was scanning a buddha statue. Here is my latest attempt with the same statue.
Thanks to Gearman for the help with masking in photoshop. Definitely saved some time with that.

One thing I learned is to NOT put your object on a colored platform. Notice the red bounce light on the feet. It was on a red utility stool. Woops.

This looks great! If you notice in the image I sent you, my platform is a mid grey for that very reason. I went and found some paint that was very close to 13% gray (using the digital mid-gray instead of the typical 18% for most non-digital cameras) for my base, but any light gray is perfectly fine. Also I recommend getting your statue up off the platform if at all possible. It'll help reduce those bounce colors and eliminate some of the ambient occlusion around the base as well.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thank you Gearman! Will definitely put something over the stool next time, or paint something gray, as you suggested. I have heard of using gray spheres or something for color correcting but I never thought to do it for this. Do you know the pantone color for that paint by any chance? I wonder if I can just buy something similar at Home Depot? Why are you choosing gray over white for keying out the background?

Scanned a barrel earlier today as a demo for a friend and tried out sketchfab for fun. Embeds well in facebook but not here for some reason.

Barrel

EDIT:

Updated the Buddha on sketchfab with a much better texture (and lighting) vs. low res polypaint. No other maps yet though. Gotta admit, sketchfab is pretty cool and not too hard to use either.

Buddha

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 19, 2015

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Don't have the pantone for it off the top of my head, but I might still have the name somewhere. I wouldn't go too crazy over it, and its probably not necessary to get an exact match. I went with mid gray because I can meter to the area and not have to worry about the exposure being off a bit. Also I'm quite lazy and if I don't have a color checker or a gray card on hand I can meter and white balance off the turntable itself. In addition, it helps mitigate bright bounce highlights a bit, which is a nice bonus. My backdrop is solid white. Both are very easy to select and mask out before processing.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been using 3dsmax since I started doing 3d, but man, modo with meshfusion looks really great for hardsurface work and more "subtractive" modeling techniques.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Hi y'all, I'm looking for some advice on placing 3d assets into to aerial footage. It's been about 3 years since I've done anything like this and back then I used syntheyes->Maya->AE. The stuff I am going to be inserting is simple building models from developer firms (CAD models? Image below) and something a little nicer for my clients demo reel. Both my client and his clients have a pretty low bar for quality, I'm looking to be on par with sci-fi channel VFX (and I've done that before on a couple of occasions).

Mainly I want some advice on camera tracking and 3d software. I've used AE's 3d Camera Tracker and got some ~ok~ solutions, nothing I'm terribly happy with. I know about the Tracking Tool and will play around with that next. I haven't tried to export any camera's yet. I guess I want to know if AE's tracking solutions are going to be suitable and I just need to learn them better or if I should use a 3rd party thing like syntheyes.

For 3d software stuff: I know Maya, I'm comfortable and fairly quick with it. I've done a little 3DS too. I remember it having a lot of presets for architectural type stuff and I found getting a good render was a little easier. I am also curious about C4D, and since I do more and more mo-graph stuff I probably should get into it some. What would you archvis pro's suggest for 3d software in this fairly specific case?

Is this a CAD model?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
use syntheyes, export camera and points to maya and render/match lighting in there. you'll also want to get a copy of fusion now that it's free - don't just render the building into the footage, render it with the lighting as close as you can get then color correct the building and footage separately to get them to match better.

personally i'd use max instead of maya but I doubt it makes a lick of difference in the end result. syntheyes and fusion i wouldn't attempt this without though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also as a alternate route I've done this a few times lately just matchmoving in AE CC 2014 (their camera track is getting quite good) and just importing my model directly into AE via Element3D v2 and going from there.

You have control over lighting, shadows, and reflections more with Element v2 so you can get some quite nice results.

It's great for quick projects that can still look good. But yeah delving deeper into syntheyes and Maya is gonna let you up the game quality wise.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I keep forgetting that Element 3d is an option, haven't successfully warez'd that yet but it's affordable and I could talk this guy into it.

I think I'm just gonna stick with syntheyes though. Me not being satisfied with AE's camera results is gonna stick in my throat.

And yes to HRDI lighting, dudes already on site and he likes gadgety photography things. Might as well show him how to get the source material for it.

Fusion is this one right?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

I believe he was referring to the compositing package, recently acquired by Blackmagic Design:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion

You basically get a NukeX-equivalent toolset for zero dollars. Pretty loving cool. I'm hoping they do a proper OS X port sometime soon.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Cyne posted:

I believe he was referring to the compositing package, recently acquired by Blackmagic Design:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion

You basically get a NukeX-equivalent toolset for zero dollars. Pretty loving cool. I'm hoping they do a proper OS X port sometime soon.

That's a hell of a lot cooler than that other thing.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Ledenko posted:

More NURBS:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238861&pagenumber=23&perpage=40#post441238622

If you're interested I have a job for you!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What is wrong with Maya 2015? Their interface is becoming more and more unusable and buggy. I mean it's a goddamn chore just every trying to select the right component or object mode.

It used to be all so easy but now 9.9 times out of 10 the tool gets stuck on a component selection mode or trying to go to group selection mode keeps putting the object into component selection mode and just on and on. There is no way to seamlessly edit an object any more as I have to constantly click off an object and reset my tool settings just to get them to work again. It's a mess.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I dunno, man. My markup menu might get stuck in a specific mode maybe once a week (12 hour days at the moment), but otherwise it works the same as it always has for me. I'm looking forward to them getting around to fully integrating the modeling tool kit tools, because having to quit out of it's OWN, SEPARATE COMPONENT SELECTION MODE is pretty STUPID.

That and it crashes a lot more than Maya 2014.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

mutata posted:

I dunno, man. My markup menu might get stuck in a specific mode maybe once a week (12 hour days at the moment), but otherwise it works the same as it always has for me. I'm looking forward to them getting around to fully integrating the modeling tool kit tools, because having to quit out of it's OWN, SEPARATE COMPONENT SELECTION MODE is pretty STUPID.

That and it crashes a lot more than Maya 2014.

People were saying Maya 2016 was looking pretty strong but I'm still waiting to see what the announcements are going to be. Given what they announced for the LT version it at least sounds like a lot of the modeling toolkit stuff will be better integrated.

Also, yeah, I don't have a lot of crashing problems with 2015. The worst thing right now is the acknowledged memory leak in the UV editor. That is awful.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

BonoMan posted:

What is wrong with Maya 2015? Their interface is becoming more and more unusable and buggy. I mean it's a goddamn chore just every trying to select the right component or object mode.

It used to be all so easy but now 9.9 times out of 10 the tool gets stuck on a component selection mode or trying to go to group selection mode keeps putting the object into component selection mode and just on and on. There is no way to seamlessly edit an object any more as I have to constantly click off an object and reset my tool settings just to get them to work again. It's a mess.

I don't have that problem and I use maya every day. Maybe try setting keyboard shortcuts for it?

Also maya 2016 is amazing. They improved modeling so much in this release. I can't wait to start using it at work.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Are there any feature rundown videos or anything?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

mutata posted:

Are there any feature rundown videos or anything?

Not that I know of. It's not announced yet.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

WELL GODDAMMIT ANYWAY

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
few people I know have been telling me to hold onto my hat for max 2016 too. there's been a murmuring buzz about both for some time now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Kinda glad I got the Autodesk subscription now!

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

BonoMan posted:

Kinda glad I got the Autodesk subscription now!

Yeah, because I can't imagine not being suicidal over a one-time purchase of the steaming pile of bugged out poo poo 2015 is.

e: I've just got the feels because I ran into two lovely things (latest sp broke manipulators and a certain script context we use...a lot) that are loving up my release schedule at the last minute.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 21, 2015

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Handiklap posted:

Yeah, because I can't imagine not being suicidal over a one-time purchase of the steaming pile of bugged out poo poo 2015 is.

e: I've just got the feels because I ran into two lovely things (latest sp broke manipulators and a certain script context we use...a lot) that are loving up my release schedule at the last minute.

Do you guys deploy service packs without testing it throughly first?

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

keyframe posted:

Do you guys deploy service packs without testing it throughly first?

No, we just had some ideas with the new state sets sequencer, which we can still implement, but it will mean a lot of refactoring because Autodesk. One step forward, right?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Handiklap posted:

No, we just had some ideas with the new state sets sequencer, which we can still implement, but it will mean a lot of refactoring because Autodesk. One step forward, right?

What new state sets sequencer?

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/max/3ds-max-2015-extension-2 about half way down there. OK well new to me. :sigh:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Oh 3d max. Ok got confused because we were talking about Maya.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys ever worry about the stuff you post on the internet being stolen? Even if it's just the renders and not entire scene files.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Ervin K posted:

Do you guys ever worry about the stuff you post on the internet being stolen? Even if it's just the renders and not entire scene files.

Reverse image search your favorite ones every once in a while. And add a small signature + website on the bottom to make them have to take more effort to remove it if they want to steal one.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Ervin K posted:

I assume if it's something serious, you'd be able to provide lots of evidence it's yours (new renders, wireframes, etc.) whereas the thief will have nothing.

If it's stolen and posted on someone's lovely blog/deviantart I wouldn't be too upset about it.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

KiddieGrinder posted:

I assume if it's something serious, you'd be able to provide lots of evidence it's yours (new renders, wireframes, etc.) whereas the thief will have nothing.

If it's stolen and posted on someone's lovely blog/deviantart I wouldn't be too upset about it.

Yeah that's basically my feeling. As with any kind of plagiarism the thief is ultimately only hurting him or herself in the long run by misrepresenting the quality of work they are able to produce, and as mentioned if it's a serious thing there should be abundant ways for you to settle that dispute in your favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea you have to be a special kind of stupid to steal work and try to pass it as your own in this industry but that doesn't stop people from trying.