Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
The only one of those that could potentially be forced on you is Alaska if you're western region. Guam and Puerto Rico are just alternates you can choose if you don't like what's on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

the culminator posted:

The only one of those that could potentially be forced on you is Alaska if you're western region. Guam and Puerto Rico are just alternates you can choose if you don't like what's on the list.

Maybe it's just because I'm sitting here and the windchill was -16 yesterday afternoon, but both of those places sound like perfectly nice places to be sent.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Spookydonut posted:

Wouldn't you just ask them to confirm them declaring a medical emergency?

It just sounded so made up. The tracon bought it and that was all that mattered to me, but I was fully expecting the other pilots already holding to start coming up with sob stories

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

kmcormick9 posted:

No comment.
I heard a new one today-
"Center we have a little girl with cancer who will be late to her 1 o'clock doctors appointment if we hold"

Did it seem like it was an Angel Flight or similar type of flight? Though I thought they usually used call signs like "Compassion."

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

fordan posted:

Did it seem like it was an Angel Flight or similar type of flight? Though I thought they usually used call signs like "Compassion."

Those guys have their own call signs. This was a regional not calling themselves medevac or anything.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
You can tell when they're medical...

Yesterday from MAN we were held short of the runway on departure for a twin prop to go past to go to BHX... hospital transfer and the callsign reflected it. As we got to approach on departure he was already being cleared for downwind into BHX. That's how big the priority is.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Anyone from Washington Center able to tell me what happened with 35/09?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Numbers and numbers and numbers.

Context? Nah.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Numbers and numbers and numbers.

Context? Nah.

You expect to much out of me. I do the numbers thing at work and my vidja games. Not IRL.

Sectors 35 and 09 in Washington Center got their map numbers lowered. For non-center dudes, a number on a board for each sector displaying colors. Green, yellow, and red. So it takes less planes for those two sectors to go to Red. Meaning re-routes. These two sectors are a link in the chain for all oceanic north/south traffic on the east coast. So it has been a nice little trickle down effect for all adjacent centers around washington center.

Please go en-route so you can contextualize my posts for me. k thanks

(honestly, I love you and you are better layman-izing this ATC stuff than me)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Ah that makes sense. To me a "map number" is the number assigned to the separate map graphics we can toggle on or off on our radar screens. They have common names, but the map number is what you type in or select to turn that graphic on or off.

The overall base control graphic for one of our positions might be "map 202." The graphic depicting geographical features might be "map 209."

We're going to need to drink together before I'm going to start to love you. It is how I connect with humans.

EDIT: Oh, my uneducated guess on the cause of all that rerouting is airspace redesign or weather. Unless it's very recent and isolated and it's that LaGuardia crash loving everything up. But I bet that's not in the same area, and you'd have heard about any of those factors. I have no clue!

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 7, 2015

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Ah that makes sense. To me a "map number" is the number assigned to the separate map graphics we can toggle on or off on our radar screens. They have common names, but the map number is what you type in or select to turn that graphic on or off.

The overall base control graphic for one of our positions might be "map 202." The graphic depicting geographical features might be "map 209."

We're going to need to drink together before I'm going to start to love you. It is how I connect with humans.

EDIT: Oh, my uneducated guess on the cause of all that rerouting is airspace redesign or weather. Unless it's very recent and isolated and it's that LaGuardia crash loving everything up. But I bet that's not in the same area, and you'd have heard about any of those factors. I have no clue!

I honestly have only heard word of mouth for the reason. That word of mouth has told me it was between the union and management to reduce the amount of aircraft needed in the sectors for them to go "red". Simply, they just wanted to work less planes. Not because of an event, redesign, or weather. Which was also my first guess. That was the reason for the wording of my original post about this. I want some clarification because that is some serious weak sauce to me and I would love to hear a controller's reasoning from those sectors before I make a make a worthless judgement.

Don't worry about drinking together. I'm much MUCH easier than that.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I honestly have only heard word of mouth for the reason. That word of mouth has told me it was between the union and management to reduce the amount of aircraft needed in the sectors for them to go "red". Simply, they just wanted to work less planes. Not because of an event, redesign, or weather. Which was also my first guess. That was the reason for the wording of my original post about this. I want some clarification because that is some serious weak sauce to me and I would love to hear a controller's reasoning from those sectors before I make a make a worthless judgement.

Don't worry about drinking together. I'm much MUCH easier than that.

That's the weakest area in the building. It's called "snow bird" because they are SUPPOSED to handle all that southbound traffic, but the numbers for 09 are set so low because of military airspace that sometimes goes active that most of it gets rerouted to the west (through my area).
The pilots hate it. New York hates it. The rest of ZDC hates it. ZTL hates it. ZJX hates it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm starting to hate it by proxy.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

The Ferret King posted:

Flying an extra 200 miles because of one sector

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

kmcormick9 posted:

That's the weakest area in the building. It's called "snow bird" because they are SUPPOSED to handle all that southbound traffic, but the numbers for 09 are set so low because of military airspace that sometimes goes active that most of it gets rerouted to the west (through my area).
The pilots hate it. New York hates it. The rest of ZDC hates it. ZTL hates it. ZJX hates it.

I had a lengthy response to this but realized I'm not hear to talk poo poo about how horrible other controllers at other places are. So I deleted it. But those sectors are complete garbage. Lots of personal experience with them. I like to think they are just getting their hands tied by management. I hope that is their excuse.

The Ferret King posted:

You should. Cormick wasn't kidding about what he said in terms of extra flying and who all it screws. I think he left out Cleveland or Indiana center also for who gets hosed. Not sure about the geographics on that.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Getting antsy; less than a week until the OTS hiring announcement.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pope Mobile posted:

Getting antsy; less than a week until the OTS hiring announcement.

When is it happening? Next Monday?

Also, a question I'm hoping someone might be able to answer-what do you think are the chances for a recently-naturalized citizen to get in?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
March 23rd, yes. No idea on the other part.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Naturally Selected posted:

When is it happening? Next Monday?

Also, a question I'm hoping someone might be able to answer-what do you think are the chances for a recently-naturalized citizen to get in?

All other things being equal, I don't think your citizenship status really matters, as long as you're legal.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Just finished the academy up today (En route). Its definitely an experience. Any of you guys have any insight on New York Center?

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

the culminator posted:

Just finished the academy up today (En route). Its definitely an experience. Any of you guys have any insight on New York Center?

You're hosed.

First off, congratulations on your three month funeral rehearsal completion.

Now, I have never personally worked at ZNY but I have met a LOT of people who washed out of there, or NY approach. I work with quite a few transfers from ZNY. They will all tell you basically the same thing. It doesn't matter how good you are. If you aren't "in", you are hosed. Now, some people will say this about air traffic in general, but NY ATC is apparently a much different beast in that regards. Play the game. Slob the knob. If you wash, do it sooner than later and don't beat yourself up. Don't buy a house. Don't make friends or get married. This is dark advice but any vet to this game will tell you the same.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 18, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

If you wash, do it sooner than later and don't beat yourself up.

Try to get to your 1 year first though.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

the culminator posted:

Just curious, how long before finishing the academy did you know your options and then get your assignment?

Not sure if you're local already but I work across the street from zny and live pretty close. I'm fairly new to the area but if you need any local advice or help feel free to pm me!

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I'm actually picking facilities in a couple hours. I heard a lot of bad poo poo about ZNY but a few instructors from there told me it was all hype, I'm not gonna risk it though.

the way they're doing it right now, they give you a facility list a week before you eval and then you pick facilities based on class rank. We had one boston slot, 3 ny slots and one miami that got pulled when someone in our region washed out.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Come to Miami.

Dooooo iiiiittttttt.

We finished our (NATCA) staffing spreadsheet. We had 61 people in our area two years ago, including 9 developmentals. Now we have 42. Including 12 developmentals.

:downswords:

And echoing the ZNY talk; go somewhere else. I've heard pretty awful things about ZOAs washout rate as well, but on top of that, ZNY or ZAU are basically life sentences if you DO manage to check out.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
unfortunately the one Miami slot got scrapped when one of the 5 dudes in our region washed out. Would have really loved to go there

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Come to Miami.

Dooooo iiiiittttttt.

We finished our (NATCA) staffing spreadsheet. We had 61 people in our area two years ago, including 9 developmentals. Now we have 42. Including 12 developmentals.

:downswords:

I think we bid 33 last year? We have lost one to retirement, another one goes in a month and several that can go that say they will before the end of the year. And we also might lose a couple people to a supervisor bid... We have one r side trainee, one that started the r side class this week and then 6 or so d side trainees. Gonna be rough.

Oh yeah, we also have the area union rep doing all he can to make us work harder by loving with loas which will make things easier for the other centers. Since we are here to work and all.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A lot of large facilities have matured since the white book in terms of how they handle trainees. What's keeping ZNY down? Aren't the old crusty guys on the way out by now?

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

the culminator posted:

A "New York, New York Kestrel 728 on 5598... "
R "Do you have CPDLC?"
A "No"
R Thinks: "Sod off to the back of the queue" says "Standby" and then answers 50 other flights

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
deleted

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 22, 2015

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

fknlo posted:

Try to get to your 1 year first though.

Oh this. Yeah, this.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Found out I just missed out on an opening in Guam that would pay $115k to move out there and another $115k to move back if you stay 3 years. Why the gently caress didn't anyone tell me about that? I guess there's a supervisor bid open as well, but I don't know if it has the same moving money. I have absolutely nothing going on in my life, I'd do that for that kind of money.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

quote:

Subject: TIME CRITICAL : Controller Bid

An off the street controller bid will open at midnight Monday 3/23 and be open for 5 days only. It will not be extended. They do not expect another bid of this nature anytime in the next year or two.

PLEASE advise anyone you know is interested of this opening ASAP.

Please share this widely.

Janice Deak

Acting Air Traffic Manager

Miami ARTCC

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Probably just a rumor, but it heard some of the supes on the floor saying that how the questions are graded/scored on the bio-q was approved by NATCA.
Also that people should treat it like one of those BS corporate hiring questionnaires. Of course math was my favorite subject in school!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The FAA will be hosting an online job fair for aviation career opportunities next week Wednesday, March 25th. This is after the ATC announcement opens, and that announcement closes on the 27th.

Web Job Fair registration here:
http://tinyurl.com/faawebfair

You can start setting up your USAJobs.gov profile now, even though the announcement isn't open yet.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 20, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

The FAA will be hosting an online job fair for aviation career opportunities next week Wednesday, March 25th. This is after the ATC announcement opens, and that announcement closes on the 27th.

Web Job Fair registration here:
http://tinyurl.com/faawebfair

You can start setting up your USAJobs.gov profile now, even though the announcement isn't open yet.

What kind of jobs are these?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The FAA's announcement didn't specify. Usajobs.gov can be filtered for jobs open to either current government employees or the public in general.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
I legitimately think my education, experience, and abilities would make me a good controller candidate. It is a huge let down not making it past the questionnaire though (I know most everyone else is in the same boat on the questionnaire).

Boola fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 23, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
An applicant, who passed it, shared their responses on the stuckmic forums. The FAA saw it, figured out who they were, and rescinded their tentative job offer. I haven't seen specific responses posted again for obvious reasons, and the criteria for this upcoming test are supposedly different anyway. So, information on the old questionnaire may not be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Already have my resume and everything else nailed down.

Boola fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 23, 2015