Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Raxivace posted:

Janemba is kind of a boring villain, and Gogeta is barely in it at all.

Janemba is badass, and Gogeta's moment is even more so, despite it being brief. Just listen to that music. And the Stardust Breaker! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Endorph posted:

Yeah Janemba is a super cool villain just because of how neat he fights. I'd watch an entire arc about him.

You can just tell they had a tonne of fun actually animating him. Like when he does the "dissolve-into-cubes" teleport.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Raxivace posted:

I don't really get the love for Fusion Reborn. Janemba is kind of a boring villain, and Gogeta is barely in it at all.

You were watching it for the wrong reasons then.

Saiyaman, Trunks/Gotenks trolling Hitler, Mr. Satan punches Zombies in the face.

Also if you didn't like how Goku/Vegeta screwed up the fusion dance then I don't wanna know you. :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Little Mac posted:

Couldn't Buu have magically turned any object into pudding and saved us an apocalypse?

If you wanted Beerus to get pissed off when the pudding tasted like a chair and kill everyone, then sure, why not

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Xibanya posted:

I never got the impression that the fusion characters had separate personalities -- I figure that the fusion characters are essentially what would happen if those two characters had a baby heh

"What would happen if these two characters raised a child together" is actually a pretty fun way of putting it. I approve.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Raxivace posted:

I don't really get the love for Fusion Reborn. Janemba is kind of a boring villain, and Gogeta is barely in it at all.

I like Janemba for the same reason I like Kid Buu and even comic book characters like Superboy Prime. He's evil, sadistic, and insanely powerful. I love that in a character. If he was recurring like Broly, I think he would be much better. Have him show up on Earth and start loving with reality there. That would be some serious havoc.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Raxivace posted:

What's awesome about the movie is everything besides what you cite as flaws.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly Janemba isn't even boring. Sure he has like no personality beyond 'is evil' and his only line of dialogue is 'Janemba" but the way he actually expresses that is cool and interesting.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If we're still on the subject of Dragonball questions: is Dragonball more popular outside of Japan? I mean I know it's obviously famous but it seems every Dragonball related thing to come out in a while has underperformed in Japan and done decently otherwise.

And are there any wild differences in popularity for characters/arcs/etc.? I always find this kind of stuff amusing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

mycot posted:

If we're still on the subject of Dragonball questions: is Dragonball more popular outside of Japan? I mean I know it's obviously famous but it seems every Dragonball related thing to come out in a while has underperformed in Japan and done decently otherwise.

And are there any wild differences in popularity for characters/arcs/etc.? I always find this kind of stuff amusing.

Dragonball Kai was canceled at the end of the Cell Saga, but Toei kept working on the Buu Saga because America wanted it. I think?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kai did really good ratings. The problem was that they were expecting ridiculous ratings. They were expecting it to do One Piece numbers, even though Kai is just an HD rebranding of a 20 year old show.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

mycot posted:

I went to middle and high school in Texas and I ran with the hispanic kids. They had all the stuff we didn't have yet on VHS. I can confidently say that Mexicans love DBZ more than Americans do. I also think I saw some Brazilian political cartoons that involved Goku - one involved Goku anally raping a politician :pwn:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Xibanya posted:

I went to middle and high school in Texas and I ran with the hispanic kids. They had all the stuff we didn't have yet on VHS. I can confidently say that Mexicans love DBZ more than Americans do. I also think I saw some Brazilian political cartoons that involved Goku - one involved Goku anally raping a politician :pwn:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly if Goku had to get a job this is probably what he would get

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
This is a photo I took in Barcelona:

Also I went to a fair in Pozuelo de Alarcón and I swear I saw a bumper car ride that had Raditz painted on a wall.

So actually I'll amend my previous statement to say I believe that all of Ibero-America loves DBZ.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
DBZ is super popular in France and in pretty much all of Europe (don't know about the UK).

Xenoverse sold like hot cakes, for example.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Xibanya posted:

I can confidently say that Mexicans love DBZ more than Americans do.
When I went to see "Battle of Gods", the entire theater audience was Latino families, wearing those mall-kiosk DBZ shirts I haven't seen in years. It was wonderful.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly if Goku had to get a job this is probably what he would get

He'd probably get fired for eating all the merchandise.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Dragon Ball has an extremely diverse fandom. Even within the United States, there's an absolutely huge African-American fanbase, and there are a couple DBZ references in rap. That's why it's such a big deal for Toonami right now, because even people who don't care about anime love the hell out of Dragon Ball. It's universal.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

my parents are aware of what DBZ is, vaguely, which means a lot

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Endorph posted:

Honestly Janemba isn't even boring. Sure he has like no personality beyond 'is evil' and his only line of dialogue is 'Janemba" but the way he actually expresses that is cool and interesting.

Excuse me, his only dialogue is "I do not like" in French. :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

DBZ is super popular in France and in pretty much all of Europe (don't know about the UK).

I can't speak for nowadays because I don't have kids, but basically everyone who knew about it growing up in my day was into it like it was the best thing ever. I don't suppose it was any different to any other country in that regard.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The only person I've ever heard say anything bad about it was my mother, and that was when she was on her "Pokémon are of the Devil" kick. She's mellowed out since.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DBZ having such a diverse fanbase is really cool and awesome. I wonder how the differences in each culture account for such an enthusiastic response to the series- do kids in Mexico relate to it differently than French kids or African-American kids?

Shindragon posted:

You were watching it for the wrong reasons then.

Saiyaman, Trunks/Gotenks trolling Hitler, Mr. Satan punches Zombies in the face.

Also if you didn't like how Goku/Vegeta screwed up the fusion dance then I don't wanna know you. :colbert:

Those are all good moments, but still seem a little too minor to make me love the movie like others do apparently.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 17, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I kept my love of DBZ a secret from my parents because they banned Pokemon when I was nine and made me get rid of all my cards and toys because I was "too obsessed" and I was terrified they would do that with anything else I liked. I would change the channel if I heard them coming. To this day they have no idea...

Actually, to this day they have no idea what my interests, goals, or personal values are. Good job, parents!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Someone could probably do a legitimate thesis paper on the far reaching influences of this punchmans show.

No mater the time, place, class, or country, EVERYONE loves to watch dudes punch each other right in the loving face.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I was going to see DBZ: Battle of the Gods in the theater, but sadly I missed out because they literally sold out the one day it was showing.

A couple people told me it sucked and I didn't miss anything worthwhile.

So I just watched it now that I got Xenoverse and you know... it was pretty drat good. I dunno where all the hate is coming from. The movie was honest to god pretty funny, and remember, Japanese humor doesn't usually translate well into English. Are y'all forgetting that Dragon Ball started off as a comedy? And was really goofy throughout the entire thing?

The scenes with Vegeta were the best part of it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Aurain posted:

I can't speak for nowadays because I don't have kids, but basically everyone who knew about it growing up in my day was into it like it was the best thing ever. I don't suppose it was any different to any other country in that regard.

It was hugely popular when I was in high school, back in like 2000. Maybe like 40% of boys were big into it, and I think that only increased amongst younger classes.

Edit: The previous post is no joke the first time I have heard anything negative about Battle of Gods from anyone. Anywhere. Ever.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 17, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont like battle of gods as much as some people (the humor wasn't that great imo, the trunks/mai stuff was just weird, the plot was basically an hour and a half of HE"S TOO POWERFUL FOR US...) but it was still good

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
DBZ is super good. And it is super popular. It's just one of those cartoons that became hugely successful globally. poo poo, the first episode I saw was when I was abroad on vacation with my parents and I caught this weird green alien fighting some short guy on an island and they were just beating the poo poo out of eachother in a way that I had never seen in a cartoon before. I didn't even understand what they were saying because it was in another language but I didn't have to. That fight was of course Piccolo vs 17 and I was hooked ever since

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was going to see DBZ: Battle of the Gods in the theater, but sadly I missed out because they literally sold out the one day it was showing.

A couple people told me it sucked and I didn't miss anything worthwhile.

So I just watched it now that I got Xenoverse and you know... it was pretty drat good. I dunno where all the hate is coming from. The movie was honest to god pretty funny, and remember, Japanese humor doesn't usually translate well into English. Are y'all forgetting that Dragon Ball started off as a comedy? And was really goofy throughout the entire thing?

The scenes with Vegeta were the best part of it.

I genuinely loved Battle of Gods. The comedy bits were genuinely funny and the punching bits were ridiculously awesome

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really dbz got popular because it had actual fight scenes. say what you will about the panning shots of scenery, charging up, or NAMEK WILL EXPLODE IN FIVE MINUTES, people actually punched each other. Compare that to american 'action' cartoons where all the action was pretty much people wildly missing with lasers.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

really dbz got popular because it had actual fight scenes. say what you will about the panning shots of scenery, charging up, or NAMEK WILL EXPLODE IN FIVE MINUTES, people actually punched each other. Compare that to american 'action' cartoons where all the action was pretty much people wildly missing with lasers.

yeah a big reason why I loved DBZ as a kid was because it was the most violent thing I was allowed to watch.

That and it was one of the few kids shows with a continuous plot arc instead of episodic poo poo.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Flytrap posted:

Someone could probably do a legitimate thesis paper on the far reaching influences of this punchmans show.

No mater the time, place, class, or country, EVERYONE loves to watch dudes punch each other right in the loving face.

OK, so lately I've been suffering from insomnia and I've been watching DBZ con panels late at night (honestly I should probably catalog and link with time stamps the better ones here) and there's one where Sean Schemmel discusses the DB story in the context of the monomyth/hero of a thousand faces concept.

He also mentions in that video how he's a huge DBZ fanboy now (he didn't know anything about it the first round of dubbing) and how he caught Kai every time it aired on Nicktoons. :3:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Endorph posted:

i dont like battle of gods as much as some people (the humor wasn't that great imo, the trunks/mai stuff was just weird, the plot was basically an hour and a half of HE"S TOO POWERFUL FOR US...) but it was still good

Yeah some of the humor fell flat like the Beerus sushi bit at the end, but it's hard to make every joke land, you know. And HE'S TOO POWERFUL FOR US is like 90% of all of DBZ so I've come to expect that

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah some of the humor fell flat like the Beerus sushi bit at the end, but it's hard to make every joke land, you know. And HE'S TOO POWERFUL FOR US is like 90% of all of DBZ so I've come to expect that

There also seems to be a distinct difference between what is humorous slapstick timing in Japan and humorous slapstick timing in the US. I've noticed some manga scenes that had me in stitches were awkward and terribad in the anime even if it was a beat-by-beat recreation.

I find dry and/or absurdist humor seems to translate rather well, however. Hey, a DB example!

In the General Blue arc when Goku, Bulma, and Krillin are walking around in the dark, Bulma and Krillin are both speaking in excited, frightened tones. Bulma suggests Krillin walk in front because his bald head will reflect light. There's a beat, then Krillin deadpans "...I find that offensive." (per the subtitles anyway.) um, it's funny if you actually watch it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
You know, now that you mention it, I remember visiting Europe with my family way back in the mid to late 90's and seeing stuff on French TV that was way beyond anything we'd seen in the American DBZ run. I'd totally forgotten about that, but I I wanna say it was Frieza-era stuff.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Xibanya posted:

There also seems to be a distinct difference between what is humorous slapstick timing in Japan and humorous slapstick timing in the US. I've noticed some manga scenes that had me in stitches were awkward and terribad in the anime even if it was a beat-by-beat recreation.

I find dry and/or absurdist humor seems to translate rather well, however. Hey, a DB example!

In the General Blue arc when Goku, Bulma, and Krillin are walking around in the dark, Bulma and Krillin are both speaking in excited, frightened tones. Bulma suggests Krillin walk in front because his bald head will reflect light. There's a beat, then Krillin deadpans "...I find that offensive." (per the subtitles anyway.) um, it's funny if you actually watch it.

Dragon Ball has a lot of absurdist humor, which may be why it still works in English. This scene cracks me up for some reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ziYeraYUU

King Kai getting a kick out of driving around on his little planet just makes me smile.

There's also a scene in the original Dragon Ball where Goku barges into Master Roshi's house, and everyone is like "holy poo poo, Goku, we haven't seen you in forever, where have you been?" and totally deadpan he's like "Oh, I'm just grabbing my power pole so I can go meet God." like its no big deal and everyone is just dumbfounded.

Dragon Ball also has a lot of infantile toilet tumor and as a giant manchild I still find poops and farts funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTnENeE6M_8

Guys, I swear, I'm an adult.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I wish Mira was fleshed out more. I like that guy. But Xenoverse basically relegated him to midboss status, and not even a particularly difficult one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
What I miss the most about Madrid is the ubiquity of Doraemon and Shin-chan merch in all the chinos. I miss chinos. I miss Madrid. poo poo.

DB's troubled localization history in the US is interesting. Various companies tried to adapt DB in the USA almost from the moment it first aired, but it always fell through for one reason or another. I always wonder if the owners of those companies feel like the guy who got replaced by Ringo.

I'm guessing it's the heavy amount of edits needed (or were thought to have been needed) that made it so hard in the states but comparatively easy in the rest of the world.

• Locked thread