Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Mimir posted:

I'm looking for movies about journeys by small groups or individuals across an unforgiving wilderness/desert/forest, where nature, rather than man, is the main enemy. Westerns, fantasy, or modern.

Van Diemen's Land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
A courtroom drama/thriller in the vein of A Few Good Men/The Lincoln Lawyer with lots of twists and intrigue. Really been on a binge lately.

I've seen:
To Kill a Mocking Bird
A Time to Kill
Amistad
Sleepers
Primal Fear
12 angry men

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
courtroom drama/ thriller is a really lovely genre imho. so much mediocre garbage not a lot of stuff like 12 angry men.

the australian comedy called the castle (1997) is pretty loving funnny though

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

speshl guy posted:

A courtroom drama/thriller in the vein of A Few Good Men/The Lincoln Lawyer with lots of twists and intrigue. Really been on a binge lately.

Anatomy of a Murder

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

speshl guy posted:

I've seen:
To Kill a Mocking Bird
A Time to Kill
Amistad
Sleepers
Primal Fear
12 angry men

A Civil Action
My Cousin Vinnie (it's actually a comedy, but it's really loving good, and probably the most accurate depiction of how criminal court works ever committed to film)
Murder on a Sunday Morning
Erin Brokavich

If The Good Wife is on Netflix or whatever streaming service you prefer there's like 5 seasons and that will seriously scratch that itch.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
My Cousin Vinnie really has no right to be as good as it is, although the Oscar conspiracy surrounding it makes it even better.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

What's the more entertaining movie to watch out of Jupiter Ascending and Chappie?
I'm well aware that both don't have the best reviews. Jupiter Ascending looks like it runs the risk of being a snoozefest, Chappie looks like it just ends up feeling like I'm watching all of Blomkamp's other work all over again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bewilderment posted:

What's the more entertaining movie to watch out of Jupiter Ascending and Chappie?
I'm well aware that both don't have the best reviews. Jupiter Ascending looks like it runs the risk of being a snoozefest, Chappie looks like it just ends up feeling like I'm watching all of Blomkamp's other work all over again.

I haven't seen either, but I'm pretty sure Chappie is shorter, so if it's terrible you'll be done faster.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

speshl guy posted:

I've seen:
To Kill a Mocking Bird
A Time to Kill
Amistad
Sleepers
Primal Fear
12 angry men

Definitely Witness for the Prosecution.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

speshl guy posted:

The Verdict - Sidney Lumet directing Paul Newman speaking David Mamet.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Marketing New Brain posted:

My Cousin Vinnie really has no right to be as good as it is, although the Oscar conspiracy surrounding it makes it even better.

Oscar conspiracy?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Sand Monster posted:

Oscar conspiracy?

Marissa Tomei won Best Supporting Actress for the movie and people thought it was undeserved and came up with all these conspiracy theories about the announcer reading the wrong name on the card and the Academy being too embarrassed to correct them or something like that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Marissa Tomei won Best Supporting Actress for the movie and people thought it was undeserved and came up with all these conspiracy theories about the announcer reading the wrong name on the card and the Academy being too embarrassed to correct them or something like that.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Tomei was awesome in Vinnie and totally deserves it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Skwirl posted:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Tomei was awesome in Vinnie and totally deserves it.

It's playing an angry, lower class, working person character. It's an "unglamorous" role that doesn't involve succumbing to a terrible disease, therefore it's "easy" and "unimpressive."

Like, I think Scarlett Johansson should have been nominated for Don Jon, but that's not an "Oscar worthy" performance even though it's the exact type of "transformation" the Academy loves to praise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Recommend for me movies that use the 'unreliable narrator' element, especially ones with good twists at the end that aren't predictable. AKA mindfuck movies.

Movies I've seen in the category (and mostly loved): Momento, Shutter Island, Fight Club, Primer, The Game, Old Boy, Mr. Brooks, Total Recall, Eternal Sunshine, Pi, The Fountain, The Truman Show, The Prestige, The Others and The Sixth Sense.

I've also seen Donnie Darko but I thought it was overrated. :colbert: But maybe that's just because I was in high school around then and everybody was frothing at the mouth over it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Recommend for me movies that use the 'unreliable narrator' element, especially ones with good twists at the end that aren't predictable. AKA mindfuck movies.

Movies I've seen in the category (and mostly loved): Momento, Shutter Island, Fight Club, Primer, The Game, Old Boy, Mr. Brooks, Total Recall, Eternal Sunshine, Pi, The Fountain, The Truman Show, The Prestige, The Others and The Sixth Sense.

I've also seen Donnie Darko but I thought it was overrated. :colbert: But maybe that's just because I was in high school around then and everybody was frothing at the mouth over it.

Identity, Following, The Usual Suspects, High Tension also fits, but I didn't like it.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Zaphod42 posted:

Rashomon
Repulsion
Eraserhead
American Psycho
Solaris
Spider

Secret Agent X23 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 18, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Seen American Psycho, Eraserhead, and The Usual Suspects. Loved them all.

I'll check out those other ones though...

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I've seen My Cousin Vinny and Marissa Tomei was fantastic in it, really no cause for some oscar conspiracy or whatever. The Good Wife looks like an interesting premise so I'll give that a shot thanks

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Zaphod42 posted:

The Adventures of Baron Von Munchausen

I'd also recommend Mulholland Drive, but if you've seen Eraserhead, you've probably also seen the former.

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 20, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

The Adventures of Baron Von Munchausen

I'd also recommend Mulholland Drive, but if you've seen Eraserhead, you've probably also seen the former.

Oh poo poo, how did I forget Mulholland Drive, also throw Lost Highway onto your unreliable narrator playlist (though the big twist happens in the middle I suppose).

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Zaphod42 posted:

Spoorlos aka The Vanishing

The Machinist

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Any movies about people struggling with sobriety/addiction? I'm on my 10th day sober right now and struggling, and for some reason seeing other people struggle helps. I've already seen Leaving Las Vegas and Requiem for a Dream, though hopefully movies with more of a focus on alcohol than drugs.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
IvansXTC sort of counts.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Kvlt! posted:

Any movies about people struggling with sobriety/addiction? I'm on my 10th day sober right now and struggling, and for some reason seeing other people struggle helps. I've already seen Leaving Las Vegas and Requiem for a Dream, though hopefully movies with more of a focus on alcohol than drugs.

Oslo, August 31st is one of the best films of the decade, about a recovering drug addict trying to return to a normal life, walking round Oslo and seeing old friends. It's based on the same novel as a French film called The Fire Within, though I haven't seen it personally and it sounds like it traces a similar path (unsurprisingly) so I doubt it's worth watching both in quick succession. Smashed is a great little indie with a phenomenal performance from Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Best of luck staying sober; I hope you have someone you can call. Take care.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

IvansXTC sort of counts.

This one looks interesting, thanks.

Allyn posted:

Oslo, August 31st is one of the best films of the decade, about a recovering drug addict trying to return to a normal life, walking round Oslo and seeing old friends. It's based on the same novel as a French film called The Fire Within, though I haven't seen it personally and it sounds like it traces a similar path (unsurprisingly) so I doubt it's worth watching both in quick succession. Smashed is a great little indie with a phenomenal performance from Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Best of luck staying sober; I hope you have someone you can call. Take care.

All of these ones look awesome, I'll definitely check them all out. And thank you for the kind words man! 10 days clean right now and taking it one day at a time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Trainspotting is as good as it gets. Especially if you want to stay sober.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Trainspotting is as good as it gets. Especially if you want to stay sober.

Great suggestion!, the baby scene was absolutely heartbreaking.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Great suggestion!, the baby scene was absolutely heartbreaking.

Yeah the baby scene in trainspotting and basically the entire third act of Requiem for a Dream are both some pretty sobering :stare: poo poo.

The Fighter is also a pretty good sobering look at what addiction can do to you, starring Christian Bale and Marky Mark.

Sorry I don't know more films about alcohol in particular.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 20, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Lost Weekend is one of the first "message" films about a guy on a bender.
it's a minor plot point, but the main character in Walk Among the Tombstones is a recovering alcoholic.
Rescue Me is a tv show, but would fit.
When a Man Loves a Woman is about a married couple dealing with the wife's alcoholism

I haven't seen the first, but it's considered a classic and it's directed by the great Billy Wilder, the other three I like quite a bit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Both the book and film Lost Weekend are excellent.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Can someone recommend me a well-made action movie that isn't too over-the-top, too gritty, or cheesy (and preferably IS streaming)?

Something tone-wise along the lines of Speed or the Mission Impossible movies?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

User-Friendly posted:

Can someone recommend me a well-made action movie that isn't too over-the-top, too gritty, or cheesy (and preferably IS streaming)?

john wick is a pretty good action movie that is streaming. it is very grounded in reality but also kinda crazy at the same time. the main character is very believeable though even tho he kills like a million people with his own hands, melee weapons and firearms. the action scenes are amazing because its all based on real martial arts and not just a bunch of wavey wavey hollywood bullshit

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Any reccomendations for romantic movies with a dream like, stylized quality to them. While not a "romance" movie, The Great Gatsby (2013), is kind of what I'm looking for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Any reccomendations for romantic movies with a dream like, stylized quality to them. While not a "romance" movie, The Great Gatsby (2013), is kind of what I'm looking for.

Across the universe?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Across the universe?

Already seen it, but that's another perfect example of what I'm looking for.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I haven't seen either of those so not entirely sure, but To the Wonder feels basically like that. But fair warning: if you don't like recent-Malick you'll probably find it utterly insufferable

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Already seen it, but that's another perfect example of what I'm looking for.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus might count, or What Dreams May Come ?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

User-Friendly posted:

Terminator 2! OK, kinda gritty at times but not nearly as much as the predecessor

And Under Siege. Die Hard on a boat with Steven Seagal as a hyper capable Navy cook and one of these girls who jump outta cakes as his sidekick. Gary Busey dresses as a lady and shoots a dude in the face. Hella brutal kills tho, the bad guys get loving murdered in typical eye gougy Seagal fashion

• Locked thread