Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Was it just me or did anyone else get faked out by last week's trailer for this episode? They made it look like the Kettlemans were were going plead guilty from the get-go and needed Jimmy to return the money, so when this episode aired and the Kettlemans fired Kim so that they could continue to plead innocent I was actually surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Breaking Bad almost always had good previews in that way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GamingHyena posted:

Clients switch lawyers all the time if they don't like what the first one says. In real life it would be unlikely to be as big of a thing as the show makes it out to be.

True, but in this story Hamlin is taking poo poo out on Kim because of her friendship with Jimmy. It's still within the boundaries of believability.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Y'know, if anything, McGill's endgame is much sadder than Walt's was. McGill is a genuinely good, kind person, while Walt from the very start was a bit of an rear end in a top hat. Watching McGill twist into Saul is gonna suck :(

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 17, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Raxivace posted:

Haha, I wonder if the whole idea for Jimmy's plan came from what Nacho said.

Don't recall and can't rewatch atm. What was that?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Frostwerks posted:

Don't recall and can't rewatch atm. What was that?

"I like to rob thieves, that way they can't go to the cops" and he basically said these exact words back to the kettlemens in their living room when Mrs. K threatened to call the cops.

Is it true that Ignatio's actor's name has been in the credits of every episode so far? Has he been stalking him and later we're going to get screencaps of him just staring daggers at saul or making that v fingers at his eyes, rotating out towards saul, i'm looking at you motion in every episode? Like a murderous where's waldo?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 17, 2015

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Krinkle posted:

Is it true that Ignatio's actor's name has been in the credits of every episode so far? Has he been stalking him and later we're going to get screencaps of him just staring daggers at saul or making that v fingers at his eyes, rotating out towards saul, i'm looking at you motion in every episode? Like a murderous where's waldo?

Best post ITT

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I just realized that when Walt and Jesse drag Saul out to the desert to threaten him into defending Badger, Saul tells them he doesn't take bribes from people he doesn't know. The lesson the Jimmy learned this episode is that you don't take bribes from total morons.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krinkle posted:

How did walt get those guys in prison murdered after mike dies? Did he issue those orders through saul? If not I don't think saul ever got anyone killed or would push that as the main idea. I liked what someone else said maybe twenty pages ago how every time he suggested someone else gets killed it was to rule that out and remind him that if you're not going to do A then you have to start thinking about B.

Even when he asked, on his knees, in the desert "why don't you just kill badger" it was only exasperatedly wondering why he's being dragged into this.

That was me. I really hope the writers are consistent and never have Jimmy/Saul seriously suggest murder. I know they've compiled a Saul reel, so that should help.

Mike is another matter, they almost have to show his arc from vigilante to killing as a solution for dealing with problems (though not nearly as bad as Walt or Lydia.)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kim may be a good lawyer and get a sweet deal with the DA, but I doubt she's able to negotiate a death sentence down to 6 months probation.

Jimmy is still the best lawyer ever :colbert:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

A good poster posted:

Had the Kettlemans killed after Mike got the money out?
Probably phone Natcho to tell him where the money is (for a cut) and keep (badly) defending the Kettlemans.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

Probably phone Natcho to tell him where the money is (for a cut) and keep (badly) defending the Kettlemans.

Disagree. I think he would have happily defended the Kettlemans. Also if Nacho took the money, Kettlemans can't exactly pay him.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Krinkle posted:

I like this.

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that at this point, the last time we saw Nacho was when Jimmy gave him the little "whoever tipped off the family did you a favor" speech. It's hard get a read on what he thinks about that because he's not really giving anything away with facial expressions. He just turns and walks away. On the one hand, there's no way he's going to be all, "Yeah, you got a point, dude. 'S'all good, man, lol. Well, have a nice life, Jimmy. See ya 'round." On the other hand, I think he's probably smart enough to realize, maybe later, that yeah, that warning really was the best thing for all concerned. But even so, that doesn't mean he's just going to go away or even that he's going to forgive the "transgression."

My prediction is that he finds some other way for Jimmy to be useful to him.

Also, when he shows up at Jimmy's office with his little plan, he says, "Tuco doesn't know I'm here." I think that's significant. What I'm hearing is, "Tuco shouldn't know I'm here." He's not going to come right out and say, "Don't tell him" because it would make him look weak, and besides, he's undoubtedly confident that Jimmy won't tell Tuco about their meeting anyway. He wants to steer clear of Tuco, and he surely doesn't want to tell him something he'll react badly to. But what if Jimmy finds himself in a position in which he thinks the only way to deal with Nacho is to manipulate Tuco into taking care of him?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Krinkle posted:

How did walt get those guys in prison murdered after mike dies? Did he issue those orders through saul? If not I don't think saul ever got anyone killed or would push that as the main idea.

Saul did suggest that they should kill Badger in the food line in prison.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jerusalem posted:

God that was great, and amongst all the great parts I just want to note how hilarious it was when Kim revealed HOW Mr. Kettleman embezzled the money - just straight up writing fraudulent checks to HIMSELF for things that demonstrably never existed.

If only there had been a paintball business he could have filtered that money through....

Yeah—the thing about this episode that really kept me off balance and kept me from seeing how the story was going to go was just how unpredictable and illogical the Kettlemans' actions were. I mean, in retrospect mostly it makes sense (i.e. Betsy is really just that crazy), but at the time I kept thinking that no way could they possibly still be trying to keep up the charade of innocence after all that's gone down, even if they think they hold the trump card of bribery/blackmail. Surely they would take some new tack, and Jimmy would come up with some ingenious way to get them off, or something.

But I don't get what these two must have been thinking, even accepting that their "thinking" is suspect to begin with. What kind of embezzlement is it where they're dumb enough to write checks to themselves, but not dumb enough to spend the money as they go along? What is the plausibility that they will have "every penny" of the missing money in stacks of cash in a duffel bag, as though they know they have to hide it from the IRS like Walter did? Surely if they're as benighted as to just think they can skate through by keeping the money hidden and playing dumb to everyone they meet, they would have been enjoying the fruits of skimming off the top all along since day one. How did their scheme get started? They didn't have a life-changing event like Walt's cancer diagnosis to kick them suddenly into a life of crime. They must have started small, nickel-and-diming, and gradually over time Betsy came to depend on it, like once they'd got their nice house and everything. That's what the logical path would have been. But then what sense does it make for the money to all be there as cash, meticulously counted?

Incidentally, I wish we could have heard what they said when they lit into the kids about leaving their neatly wrapped stacks of $100 bills around with their toys. :allears:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 17, 2015

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Obviously, what Saul would have done is have Mike stage the robbery, then present them with their cash as a demonstration, before offering to launder it properly and teach them how to store it, for a reasonable fee.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Last Chance posted:

Yeah but that was him suggesting an alternative to a client. I doubt Saul would take such a course of action himself, unless necessary. Doesn't speak well for his morals, sure, but it was more about him understanding the realities of the drug business.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Last Chance posted:

At the time it was clear that Jesse was very "pro-Badger" and would never have agreed that Badger should die. He just did it to make a point about how dire the situation was, that there were few choices, and the only one was Jimmy In-And-Out (which also provided Saul a nice chunk of cash.)

Same thing when he suggested that Walt send Hank "to Belize"; he knew well that Walt was all about family with his "this is my legacy :byodood:" and would never accept the death of a family member.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah but that was him suggesting an alternative to a client. I doubt Saul would take such a course of action himself, unless necessary. Doesn't speak well for his morals, sure, but it was more about him understanding the realities of the drug business.

Yeah but here's the exact quote from Saul:

"Why don't you just kill Badger? I mean, follow me, but if a mosquito is buzzing around you and it bites you on the rear end, you don't go gunning for the attorney. You go grab a fly swatter. I mean, so to speak. I mean, all due respect, but do I have to spell this out for you?"

It doesn't really sound like he's presenting an alternative so much as the more obvious, "cleaner" solution.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

monster on a stick posted:

At the time it was clear that Jesse was very "pro-Badger" and would never have agreed that Badger should die. He just did it to make a point about how dire the situation was, that there were few choices, and the only one was Jimmy In-And-Out (which also provided Saul a nice chunk of cash.)

Same thing when he suggested that Walt send Hank "to Belize"; he knew well that Walt was all about family with his "this is my legacy :byodood:" and would never accept the death of a family member.

While I do think Saul didn't really expect "oh I could just kill them" to be a revelation in either case, I also think he was a little serious about pitching the idea. Helps to establish what he can do for the client, at the very least.

You have to figure Walt was just one client of many. Probably knows a handful of people even more dispassionate about murder than Mike.\

Last Chance posted:

Yeah but here's the exact quote from Saul:

"Why don't you just kill Badger? I mean, follow me, but if a mosquito is buzzing around you and it bites you on the rear end, you don't go gunning for the attorney. You go grab a fly swatter. I mean, so to speak. I mean, all due respect, but do I have to spell this out for you?"

It doesn't really sound like he's presenting an alternative so much as the more obvious, "cleaner" solution.

Sure, but I always read into it that he was more surprised that the drug dealers aren't considering pressing that big red button. He can make a murder happen, but it never really seemed like Saul's domain.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 17, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Krinkle posted:

"I like to rob thieves, that way they can't go to the cops" and he basically said these exact words back to the kettlemens in their living room when Mrs. K threatened to call the cops.

Oh my god, I'd love it if he pulled an She-Ra and it turns out that he's hidden in every episode, and at the end of the series, he asks the viewer if they noticed. Then it cuts to every shot where he's in the background.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

SwissCM posted:

Y'know, if anything, McGill's endgame is much sadder than Walt's was. McGill is a genuinely good, kind person, while Walt from the very start was a bit of an rear end in a top hat. Watching McGill twist into Saul is gonna suck :(

Saul still had more of a moral compass than Walt. He tried to tell Walt he was done with him after he poisoned Brock, and by walking away from Walt he'd be walking away from a lot of money.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
It's too bad by the time that Saul realized what a monster Walter was that he was too scared out him to chew him out like he did the Kettlemans. It would have been so satisfying if Walter just had to face a line of every major character in the show from Jesse on down to Gus tearing him a new rear end in a top hat.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
All this talk of Saul offering up murder as a legal defense and no mention of Belize?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

All this talk of Saul offering up murder as a legal defense and no mention of Belize?

We were just talking about Belize.

I'll send you to Belize!

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
The dangers of posting with an hour of delay...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I normally hate prequels, but drat this is incredible and could run on its own as a standalone show without watching BB (as I haven't).

Also, nobody else caught Jimmy's Bingo mic being the Bob Barker mic from The Price is Right? Maybe it wasn't deliberate, but it felt like it could've been a subtle throw-in given his modeling himself after Matlock.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

I normally hate prequels, but drat this is incredible and could run on its own as a standalone show without watching BB (as I haven't).

Also, nobody else caught Jimmy's Bingo mic being the Bob Barker mic from The Price is Right? Maybe it wasn't deliberate, but it felt like it could've been a subtle throw-in given his modeling himself after Matlock.
You did. Last page:

CBJSprague24 posted:

It felt to me like a slightly more subtle old-folks' attention-grabber which accessorized the Matlock look: it's similar to the mic Bob Barker used when he hosted The Price is Right.

Seeing as this takes place in 2002, Barker would've still been host.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 17, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa4Cy_Fp-Ac

is all I could think about.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

SwissCM posted:

This last episode made me think this exact same thing- it's really kinda sad that while Walt's endgame is being Lord of all Meth and more or less achieving all his goals, McGill just wants to have a legit legal practice. And seeing how hard he's fighting for it compared to what he eventually ends up with seems really sad.

Due to the lack of self awareness/respect required to be Saul, I imagine his brother and Kim have to die before the series ends. Or in the later case, come to some sort of irreconcilable conclusion. And man, that's gonna suck to watch.

On the other hand, they are really building him as more of an actual good guy hero than Walt ever was, so maybe he'll get something nice in the future Cinnabon world.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

RandomPauI posted:

Oh Jimmy. I love what you did with the Kettlemens but I can't help but wonder what Saul would have done.
Made them think he had given the bribe back by giving them the Secession Bux. He'd glue the binding thing on so they couldn't slide it off and show the face.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Last Chance posted:

You did. Last page:

Goddamn near every gameshow used those mics back in the 60's and 70's, didn't they? Not that the elderly don't appreciate Bob Barker but it'd probably mean more to them than just The Price is Right.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

RandomPauI posted:

Oh Jimmy. I love what you did with the Kettlemens but I can't help but wonder what Saul would have done.

Saul never would have worked with them. What they wanted is what Jimmy asked Chuck for initially when he was in prison, for the problem to just go away. Since they were unwilling to part with their cash money (even trying to deny to Jimmy that there was money), I doubt they could be convinced into buying a business as a laundering front.

Also, the Kettleman's hiding place for the cash reminds me of Saul's talk with Walter in the school, when Saul asks if he has the money buried in the backyard.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think this episode also did a pretty good job of explaining away the question "why does Mike do stuff for Saul when he works for Gus?"

Which wasn't a big deal IMO, but it was nice to see the question so elegantly dealt with.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Last Chance posted:

You did. Last page:

This might be the first time somebody didn't bother to read their own posts holy poo poo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He did say "nobody else"

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Data Graham posted:

He did say "nobody else"

That's a loophole.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Podcast just went up. I'm at work and can't listen right now but I hope they talk about the Mike catburglar sequence, that was hot. All dem apples :v:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I love how they wrote Mrs. Kettleman so annoyingly stubborn and he basically mirrored what we were all thinking and told it to her face.

Minus strangling her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I honestly thought Mrs. Kettleman was demanding a trial because she knew her husband would be found guilty and then she would be living it up with the money.

I'm not sure that is the case, though.

• Locked thread