Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

How many more people are going to act shocked about new posts in a thread anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Omnicrom posted:

To moderately ride this Giant Robo train how is GR: Giant Robo? The 2007 anime?

Kind of hard to tell since it was never translated. It's pretty hard to track down a copy at all.

The OP was pretty rad though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64OqH4S_ng

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 17, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Kind of hard to tell since it was never translated. It's pretty hard to track down a copy at all.

The OP was pretty rad though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64OqH4S_ng

I wish it would get fansubbed, iirc Chiaki K Konaka wrote it? That alone would make it worth a look.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Omnicrom posted:

No joke, when I saw 90 new posts in this thread and my immediate reaction is "Oh crap someone exploded, the last time I remember seeing the thread erupt like this was when clawshrimpy came..."

To moderately ride this Giant Robo train how is GR: Giant Robo? The 2007 anime?

I saw an episode at an anime con once, but don't remember anything about it. It's hard to find anything about it in English because it has absolutely nothing to do with the OVA besides sharing the name and the robot, so no one cares about it at all. I think at one point the first three episodes got subbed, somehow...? I remember that happening before everyone realised it wasn't the Giant Robo they wanted.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Srice posted:

I remember you from way back in the day from PA and dang, that sure is some 7+ year tirade against Gurren Lagann there.

Clawshrimpy jerks it to Digimon yaoi: the best thread.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Clever Spambot posted:

I remember a huge amount of the final act of the show was hikaru being a total dick to Misa for like no reason (no showing dates, flirting with other women in front of her), there is also that time he sat there and did nothing while minmay was being functionally kidnapped by her evil strawman cousin. Minmay is dumb as hell but hikaru is actively vindictive in parts of that show.

I won't lie, I had forgetten that was a thing that happened.

The way people act in Zeta Gundam is still worse but yeah I feel bad for liking Macross now.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 17, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

You don't have to feel bad for liking something. The characters in both Zeta and Macross are deeply flawed (more so in Zeta), but that doesn't mean you're supposed to dislike them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Srice posted:

I wish it would get fansubbed, iirc Chiaki K Konaka wrote it? That alone would make it worth a look.

There's like two episodes up on YouTube with subs but from what I can see it's like episodes 2 and 3 which is weird.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

Hi everyone, I know coming back here isn't going to go that well, and I'll probably won't be back for long considering I'm posting in here again, but since I've been gone, I've done a lot of thinking, and I wanted to at least try to present what I was trying to say before a little better than the way I did so in the past, I do feel really bad for the bad way I worded my arguments and stuff, so I wanted to try and rectify how I felt about things.

So I'm just going to lay out this whole GaoGaiGar v.s. Gurren Lagann(and other modern shows) thing on the table here, hopefully in a better way than I did before, and I hope you all won't be too harsh, and will just take what I have to say or leave it.

I had a very good conversation with someone about the two shows on twitter that I really feel I did a better job than I had in the past debating about these two shows. and now I'd like to extrapolate more on that here, to sort of try this one more time, and see if you guys can better understand how I feel that GaoGaiGar was so special to me, and why, even after watching Gurren Lagann several times, I just find it and other shows (in the same style I guess) too be too problematic to enjoy.

My main problem with Gurren Lagann really stems from how it tries to present a message that promotes manly bravado and the patriarcal ways of the hero group in such a way that any other emotion than "manly fighting spirit" is shown to be a weakness. By that I mean, Kamina was doing all of these things, the hitting, the rock-throwing, the passive-aggressive digs, the "you've got to be a man" patriarcal stuff that was done to get Simon to change, I think, is problematic. It's problematic because it tries to paint a picture that if you ever cry, if you ever have a non-manly emotion, you're weak and you need to embrace manly fighting spirit, because the message of the show is a very kind of toxic Shonen Jump "this is how people should act! Anything less and you're weak!" thing. Which I think really hurts the overall story, because Simon, at least in the beginning, was a very likable, if a bit nervous boy. He only became a toxic patriarchy symbol by way of tragic circumstance and a horrible upbringing. Kamina does get his wish and Simon changes, but...Simon doesn't really change for the better, he simply ceases to be that boy he was before.

And it's not just Simon, either, Rossiu's character derailment stems from the fact that he doesn't present as masculine, and he "thinks/worries too much". The show is very quick to paint him in a negative light, and he has to be corrected by the boy who had came full circle to promote the pro-masculinity philosophy by striking him in a moment of weakness. But that's all Simon does is hit him and give him a manly monologue, Simon doesn't hug him, hold his hand, let him cry on his shoulder, or ever try to show that being "un-manly" is okay or doesn't make you a weaker person.

It gets even worse when you look how the opposite sex is presented in Gurren Lagann, Yoko for example only seems to matter in the plot, as far as being a manly fighter reguardless of her sex, and basically not getting anything to do other than fight and be used for pervy fanservice, and everyone she cares about dies because of blind manly bravado, and Yoko doesn't get a happy moment in her life, and it feels it's just because she's a woman. Nia is arguably even worse than that. She's found in a box, exists pretty much to be a perfect waifu and force a relationship as hard and fast as possible for Simon so he'd hurry up and do an emotional 180 to god of manliness from the nervous but charming boy he was before, so the show can show us how great being stereotypically masculine is. then, she temporarily becomes a villain, but not really a villain, more like a glorified talking head who says cryptic things, summons a flying saucer, then leaves. And despite making it clear she was always like this, Simon succeeds in talking her down, just by mentioning her ring, at which point she transitions to Damsel in Distress who needs to be saved by her hyper masculine boyfriend, only for her to get quickly stuffed in the fridge right at the end.

And this is where GaoGaiGar comes in.

GaoGaiGar was different in that it tried to promote the message that ANYONE can be a hero, men, women, men/boys who have feminine traits, robots, aliens, happy, sad, angry, upset, etc. everyone and everything is treated as valid and important. GaoGaiGar was willing to show, through Guy and Mamoru's relationship, as well as Mamoru's relationships witht he rest of the main cast (3G, Kaidou, his foster parents, Volfogg, etc.) that crying? being sad? not being at your best or acting like the patriarcal norm for men/boys all the time? that's okay. In fact, the message of GaoGaiGar was almost the POLAR OPPOSITE of Gurren Lagann's. Where Gurren Lagann was all about manliness and pushing through everything by pushing aside everythiing you might feel besides anger and determination, GaoGaiGar was about embracing all of your emotions, being true to yourself, and how you feel, even in the darkest of times, does not make you weak, it gives you srtength. Just a different kind of strength.

What I mean by that is, look at Mamoru. He was the main character, and he does change and develop over the course of the story, but never major emotional 180's into manlytown. Where Simon develops a lot like you'd expect from a show trying to push manliness being paramout.... Mamoru doesn't develop like that at all despite GGG having characters that call attack names and act masculine. (mostly Taiga and the SYRG, but even the characters that are more masculine have their moments of nuanced emotion, more on this later.) Mamoru more develops more in the way of personal discovery, and his own path, namely bring a brave hero without having to majorly change himself, and the fact that, even as thing got progressively more and more messed up for him, learning to be responsible with his gifts, thinking he was losing his powers and feeling useless, upset when everyone was assumed dead after the first Primeval attack and got upset when even Guy broke down, losing friends like ChoRyuJin and Kaidou temporarily and Leo permanately, and even trying and failing to convince those trying to restore his homeland that the Earth shouldn't be destroyed, to even indirectly getting one of his allies girlfriends killed indirectly, even with all of that sadness inside of him, it didn't break him as a person, but he didn't use typical manly behavior expected of all young boys in the patriarchy to hide that pain, he embraced how he felt, and that was never shown to be a weakness, but a strength.

And this even extends a great deal to Guy as well! You know how Gurren Lagann fans like to point out that Kamina was supposedly more than his yelling and he had depth, despite us never getting to actually see much of that before he dies? All that does is make GGG look like way better of a show because that statement is way more true of Guy. Guy might have done some yelling and did badass stuff in a robot, but it's even more of an act than it was with Kamina. When you get right down to it, Guy only ever acts that way in combat situations, and even then, there are a lot of points where you can see the facade noticably cracking. Look at any time where he, in his mind, failed. A good example of that was the first Primeval attack. Even with his courage and fighting as best he could, it wasn't enough. and all of his friends aside from Mamoru were presumed to be dead at the time. The very next episode has Mamoru visiting Guy in a medical room, where Guy reflects on what happened in a somber tone, that "What's the point of being the World's Strongest Cyborg if it still isn't enough, that what good is having a steel body if you can't protect your friends, and all it does is keep you alive as the only sole survivor, and all of this, it was for nothing." We actually get to see differing emotions from "manliness" and it's presented as a valid emotion, not weakness. Mamoru just takes his hands and starts getting upset himself, crying softly, pleading him to not say that there wasn't a purpose. It's only then that Guy comes to terms with his sadness, and try to rebuild his facade, if only for the sake of Mamoru own mental wounds, and just say something, anything comforting. We saw a similar thing in FINAL when Mamoru and Mikoto had to help Guy recover the extreme self-doubt due to being mind-controlled by the chemical bolts.

And this wasn't limited to Guy either, GekiRyuJin even showed similar emotions when ChoRyuJin threw himself into the ES Window even with GekiRyuJin begging him not to do it, or the emotion of pretty much everyone when Leo just...died suddenly. Leo's death in particular was meant to convey something very simple. "Space is dangerous, sometimes people just die." Which reminds me of this. Mamoru and Guy felt similar emotions when J and Kaidou went into the Heart Primeval resolved to give their lives as they somberly talk about completing their mission on a white background... Which, compare that to how death is treated in Gurren Lagann, after being "killed" Kamina gets one final moment of Glory to further prove to simon how awesome being manly is, and hit him one more time, and then go out in one last fight, which really feels obvious, easy to see coming, and it's hard to care about it, because his death is treated with the same manly bravado, and not actual gravitas. a similar thing happens with the red-shirt deaths and Kittan's death, that they are all manly glory deaths, and nobody even adknowledges the deaths or really grieves for them.

Where Gurren Lagann was the typical shonen action show with a very manly bravado jump manga message, GaoGaiGar was, in many ways, a very bold experiment they had to make work under toy company limitations, and they do so brilliantly. Just being able to go "you know, sometimes manliness and bravery isn't enough sometimes, and being sad or upset or not masculine is okay!" was, and sorry for the pun, a very brave thing for the writers to do. Even just looking at Mamoru's costume in FINAL, or the overall more positive representations of the women in the cast, really gives the sense that it, unlike other Super Robot shows, didn't want to conform to normal gender roles, even the one really lovely fanservice character they had, Renee, had potential to be so much more than she ended up being for otaku pandering reasons, than someone like Yoko or Nia. At least when Mikoto turned evil, she got to be the last boss, not a messenger.

Hell I'd even go as far as to argue that Mamoru and Hana had a better written relationship than Simon and Nia, because unlike a typical perfect waifu and mansculine superhero boyfriend, it was a case where the male in the relationship was the one who was mysterious, enigmatic and submissive. It also helps that Hana had more regency as a character than Nia did, which......that's saying a lot.

Well, this post is getting huge, so I'll stop. I'm not expecting anything good to come of this, but I wanted to try one more time to construct a better argument. I hope it's at least a little better thought out than what I said last time, and all that I ask is you give this a fair hearing. I feel bad for some of the stuff I said last time, and I wanted a chance to clarify how I felt, thanks for your time.

Same.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you're actually agreeing with my wall of text.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Clawshrimpy posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you're actually agreeing with my wall of text.

He's being sarcastic. You're not that bad of a poster, just use less words and loving let things go.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

LORD OF BUTT posted:

He's being sarcastic. You're not that bad of a poster, just use less words and loving let things go.
I have a hard time reading sarcasm is all.

Anyway, umm, So...I really think more people should give Heroman a look if they haven't already. While it's mostly pretty average, it does have a few moments that does really make it worth it. Just, it does have a slow start and it does have some pacing issues in the beginning, and the main love interest is really really bland and boring, and sometimes the villains are not so great, but I think the characters and some of the story elements really do work well, maybe not GGG well, but well enough. it just has a problem with being consistantly good

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 17, 2015

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Gee I wonder why.

Unsarcastically though watch Dai-Guard.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Artum posted:

Unsarcastically though watch Dai-Guard.
Yeah, Dai-Guard is fun and has a good theme song.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Do give it time though the first 5 episodes aren't as good, after that it starts getting into good character building and sticks with that for pretty much the entire rest of the show.

The central conflict being about the best way to deal with whats more or less a natural disaster rather than people having a space war or whatevers always marked dai guard out as special.

Artum fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 17, 2015

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Clawshrimpy if you really want to take the heros journey and reform, step one is watching the dub of Brain Powerd

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

I have a hard time reading sarcasm is all.

Anyway, umm, So...I really think more people should give Heroman a look if they haven't already. While it's mostly pretty average, it does have a few moments that does really make it worth it. Just, it does have a slow start and it does have some pacing issues in the beginning, and the main love interest is really really bland and boring, and sometimes the villains are not so great, but I think the characters and some of the story elements really do work well, maybe not GGG well, but well enough. it just has a problem with being consistantly good

One of the problems I had with Heroman was that it doesn't tread any new waters that other hero series haven't done already. Sentai and Kamen Rider series have done a lot of the themes that Heroman's characters go through. Likewise many super robot series do the same. I was stoked when I heard that Stan Lee was assisting with making an anime. I just found it really boring and didn't like the pacing for the show.

I also support the idea that you should check out Dai-Guard. It has the heart of the super robot show through and through.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Blimey.

The first episode of Giant Robo is pretty drat good.

I cant help but wish more shows were made with longer episodes, twice as long but an episode every other week etc. (yes I know GR was the same sort of thing as unicorn)

Artum fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 17, 2015

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Artum posted:

Blimey.

The first episode of Giant Robo is pretty drat good.
The Day the Earth Stood Still? Yeah, there's a reason everyone won't shut up about it. It gets better, too.

Edit: Or are you talking about GR: Giant Robo?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Srice posted:

How many more people are going to act shocked about new posts in a thread anyways.

This thread died with the hopes and dreams of Shin Great Mazinger.

EDIT:

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 17, 2015

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zero_Tactility posted:

The Day the Earth Stood Still? Yeah, there's a reason everyone won't shut up about it. It gets better, too.

Edit: Or are you talking about GR: Giant Robo?

Day the earth stood still, people talking about it finally got me to get around to it after 5 years of knowing about it.

Mercury Crusader posted:

The super robot genre died with the hopes and dreams of Shin Great Mazinger.

Fixed that for you.:smith:

Seriously, gently caress you Captain Earth.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

quote:

The super robot genre died with the hopes and dreams of GaoGaiGar Project Z

Really fixed.

As much as I might've thought Heroman and Machine Robo Rescue were okay despite their flaws, I'm still mad about Project Z not happening.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 17, 2015

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

Really fixed.

As much as I might've thought Heroman and Machine Robo Rescue were okay despite their flaws, I'm still mad about Project Z not happening.

As much as I love GGG, a show dedicated to the two dumb kids is the opposite of what I want. It was hard to ever be excited for that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

KoB posted:

As much as I love GGG, a show dedicated to the two dumb kids is the opposite of what I want. It was hard to ever be excited for that.

Not to mention Final was a pretty nice way to wrap up the show as well as the Braves series in general. One of those things where I think that having a sequel would just weaken it.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

KoB posted:

Mamoru and Kaidou were probably the two most well developed characters on the show, and Mamoru was the main character, so much to the point that GaoGaiGar was you know, originally intended for him to be the pilot, it's just by the time his memories were unlocked, Guy had already been piloting it for a while, so Mamoru had to settle for riding along in StealthGao or going out to fight with space magic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That reminds me, I gotta go back and finally finish up Da Garn sometime. I stalled while it was being fansubbed what with the slow rate of releases and all, and never picked it back up. I liked it but man, it's rough to go to an old series while fansubs are in progress. Never know what's gonna happen.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

Not to mention Final was a pretty nice way to wrap up the show as well as the Braves series in general. One of those things where I think that having a sequel would just weaken it.

Project Z was going to be able to explore two really good things, though.

1. More fully explore Mamoru and Kaidou's characters by allowing them main pilot positions.

2. give much needed closure to Betterman By that I mean Betterman sort of ended with a shitload of unanswered questions, so it was exciting that Lamia was gonna be in this GGG sequel. It seemed like it was going to be just as much of a Betterman sequel as a GGG sequel.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 17, 2015

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

That reminds me, I gotta go back and finally finish up Da Garn sometime. I stalled while it was being fansubbed what with the slow rate of releases and all, and never picked it back up. I liked it but man, it's rough to go to an old series while fansubs are in progress. Never know what's gonna happen.

Da Garn is really good, you should do this.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Da Garn is really good, you should do this.

It is! I made it to around the 30s or so and got tired of waiting months for a single episode to come out. Pretty much the only reason why I stalled and sometimes it's hard to get right back into the swing of things when there's a long wait :smith:

I love its early 90s charm, it's still in that time where someone could run to school with toast in their mouth and it's completely sincere about it.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

It is! I made it to around the 30s or so and got tired of waiting months for a single episode to come out. Pretty much the only reason why I stalled and sometimes it's hard to get right back into the swing of things when there's a long wait :smith:

I love its early 90s charm, it's still in that time where someone could run to school with toast in their mouth and it's completely sincere about it.

I gave up on Da Garn pretty early because it just didn't have the same charm GaoGaiGar had. But maybe that's just because the earlier Brave shows were even more under the toy company's heel so it was even harder to do anything remotely serious with the plot.

I mean, Might Gaine did more serious stuff, but that was the one where Sunrise was starting to get visibly fed up with Takara's complaints.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 17, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eh, based on what I saw of Da Garn, Gaogaigar was hella more toyetic than Da Garn ever was. Felt like it had roughly the same amount of robots but it didn't have the endless amount of gimmicky accessories that would be seen once or twice and then never again.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

Eh, based on what I saw of Da Garn, Gaogaigar was hella more toyetic than Da Garn ever was. Felt like it had roughly the same amount of robots but it didn't have the endless amount of gimmicky accessories that would be seen once or twice and then never again.

I don't mean the toyetic stuff neccecarily, I mean things like dark imagry and tone, and character death, and serious story elements.

As far as I could tell, Da Garn doesn't really have major character death at all. And it's almost as a rule silly and positive most of the time. Might Gaine didn't have it either.... until the last arc where the creators got angry and decided to do something shocking, GaoGaiGar got aroudn that problem with temporary character death, which was a great alternative they made work really well, and then dropped the pretense with a shocking permanent death during the final battle.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 17, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It does get more serious after its first arc. Heck, some of the things you're praising GGG for also happen in Da Garn! (And incidentally one of the writers for Da Garn would handle writing duties for GGG)

Like I don't know how it ends since I haven't gotten to that point but it feels more grounded in its seriousness than GGG ever was.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

I don't mean the toyetic stuff neccecarily, I mean things like dark imagry, violence, and character death.

As far as I could tell, Da Garn doesn't really have major character death at all. Might Gaine didn't have it either.... until the last arc where the creators got angry and decided to do something shocking, GaoGaiGar got aroudn that problem with temporary character death, and then dropped the pretense with a shocking permanent death during the final battle.

You should have kept watching Da Garn, in one episode the bad guy captures one of the robots and tortures him for information, and then said robot is killed with geysers of robot blood shooting out of him. They're brought back with an upgrade the next episode, of course, but it was still really shocking to see. Outside of that, Da Garn is a pretty hopeful and funny series, and that's what I like so much about it. It never quite reaches the high points of GGG, but it's much more consistent in quality in my opinion.

Srice posted:

It does get more serious after its first arc. Heck, some of the things you're praising GGG for also happen in Da Garn! (And incidentally one of the writers for Da Garn would handle writing duties for GGG)

Like I don't know how it ends since I haven't gotten to that point but it feels more grounded in its seriousness than GGG ever was.

Yeah, this is part of why I like it, Seiji's reactions to what was going on around him seemed much more "real" than the cartoonishness of GGG. Seiji is a really great kid protagonist, the way he reacts and deals with things are believably how a 10 year old would act.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 17, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also it's important to remember that GGG's first episode opens up with a field trip on an island made of garbage and ends with a boy turning into a fairy. Every Braves show I have looked at starts out being goofy as gently caress.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

Maybe it's because I really don't like the protagonist, Seiji just isn't as compelling as Mamoru or Guy was. And the villains are kinda boring and are annoying. As least Penchinon had charm.

Hell I'd even argue he isn't even as interesting as Might was in the, what 8-10 episodes of Might Gaine that actually got subbed. And Might Gaine still isn't even that great. (the saddest thing about Might Gaine not being fully translated is it's really, REALLY boring until you get to the part where the creators flip the table. Think the first arc of GaoGaiGar was slow, repetitive and boring? Oh boy...)

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 17, 2015

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

Maybe it's because I really don't like the protagonist, Seiji just isn't as compelling as Mamoru or Guy.

Hell I'd even argue he isn't even as interesting as Might was in the, what 8-10 episodes of Might Gaine that actually got subbed. And Might Gaine still isn't even that great. (the saddest thing about Might Gaine not being fully translated is it's really, REALLY boring until you get to the part where the creators flip the table. Think the first arc of GaoGaiGar was slow, repetitve and boring? Oh boy....)

You should really finish Da Garn, Seiji's growth over the series as a whole is one of my favorite aspects of it. He's not as compelling in those early episodes because he's still coasting on his invincible robot friends. It's when poo poo really hits the fan that we get to see what he's made out of.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

GorfZaplen posted:

You should really finish Da Garn, Seiji's growth over the series as a whole is one of my favorite aspects of it. He's not as compelling in those early episodes because he's still coasting on his invincible robot friends. It's when poo poo really hits the fan that we get to see what he's made out of.
True, it's just, I just had a hard time getting over how immature he acts, I guess. Like when he's hitting on those girls at the beach or other such stuff makes me think of him as a standard dudebro robot show protagonist. Which is why I think in GGG they went in such a different direction with Mamoru to make him the polar opposite of that.

I'd even argue that Might had a little more class than that and came off less like a dudebro.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'll say this, I'm gonna second watching Dai-Guard and recommend GunXSword as well. That anime owns bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Seiji is pretty immature but that just makes him feel a lot more real to me than any of GGG's cast ever did. Makes sense to me that a kid that age would be interested in talking to attractive ladies and shirking responsibilities in favor of having some fun. Nothing "dudebro"-y about that, and of course he eventually becomes a more responsible person later on after poo poo happens.

• Locked thread