Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

xzzy posted:

Of course Chicago's rail fails spectacularly in many other ways to make up for the ability to sip some booze en route.

Like, say, zero parking in the suburbs. Naperville has a ~8 year waiting list just to get a parking permit at the train station. :suicide:

It's a problem with many other suburbs too.

It wouldn't be Illinois if they didn't cock up and corrupt everything that had potential to benefit its taxpayers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

PT6A posted:

Why is it that, when it comes to parking, no one ends up advocating for the free-market solution when it's obviously ideal? Raise prices until there's around 95% occupancy during peak times. Voi-la! Don't like it? Take the bus.
It's a trend here at hospitals to have Q-Park or some other commercial entity run their parking for them. Generally this means that you end up paying anywhere between 6 to 12 euro an hour to park at a goddamn hospital. So anyone with the ability to walk a few hundred metres parks down the street in the nearest residential area, because that's free, and generally make the lives of the people who live there miserable as what used to be a nice quiet street has suddenly become a noisy and busy parking area.
People won't just take the bus, they will just park a bit further down the street and walk the last few hundred metres instead.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PT6A posted:

Why is it that, when it comes to parking, no one ends up advocating for the free-market solution when it's obviously ideal? Raise prices until there's around 95% occupancy during peak times. Voi-la! Don't like it? Take the bus.

Parking is hell http://freakonomics.com/2013/03/13/parking-is-hell-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

When I'm downtown and there's no street parking for $1 an hour that I can easily take, then I happily take a pay lot just for convenience. When I know it's going to be $15 or more to park, I weigh the option of the light-rail which is $16 for the two of us on a round trip versus the inconvenience. What really upsets me is the neighborhoods like Capitol Hill and Highlands that have few pay lots and lots of residences crammed on tiny streets. Or Baker St that has a lot of free parking and super high demand on the weekends, so very few spots available or cramming into neighborhoods.

What I find interesting is the parking for the Broncos is the same cost for every game and it's cheaper than the surrounding lots. My favorite lot is $30, but you have to be there about 5 hours before the game, which is fine for tailgating. If you're late though, it's 40-60 depending on the game and location.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gorson posted:

On Chicago's Metra you can actually drink on the train. I lived there for 4 years (suburbs, actually) and we'd walk down to the Metra station with our booze to get to downtown. It was loving great. 20 minutes of kicking back with a drink vs 1.5 hours of mind-numbing traffic and fighting for parking spots.

If you have $2000 and it isn't rush hour, you can rent an "L" train to party on:
http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/02/you-can-rent-chicagos-l-train-for-parties/385961/

(no drinking, sadly)

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
Been saving up my dashcam footage for a while so I'm going to dump it here because the dashcam thread seems to be more about tech than videos.
I present; Video evidence of why I am an unrepentant truck driver;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Y72Sf1zl4
"I just CAN'T be behind a truck!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AShs8KF_rU4
"Left Lane Ends" signs don't apply to me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfkpIYDd8AE
"gently caress your left turn, AND that stop sign, gently caress it too."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6DelcuVPZk
Passing on the right, disregard for turn signal and moving to take the lane. I honestly did not see this guy until he was at my hood he was so dug in to my blind spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA8AUvPx_UM
Who needs to use turn signals or check their mirrors when the other guy will nearly go sideways to avoid you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qECScRYqROw
This dickhead seemed to have taken it personally that I was in the left lane, even though I was doing 70 in a 65. Last I heard he had his license suspended for trying to force an accident with me and a host of previous offenses. (No sound, I had to give out personal info to the police.)

This is just a small smattering of what I have saved in the past week, usually if I feel I need to hit the record button I save it for a week and delete it just in case someone wants to call safety and complain against me. Things like this happen to/around me at least once a day, if not multiple times a day.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have to ask, why are you cruising in the left lane while the right lane looks empty?

(Second video, mostly)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 17, 2015

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I have to ask, why are you cruising in the left lane while the right lane looks empty?

(Second video, mostly)

I was passing another truck who decided to speed up, I cropped that out for brevity. (Also, it was the middle lane right up until that point.)

\/\/\/
I changed lanes to let that white car loose, he'd been jockeying around behind me for some time. Speed limit there in Katy is 65, I do about 70 through there and that was the speed I was making before I went to pass the white car and Excursion(?) by the end of the video we were doing 50 and the police dispatch was telling me to keep sight of him. I governed my truck at 72, I figured that if he wanted to do 50 it'd be easier to keep track of him if I kept him at 50. Also, depth is hard to gauge with this camera, one lens is zoomed, the other fish-eye, to help out with depth, the first video that car was about a foot from my bumper at time of horn, and about three car lengths ahead when the license plate comes into view. Also, I stayed there because if he wanted to drop back and brake-check me, I would have had wide open territory to the left to do an emergency ditch-dive to instead of a lane of traffic on either side.

0rganDonor fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 17, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

0rganDonor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qECScRYqROw
This dickhead seemed to have taken it personally that I was in the left lane, even though I was doing 70 in a 65. Last I heard he had his license suspended for trying to force an accident with me and a host of previous offenses. (No sound, I had to give out personal info to the police.)
I'm not trying to defend this guy because he's clearly a dangerous rear end in a top hat, but:
a: the first time you went into the left lane, I have no clue why you did it, especially as you pass nothing and seem to have no issues moving back over.
b: You get really close to him. I don't see any brake lights, so he's just slowing down with engine brakes. See 2:13. He's not slowing down much, he's holding with that lexus (a brake check at 65 would have the lexus fly by), you pulled up on him. And at the final "stand-off" you merge behind him with very little following distance, meaning he didn't even instigate that close following distance instance. I was waiting the whole video for this rear end in a top hat to brake check you hard, and if you had, it would have been bad.
And I can tell you, due to the following distances involved, you'd have gotten some proportion of fault, even with or even because of the damages. Wasn't worth the dick measuring contest, should have gotten his plate and then backed the gently caress off (now, this is easier said than done, I might have done exactly what you did, but with the cold, sober reality of the internet, it probably wasn't the reasonable choice.)
He may be an rear end in a top hat, but everyone else watching on the road was probably thinking "what a pair of loving assholes."

nm fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 17, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

0rganDonor posted:

I was passing another truck who decided to speed up, I cropped that out for brevity. (Also, it was the middle lane right up until that point.)

Fair enough, I just thought I'd ask.

I do find "elephant races" to be probably one of the most aggravating things on the road. It's like some people don't understand that <1mph speed difference does not make for safe overtaking.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I do find "elephant races" to be probably one of the most aggravating things on the road. It's like some people don't understand that <1mph speed difference does not make for safe overtaking.

Me too, but at that point where I20 crosses into SC the speed limit goes from 55 to 65 and his truck seemed to be governed at 62-64 while mine runs 72. So the minute speed gap didn't last for too long. I'd like to point out though, for anyone driving westbound there and gets angry at all the trucks suddenly shifting from the right to the left lane; There is a pothole that, if hit right, will literally throw trucks into the Augusta Canal: http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2014-06-26/divers-recover-body-truck-driver-augusta-canal

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

0rganDonor posted:

Me too, but at that point where I20 crosses into SC the speed limit goes from 55 to 65 and his truck seemed to be governed at 62-64 while mine runs 72. So the minute speed gap didn't last for too long. I'd like to point out though, for anyone driving westbound there and gets angry at all the trucks suddenly shifting from the right to the left lane; There is a pothole that, if hit right, will literally throw trucks into the Augusta Canal: http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2014-06-26/divers-recover-body-truck-driver-augusta-canal

:stare:

Yeah OK, I'd say that is a valid reason to change lanes. Jesus.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
What these videos reminded me of is how ridiculous American cars look from behind with their puckered-up butthole license plates. It's so drat ugly!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:catstare:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KozmoNaut posted:

Trust me, I don't like being the elephant in the elephant race.

One time in New Jersey I was heading west on I-80 . There were 4 lanes, and there was a pickup towing a boat in lane D going about 50, speed limit was 55, traffic was going 65. I got my 18 wheeler into lane C to pass him, got 90% of the way past him, and then he accelerated to 75 and left me in the dust and stuck in lane C with cars zipping around me.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

0rganDonor posted:

This is just a small smattering of what I have saved in the past week, usually if I feel I need to hit the record button I save it for a week and delete it just in case someone wants to call safety and complain against me. Things like this happen to/around me at least once a day, if not multiple times a day.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is that you have a really wimpy car horn instead of a loud truck horn.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

loving old people and their irresponsible offspring that don't take care of their goddamn parents.

Some fossilized dickhole just casually rolls through a four way stop, never touches the brakes, no signal, just rolls right up and is all "yeah I totally have the right of way" and makes a left turn with cars from every direction laying on the horn. I had a good look at him as he rolled past and gave zero indication that he ever realized people were trying to get his attention.

Annual road tests for geezers, please. :argh:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I made a mistake yesterday and cut it a little close on a right-turn-on-red situation. There is an intersection where the southbound lane gets a solid green turn signal before traffic can go north, and then it turns to a regular green light where left turn has to yield to oncoming traffic. I was going west and saw that cars were still turning left, so I get to my red light, pause, and start making my turn when I see that north-south traffic has a green light and a pickup is bearing down on the intersection. I had enough room to make my turn, but it was still close to cutting this dude off, and I waved 'sorry' at him. So, he jumped on my rear end, flashed his brights, and cut a bike lane to give me a tough guy look.

This intersection

He was just breaking into the intersection by the time I had completed my turn.

The street that goes east-west gets a lot of traffic because a of a freeway on ramp, so there is always a ton of cars turning left onto it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Probably ABP, but so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyldcogFacg

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Stop. That's not actually something someone did. I can't wrap my head around someone being so daft.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

GramCracker posted:

Stop. That's not actually something someone did. I can't wrap my head around someone being so daft.

They're English.. Oh gawd..

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
As someone noted the last time that was posted, I wonder how many loops she would have made if the beetle hadn't pulled up to the pump.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Geoj posted:

As someone noted the last time that was posted, I wonder how many loops she would have made if the beetle hadn't pulled up to the pump.

Back in the before times, in the long long ago, I worked at a gas station. I witnessed similar things happen on many occasions. I once saw someone that made 3 attempts and then left with tires squealing in anger. Obviously. their inability to park on the proper side was our fault.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CannonFodder posted:

Trust me, I don't like being the elephant in the elephant race.

One time in New Jersey I was heading west on I-80 . There were 4 lanes, and there was a pickup towing a boat in lane D going about 50, speed limit was 55, traffic was going 65. I got my 18 wheeler into lane C to pass him, got 90% of the way past him, and then he accelerated to 75 and left me in the dust and stuck in lane C with cars zipping around me.

A quick summation of the thought pattern of the average driver on a motorway:

Well, you can't just let other people overtake, because that would mean they were winning. And if they're winning, you're losing, and that simply cannot stand.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, you can't just let other people overtake, because that would mean they were winning. And if they're winning, you're losing, and that simply cannot stand.

This is what is sat through 260 miles of today.

And i drive at 62 on the motorway and sit in the slow lane with the trucks, but overtake one car and they get the arse over it and have to overtake, just to be in front. Then they slow down to 55 and piss off the truck drivers as well.

:argh:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KozmoNaut posted:

I wish there were some sort of violent, legal recourse against this sort of rear end in a top hat.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
My wife and I were coming back from a trip to San Diego today. Going east on I-8 out of Jacumba, my wife notices the odor of formaldehyde? We see a cloud of smoke. Then we pass a semi cruising down the mountain with their trailer brakes on fire. No amount of honking and pointing could get this guy to stop. So I tried to well ahead of him to avoid getting caught in the inevitable accident and called the Highway Patrol. Hope his truck didn't burn to the ground!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Armacham posted:

My wife and I were coming back from a trip to San Diego today. Going east on I-8 out of Jacumba, my wife notices the odor of formaldehyde? We see a cloud of smoke. Then we pass a semi cruising down the mountain with their trailer brakes on fire. No amount of honking and pointing could get this guy to stop. So I tried to well ahead of him to avoid getting caught in the inevitable accident and called the Highway Patrol. Hope his truck didn't burn to the ground!

"Trying to stop" is probably what he was doing that led to the brakes start on fire

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

"Trying to stop" is probably what he was doing that led to the brakes start on fire

One would hope, but he seemed relatively unconcerned considering that his vehicle was bursting into flames.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Armacham posted:

One would hope, but he seemed relatively unconcerned considering that his vehicle was bursting into flames.

Would you rather he panicked?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It took me a minute to figure out what was wrong with this cement truck today.

At first I thought it might be those extra wheels that fold down when loaded (which it was) but nope, those were up front. I stayed very far away from it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

Would you rather he panicked?
Ideally his vehicle would have been appropriately maintained so that it wouldn't catch on fire. Also it would be nice if the failure of a single brake on his trailer doesn't prevent him from pulling over.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Armacham posted:

Ideally his vehicle would have been appropriately maintained so that it wouldn't catch on fire. Also it would be nice if the failure of a single brake on his trailer doesn't prevent him from pulling over.

An appropriately maintained truck can still toast the brakes if the driver is a moron, this is what engine brakes are for on big rigs. It's really just driver error that will cause that, but once it happens there also isn't anything they can do except ride it out and hope the brakes cool enough before they kill someone or find a truck runoff.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

DEAR RICHARD posted:

He was just breaking into the intersection by the time I had completed my turn.

The street that goes east-west gets a lot of traffic because a of a freeway on ramp, so there is always a ton of cars turning left onto it.

Breaking and entering is a crime. If you witness it you should call the police.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Armacham posted:

Hot or on fire?

Worst thing to do when they are superhot is to stop. Even on fire, worst thing to do is to stop.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

Hot or on fire?

Worst thing to do when they are superhot is to stop. Even on fire, worst thing to do is to stop.

Literally on fire. So what are you supposed to do then? What if the trailer had been carrying something hazardous or inflammable?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Armacham posted:

Literally on fire. So what are you supposed to do then? What if the trailer had been carrying something hazardous or inflammable?

Better to try to get to an area where there's a hose or something, or even get to a parking lot versus the highway, than to stop and burn down right there.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Armacham posted:

Like smoking profusely, or actually on fire? If they were just smoking he was doing what he is supposed to do, keep driving. The brake assemblies are designed so that the more airflow they get, the cooler they are. Plus if you come to a complete stop, you run the risk of friction welding the drums to the pads or exploding an airbag due to the unrestricted radiant heat.

Great Beer posted:

At first I thought it might be those extra wheels that fold down when loaded (which it was) but nope, those were up front. I stayed very far away from it.

And this is perfectly safe and legal, so long as it's not fully loaded.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Armacham posted:

If ya stop, where do you think that fire is going to head ASAP? Only thing keeping that trailer from going full fireball is the air cooling the brakes (and keeping the tires from going off) And that fire putter outta in the truck isn't going to do poo poo for a brake fire.

Great Beer posted:

I can't see for sure, but that looks to be another idle axle in the rear end end. Some of those trucks have dual steer axles, two center drops, two drives and a rear idle axle. But yeah, sometimes you'll see some poo poo, like there are some trailer haulers, and they'll pull the inner set of duals off everything and then only get their truck regged for like 50K because all they are hauling is those new trailers, on their trailer. Rumor has is that they get retarded mileage because they don't weigh poo poo and have less tires area on the ground.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

InterceptorV8 posted:

I can't see for sure, but that looks to be another idle axle in the rear end end. Some of those trucks have dual steer axles, two center drops, two drives and a rear idle axle. But yeah, sometimes you'll see some poo poo, like there are some trailer haulers, and they'll pull the inner set of duals off everything and then only get their truck regged for like 50K because all they are hauling is those new trailers, on their trailer. Rumor has is that they get retarded mileage because they don't weigh poo poo and have less tires area on the ground.

It might be another set then. The camera doesn't pick up beside me so I can't check for sure. Im pretty sure its loaded though. There's a cement plant about 2 miles behind me in that shot and the barrel was spinning. Do idle axles typically have tireless wheels on them as spacers? Because that's definitely what that gray cylinder on the inside of the left wheel was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Great Beer posted:

...Do idle axles typically have tireless wheels on them as spacers? Because that's definitely what that gray cylinder on the inside of the left wheel was.

Yep, we actually transport storage trailers this way. Fun fact, if you blow a tire on a dual wheel axle, cut all the rubber from the rim with some snips or bolt cutter and you're legal to drive on it again.