Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Werewolf Druid is the weirdest. You are the hunter AND the prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
So druid in deer form actually unlocks the deer skillset like the potion? Cool.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Wolpertinger posted:

You.. can be a cow/deer? And use both abilites at the same time?

No, no, just that from cow you can turn into a deer and back if you have the druid skill to do so. No dual wielding animals just yet.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Manbearpig.

I think the patch is happening as we type.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
developers add housecat druid so lazy players can be useless in game as well as in real life

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Games lacks the physics engine needed to make housecattery truly rewarding. How are you supposed to climb places and knock things off of those places?

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
just add a minigame where fur is accumulated and the owner has to decide between brushing, shaving, throwing the catdruid really far, or just basking in filth

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Alleycat MMO would be worth while

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
I messed around with this the other night and had a blast making an archer that kicks things away from me. I just wandered around for a little bit and found a portal in the middle of the lake outside of the starting town that led me to a sewer that led to the deep part of the crypt and I got crushed.

Then decided to start carpentry and go farm logs before going to bed. This game is insanely fun for what it is.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I am here to tell you a secret about archery. I started with archery/sword, and would use sword when things were close.. so why use that stupid bash skill?
Then I never noticed the gear that adds knockback to it. I'm 53 archery for a while now, and never liked my secondary stuff.. and was talking to someone else who mentioned using bow bash, and I said why? "For the knockback".

Holy poo poo. Shoot a thing, shoot it again, throw it a mile away, repeat. Wow.

I have been playing so terribly.

PS: fletching sucks give me resources I'll make arrows. Or fletch, skip carpentry, and I'll make your dowels and boxes.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

:f5: where is the patch eric. where is the patch to your game that i have paid no money for and for which you are currently refusing money!!!

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Patch is up and made some qol changes especially wrt crafting and gathering level curves and production. Also some other crap, but that's what I care about.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

wtsnaename posted:

Patch is up and made some qol changes especially wrt crafting and gathering level curves and production. Also some other crap, but that's what I care about.

Butchering/skinning is no longer pure pain to level!

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
"There are a lot more apples spawning in Serbule now" thank you god. While I already got the 20 apples each for the tavern guy so my two animals could talk to him (and also my werewolf in wolf form because why not), leveling lowbie Foraging as an animal also sucks hard and my spider's in that boat right now until he can pick up grapes.

Also got a kick out of the louse comb = bone bug being fixed, that's one I reported. :buddy: I helped!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
- Combat status isn't based on a timer from when you were last hit, you should leave combat the moment that monsters lose interest in you and/or die.
- Bosses are generally tougher but don't (generally) have in-combat regeneration.
- Abilities that reduce rage were also generating their own rage, and that doesn't happen anymore. Combos that end with a rage-reduction ability don't key rage off the combo effect.
- Rage reduction abilities are now generally better.
- Single-target abilities cannot damage mezzed targets during the first half of a mezz now, if the mezz was applied by someone in your party. The exception is the Tell Me About Your Mother/You Were Adopted combo.
- Monsters won't shout for help when you do a disrupting ability on them, although monsters with LOS will still aggro.
- If a monster calls for help and an ally responds, there is an exclamation point that appears over the first monster's head.
- Direct heals (not HOTs) now apply the amount healed as aggro to all monsters in combat.
- Aggro effects from equipment and abilities have been buffed.
- Pig no longer has aggro boosts, but cow and shield have more/better aggro options and psychology gets a third level of their aggro boost at 52.
- Big gear rework, lots of stuff changed, check your gear. The big points are werewolf and sword gear got a big pass.
- Precision Pierce is no longer considered interchangeable with Parry/Reposte, Thrusting Blade is interchangeable with Sword Slash and is considered a basic attack.
- Most effects that key to "when armor is 0" now key to "when armor is <33%"
- The odds of crafting higher-quality gear has increased somewhat.
- High level foraging/mycology stuff has been normalized so some types of gathers don't randomly grant huge XP
- MORE APPLE SPAWNS
- Fish-filleting recipe now require the same fishing level as gathering the fish you want to fillet, but also give more XP
- Doing stuff to corpses (butchery, skinning) now gives you partial XP based on whether you're a similar level to the monster so NO MORE +1 BUTCHERY WOW
- Leveling corpse stuff from 30 to 50 is now slower than it was
- ARROW RECOVERY archery abilities have a % chance to add the expended resources as loot to the monster. Different %'s for different abilities. Multishot, Heavy Multishot, Bow Bash, and Snare Arrow have a 0% chance.
- Oritania is fixed
- And other stuff

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Noticed a mentalism change that wasn't in the notes: the armor/health/power wave icons are now the same color as their respective bars at the top of your screen, making it easier to ID by sight. The mixed up colors were driving me up the wall. I'm so glad the dev guy is awesome about player suggestions.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
:psyduck: Amazing, I just got /ignored by one of the apparently oldest players in the game because I suggested different mechanics for the cow form, that he was horribly offended by because not being able to sell anything or use the bank is extremely important, because the game isn't about "efficiency or fun" it's about "immersion" and I quote "the opinion of someone with less than a week of played is worthless". /played elitism and cow roleplaying, folks.

I sincerely hope that the suggestions of the guy who wants the cow necromancer experience to be as immersive and realistic as possible isn't being listened to, but he's apparently the expert in all things cow and everyone bows to his wisdom.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 17, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wolpertinger posted:

because not being able to sell anything or use the bank

I refuse to get involved in the rest of that slapfight, which is why I stopped participating in chat once it got rolling between you, but I did point out that this is really not true. You can sell EVERYTHING and also use the bank while an animal. It is just mildly less convenient.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

mushroom_spore posted:

I refuse to get involved in the rest of that slapfight, which is why I stopped participating in chat once it got rolling between you, but I did point out that this is really not true. You can sell EVERYTHING and also use the bank while an animal. It is just mildly less convenient.

The whole thing was just talking about how was that just making it a pointlessly tedious hassle for a thing that a ton of newbies are going to be curious and try out could be a poor decision - it works fine when you're an experienced player and know where the random fairy in the middle of the forest is and have all the skill books you need, but it was pretty massively hugely inconvenient as someone who started out intending to be a cow.

I was more incredulous about him throwing an ignore over a cow argument because of /played time. Not that it really matters, just :psyduck: at cows being taken so seriously.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

:laffo: at anyone seriously pulling the immersion card in this game with talking animals, twicedicked elves, and psychic mantises wearing tiny hats.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Wolpertinger posted:

:psyduck: Amazing, I just got /ignored by one of the apparently oldest players in the game

Hahha, was his name Liendra or something like that? Cause I got ignored when he made a comment about Putin and I made another comment. He went ape and ignored me and some other dude, was just loving balls out ANGRY.

edit: oh yeah wolpertinger.. you're a goon, hi :)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Can someone quiz Mister Immersion on the thriving ecology of the crypt? What brings together all these spiders, rhinoceri, dinosaurs, and explosive flaming sheep?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wolpertinger posted:

The whole thing was just talking about how was that just making it a pointlessly tedious hassle for a thing that a ton of newbies are going to be curious and try out could be a poor decision - it works fine when you're an experienced player and know where the random fairy in the middle of the forest is and have all the skill books you need, but it was pretty massively hugely inconvenient as someone who started out intending to be a cow.

The fact that cow is placed in the tutorial and is ridiculously easy to cure (I think there are at least three different options, two of which other players can help you with in about two minutes) is basically a fairly safe crash course in What You'll Need To Play An Animal For Real; I think most people who are interested do a test run, then revert to prepare, then get cursed again for real later. That's what I did anyhow. So I dunno, the system doesn't bother me. Although I'm still kinda :psyduck: about that one other guy I was talking to before the fight broke out who was really mad that cow is easy to cure because immersion.

You can also ask for help with some stuff. I forgot to get my spider's Surveying book first, but someone got it for me in exchange for a stack of baked beets. I think I had to get help with the teleport book too because the Eltibule fairy only likes herbivores and I didn't have favor with Flia, the community's pretty good for things like that.

Also there's this badly organized thread of animal info I scraped together between myself and other players http://projectgorgon.com/forum/general-gorgon-discussion/301-full-list-of-banned-skills-for-animals I'm not going to bother overhauling it until I can survive in Kur/the rest of Sun Vale/Nexus, but it's fairly passable now considering the wiki is not great in this area.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 17, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

:psyduck: Amazing, I just got /ignored by one of the apparently oldest players in the game because I suggested different mechanics for the cow form, that he was horribly offended by because not being able to sell anything or use the bank is extremely important, because the game isn't about "efficiency or fun" it's about "immersion" and I quote "the opinion of someone with less than a week of played is worthless". /played elitism and cow roleplaying, folks.

I sincerely hope that the suggestions of the guy who wants the cow necromancer experience to be as immersive and realistic as possible isn't being listened to, but he's apparently the expert in all things cow and everyone bows to his wisdom.

Yeah I mean this is a fun game but it also serves a specific purpose as The Heir To The True Throne of Old School MMOs for some of the players. As such, it can do no wrong and also people will always support stupid bullshit. There's even a thread on the Project: Gorgon forums where some people were complaining that using an exclamation point effect, specifically, to show you that help is coming kills immersion because wow has exclamation points over mobs' heads. The good news is the main dev has straight up rejected their dumbass premise:

Citan posted:

There's an old saying in MMO design: "don't balance via tedium in an MMO, because players will do it anyway and then bitch about it." What that means is that it doesn't work very well to make something super dull so that players won't do it. They'll do it anyway -- some even claiming that it's fun (because they're chatting with friends) -- and then get burned out and quit because it's too grindy.

Citan seems like a guy with his head on straight so just make sure you put feedback where he can see it and it'll get taken seriously even if wackos come out against it.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Hey wtsnaename I have your fire belt. Son of a bitch took a trophy skin to make.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

I un-ironically love that this game that gives no real fucks is taken so seriously by people. Also I love that the devs have no problem telling these guys where to stick it.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
One idea for animal forms that could make them simultaneously more fun/accessible while also different enough to be something of a serious decision would be to add a larger number of animal, or animal-friendly NPCs that only talk to or give quests/services to animals - a secret society of all the pets and livestock and some wild animals. There's already the suspicious cow, flia, and harry, so why not go further. Then, being a cow changes more than 'you can use cow skills but half the npcs don't want to talk to you and you can't use half the skills' . Animal forms shouldn't be a 'punishment' considering how amusing they are.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Oh speaking of Harry, I need help from some non-werewolves with him. I was able to shop with him while a cow, but now that I'm a pig suddenly all I can get is the lycanthropy quest dialogue or close the window. Same for my spider alt.

I'm not sure if he now only sells to werewolves (my ww alt is fine), or if it's werewolves + cow since cow is meant to be the easy/tutorial beast and gets extra help in general, or if something else is going on. Originally I was told by a player that had played every curse that Harry should sell to every animal, so I'm not sure what exactly the change is. If we can figure it out I'll go update that thread. :science:

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Wolpertinger posted:

One idea for animal forms that could make them simultaneously more fun/accessible while also different enough to be something of a serious decision would be to add a larger number of animal, or animal-friendly NPCs that only talk to or give quests/services to animals - a secret society of all the pets and livestock and some wild animals. There's already the suspicious cow, flia, and harry, so why not go further. Then, being a cow changes more than 'you can use cow skills but half the npcs don't want to talk to you and you can't use half the skills' . Animal forms shouldn't be a 'punishment' considering how amusing they are.

It's not a punishment, it's a hard choice. You can always turn back.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Glug I got some trophy skins for you in return, I think.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

glug posted:

It's not a punishment, it's a hard choice. You can always turn back.

Yeah, I meant that in the sense that it's technically a "punishment" for losing to the cow boss, but that shouldn't be a reason by itself to make things unnecessarily irritating.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There would need to be more infrastructure in place to handle makeshift player communities, but I imagine animal villages wouldn't be that different from "orc" players in old UO.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The cow curse in the tutorial cave is hilarious. It's kind of a dick move in terms of easing players into the game, though.

Then again, the game is still in alpha :v:

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Alright I was goofing around last night, picked up fire magic and thankfully the vendor had fire dust used. But in picking up skills just to have them I picked up surveying. How does it work because the way I understand it is you level up making surveying maps and the maps require the Redwall Crystal that you get from surveying. I probably misunderstood something along the way and just need some guidance.

Also is there another tier of animal I can get in animal handling before cats at 20? Or am I just stuck with a rat until then.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The cow curse in the tutorial cave is hilarious. It's kind of a dick move in terms of easing players into the game, though.

The game does give you all kinds of warning text and notes from the developer and literal sirens and flashing lights telling you not to do it. :v: It kinda does double duty as a safe way to try out animal life as well as get newbies used to the idea of "when this game tells you to think before carelessly throwing yourself at a boss solo, it means it" IMO. Some of the later boss curses are really nasty and don't have easy alternate cures like cow, so it's not bad reasoning.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Alright I was goofing around last night, picked up fire magic and thankfully the vendor had fire dust used. But in picking up skills just to have them I picked up surveying. How does it work because the way I understand it is you level up making surveying maps and the maps require the Redwall Crystal that you get from surveying. I probably misunderstood something along the way and just need some guidance.

Redwalls also drop randomly from most mobs in the area and at a high rate from the red deer (do a few noob quests starting with Blanche until you get an awl to tap the big red crystal north of town). You can frequently buy them used too. You really only need one or two to get started, as the recipe won't always even consume the crystal. You will end up with a ton of them overall (you usually get multiples from the survey). Redwalls are also used to make later tiers of gem survey, so keep 'em.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

The recipe only has a 20% chance of using the ingredient and you'll gain much more redwall crystals by using the surveys you make than you used in making them.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

mushroom_spore posted:

The game does give you all kinds of warning text and notes from the developer and literal sirens and flashing lights telling you not to do it. :v: It kinda does double duty as a safe way to try out animal life as well as get newbies used to the idea of "when this game tells you to think before carelessly throwing yourself at a boss solo, it means it" IMO. Some of the later boss curses are really nasty and don't have easy alternate cures like cow, so it's not bad reasoning.

Redwalls also drop randomly from most mobs in the area and at a high rate from the red deer (do a few noob quests starting with Blanche until you get an awl to tap the big red crystal north of town). You can frequently buy them used too. You really only need one or two to get started, as the recipe won't always even consume the crystal. You will end up with a ton of them overall (you usually get multiples from the survey). Redwalls are also used to make later tiers of gem survey, so keep 'em.

Thanks for this I've been pretty good about trying to figure as much out on my own but this had me stumped last night. Also congrats to these devs for making a game feel more complete than most of the beta's I have been in the past couple years.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Spreadsheet doesn't have toolcrafting, but I'm at 42 I think, and I'll max it out tonight, especially if someone is around that has space to sell crap to Yetta for me, cause I've tapped out anyone that buys the item I'm grinding.

That means I can get folks Organ Knives (5% chance of organs when butchering), +5 autopsy later on, and +10 skinning knives um.. after I hit 50 and then decide to raise HAMMER to 30. So.. +8 skinning knives for a bit.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

glug posted:

Spreadsheet doesn't have toolcrafting,
Added as 'TLC'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Hammer seems like a fairly decent set anyway honestly. ;)