Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I can't wait for miiverse on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Louisgod posted:

It won't be out until late 2017, if that, just in time for President Cruz.

Help us all if Penelope Cruz is president. Unless you mean President of Nintendo in which case okay cool

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

raditts posted:

They made that Tipping Stars game cross-buy at least, so there is hope.

Cross buy is worthless on a game like that, need to have cross play. I don't want to grind through those easy levels more than once

jaik3n
Sep 18, 2009
So I just 3 starred every non-mirrored track, trying to unlock the mirror tracks.

For some reason I thought you had to 3 Star every 150cc prix to unlock mirror. I almost killed myself.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

whaley posted:

it's going to be one phone app and it's going to be miiverse and that's it. I really don't see any effort going into making mobile stuff unless it's something you download to interact with a game you bought for a Nintendo console.
They're making games and apparently they're supposed to start being released this year so we will probably see something at E3.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

burger time posted:

I can't wait for miiverse on my phone.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MinibarMatchman posted:

The day we never have to buy Super Mario Bros 3 for a 5th loving time after owning it on like 3 different consoles will be a victorious one indeed

Except you just have to buy it one more time under the new unified account system!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I've never heard of DeNA. What are they known for?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bold prediction: The NX is a system that you hook up to your TV, and you play it with a controller, and it does basically what game consoles tend to do.

The only reason Iwata even mentioned the NX was so that it would be clear Nintendo aren't "pulling out" of the dedicated game hardware business at all (which is something that armchair analysts often declare they need to do). If he hadn't thrown in that tease and explanation, there would probably be headlines about Nintendo abandoning their platforms. A 2016 unveiling and 2017 release would put it right in line with the usual gap between Nintendo home consoles, so it's pretty reasonable to assume that's what it is.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Heran Bago posted:

Being small enough so Nintendo could buy the majority of their stock holdings and not being entrenched in the app market already like King Games which would have made a joint venture possibly effect their bottom line.

The NX is the videogame equivalent to the XFL.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

Bold prediction: The NX is a system that you hook up to your TV, and you play it with a controller, and it does basically what game consoles tend to do.

The only reason Iwata even mentioned the NX was so that it would be clear Nintendo aren't "pulling out" of the dedicated game hardware business at all (which is something that armchair analysts often declare they need to do). If he hadn't thrown in that tease and explanation, there would probably be headlines about Nintendo abandoning their platforms. A 2016 unveiling and 2017 release would put it right in line with the usual gap between Nintendo home consoles, so it's pretty reasonable to assume that's what it is.

I'm getting old where I just don't think 5 years is enough time for a console lifespan.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Heran Bago posted:

DeNA is Japanese mobile/PC portal that has been in the business for a long time. They own Mobage which is a mix of gaming and a social network. DeNA used to dominate feature phones before the entry of smart devices. Nevertheless, they've managed to have success in taking licensed IPs from partners and making games that are tailored for the typical mobile audience. They're very good in leveraging the strength of the IP and launching a game that can be successful monetized. They've had success entering overseas markets, such as with Rage of Bahamut in Europe and North America.

This deal is quite valuable to DeNA since they are reliant on pre-existing IPs. Nintendo has popular IPs that were well known around the world. A Nintendo IP combined with DeNA knowledge of the mobile gaming market is a very powerful combination since DeNA has a proven track record. In particular, it would help them have better success entering non-Japanese markets.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Nintendo, a third-party smartphone developer? Impossible!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sunning posted:

DeNA is Japanese mobile/PC portal that has been in the business for a long time. They own Mobage which is a mix of gaming and a social network. DeNA used to dominate feature phones before the entry of smart devices. Nevertheless, they've managed to have success in taking licensed IPs from partners and making games that are tailored for the typical mobile audience. They're very good in leveraging the strength of the IP and launching a game that can be successful monetized. They've had success entering overseas markets, such as with Rage of Bahamut in Europe and North America.

This deal is quite valuable to DeNA since they are reliant on pre-existing IPs. Nintendo has popular IPs that were well known around the world. A Nintendo IP combined with DeNA knowledge of the mobile gaming market is a very powerful combination since DeNA has a proven track record. In particular, it would help them have better success entering non-Japanese markets.

Gonna call it now, next 2d style Zelda game is going to have a fuckload of Freemium/P2W poo poo attached to it.

People will buy into the system because of Classic Zelda and they will spend hundreds of dollars on a single game because they are fools.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The Taint Reaper posted:

People will buy into the system because of Classic Zelda and they will spend hundreds of dollars on a single game because they are fools.

yeah okay

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Taint Reaper posted:

Gonna call it now, next 2d style Zelda game is going to have a fuckload of Freemium/P2W poo poo attached to it.

It'll be like Link Between Worlds where you have to rent items to get into dungeons, but instead of farming for rupees in-game, it's all done through in-app purchases.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

yeah okay

Outside of Xenoblade none of those games ran me over 20 bucks.

a good 3/4ths of my gamecube libary ran me under a dollar because of Gamestop liquidation BOGos.

Twilight Princess was under 3 dollars after all was said and done.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Can you not feel it

The scythe gently rasping across your perineum

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Taint Reaper posted:

The NX is the videogame equivalent to the XFL.

So... bring a lot of innovations to the industry that others will later adopt and not give proper credit for, all while being dead after the first year because of CEO stubbornness and a lack of support?

Sounds about right I suppose.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

So... bring a lot of innovations to the industry that others will later adopt and not give proper credit for, all while being dead after the first year because of CEO stubbornness and a lack of support?

Sounds about right I suppose.

They're going to be competing with the same crowd as Apple who is the established innovator, it will not end well.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fremry posted:

I'm getting old where I just don't think 5 years is enough time for a console lifespan.

Really? I would think the opposite, a ~$250 purchase every five years isn't bad when you don't have to scrape together allowance money or beg your parents for a birthday present. If you're a Nintendo fan it's almost a bonus since their home consoles are chronically lagging behind in essential features (discs, online, hd, etc).

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

Really? I would think the opposite, a ~$250 purchase every five years isn't bad when you don't have to scrape together allowance money or beg your parents for a birthday present. If you're a Nintendo fan it's almost a bonus since their home consoles are chronically lagging behind in essential features (discs, online, hd, etc).

Yeah, I don't know. I just feel like 5 years isn't a long time anymore.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The Wii-U can be hacked and have cheat devices activated for it's games where as Sony and Microsoft will punish you for cheating online and snagging illgotten trophies.

not that I have first hand experience of this ofcourse...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Outside of Xenoblade none of those games ran me over 20 bucks.

a good 3/4ths of my gamecube libary ran me under a dollar because of Gamestop liquidation BOGos.

Twilight Princess was under 3 dollars after all was said and done.

tell us more about the sick deals you got on so many bad wii games

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

MinibarMatchman posted:

tell us more about the sick deals you got on so many bad wii games

Hey getting a 60 dollar out of print game for 15 bucks is worth it if you have to buy 6 other awful games for under a dollar

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

They're going to be competing with the same crowd as Apple who is the established innovator, it will not end well.

The NX is probably not competing with Apple, because the NX is a separate project from today's mobile-related announcements.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The Taint Reaper posted:

You are dumb as loving hell.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Everyone just got Taint Reaped.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

raditts posted:

The DS was supposed to be an addition rather than a replacement for the Gameboy series, so who knows.

Didn't the DS originally start development because Hiroshi Yamauchi wanted a Nintendo-branded PDA?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

Which Apple games on iOS and Android will they be competing with?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Just stop reading Taint Reaper's posts

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fremry posted:

Nintendo also abandons their home consoles during its last year.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
NX is going to be the platform that allows you to play Nintendo games across devices like big M said that he wanted a while ago. The next generation Nintendo console, handheld and now mobile devices will all use it so that the same game can be played on whatever.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Didn't the DS originally start development because Hiroshi Yamauchi wanted a Nintendo-branded PDA?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

NX is going to be the platform that allows you to play Nintendo games across devices like big M said that he wanted a while ago. The next generation Nintendo console, handheld and now mobile devices will all use it so that the same game can be played on whatever.
They said specifically that it was dedicated game hardware and mentioned it was proof that they are not abandoning consoles/handhelds, and that it won't be revealed until next year. The smartphone stuff is being revealed THIS year. Whatever service platform is coming, NX isn't what it's called.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Timby posted:

The Game Boy Advance was also supposed to have PDA-like features or at least being able to read your email on it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope we'll be able to play Wii U games (and maybe 3DS?) on the NX. Nintendo's backwards compatibility is the best thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

This thing, somehow, had some sick music for GB.

Fun trivia: DSiWare was a thing before the AppStore. Apple started the AppStore specifically because they saw the Nintendo potential along with the massive $$$$ Wii was pulling in with really simple games.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Fremry posted:

That's because last gen lasted too loving long. I blame Bush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fremry posted:

It's okay, you're not a child anymore

• Locked thread