Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Control Volume posted:

Do you have any services beyond just electricity and water set up for that area? I've found that when a separated area doesn't want to grow, plopping down a couple things like an elementary school or fire house raises the worth enough to make a couple buildings appear, and once one is there the rest follow pretty effortlessly. I also lower residential taxes occasionally and I don't know what that does but I like to think it helps!!

Oh, I just meant that I have the roads all set up; I don't have the area zoned for anything since there's no demand. I'll check if zoning/adding services creates demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is there any way to fix railroad congestion? I have two cargo stations hooked up to the outside connection, and if I hook up my passenger station the main railroad track just gets slammed with trains.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Badger of Basra posted:

Is there any way to fix railroad congestion? I have two cargo stations hooked up to the outside connection, and if I hook up my passenger station the main railroad track just gets slammed with trains.

Don't hook your intracity trains up to the regional line, simple as that. I have two parallel circuits in my city, one for freight (which connects to the region) and one for passengers, which loops within the city.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Badger of Basra posted:

Just like when fighting ghosts, never cross the streams.

Off-map freight and passenger can share a network, just make sure to only have one or two passenger stations.
Your in-city freight system should be totally isolated, sometimes you can share it with the outside world connection but only if your off-map freight traffic is fairly low.
Your in-city passenger system should always be 100% isolated from everything else, SPECIALLY your outside connection. Every passenger station you build that is connected off the map will get a spam of off-map trains.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

simosimo posted:

Wicked, will check that out. Beating a deadhorse here [i apologise], will the sketch models need a UV map, or are they 'generated' from the textures you apply with the face tool yourself.

Bit late but I was tired and fell asleep after having been awake for more than 24 hours to mod this game, but to answer your question:

What happens is you generate U/V coordinates by unwrapping the mesh. You can leave it at that, but a lot of times you'll want to move vertices around a bit to either use all the space efficiently, or to arrange the UVs more sensibly. Edges can be welded together, split, etc. but basically for this game every part of the texture needs to be on one "sheet" or file.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Also just like in real life sometimes government stimulation is needed to get the economy going if it stagnates. Every building you plop needs workers, and R demand is entirely a function of demand for workers. Plop down a freight station? Bam you just generated a bunch of jobs, which stimulates residential demand, which grows enough to generate some I or C demand and suddenly the machine is running again.
Hmm thanks for the tip let me give this a try.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

Oh, I just meant that I have the roads all set up; I don't have the area zoned for anything since there's no demand. I'll check if zoning/adding services creates demand.

'Demand' is a little misleading, even if all three bars are empty you can still zone new neighbourhoods and people will gradually move in. Those bars really only tell you if you have a meaningful shortage of one type of zone, i.e. if there are not enough jobs for your current resident population you'll get some industrial/office demand, etc.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Alakaiser posted:

For all of its flaws, I did like SC2013's baseball field:

I really want a park that looks something like this. Feels like a very important omission for a real good small town aesthetic.

edit: I didn't realize just how similar SC2013's UI is to CS until just now.

It's a good thing since art and UI is where SC really did work and was attractive. Skylines took those and made a great game with them.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Is it possible in the asset editor to import a building model for, say an industrial building, and use it as something else (monument, university, etc)

My main motivation is I want to have plppable industry buildings that have a lot size bigger than 4x4 since wall to wall factories are ruining my immersion

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Jamsque posted:

'Demand' is a little misleading, even if all three bars are empty you can still zone new neighbourhoods and people will gradually move in. Those bars really only tell you if you have a meaningful shortage of one type of zone, i.e. if there are not enough jobs for your current resident population you'll get some industrial/office demand, etc.

I like the idea of a new map having dozens of homeless people already there waiting for you to zone R.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chard posted:

I like the idea of a new map having dozens of homeless people already there waiting for you to zone R.

They are the captains of industry that just left the parasitic "society" behind and are ready to build up your galt's gultch.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

Bit late but I was tired and fell asleep after having been awake for more than 24 hours to mod this game, but to answer your question:

What happens is you generate U/V coordinates by unwrapping the mesh. You can leave it at that, but a lot of times you'll want to move vertices around a bit to either use all the space efficiently, or to arrange the UVs more sensibly. Edges can be welded together, split, etc. but basically for this game every part of the texture needs to be on one "sheet" or file.

I getcha. I found a plugin called SketchUV. If I were to texture the model in Sketchup by choosing and paintdropping the textures i want, could SketchUV generate this one sheet UVmap for me? Had enough learning for one night.

I ended making a piano! Good fun, now to get poo poo working.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If there's no demand for either industry or commercial, will people just NOT bother with those jobs? Commercial places keep getting abandoned cause there aren't enough customers, and industry places keep getting abandoned cause there aren't enough workers, but there's plenty of people! If a commercial area isn't close enough to residential, will people not bother driving there?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

simosimo posted:

I getcha. I found a plugin called SketchUV. If I were to texture the model in Sketchup by choosing and paintdropping the textures i want, could SketchUV generate this one sheet UVmap for me? Had enough learning for one night.

I ended making a piano! Good fun, now to get poo poo working.

No idea. I've always done UV/texture mapping the normal (less intuitive) way and the texture images pixel-by-pixel. Max iirc has what you're looking for I think, or at least its UV tools are fairly good, but I hated using Max and no longer qualify for a student license anyway since their requirements changed.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Rather than Residential/Commercial/Industrial demand just think of those three bars as representing homelessness / shoelessness / joblessness. Although I guess shoelessness gets lumped in together with crushing boredom just to make it confusing.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Demand and unemployment seem to be vaguely decoupled but basically build industrial and commercial based on unemployment and just use the demand to figure out what you need more of between commercial and industry, really.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is not-enough-workers abandonment connected to location or type of industry? I have a bunch of industrial zones that basically stay abandoned, but I don't have any problem filling more offices. I'm not sure if it's connected to my new industrial zones being out of the city where farmland is. The only distant industrial zone I had that was successful was for oil but I ran out of oil after a few months.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

No idea. I've always done UV/texture mapping the normal (less intuitive) way and the texture images pixel-by-pixel. Max iirc has what you're looking for I think, or at least its UV tools are fairly good, but I hated using Max and no longer qualify for a student license anyway since their requirements changed.

Cheers for your input - gonna hit the books and learn. Quite enjoyed what I know so far.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Baronjutter posted:

Off-map freight and passenger can share a network, just make sure to only have one or two passenger stations.
Your in-city freight system should be totally isolated, sometimes you can share it with the outside world connection but only if your off-map freight traffic is fairly low.
Your in-city passenger system should always be 100% isolated from everything else, SPECIALLY your outside connection. Every passenger station you build that is connected off the map will get a spam of off-map trains.

I would dearly, dearly love a central station building that actually acts as a terminus for trains and allows multiple railway lines all to join one station without joining each other. Being able to have the interrail connections come straight into my downtown area for outside freight and tourists, along with allowing in-city deliveries from local freight and commuters on both urban rail and metro, all without allowing a train from one system onto any others would alleviate so much grief in regards to train traffic in this game (though smaller stations which are effectively just platforms and elevated stations would be next on that list for me).

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is not-enough-workers abandonment connected to location or type of industry? I have a bunch of industrial zones that basically stay abandoned, but I don't have any problem filling more offices. I'm not sure if it's connected to my new industrial zones being out of the city where farmland is. The only distant industrial zone I had that was successful was for oil but I ran out of oil after a few months.

There's quite a good chance that your education level is high enough, and unemployment is low enough that people who are out of work are not willing to work in industry due to their educations. Low level industry has large numbers of jobs for the uneducated, and you might just not have enough people like that any more. Overeducated people will take those jobs, but only if there's nothing else and unemployment is high. The solution I found was to zone an industrial area just a few buildings at a time, in an area with high service and park coverage. The buildings would quickly upgrade to level 3 and then remain stable because level 3 industry has more high-education jobs. Then I could zone the next few buildings, and repeat. Zoning too many buildings at once just led to the small team of low-education workers spreading too thin and buildings getting abandoned.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 17, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Something that trips people up is that employment is NOT agent based, it's entirely statistical. So if a building is missing workers it's not because of distance or transport, it's simply because there physically are not enough people in the city to work all the jobs. Jobs are assigned though by distance first, so it's usually always the zones at the edge of your city that get abandoned first. Worker agents going to their job successfully just gives the business some insignificantly tiny bonus to profitability or something.

Basically if you have any R demand it means someone is missing workers. Lack of education can limit employment but contrary to what many of us previously though, over-educated workers slum it if they have to.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

Check what kind of education levels are needed for the abandoned industry. My best guess is that your industry is demanding uneducated workers and don't have enough uneducated/low education cims.

Edit: IM WRONG DISREGARD EVERYTHING I SAY

BallsFalls fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 26, 2015

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I've also been tinkering with this. Since baseball fields seem to be wanted.

Started with the sandlot.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Enos Shenk posted:

I've also been tinkering with this. Since baseball fields seem to be wanted.

Started with the sandlot.

Reminds me of the Hey Arnold episode where they convert a vacant lot into a baseball field :)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The real 'problem' with sports field is probably animating little dudes to play on them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BallsFalls posted:

Check what kind of education levels are needed for the abandoned industry. My best guess is that your industry is demanding uneducated workers and don't have enough uneducated/low education cims.

This isn't true. They dont have enough cims, period.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Is it just me or are all the citizens white?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Something that trips people up is that employment is NOT agent based, it's entirely statistical. So if a building is missing workers it's not because of distance or transport, it's simply because there physically are not enough people in the city to work all the jobs. Jobs are assigned though by distance first, so it's usually always the zones at the edge of your city that get abandoned first. Worker agents going to their job successfully just gives the business some insignificantly tiny bonus to profitability or something.

That's kind of what I suspected, since it looked like in some instances the workers in high density residential were all getting pulled into the nearby commercial jobs instead. I guess I should just keep building more residential until unemployment starts rising?

Also, this might just be a matter of taste, but I was kind of disappointed by the fact that high density zones only hold like 4-5 times as many people as low density. It was really satisfying finally getting skyscrapers in Simcity 4 and having an inner city that held as many people as a small town. Although I'm not sure if traffic model could handle it without more transportation options

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I see everyone is using nice color mods, it makes it so much more vibrant

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

Something something city crime percentage.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Enigma89 posted:

Except on the basketball court

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They all look like bugs to me, crawling in and out of their metro holes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Also just like in real life sometimes government stimulation is needed to get the economy going if it stagnates. Every building you plop needs workers, and R demand is entirely a function of demand for workers. Plop down a freight station? Bam you just generated a bunch of jobs, which stimulates residential demand, which grows enough to generate some I or C demand and suddenly the machine is running again.

The big problem with the park bug is that it reduces demand for C but without providing jobs.

Also C and I sort of share the same demand pool. To get a balanced economy you should always be trying to kill your R demand and only building the absolute minimum of shops and factories needed. You want as few shops or factories as possible as they generate a lions share of traffic. Build as much office as you can possibly get away with, only build as much industry as your local commercial zones need to supply them with goods, and at the same time build the minimum amount of commercial zones.

Basically look at everything in the game existing in support of your residential zones. Maximize residential, minimize everything else.

Doesn't industry generate income from exports? I thought the entire point was to make shitloads of money from exporting all the wood.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

They all look like bugs to me, crawling in and out of their metro holes.

They are bugs SynthOrange, they are.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

simosimo posted:

Firing up the Sketchup debate again now that i'm done with work.

So I exported an fbx, and i have a folder of textures used (which I applied to the shapes which make up my basic building). I put these in the import folder and when I choose the model from the list, nothing shows up.

I've spent the last hour trying to find a tutorial but there's nothing. Hoping to find an obscure reddit post in the meantime explaining it step by step in detail.

Hey there Simosimo, this is a result of the FBX file having an improper/no UVW unwrap setup. As Noyemi mentioned, you'll want to find a way to generate UVs. And because of that, you won't be able to use repeating textures like it sounds like you have. You'll have to create maps (that look like this) where each "part" is flattened out and textured individually.

Go read up on uvw unwraps, diffuse texturing, and ambient occlusion baking. That should be a ton of material to get you started. :)

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
The ex-Maxis employee who has been making custom assets for CSKY has set up a crowdfunding page. It looks like he's hoping to turn modding into a part-time job while he looks for another job. His work is really good, so it might be worth supporting him: https://www.patreon.com/gula

EDIT: For the modders in the thread, that guy has posted a time lapse video on how he made his in-n-out asset:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haio5OWhYD8

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 17, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't industry generate income from exports? I thought the entire point was to make shitloads of money from exporting all the wood.

Industry generates income but also tons of traffic. I have no problem with money in the game, by the time you unlock offices you're probably sitting on millions in the bank and might as well be playing in unlimited money mode. Traffic on the other hand...

Depends on your goals. If you want tons and tons of money then more industry is good, but eventually the main bottleneck to your success is traffic, not money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, yeah but turning off the traffic by getting rid of industry isn't very challenging. You get lots of money either way but I dunno, I kinda like trying to build the most efficient city, more income per head and whatnot.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409590909

Saw someone ask for my lightless 6 lane intersection, here you go.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Baronjutter posted:

As someone who's taken Amtrak in the midwest knows it's a horrible idea.

*continues waiting another hour for freight train traffic to die down*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

10% of my city's population just moved out. :stare:

I've had water and sewage running just fine, police, fire and health service coverage is solid, schools are okay, and then... 10% of the population moved out. It kinda seems tied to when I up some zoning to high-density residential and commercial from low-density, but I have no idea why that would take the city's population down that far.