Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Four Score posted:

It's actually a dualsaber :ssh:

In that case the other guy should just Force-activate the other blade to give Darth Baldie a crotch full of lightpoker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's more than a dualsaber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdEO76klfrs

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

As lukewarm as I am on the series so far, I really like the logic the show runners gave for the Inquisitor's lightsaber design. The Inquisitor is a Force user, but he isn't a Sith, and he isn't anywhere close to being on their level in terms of either power or skill. So, like Grievous before him, he compensates for his inadequacies by employing flashy, over-complicated lightsaber gimmicks that are really only useful for intimidation purposes.

Also, it's just plain goofy-looking. And I'm always a fan of that.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And just like with Grievous, once you get past the intimidation aspect, there's suddenly a really obvious and simple solution to deal with it:

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
My very favorite part of the prequel trilogy is Obi-wan taking out Grievous Indiana Jones style with a blaster after he does all his literally flashy moves. My favorite part ends with him throwing away said blaster without recognizing its intrinsic value, unlike Jones who puts the pistol that saved his life right back on his hip.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Trudis posted:

My very favorite part of the prequel trilogy is Obi-wan taking out Grievous Indiana Jones style with a blaster after he does all his literally flashy moves. My favorite part ends with him throwing away said blaster without recognizing its intrinsic value, unlike Jones who puts the pistol that saved his life right back on his hip.
Obi-wan lacks the true rugged frontier spirit of the self-made drug runner. If he'd really accepted the axiom that A = A, the Republic wouldn't have fallen.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are there Randroids who like Star Wars? What a subculture to see on safari.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Are there Randroids who like Star Wars? What a subculture to see on safari.

Everybody likes Star Wars (exxcept Star Wars fans) so yes.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Objectivists/libertarians are specifically fans of Lando Calrissian, self-made entrepreneur.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Objectivists/libertarians are specifically fans of Lando Calrissian, self-made entrepreneur.

Lando is not white, no way would they be fans of him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

reading posted:

L. Neil Smith, noted libertarian wackjob, did write a trilogy of Lando books.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

reading posted:

You've got it backwards. Lando is cool and black so they want to be like him.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Robotnik Nudes posted:

You've got it backwards. Lando is cool and black so they want to be like him.

Exactly: Lando is good-black, while Chewbaca is acceptably black and Jar Jar bad-black.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Exactly: Lando is good-black, while Chewbaca is acceptably black and Jar Jar bad-black.

"Good"? Even though he stabbed Han in the back?

I don't get how they so easily forgave Calrissian's betrayal.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jar-Jar is orange. He's an orange person and it's very rude of you to call him black.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

redshirt posted:

"Good"? Even though he stabbed Han in the back?

I don't get how they so easily forgave Calrissian's betrayal.
Lando was a wealthy and connected person who briefly wavered under massive Imperial pressure and then joined the Rebellion with a full throttle, helping with the escape of a Rebel dignitary and the last surviving Jedi Knight. (Well, Yoda, but) His only "crime" was not immediately resisting overwhelming force.

He did let them take Han away but that also was clearly when he pivoted away, and you can't blame the man for not fighting Darth Vader over what may have been an already-dead guy. After they left Cloud City as far as I know there's no evidence he was anything other than a valiant Rebel.

Lando did nothing wrong.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN0U1EnuNro

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Nessus posted:

Lando was a wealthy and connected person who briefly wavered under massive Imperial pressure and then joined the Rebellion with a full throttle, helping with the escape of a Rebel dignitary and the last surviving Jedi Knight. (Well, Yoda, but) His only "crime" was not immediately resisting overwhelming force.

He did let them take Han away but that also was clearly when he pivoted away, and you can't blame the man for not fighting Darth Vader over what may have been an already-dead guy. After they left Cloud City as far as I know there's no evidence he was anything other than a valiant Rebel.

Lando did nothing wrong.

Lando was a flashily dressed new-money charmer that ultimately returned to his scoundrelly ways to be a sidekick fighting The Man, in a film released at the safe tail-end of the blaxploitation craze. There's not much more to him than that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

Lando was a flashily dressed new-money charmer that ultimately returned to his scoundrelly ways to be a sidekick fighting The Man, in a film released at the safe tail-end of the blaxploitation craze. There's not much more to him than that.
Are you saying Blackstar Warrior isn't canon?

I get the feeling Lando was there in no small part because there was a real question if Harrison Ford would come back for Jedi.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Jar-Jar is orange. He's an orange person and it's very rude of you to call him black.

Jar Jar is from New Jersey?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
The one true Objectivist hero of Star Wars is clearly Nute Gunray. Dude decided space taxes were too high, went Galt by refusing to carry out his shipping contract with Naboo, and was prepared to let an entire planet starve to death to prove his point. That's a man with principles.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Still think that blockade was a bunch of bullshit, Gungans look edible.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Hm, i wonder what they would taste like...

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Eastbound Spider posted:

Hm, i wonder what they would taste like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_I4KDExIsk

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

He is holding an ice cream maker. When the empire comes knocking, you gotta escape with only the essentials. Ice cream is life.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

He is holding an ice cream maker. When the empire comes knocking, you gotta escape with only the essentials. Ice cream is life.

The guy running from right to left in that gif is literally just wearing regular 1970s clothes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Corek posted:

The guy running from right to left in that gif is literally just wearing regular 1970s clothes.

That is Lando, and that is part of what makes him great.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Cnut the Great posted:

The one true Objectivist hero of Star Wars is clearly Nute Gunray. Dude decided space taxes were too high, went Galt by refusing to carry out his shipping contract with Naboo, and was prepared to let an entire planet starve to death to prove his point. That's a man with principles.

Nute Gunray is my kind of objectivist because he constantly spends all his money on unwinnable political battles and gets murdered at the end.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

nute gunray is a stupid rear end in a top hat idiothead

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Nessus posted:

Are you saying Blackstar Warrior isn't canon?

I get the feeling Lando was there in no small part because there was a real question if Harrison Ford would come back for Jedi.

Well he was wearing Han's clothing at the end of ESB.

I said come in! posted:

He has a lot of fans.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

You mean he has a costume that even cheap/lazy mofos like me can afford/be assed to replicate.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
It looks like they are all carrying the same exact object, is it really an ice cream maker?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

You mean he has a costume that even cheap/lazy mofos like me can afford/be assed to replicate.

Star Wars fans are gonna beat this to death if they haven't already.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

jet sanchEz posted:

It looks like they are all carrying the same exact object, is it really an ice cream maker?

Yep.
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-68330N-Automatic-Ice-Cream/dp/B0009A0N4E

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Nute Gunray is my kind of objectivist because he constantly spends all his money on unwinnable political battles and gets murdered at the end.

Also he's a sucker being used by an authoritarian looking to establish a dictatorship. I support any portrayal of libertarians that makes them out to be blinkered morons incapable of seeing the bigger picture.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the best. The guy to the left's face sells it.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

I thought that too, until someone else pointed out that fact. My child mind couldn't comprehend Luke Skywalker, of all people, considered suicide. I assumed he had a plan.

I only recently realized it was suicide too. I thought that Luke had a plan to escape.

What do you think would have happened if Luke hadn't jumped?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Nirvikalpa posted:

I only recently realized it was suicide too. I thought that Luke had a plan to escape.

What do you think would have happened if Luke hadn't jumped?

Vader would have abducted him with his stormtroopers and hid him from the Emperor where he would go and try and convince him to join him and usurp the Empire as father and son for eternity the duration of Episode VI: The Last Temptation of Luke Skywalker.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

NEW book coming out to tie the gap between ESB and TFA

So is this the "new EU"? Or is it "canon"?

:words:

quote:

WHAT HAPPENED AFTER ENDOR? FIND OUT IN STAR WARS: AFTERMATH
By now, I hope you’ve all read or heard about our exciting new publishing program that was announced earlier this week: “The Journey to The Force Awakens.” (And if you haven’t, go read about it here) We’ll be releasing about 20 books this fall, some of which take place right after the end of Return of the Jedi. The books – which range from activity books for kids to comics and novels for adult fans – will contain hints about The Force Awakens, including new starships, planets, characters, and subtle clues about what happened to our heroes in the months following the Battle of Endor. Right now I’m excited to tell you about Del Rey’s contribution to the program: the novel Aftermath.

I’m also excited to share with you that Aftermath will be written by Chuck Wendig, the critically-acclaimed author of Blackbirds, Mockingbird, Under the Empyrean Sky, and many other novels, as well as countless blog posts about the craft and business of writing. We’re thrilled that he agreed to work on this epic new project with us.

The second Death Star has been destroyed. Rumors are flying that the Emperor and his enforcer, Darth Vader, are dead. A new government is forming to replace the Empire. But the galaxy is a big place, and the fallout of this cataclysm will affect different worlds in different ways. Does everyone accept the fall of Imperial rule? Has everyone even heard the life-altering news? What rushes in to fill the vacuum the Empire has left? And who will try to stop them? Those are some of the themes we’ll be exploring in Aftermath, and as a lifelong Star Wars fan, just writing those words gives me chills. I can’t wait for our first canon glimpse into the state of the galaxy after the Battle of Endor.

What’s more, Aftermath will be the first book in a trilogy that begins to bridge the Star Wars timeline between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. There is so much unknown between the Battle of Endor and the events of The Force Awakens, and we’re excited to take our first step into that space.

Obviously I wish I could tell you more about the story, but I can’t just yet. What I can reveal is that you will be introduced to a sweeping new cast of characters, along with a fan favorite from the films. And who knows what other familiar faces will pop up along the way? And once you’ve seen The Force Awakens in movie theaters, you may find that certain names and places in Aftermath have a relevance you never knew–so keep your eyes wide open!

The one person more excited about Aftermath than the Del Rey team and I is Chuck Wendig! Chuck is a lifelong Star Wars fan himself, and it’s been an absolute pleasure working with him thus far. We asked Chuck to share a few words about being asked to write this novel, and here’s what he said: “My earliest — and still one of my best — movie-going experiences as a kid was being a four-year-old watching The Empire Strikes Back at a drive-in theater with my sister…My jaw dropped and I don’t think I’ve found it, yet. Those movies opened up a world for me, and my love of storytelling comes from them and from the galaxy of smaller, connected stories, too — from the toys to the games to the books. In fact, one of the first novels I ever read was the novelization of A New Hope. I have a son who will in a few short months be my age when I saw Empire, so to be involved with the Star Wars universe just as the new film is coming out — it feels like not only something akin to kismet, but a great and powerful privilege.”

Chuck isn’t the only one feeling the weight of that privilege. This is a story unlike any we’ve told before. And it all begins in just six short months! I hope you’ll eagerly await Aftermath‘s September release along with us until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
All SW literature and comics are now canon with the movies. I'm guessing they'll be able to get away with that for now more easily since it's all pre-TFA between movies gap fillers.

I'm sure they'll begin to run into problems once they start doing the one-shot movies which will take place throughout the PT/OT/ST time periods.

• Locked thread